Driver seat discomfort - any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005 | 12:30 PM
Cruisin'

Driver seat discomfort - any thoughts?

Has anyone experienced butt/leg-numbing pain and discomfort from the seat base in the 04 TL, independent of the way the seat is positioned? My impression is that the center cushion in the seat base is pretty soft and maybe has lost some of its support while the side-bolstering has remained relatively hard. The end result is that I often feel like much of my weight is resting ON the side-bolstering rather than being distributed IN the seat, which creates an uncomfortable seating position and that squeeezing effect.

I'm a big (not fat dammit!!) 6ft/250lb guy but my car has only 12k miles so I don't know how I could have worn out that center cushion already. I had a Toyota Tercel for 12 years and actually felt that it had a pretty comfortable seat. I read in this forum that one guy believed that the single seam in the TL driver seat base was cutting into his legs. I'm wondering if maybe that could be part of my problem.

If anyone has any suggestions, including some kind of seat covering or some fix from the dealer, I'd love to hear it. I really like this car, but the seat comfort problem is a significant one.
Old 08-18-2005 | 01:15 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

It took me a few weeks to settle on the perfect setting for my seat. I, too, had problems getting it right and almost began regretting my purchase. It was comfortable enough during the test drives, but after two hours a day in the car, my back and legs were getting sore.

The seat has so many adjustments and the motors move almost too quickly to get it "just right" so it took me some time. Thank God for seat memories!

I hope you can continue making little adjustments here and there until you find your comfortable setting.
Old 08-18-2005 | 01:24 PM
AVB for President!

I have had my car for 5 months and I finally got it the way I want it. Sometimes something will feel right for a bit, but then feel off just the next day.

What I did (kinda dangerous) is to adjust the seats while I'm driving, but in the most relaxed position (relaxed as in not torq-ing or extending my body in anyway, except for holding onto the steering wheel. This worked great for me.
Old 08-18-2005 | 01:30 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TLTrance
I have had my car for 5 months and I finally got it the way I want it. Sometimes something will feel right for a bit, but then feel off just the next day.

What I did (kinda dangerous) is to adjust the seats while I'm driving, but in the most relaxed position (relaxed as in not torq-ing or extending my body in anyway, except for holding onto the steering wheel. This worked great for me.
This sounds interesting - "relaxed" sounds like you are less "bucketed" or cradled by the seat. What kind of seat positioning (lower/higher, forward/backward, tilted back/not tilted back) leads you to this relaxed position?
Old 08-18-2005 | 01:33 PM
AVB for President!

What I meant as in I'm sitting in the seat as comfortably as possible, but still holding onto the steering wheel. This is as opposed to car standing still, me looking at mirrors (or anything else) while adjusting, which I think can lead to unnatural body positions.
Old 08-18-2005 | 02:07 PM
Instructor

Smile

6FT.and 250LBS?You might have some problems with the cushions.
I am also 6FT.180LBS.which is normal for a 6Footer.
Also have 12K miles on a 04.No problems with the seats.I find them very supportive and comfy on long trips.

Maybe you need to replace the bottom cushion.
Good luck.
Old 08-18-2005 | 02:14 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Boartman
6FT.and 250LBS?You might have some problems with the cushions.
I am also 6FT.180LBS.which is normal for a 6Footer.
Also have 12K miles on a 04.No problems with the seats.I find them very supportive and comfy on long trips.

Maybe you need to replace the bottom cushion.
Good luck.
Yeah dude - you'd never guess by looking at me that I weigh so much. The dealership service guy that I've worked with previously has said that it is possible that the seat cushion has slipped. I may take it in to have it looked at. It'll be a real problem if I have to replace seat cushions every 12k miles!
Old 08-18-2005 | 04:05 PM
ABP Auditor

I think the seats are really comfy! Part of the reason I did NOT get a G35 is the 100+ message long thread on the G35Driver sedan forum. Now THOSE guys (and gals) have problems!!! The seat controls on the G35 create issues. It didn't bother me during my several test drives but I wasn't willing to risk it since I was so close to getting either car. I've had my 04 for over 15 months now and no complaints.

