Sponsored by:

Drain Plug/ Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:53 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drain Plug/ Leaking

Hey All,
I have a 04 TL with 59k/ This morning as i walk to my car i see a run of oil from under my car. I check the oil level and notice that is low. I take it to this place where i just recently got my oil changed. They check the drain plug and advised me that i will need to replace it as the car will continue to leak because the screw is now tight enought.
Now should I have this job done at the stearlership or a Local Mechanic?

How Complex is this job?

How Much more or less should i expect to spend?

Hope someone has information for me...Plx Help!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
Replace what, the drain plug? Oil pan? Either (a) they didn't replace the crush washer as they should have or they over tightened the plug and stripped the threads. In either case, it's the shop's problem to fix -- they screwed up. BTW, there are a number of solutions to fixing stripped pan threads short of replacing the pan including retapping and replacing with a larger plug made for just that purpose.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
this place that you recently take your car for oil changes... is it one of those quick 10 min lube joints??? nonetheless, it may be a simply be a <$1 fix... if they change the oil without changing the crush washer on the drain plug, when they tighten the drain plug back on, if the crush washer is reused many times, it will cause different lines in the washer where the oil can run into and leak out of... i would check that first before thinking about having to change the bolt itself...
Old 12-26-2007, 08:36 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

Originally Posted by DanL
Replace what, the drain plug? Oil pan? Either (a) they didn't replace the crush washer as they should have or they over tightened the plug and stripped the threads. In either case, it's the shop's problem to fix -- they screwed up. BTW, there are a number of solutions to fixing stripped pan threads short of replacing the pan including retapping and replacing with a larger plug made for just that purpose.

The dude was talking about the screw not going in right/ I couldnt understand his english very well. But i def know he was talking about the screw not going in right.
For the other guy above it's one of the quick lube joints. aaahhh HELP!!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Again we see another reason for changing your own oil. As has been mentioned, it could be as simple as the shop not using, or constantly reusing, the aluminum washer, or a more serious affair, such as stripped threads in the pan caused by not using a torque wrench when reinstalling the drain plug.

If it is stripped threads, the proper fix is to remove the oil pan and rethread the drain opening. The reason for removing the pan is to clean around the opening after threading to make sure there are no metal filings left around the opening.

Do yourself a favor if it is at all possible and change your own oil. That way you'll know what was done and if you do it correctly, you'll have the peace of mind knowing it was done right.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:43 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
the shop that u took it to stripped it. they should of told u about the problem when they took out the drain plug. since they didnt say anything it was all good till HE put it in crooked and hoped that nothing would happen. one quick fix is to put an over sized drain plug for temporary use only. talk to the shop manager.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:51 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Again we see another reason for changing your own oil. As has been mentioned, it could be as simple as the shop not using, or constantly reusing, the aluminum washer, or a more serious affair, such as stripped threads in the pan caused by not using a torque wrench when reinstalling the drain plug.

If it is stripped threads, the proper fix is to remove the oil pan and rethread the drain opening. The reason for removing the pan is to clean around the opening after threading to make sure there are no metal filings left around the opening.

Do yourself a favor if it is at all possible and change your own oil. That way you'll know what was done and if you do it correctly, you'll have the peace of mind knowing it was done right.

So doing the re-thread....should i take it to the Acura Dealership Service to have this job done?? how complex is this job? Or can it be taken to a friendshop?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by clavodulce16
The dude was talking about the screw not going in right/ I couldnt understand his english very well. But i def know he was talking about the screw not going in right.
For the other guy above it's one of the quick lube joints. aaahhh HELP!!!!
lol @ the other guy...

but as SB has said, yes please try to change your own oil when u can... it is so easy and will only take you 20 mins tops... you know it will be done right but if you live in an apt complex like i used to or if you live in an area where it is too cold to do yourself during the winter, please just take it to a dealer... for an oil change, it will run you $30 max... less if they have promotional coupons for you... how much more are you paying compared to that quick lube joint??? but think about it, u may have been saving a bit of $ every every oil change but now you may have to shell out a few hundred if your oil pan is stripped...

i already had my scare from these quick lube places 2 times... first time was the exact same situation as urs... i came home after an oil change and the next morning there was a pool of oil on the ground... took it back to them and their solution was to put a bunch of silicone around the bolt before tightening it back on... i went to the dealership and picked up some washer and changed it out myself... fixed...

second time was on my 1st gen TL, the drain bolt is recessed into the pan... which means that you should be using a socket and not a wrench to take off and tighten the bolt... one winter it was too cold for me to do the oil change so i brought it to them, in the spring when i got under my car to change the oil, the damn bolt was rounded off... i brought it back to them... they said it was seized on... they took a blow torch to it and had to drill into the old bolt to get it to turn out... never went their again...
Old 12-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

So doing the re-thread....should i take it to the Acura Dealership Service to have this job done?? how complex is this job? Or can it be taken to a friendshop?
it isn't necessary to take it to Acura if you have a good personal mechanic... the proper way to do it would be to drop the oil pan, retap and clean off any metal shavings before putting it back in... but that may get a little costly...

you could get away with just tapping the pan without taking it off the car and flushing oil down to try and get any metal shavings out... but i would try to make absolutely sure that it is clean before filling the engine with oil and firing her back up... (use a magnetic plug or even run the car for a few seconds and do another oil change or BOTH) but u don't want to risk having those metal shavings from your tap making love to the internals of your engine... good luck
Old 12-26-2007, 09:03 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

Originally Posted by Rajca
the shop that u took it to stripped it. they should of told u about the problem when they took out the drain plug. since they didnt say anything it was all good till HE put it in crooked and hoped that nothing would happen. one quick fix is to put an over sized drain plug for temporary use only. talk to the shop manager.

