Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:35 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Door Locks

This is a bit random, but I bet it has been discussed or at least thought about before. When I was at AutoZone recently I noticed they have some aftermarket metal door locks (bar shaped) for sale. Has anyone replaced the OEM door locks that move up and down on top of our doors? Do they simply unscrew and pull off?

I like to rest my arm on the window seal when the windows are open and I'm cruising, however even in the locked position that knob digs into my arm. I was wondering if there is an aftermarket fit that might be shorter and flush with the door when in the locked position.

Yes, this is a minor complaint, but its annoying...any experience out there? By the way, I have a 2006 RBP TL.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:00 AM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Actually yes they do. They just screw off etc. You can take the stock ones off, cut about 3/4" off of them and then rescrew them. It is perfect when they are in the locked position for you to rest your arm on the window sill.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Sounds interesting, but I'll just stick with my stock locks
Old 05-13-2010, 10:36 AM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokd05
Actually yes they do. They just screw off etc. You can take the stock ones off, cut about 3/4" off of them and then rescrew them. It is perfect when they are in the locked position for you to rest your arm on the window sill.
That looks nice, but I'm a FF here in NY and we had a call sometime ago where someone who took them off completely (same effect as when they're cut short and down, essentially you can't grab them with your fingers) and we had a car accident where there was frontal damage, but the rest of the car was fine, however at some point in the accident, the negative battery cable came off.

The aided inside the car had a seizure (which was the cause of the accident) and we needed to get them out for EMS to treat and transport. We tried the door handle, but the doors were locked. We then broke the window and went to manually cycle the lock, no luck, the person had taken off their lock stems as I mentioned above. We tried the power lock button, no juice.

So now, we had to take the Hurst tool (Jaws of Life) and do a door pop, completely wrecking this person's drive side door, part of the passenger door, etc.

The frontal damage was repairable, the car wans't a totoal loss, and now there was a ton of side damage from us. All could have been averted by just leaving the damn things alone!

Also think about a self rescue situation where you lose power but need to get out of the car and it's locked. Do you carry a window punch or a rescue hammer? Doubt it.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mglax13
That looks nice, but I'm a FF here in NY and we had a call sometime ago where someone who took them off completely (same effect as when they're cut short and down, essentially you can't grab them with your fingers) and we had a car accident where there was frontal damage, but the rest of the car was fine, however at some point in the accident, the negative battery cable came off.

The aided inside the car had a seizure (which was the cause of the accident) and we needed to get them out for EMS to treat and transport. We tried the door handle, but the doors were locked. We then broke the window and went to manually cycle the lock, no luck, the person had taken off their lock stems as I mentioned above. We tried the power lock button, no juice.

So now, we had to take the Hurst tool (Jaws of Life) and do a door pop, completely wrecking this person's drive side door, part of the passenger door, etc.

The frontal damage was repairable, the car wans't a totoal loss, and now there was a ton of side damage from us. All could have been averted by just leaving the damn things alone!

Also think about a self rescue situation where you lose power but need to get out of the car and it's locked. Do you carry a window punch or a rescue hammer? Doubt it.

way to ruin my morning...downer!!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 AM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Haha, sorry man! I'm just looking out for the well being of my Acura brothers!

I know some of us would feel worse after seeing the extra damage to our babies than as a result of the damage our bodies took! HAHA
Old 05-13-2010, 04:33 PM
9th Gear

Really?

Originally Posted by Smokd05

Smoke, have you done this? What did you use to cut them down?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by NPO1026
Smoke, have you done this? What did you use to cut them down?
You can use anything sharp, it's just plastic. There's a DIY for it in the 3G garage.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Dont carry a rescue hammer, but I do carry my elbow and a shirt haha
Old 05-13-2010, 11:16 PM
9th Gear

3G Garage

Originally Posted by csmeance
You can use anything sharp, it's just plastic. There's a DIY for it in the 3G garage.
I had no idea....fairly new to this site. Can someone link this for me? Not sure how to search the garage for this DIY.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to Azine NPO1026..."Search" + patience is the key (i understand there are many info in the garage, but you just have to be patient and look around case it's very helpful)

Anyways, here is the link to help a noob out:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/f-176-new-mod-door-lock-button-586146/

You could adjust the height of the knob anyways so it doesn't go all the way down...just make sure you adjust it so you could get a hold of the knob somehow (just incase something freakish happens).

Compared to the picture in the link, i did my knob a little higher...but enough not to bother my elbow while driving. Another thing i did is the rear lock are a tad bit higher than what i have in the fronts, because no one hardly rides in the back.

Good luck with the mod...it's super easy!
Old 05-14-2010, 01:45 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought about removing my locks. but not having my arm on the sill is forcing me to drive with two hands. Perhaps the designers (lawyers) is on to something.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by NPO1026
I had no idea....fairly new to this site. Can someone link this for me? Not sure how to search the garage for this DIY.
Just an FYI, once your in the 3G garage, do a Control "F" (find), then type in the word your searching for.