Sponsored by:

Door closing sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Door closing sound

Try this:

Close the door with typical force with the windows up. Sounds good but just isn't as "plush" as say on a lexus?

Then try closing the door again with the window rolled all the way down, does it sound like something is going to break when you close the door?

So does your TL sound cheap when you close the door with the window rolled down?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Yes thats why I make an effort each time to roll up my windows before closing or gently close the doors since I cringe everytime it happens. The way passengers already close the doors with so much force I'm always afraid they'll shatter the glass lol.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I've noticed the same thing-especially when the window is half way down. I meant to ask about that yesterday, when I was in for an oil change.....I forgot to.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:59 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Same thing with mine.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Mine has done it since brand new. It's a little better with all the dynamat and foam but it's still there. However, with all the deadening products and weight in there, it sounds like a Mercedes when closing the door with the windows up. A solid thunk.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Full A-Spec 08 CBP TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got mine brand new last year and its been doing that since i got it, i always roll the windows up
Old 10-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Yea, Honda's are notorious for that. Every Honda i've ever owned had this problem.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Pz_
Instructor

I don't really pull on my doors much. Seems like they are weighted in a way if I open them and get out of the way fast enough, they will just close themselves back. Maybe something is wrong with mine? I dunno, but I've gotten quite used to it. The other day I drove my wife's car and just started to walk up to the house and left the door open. "oh yeah" I thought to myself....duh.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pz_
I don't really pull on my doors much. Seems like they are weighted in a way if I open them and get out of the way fast enough, they will just close themselves back. Maybe something is wrong with mine? I dunno, but I've gotten quite used to it. The other day I drove my wife's car and just started to walk up to the house and left the door open. "oh yeah" I thought to myself....duh.
nope, Happends to me too, thats because we're both skinny people
Old 10-14-2009, 11:18 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Yep we've talked about this before and all our TLs do it. Funny thing is they made a big deal in marketing the door close thunk back when they were selling the 3G. Ads would say how TLs could compare to German quality because they thought of these details. This goes to show they purposely designed the doors to do that, not really that it is by virtue of some thick gauge heavy duty construction. Roll the windows down and the charm is gone.

Well they missed the mark because I have owned a few MB/BMWs and the doors still thunk with the windows down. The doors themselves really are heavier. There are a lot more seals around that glass too, the reason why the window doesn't clatter like that. Yep even those pillar-less coupes MB makes; sexy! That's the real deal!

Last edited by rockyfeller; 10-14-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Pz_
works great for me too, but anytime i have a passenger, they slam the door shut like there is no tomorrow....
Old 10-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vinnier6
works great for me too, but anytime i have a passenger, they slam the door shut like there is no tomorrow....
Same here. I have it down pretty well. Open the door, jump in and the door shuts behind me without having to pull on it. I got my leg caught one time when I wasn't quick enough. Luckily they're light doors. Passengers however slam the hell out of it. I have certain friends that I yell don't slam it every time they go to close it. Sometimes I'm surprised the glass doesn't shatter the way it gets slammed.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Pz_
Instructor

Holy crap, my passengers slam the door so hard, it pops the folding pouch thing out. I've noticed people slam my trunk too. What is it with people and slamming stuff? Soooo unnecessary!
Old 10-15-2009, 02:36 PM
.a BUM with SMG...

lol how can the glass be shattered if there are two big metal covering it( the door). And yeah some time ppl get out of the car and closing either door or trunk, a big "thump ", its easy to explain, because it just the way how the air vacuum. Just like u closing your house' door in a windy day. U get the idea
Old 10-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by azn_xxxd
lol how can the glass be shattered if there are two big metal covering it( the door). And yeah some time ppl get out of the car and closing either door or trunk, a big "thump ", its easy to explain, because it just the way how the air vacuum. Just like u closing your house' door in a windy day. U get the idea
The glass breaking was an expression though it is possible.

The thunk has more to do with the way the door is built rather than cabin pressure. The cabin is vented, it can't build any real pressure. The glass up helps strengthen the door.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just have to ask, why does every one that rides in the car, want to slam the doors??!! I have actually said something to several of my friends over time about it. You do NOT have to force it, just shut it, no extra force needed.

As for the noise while the windows are down, the top 2 edges are not making contact with any thing and there is play in the bottom half of the window track that allows the window to move ever so slightly. This produces the all to familiar sound that we hear. When the window is up, it has contact at all edges, and is secure. This also forms a seal when you shut the last door, so you have to add a little bit more to close it. The fun one is when you shut 2 doors at the same time, and one does not close because you did not put enough behind it.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
I just have to ask, why does every one that rides in the car, want to slam the doors??!! I have actually said something to several of my friends over time about it. You do NOT have to force it, just shut it, no extra force needed.

As for the noise while the windows are down, the top 2 edges are not making contact with any thing and there is play in the bottom half of the window track that allows the window to move ever so slightly. This produces the all to familiar sound that we hear. When the window is up, it has contact at all edges, and is secure. This also forms a seal when you shut the last door, so you have to add a little bit more to close it. The fun one is when you shut 2 doors at the same time, and one does not close because you did not put enough behind it.
That reminds me that I nearly fixed the sound at one time. There's a rubber strip that runs along the window guides. From the factory mine was mostly off so when the window was down it was glass to metal. I stuck it back on and the sound went mostly away for a day. The rubber must've come back off but I think a permanent fix might be to use some sort of adhesive between the rubber and metal track.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
So we've just got to live with this, huh? I like the way the doors sound when they close. I'll just remember to have them fully opened or closed, I guess.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man...i was just thinking about this today as well when i had people in my car. windows up or tell them to gently nudge it close haha.