I guess i will have to learn how to do this job myself. Never done it before. I guess the best is to take the car to ACURA for them to fix this for me. I will contact the manager to see if they pay for this job. Or atleast half of it. Any idea how much this will cost me??
Old 12-26-2007, 09:06 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
it isn't necessary to take it to Acura if you have a good personal mechanic... the proper way to do it would be to drop the oil pan, retap and clean off any metal shavings before putting it back in... but that may get a little costly...

you could get away with just tapping the pan without taking it off the car and flushing oil down to try and get any metal shavings out... but i would try to make absolutely sure that it is clean before filling the engine with oil and firing her back up... (use a magnetic plug or even run the car for a few seconds and do another oil change or BOTH) but u don't want to risk having those metal shavings from your tap making love to the internals of your engine... good luck

Just called acura and they told me that they don't rethread oil pan. They will replace it witha new one./ guy will call me back with pricing.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:10 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

Just called acura and they told me that they don't rethread oil pan. They will replace it witha new one./ guy will call me back with pricing.

OKay just got the call back/ JOhny from Acura of Westchester told me it will cost me $350 dollars to replace the oil pan. would it better to replace then rethreading?
Old 12-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Senior Moderator

the pan itself isn't expensive...

#2 is $79.33.... the labor is what gets you...

looks like you don't have a choice if they aren't willing to just rethread it for you...
Old 12-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator

OKay just got the call back/ JOhny from Acura of Westchester told me it will cost me $350 dollars to replace the oil pan. would it better to replace then rethreading?
is that the only dealer around you??? i would call around...
Old 12-26-2007, 09:24 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

[QUOTE=KaMLuNg]the pan itself isn't expensive...

#2 is $79.33.... the labor is what gets you...

Now the question is. If i purchase the oil pan. Is it real simple to replace the old one?
it's a matter of taking one out and installing the new one?
Where can i order the pan from?
Old 12-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

if you need to order any OEM parts... hit up Hondacura world... 1-888-729-5257... ask for Tim...

logically yes, it is just taking off the old one and putting on the new one... but no offense, if you said that you don't even know how to change your own oil, i would not suggest you tackle this yourself... i don't remember what the underside of the 3rd gen looks like but some oil pans are a b!tch... you may have axles in the way that need to be removed first... and if you don't torque the pan on properly then you will create a different leak... if i was in your situation i would just take it somewhere...

if you order the pan, don't forget the gasket...
Old 12-26-2007, 09:40 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

if you need to order any OEM parts... hit up Hondacura world... 1-888-729-5257... ask for Tim...

logically yes, it is just taking off the old one and putting on the new one... but no offense, if you said that you don't even know how to change your own oil, i would not suggest you tackle this yourself... i don't remember what the underside of the 3rd gen looks like but some oil pans are a b!tch... you may have axles in the way that need to be removed first... and if you don't torque the pan on properly then you will create a different leak... if i was in your situation i would just take it somewhere...

if you order the pan, don't forget the gasket...

no offense taken, trust me i wasnt planning on doing this myself lol. I was going to take it to a shop to get it replaced. Is there a website i can look at?
Old 12-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

are u around westchester NY, IL or CA???

if you are around the NYC, North NJ area, i have a personal mechanic that does all the work on my cars... he is in Elizabeth, NJ next to the Newark Airport... he can replace and/or retap your old oil pan if you want... he only charges $65/hour for labor so you would prob be saving alot more than the dealership... PM me and i can give u the details...
Old 12-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

no offense taken, trust me i wasnt planning on doing this myself lol. I was going to take it to a shop to get it replaced. Is there a website i can look at?
the website i was able to pull that diagram off of was

http://acuraautomotiveparts.org
Old 12-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
you may have axles in the way that need to be removed first....
Why would you have an axle under the oil pan? But yeah, I know what you mean. I vaguely remember the TL's oil pan being clear of obstructions... I have a car that has an engine mount in the way of the oil-pan... THAT is a biotch to deal with, becuase I think the service manual on that car says you need to put the engine on a hoist/cradle, to remove the engine mount, so you can drop the pan.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:21 PM
[PA] NBP-TL

the website i was able to pull that diagram off of was

http://acuraautomotiveparts.org

UPDATE'''''''
i go to the quick lube place and i tell this dude that it needs to be fixed ASAP. it just happened he was covering for another manager which was in vacation. the guy did something to the drain and put ina nother plug, he said it should be fine now. i will let me car sit over night and see what happens. they have replaced my oil 3 times already( mobil 1) wish me luckk
Old 12-26-2007, 02:59 PM
4th Gear

Good luck.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by avs007
Why would you have an axle under the oil pan? But yeah, I know what you mean. I vaguely remember the TL's oil pan being clear of obstructions... I have a car that has an engine mount in the way of the oil-pan... THAT is a biotch to deal with, becuase I think the service manual on that car says you need to put the engine on a hoist/cradle, to remove the engine mount, so you can drop the pan.
i forgot which car it was but i was doing an oil change and there was one side of the oil pan obstructed by the axle (not the main part but one of the extension sides... i saw that and thought to myself that if he had to change the oil pan, that axle would have to come out... i didn't mean that the axle was right underneath the oil pan... sorry for the confusion...
Old 12-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

UPDATE'''''''
i go to the quick lube place and i tell this dude that it needs to be fixed ASAP. it just happened he was covering for another manager which was in vacation. the guy did something to the drain and put ina nother plug, he said it should be fine now. i will let me car sit over night and see what happens. they have replaced my oil 3 times already( mobil 1) wish me luckk
good luck... and don't take it there again...