I hope you find a comfortable resolution.
Old 08-18-2005 | 04:07 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I'm 6' 3" and 195 pounds. I prefer the seat almost all the way back (not reclined, but back on the rails). I hold the wheel at about 9:30 and 2:30 (just above the horizontal spokes). I have the seat all the way down to maximize headroom in case I crash. I don't want to jam my neck on the ceiling in a bad crash.

After I found my first good setting and enjoying it for several months, I've recently tweaked it a bit to tip the seat bottom more level. It used to be more bucket-like, but I had trouble getting out when I couldn't open the driver's door enough (tight space in the garage).
Old 08-18-2005 | 04:14 PM
Drifting

The seat cushion isn't that expensive....approx. $90/each. It's the labor to replace it that's gonna kill you if it's really a bad cushion. I've seen those cushions and they look pretty sturdy to me so mabe it's something else causing your comfort problem.
Old 08-18-2005 | 04:51 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JetJock
The seat cushion isn't that expensive....approx. $90/each. It's the labor to replace it that's gonna kill you if it's really a bad cushion. I've seen those cushions and they look pretty sturdy to me so mabe it's something else causing your comfort problem.
The dealership guy would agree with you that the cushion is less likely than the springs and stuff underneath it to be the problem. Hopefully they will figure this thing out. He said the warranty should cover any labor.

Thanks to you and everyone who has written so far for your thoughts!
Old 08-19-2005 | 09:29 PM
Not a Blowhole

I have found that most people have the front of the seat tilted up too far - this feels good at first, but to me it causes a drop in blood flow to my legs, and after a while I feel uncomfortable. After I started adjusting closer to seats that have no tilt feature, and felt the lower pressure on my thighs, I got the TL adjusted right (yes, electrics can be much more of a pain than manual adjusters), I have found the seats exemplary for drives up to 10 hours or more.

Thank goodness for Memory though - I am 6', 210 pounds. My wife is 5'5", 108. And she likes the laid back, Brittanty Spears driving position that looks like the Invisible Man is driving.
Old 08-19-2005 | 09:59 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by Road Rage
I have found that most people have the front of the seat tilted up too far - this feels good at first, but to me it causes a drop in blood flow to my legs, and after a while I feel uncomfortable. After I started adjusting closer to seats that have no tilt feature, and felt the lower pressure on my thighs, I got the TL adjusted right (yes, electrics can be much more of a pain than manual adjusters), I have found the seats exemplary for drives up to 10 hours or more.

Thank goodness for Memory though - I am 6', 210 pounds. My wife is 5'5", 108. And she likes the laid back, Brittanty Spears driving position that looks like the Invisible Man is driving.
LOL! Yeah, my wife is a full foot shorter than me, so thank goodness for the memory seats. If only it would adjust the rearview mirror and seatbelt anchor, too...

One feature I thought would be a nice addition to the TL's seats would be two-speed adjustments. As it is, I appreciate the fast motors for quickly recalling the seat settings, but I wish they were slower when I'm trying to adjust them. It would be nice if they operated at a slower speed when adjusted via the controls. Even a quick tap moves the seat back angle a bit too far for me to really dial in the perfect setting easily.
Old 08-20-2005 | 08:31 AM
Instructor

i am a big guy too...i think the TL seats suck...great car...bad seat...
Old 08-20-2005 | 11:22 AM
Registered Member

I found a comfortable seating position within the first day or two after purchasing my '04, and like Road Rage, I like the front of the seat more level for the reasons he stated. I found that fact out some years ago on long trips.

Strangely, my wife's '05 seats are not quite as comfortable to me as my '04. Even though I selected a seating position (#2) in her car, perhaps it's due to the fact that I just didn't spend as much time and thought adjusting her's to my likes as I did with mine. One thing.. the '05 seats don't get butt prints. But my '04 butt prints don't bother me in the slightest. I figure, since the seat is so comfortable to me for any type of driving or trip, I could care less about the butt prints.

