does your TL coast down to zero rapidly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008 | 08:20 AM
Racer

does your TL coast down to zero rapidly?

Seems like recently my TL started to feel like I was pulling around some dead weight. If I'm driving say 30 MPH in 3rd gear (manually set to 3), and I take my foot off the gas, the car slows down to 10 MPH pretty rapidly. I can feel the vehicle decelerate and as well as watch the speedo drop from 30 to 10 at a pretty good rate - much faster than any of our other vehicles. Does your TL do and feel like this when you take your foot off the gas and coast or am I crazy?
Old 01-05-2008 | 08:27 AM
3.2 VTEC

it's cuz you're engine breaking it basically, when the engine is hooked up it's eather powering the wheels, or getting powered by the wheels...when you let go of the gas, the engine has to get turned, giving resistance and therefore killing the car's momentum.

try this, go 30mph, throw it in neutral....that's coasting.
Old 01-05-2008 | 08:32 AM
Racer

@vincethe1 - I agree with you and will try the neutral experiment later today. I will say that the TL does it to a greater degree than the wife's car or my other car. It seems like recently this behavior is more and more prevalent.

I dunno what could physically cause it (perhaps it needs an idle adjustment?) though and am reluctant to take it into the dealership until I can convince myself that there is something wrong.
Old 01-05-2008 | 09:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by darksky
Seems like recently my TL started to feel like I was pulling around some dead weight. If I'm driving say 30 MPH in 3rd gear (manually set to 3), and I take my foot off the gas, the car slows down to 10 MPH pretty rapidly. I can feel the vehicle decelerate and as well as watch the speedo drop from 30 to 10 at a pretty good rate - much faster than any of our other vehicles. Does your TL do and feel like this when you take your foot off the gas and coast or am I crazy?
This test needs to be done in neutral. If it slows down way faster than you feel it should you need to look for a non-engine related problem.
Old 01-05-2008 | 11:06 AM
Intermediate

My 08 AT does that and i have 230 miles on it so far. I think in that speed range engine stays in compression . No other car i owned were like this. I think thats how the engine is. I hope so.
Old 01-05-2008 | 11:08 AM
Banned

Mine feels fine, nothing special. It does the same for my STI, I occasionally get some lift-off oversteer in the STI.
Old 01-05-2008 | 11:42 AM
Registered but harmless

It's normal, especially at the slower speeds you describe.
1). The tranny is trying to avoid lugging in gear by moving to a more efficient gear.
2) The tranny/engine are also adaptive-- so the TL's ECU has adapted to your driving pattern, which is apparently more like grandma and not driving like you stole it.
Most cars' auto transmissions (that I've driven) aren't as good as the one in the TL, esp. with the Grade Shift Logic and for smooth cruising.
Old 01-05-2008 | 12:03 PM
Racer

@Will - I didn't realize the thing was adaptive. Any idea how much data it uses to base its shift points (i.e. the past 50 miles or...)? I put about 600 highway miles on it recently and also have been taking it easy to see what kind of mileage I can get.
Old 01-05-2008 | 01:20 PM
Registered but harmless

@Will - I didn't realize the thing was adaptive. Any idea how much data it uses to base its shift points (i.e. the past 50 miles or...)? I put about 600 highway miles on it recently and also have been taking it easy to see what kind of mileage I can get.
I don't know how much data the tranny needs.
There are threads here regarding how long it takes to change the profile (i.e. it may take a week of daily driving) and how to reset the tranny to OEM profile (remove battery cables and touch them together, leave off for several hours and have Navi and radio codes available for after reconnecting battery).
Old 01-05-2008 | 01:28 PM
Racer

That's crazy man... do you know what the name of this feature is? I flipped through the manual but didn't see anything. Plus it would help for keyword searching.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2008 | 01:33 PM
SOLD

Originally Posted by elkayem
Mine feels fine, nothing special. It does the same for my STI, I occasionally get some lift-off oversteer in the STI.
WOW you are 19 and have a a 3G TLs and a STi? I am not trying to pick on you but it seems you either somehow make very good money for your age and live with your parents, or are pretty spoiled!

As for the thread question, yes my 04TL did the same thing. I don't know if it has something to do with the drive by wire and hill/grade descent logic possibly? My 01CLs did not do this. ..
Old 01-05-2008 | 04:28 PM
Racer

That's crazy man... do you know what the name of this feature is? I flipped through the manual but didn't see anything. Plus it would help for keyword searching.
It is actually called grade logic and here are some links and information I found. Also, I don't think it's responsible for the behavior I am describing:

http://www.acura.com/index.aspx?init...iftHoldControl
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113297

Grade Logic Control (GLC) in the PCM keeps the A/T from making frequent and unnecessary shifts when you’re going up or down a hill, or going around corners. This allows the vehicle to ride smoother, have more power available when needed, and makes the car operate more normally. The PCM adjusts the shift points by comparing actual driving conditions—based on input from the vehicle speed sensor, throttle position sensor, and engine coolant temperature sensor, along with the brake switch signal and the shift lever position signal—to the values stored in the PCM memory.

