3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driver seat replacement - dealership full of u-kno-wut!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:55 PM
The Darker the berry....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driver seat replacement - dealership full of u-kno-wut!!!

I've got a 06 NBP TL that was purchased in Nov 06. I noticed recently that the leather on the driver's seat was starting to crack pretty bad around the seams and stuff on the top half of the seat. I took it to my local dealership and they eventually agreed that something should be done. To my surprise, they replaced the leather seat cover on the seat as opposed to the seat itself - or at least the top half of the seat. And they did a pretty crappy job as well, the leather is kind of creased and crinkled, not smooth like new, and the seat has a few bulges in it, and there's stuff hanging from the bottom of the seat, not to mention that they left my headrest laying on the backseat so I had to install it myself. Whoever did it either didn't know what they were doing, or didn't give a damn. I spoke to the service manager to voice my displeasure and request that the seat itself be replaced. He tells me that the seat doesn't come in 1 piece - it comes in pieces - the leather cover, the foam, and the frame rails. That sounds like BS to me - I could swear I've heard other members state that they had their seats replaced in their entirety. He's also telling me that the next warm day we get - which for me in NYC is 6 months from now - the leather should shrink and tighten up and be smooth. I think they are trying to con me.

Please advise.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Aside from the uninstalled headrest and other "issues" that came about due to bad workmanship, the dealer did what they had to do. The rest of the seat was not the problem, just the upper areas as stated in your post. Why should the dealer replace an entire seat if it's fine? If you have a problem with the new leather, bitch about that, but the rest of the seat is fine. Everybody wants to get all these freebies from Acura (or audi or......), in the end we all pay for these warranty claims in the end when we buy a new car (or used for that matter). I'm not saying you did anything wrong, but it seems to be a trend lately, people want there cars rebuilt by the dealer before it runs out of warranty. I would definately have bitched about the headrest not being installed.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
They are right you know. Seats come in pieces. If the only thing that was wrong, was the upper leather, they replace the upper leather. Now shoddy work you can complain about.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:26 PM
REDBULL///AMG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
curry replaced my leather only
Old 11-05-2007, 05:29 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jetblakTL
And they did a pretty crappy job as well, the leather is kind of creased and crinkled, not smooth like new, and the seat has a few bulges in it, and there's stuff hanging from the bottom of the seat, not to mention that they left my headrest laying on the backseat so I had to install it myself. Whoever did it either didn't know what they were doing, or didn't give a damn. He's also telling me that the next warm day we get - which for me in NYC is 6 months from now - the leather should shrink and tighten up and be smooth. I think they are trying to con me.

Please advise.
JetblakTL,
I had the same process done to my 04 TL. The new seat "leather" cover definitely does not fit as tight as the original. Yours sounds a bit worse than mine turned out (mine looks fine with exception to a few wrinkles etc..).

DO NOT let them tell you that heat will shrink it to a smooth look etc.. Mine is 18 months post replacement and has been through two TX summers in excess of 100 degrees etc. for numerous days. It still looks like the day I drove it home after the replacement. Bottom line, if it looks that bad, definitely go back in and tell them its unacceptable. I would also request that the replacement be accomplished by an upholstery shop vs the oil change technician.....

I too doubt an entire seat is available other than via individual parts. It however is not required as long as the replacement cover is installed by a professional etc..

Good luck
Old 11-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you need to take a picture. i myself install seatcover to ppl. and yes , they are new and wrinkle but if it is so bad because they didn't stretch it out enough. other than that, dealership won't replace the whole seat for you. it makes no sense to do that. good luck with your complain w/ the dealer.