Oh, I'm 5'10" and 190 pounds.. no big butt and no misshapen body.
Old 08-20-2005 | 02:28 PM
Instructor

I'm 6'3" 190 and I've experienced the same problem. On my 1 hour commute to work, I get butt and leg pain shooting down my leg. I'll try to recline the seat more. I already have it positioned all the way back and the seat is already positioned low so my head doesn't hit the ceiling.
Old 08-20-2005 | 03:08 PM
AZ Community Team

6'4" 210lb, long legs. No problems, very comfortable except would like more side support bolsters on the seatback for lateral support while fast cornering.
Old 08-20-2005 | 09:53 PM
Not a Blowhole

Off topic kinda:

The best seats I ever exsperienced were in the NSX - they had limited electrical capability, but were so damn comformtable, that I do not know how I resisted just getting int he car to get a quart of milk, and ending up in St Louis XX hours later. It fit every shaped/sized person as well. Of course, the quality of the materials and leather were as good as it gets, but I think Honda does a fine job across the line.

I do commend Subaru though, for producing leather that best simulates bad vinyl.
Old 08-22-2005 | 01:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by luniz97
i am a big guy too...i think the TL seats suck...great car...bad seat...
I'm really noticing that the biggest problem with seat comfort is the seam that runs across the center of the seat bottom. Does anyone have any opinions about this? I thought I'd read that the seams had been moved around in the 05 TL. From what I'm reading here though it sounds like the 05 seats might actually be more uncomfortable than the 04 seats.

Again - I love the fact that the seats are adjustable. My problem is with the seat bottom cushioning/seam.
Old 08-25-2005 | 12:53 PM
Cruisin'

Just wanted to let everyone know that there was, in fact, a problem with my TL driver seat. Two of the springs in the lower seat cushion were broken. Thus, if you are experiencing a sinking feeling in your car (other than dismay over rattles or other annoyances) it may actually be a broken seat.

How did it happen? I actually think the dealership accidentally broke the seat when they were replacing my sinking (it's a theme) '04 roof liner with the stiffer-designed '05 roof liner. A knee or a foot on the seat may have cracked those springs.

A replacement lower seat support is on order.

It's been 17 months and I'm ready to start enjoying this car.
Old 08-26-2005 | 12:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bomber44
I'm really noticing that the biggest problem with seat comfort is the seam that runs across the center of the seat bottom. Does anyone have any opinions about this? I thought I'd read that the seams had been moved around in the 05 TL. From what I'm reading here though it sounds like the 05 seats might actually be more uncomfortable than the 04 seats.

Again - I love the fact that the seats are adjustable. My problem is with the seat bottom cushioning/seam.
I reported many months ago that I found the seam on the seat bottom to be very uncomfortable. (I felt like the Princess and the Pea) I was sitting on a towel to make it more comfortable. After 14 months, it has gotten a little better. I'm thinking maybe it is because it is the summer, and I am at a new job where my car is out in the sun all day, rather than in a garage, and maybe it is getting softer. I have communicated my dissatisfaction to my dealer. If I'm not completely happy by the time my warrenty is up, I'll see if I can get a new seat.
Old 08-26-2005 | 01:48 PM
100k miles club

i'm a fat, sexy, b!tch - 5'6" 170lbs. my seat not only remembers how i like my settings but it also memorizes the contours of my butt

no biggie, only thing that bugs me during long drives is how the seat gets hot. this was my first leather interior and was worried why the seat got hot like that on long trips. turns out that leather acts like that when you sit on it for long period of time. we had ventilated seats to go with the heat option
Old 08-26-2005 | 10:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Dvus555
I reported many months ago that I found the seam on the seat bottom to be very uncomfortable. (I felt like the Princess and the Pea) I was sitting on a towel to make it more comfortable. After 14 months, it has gotten a little better. I'm thinking maybe it is because it is the summer, and I am at a new job where my car is out in the sun all day, rather than in a garage, and maybe it is getting softer. I have communicated my dissatisfaction to my dealer. If I'm not completely happy by the time my warrenty is up, I'll see if I can get a new seat.
The bad news for me is that even after the replacement of my seat bottom support (which was broken in two places) I still have the problem that the seat bottom pinches uncomfortably right where the bolsters meet the seam. I was really hoping that the broken seat support was the source of my seat bottom problem.