Ascending Control. When the PCM determines that you’re climbing a hill with the vehicle in one of the drive positions, for example D or D5 (shift position names vary by model and model year), GLC may delay up-shifting from 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, and from 4th to 5th (if you’ve got a 5-speed trans), to keep the trans from shifting too soon or too often.

Descending Control. When the PCM determines that you’re going down a hill with the the vehicle in one of the drive positions, for example D or D5, GLC may delay up-shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, 3rd to 4th, and from 4th to 5th (if you’ve got a 5-speed trans), to keep the trans from shifting too soon or too often. This shift pattern and deceleration lock-up help control the speed so you don’t need to brake. If you do need to brake, GLC may down-shift the trans from 5th to 4th (if you’ve got a 5-speed trans), 4th to 3rd, or 3rd to 2nd, depending on how steep the hill is, how fast you’re going, and how fast you’re decelerating.

Deceleration Control. When going around corners, the vehicle needs to decelerate first and then accelerate. GLC anticipates corners when you’re braking from speeds above 27 mph and then accelerating. When this is detected, the GLC shifts into 2nd for better acceleration.
Old 01-05-2008 | 06:55 PM
3.2 VTEC

grade logic is for dealing with hills, for example leave your car in d on a really steep downwards hill, your car won't accelerate due to gravity because it would be using engine breaking...you don't even have to use your breaks, it'll creep down by itself unless ofcourse you press on the gas.

the automatic learns driving styles and shift points based on how you drive, and it's every car now not just the tl, it's been like that for a while, altough some are not as good obviously....i don't think there's a name for it, it's just a part of the transmission ecu i guess.
Old 01-05-2008 | 08:03 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by NightRider
WOW you are 19 and have a a 3G TLs and a STi? I am not trying to pick on you but it seems you either somehow make very good money for your age and live with your parents, or are pretty spoiled!

There are a lot of "youngsters" who, for whatever reason, have been able to get into a TL (or better) at an earlier age than some of the rest of us. Making assumptions about their lifestyle, income, etc, or assuming they are "spoiled" is a pointless and unproductive excercise.

He owns a TL; he belongs here. MY .

Old 01-05-2008 | 08:58 PM
I have car ADD

yes. GradeLogic is the answer.... i actually dont like one aspect of it..

If i am driving down a steep hill in auto mode, the car will be doing.. say... 40 in 3rd gear @ 3k+ RPM.. it wont shift into 4th ??

I always have to slap the shifter over and push the car into 4th or 5th gear. If the hill is steep enough, and you shift back to auto (still at 40+mph) it will drop back down in to a lower gear.. I mean, it sounds great and all, but i feel like it is excessive tranny wear
Old 01-05-2008 | 09:00 PM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
There are a lot of "youngsters" who, for whatever reason, have been able to get into a TL (or better) at an earlier age than some of the rest of us. Making assumptions about their lifestyle, income, etc, or assuming they are "spoiled" is a pointless and unproductive excercise.

He owns a TL; he belongs here. MY .

i agree...
Old 01-05-2008 | 10:17 PM
Instructor

Here is another old thread about this that I found when I was new to the TL.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...5&page=3&pp=25
Old 01-05-2008 | 10:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
yes. GradeLogic is the answer.... i actually dont like one aspect of it..

If i am driving down a steep hill in auto mode, the car will be doing.. say... 40 in 3rd gear @ 3k+ RPM.. it wont shift into 4th ??

I always have to slap the shifter over and push the car into 4th or 5th gear. If the hill is steep enough, and you shift back to auto (still at 40+mph) it will drop back down in to a lower gear.. I mean, it sounds great and all, but i feel like it is excessive tranny wear

the tranny wont shift at 40mph going down hill because it is programmed to shift at 45-47mph. try this going down a step hill accelerate to about 46mph then lift off gently it should shift on its own. but if you lift off quickly it will hold the gear as it thinks your are driving aggressively and want to hold your gear longer. this is how my 07 TLS behaves, not sure if the normal TL does.
Old 01-05-2008 | 11:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

u might find it funny but when my tires were under inflated it used to feel the same way. but in my case i have 19" wheels and 245 tires so its different......anyhow when i have my tires 38 - 35 psi front rear my car feels much more responsive and easier to accelerate and it rolls into the next gear insted of waiting for the next shift to pull.... when i had them 32-30 lets say it used to feel that way u describe it....