I guess that maybe this seat bottom problem is revealed if one is a heavier guy. Dvus555 - how big are you? Are you still using a towel? It looks like I may have to go that route as well.
Old 08-27-2005 | 02:15 PM
Instructor

Maybe you guys are on to something. I have been having trouble with a herniated disc in my lower back, and this pain has been bothering me since I bought the Acura TL. For the past two months, I have not driven much because I have a job in the city now. So what I do is take the train there and the TL hasnt been touched much. My backpain lessened significantly during that time. School just started, which means I use the car to drive to school. My back pain has increased significantly within the first day of driving the TL. I am 6'0" and weigh about 130lb. Any advice on how I can lessen the pressure on my back would be greatly appreciated. I have decided to buy a car cover for the car and leave it sitting there until my back is better, or until I find a solution that helps my back when I drive. I've owned it for a year and have driven it less than 5000 miles...

Regards,
Moosh
Old 08-27-2005 | 04:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Moosh
Maybe you guys are on to something. I have been having trouble with a herniated disc in my lower back, and this pain has been bothering me since I bought the Acura TL. For the past two months, I have not driven much because I have a job in the city now. So what I do is take the train there and the TL hasnt been touched much. My backpain lessened significantly during that time. School just started, which means I use the car to drive to school. My back pain has increased significantly within the first day of driving the TL. I am 6'0" and weigh about 130lb. Any advice on how I can lessen the pressure on my back would be greatly appreciated. I have decided to buy a car cover for the car and leave it sitting there until my back is better, or until I find a solution that helps my back when I drive. I've owned it for a year and have driven it less than 5000 miles...

Regards,
Moosh
Sorry to hear about your back. I had that problem a couple of years ago and it healed on its own. For that, I'm thankful every day.

I'm not surprised that the TL seat would aggravate a herniated disc. My experience with the seat is that the side bolsters in the seat bottom are very hard but that the center area - especially the cushion toward the seat back - is surprisingly soft. This results in the side bolsters squeezing into my butt, particularly at the seam in the seat bottom. A soft seat bottom - especially an uneven soft seat bottom (uneven because the sides are hard and slanted relative to the center area) is really bad for a person with a herniated disc. Hard seats - or not sitting at all! - are better for a herniated disc.

Nothing wrong with public transportation - it's less frustrating than driving in traffic.
Old 08-28-2005 | 12:07 AM
Instructor

Sorry to hear about your back. I had that problem a couple of years ago and it healed on its own. For that, I'm thankful every day.

I'm not surprised that the TL seat would aggravate a herniated disc. My experience with the seat is that the side bolsters in the seat bottom are very hard but that the center area - especially the cushion toward the seat back - is surprisingly soft. This results in the side bolsters squeezing into my butt, particularly at the seam in the seat bottom. A soft seat bottom - especially an uneven soft seat bottom (uneven because the sides are hard and slanted relative to the center area) is really bad for a person with a herniated disc. Hard seats - or not sitting at all! - are better for a herniated disc.

Nothing wrong with public transportation - it's less frustrating than driving in traffic.
Thank you. I will try to see if I can get a hard seat cover so I can drive the TL atleast to stores... I use public transportation 90% of the time.
Old 08-28-2005 | 12:14 AM
Instructor

Do any of you guys use the heated seats? I've been using it lately and it feels good on my back. The leg pain isn't as bad when I have it on. I've also done some seat adjusting. I have the seat all the back and reclined with the level of the seat leaned forward as possible. That seemed to help a little bit as well.
Old 08-28-2005 | 10:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Juronimo
Do any of you guys use the heated seats? I've been using it lately and it feels good on my back. The leg pain isn't as bad when I have it on. I've also done some seat adjusting. I have the seat all the back and reclined with the level of the seat leaned forward as possible. That seemed to help a little bit as well.
I used to use the heated seats but it didn't really help me too much.
Old 08-28-2005 | 10:52 AM
Instructor

What do you guys think about using something like this?

Seat/Back support
Old 08-28-2005 | 11:22 AM
Advanced

Dude, at 6' you should be between 140 and 184 pounds. Time to face reality. Your fat. Sorry.

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm
Old 08-28-2005 | 12:49 PM
Instructor

I'm skinny
Old 08-28-2005 | 12:52 PM
mio
Police

Originally Posted by bluenoise
It took me a few weeks to settle on the perfect setting for my seat. I, too, had problems getting it right and almost began regretting my purchase. It was comfortable enough during the test drives, but after two hours a day in the car, my back and legs were getting sore.

The seat has so many adjustments and the motors move almost too quickly to get it "just right" so it took me some time. Thank God for seat memories!

I hope you can continue making little adjustments here and there until you find your comfortable setting.
I cannot image...if u get into my 350z, your back will be broke or wut...
Old 08-28-2005 | 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

You guys should do what I did to the seat in my TSX. I took the leather off and added memory foam to certain areas. I had to repeat this process several times until I got it just right. The memory foam is pretty cool b/c of how it conforms to your body. It's a big PITA to remove the seat and leather cover though. You have to cut the many upholstery hooks and make sure you don't set off the side airbags, etc.

Someone posted earlier about springs in the seats. There are no coil springs in the seats. They're just S springs running along the bottom and back. The shape of the seats is determined by the stock foam rather than the S springs.
Old 08-28-2005 | 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Six feet and 140 pounds would be a bean pole.. anorexic for a male.. a charter member of the 40 pound bench press club. Would make Mick Jagger look muscular.
Old 08-28-2005 | 01:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Someone posted earlier about springs in the seats. There are no coil springs in the seats. They're just S springs running along the bottom and back. The shape of the seats is determined by the stock foam rather than the S springs.

I actually think this is why the replacing of the broken S springs in my seat had no effect on the sinking. I think the foam is misshapen and sinking and the S springs are not the whole problem. What I need is a new seat!
Old 08-28-2005 | 01:59 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Moosh
What do you guys think about using something like this?

Seat/Back support
dude - I was just looking at this thing yesterday. i'm not so hot for the seat back but the seat bottom cushion might be alright.
Old 08-28-2005 | 06:06 PM
Instructor

I just ordered both. I think the seatback will help keep your spine in a neutral position, significantly better than the TL seat does.

I'll let you guys know how it is when I get it.
Old 08-28-2005 | 08:39 PM
Instructor

I guess that maybe this seat bottom problem is revealed if one is a heavier guy. Dvus555 - how big are you? Are you still using a towel? It looks like I may have to go that route as well.
I'm not big. 5'8" 160 lbs. I always wondered if the seat would be more comfortable if I had a bigger ass. I'm trying not to use the towel as much. I'm hoping if I break in the seat, it might become softer and more comfortable.
Old 08-28-2005 | 08:54 PM
Instructor

I'm 6'0 weight about 180 and I hate my seats, the drive is good but the seat is too hard, this week I will go buy something to support my back. Does anybody notice that the back seats seem better then the front?
Old 08-29-2005 | 12:05 AM
Burning Brakes

OK. I'm a shorty. I'm 5'7" and weight 145. I fit perfectly into the seat. In fact, I tend to slide a little bit in it. I actually prefer the passager side seat as it is lacking the lumbar support and low back heating element allowing me to sit "deeper" into the seat. That allows the side bolsters to hold me in better. I thought I was imagining this until I tried this on another TL at the dealership.

dsc888

Quick Reply: Driver seat discomfort - any thoughts?