3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does the car locks by itself!? how to set it on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does the car locks by itself!? how to set it on?

Hey guys,

I remember when I first got the car I'd go out to my parking lot and check it out every night. I remember after I unlock the TL with my remote, it would lock itself up automatically after a minute so if the car is untouched.

This past weekend, I unlocked my TL with remote and sat in without turning on the engine. The car did not lock itself up whatsoever after good 2-3 minutes! Then I was thinking maybe it is because the car knows I am in the car. The next day, I went to a restaurant and came out. My friend opened the door without me unlocking it! Basically it was sitting there unlocked, how is that possible? Doesn't the TL does it auto lock thing or did I shut it off accidentally??

Please tell me how to turn on that auto lock feature...thanks!
Old 10-31-2006, 11:47 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
The car didn't lock when you got in because you opened the door to get in it. You can program the car using the MID. Just get the manual for the car, it's also in the quick starts pamphlet.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Racer

The "auto lock" feature you describe would really blow if your keys were in the car and you weren't.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:55 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimmyl729
Hey guys,

I remember when I first got the car I'd go out to my parking lot and check it out every night. I remember after I unlock the TL with my remote, it would lock itself up automatically after a minute so if the car is untouched.

This past weekend, I unlocked my TL with remote and sat in without turning on the engine. The car did not lock itself up whatsoever after good 2-3 minutes! Then I was thinking maybe it is because the car knows I am in the car. The next day, I went to a restaurant and came out. My friend opened the door without me unlocking it! Basically it was sitting there unlocked, how is that possible? Doesn't the TL does it auto lock thing or did I shut it off accidentally??

Please tell me how to turn on that auto lock feature...thanks!
The auto lock feature only works when you unlock the TL with your remote and fail to open any of the doors.

You can tweak the amount of time between when you unlock and the auto relock by accessing your keyless entry settings.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:55 PM
•TEAM ACURA•

mid settings.

mine lock auto in 30 sec if i unlock using the remote but do not open the door.
if i open the door, it will not lock back at all
Old 10-31-2006, 01:02 PM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

For about six months I thought my car was locking its self when I would get out of my car at work. I would walk away & think it would arm & lock its self. During those 6 months, the car was unlocked everytime. I found out the hard way when the same thing happened to you when a friend opened my door w/out me unlocking it. It seems the car needs to be armed first, then you disarm it & don't open the door...... it arms & locks itself to the programmed time you set it in the driver settings in the MID.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acura's_Crown
The auto lock feature only works when you unlock the TL with your remote and fail to open any of the doors.

You can tweak the amount of time between when you unlock and the auto relock by accessing your keyless entry settings.
thank you...
Old 10-31-2006, 07:52 PM
Pro

I have programmed my car to auto-lock. By force of habit, I still found myself using the fob to lock the car EVERYTIME after I shut the car door. Maybe it is good habit, regardless of modern technology.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by kenny5
I have programmed my car to auto-lock. By force of habit, I still found myself using the fob to lock the car EVERYTIME after I shut the car door. Maybe it is good habit, regardless of modern technology.
Once again I will quote what was quoted in the post directly above yours.

The auto lock setting in the MID only works when you either shift from Park or go over 10mph. It has nothing to do with when you exit the car and close the doors. So you better keep on locking with the key fob, because that is the only way the doors will get locked after you exit the car, unless you press the lock button near the mirror controls before you exit.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron A
So you better keep on locking with the key fob, because that is the only way the doors will get locked after you exit the car, unless you press the lock button near the mirror controls before you exit.
And a good thing for all us old geezers not used to power lock switches: pushing down on the DRIVER's door lock knob/pin will also lock all the doors and arm the alarm.
The passenger door lock knobs/pins do not lock any other doors or arm the alarm.
Our Odyssey minivan locks also work this way.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:32 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Andrew McCarthy
The "auto lock" feature you describe would really blow if your keys were in the car and you weren't.
Tell me about it, It's cost me over $200 in lockout services due to my wife generally locking my son in the car!

I can't find anything in the manual on how to disable it, anyone have some good instructions or how to get to the 'keyless entry settings' as discussed earlier?
Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Advanced

That's one of my biggest fears. Starting my car then getting out to scrape the windshield or something then find out that the doors automatically locked somehow. It's never happened but for some reason I've never 'trusted' my car locks. I got to the point where I make an extra (thin) key and put it my wallet just in case. I guess we all have our unjustified fears.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First time I took my car to the dealer for an oil change they didn't realize I had the feature turned on. I also had the key hole cover mod so that confused them even more. Needless to say that oil change took 3 hours

Got a free tank of gas and the oil change for free, so it wasn't that bad I guess.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:57 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by diamond187
Tell me about it, It's cost me over $200 in lockout services due to my wife generally locking my son in the car!

I can't find anything in the manual on how to disable it, anyone have some good instructions or how to get to the 'keyless entry settings' as discussed earlier?

There is no way for you to disable the security relock feature. The only control you have is the delay before the car re-locks. You can choose between 30, 60 or 90 seconds.

I don't see how the security re-lock feature can be locking your wife out of the car since the feature only works if you unlock your car with the remote and fail to open any of the doors...

As for accessing your keyless entry settings, use the info button located on the dash to the right of your steering wheel to toggle through your selections, press select when keyless memory settings are displayed, then tweak to your heart's desire.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Advanced

Hahahaha, this is so funny.

Gammah

Originally Posted by lembowski
First time I took my car to the dealer for an oil change they didn't realize I had the feature turned on. I also had the key hole cover mod so that confused them even more. Needless to say that oil change took 3 hours

Got a free tank of gas and the oil change for free, so it wasn't that bad I guess.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:44 AM
2nd Gear

There is no way for you to disable the security relock feature. The only control you have is the delay before the car re-locks. You can choose between 30, 60 or 90 seconds.

I don't see how the security re-lock feature can be locking your wife out of the car since the feature only works if you unlock your car with the remote and fail to open any of the doors...

As for accessing your keyless entry settings, use the info button located on the dash to the right of your steering wheel to toggle through your selections, press select when keyless memory settings are displayed, then tweak to your heart's desire.

Well, first off it's a 2000 TL, so the info button isnt there in that year, just searching the forums for the keyless lockout and found this page. What happens is that she unlocks it, opens the back passenger door to put out son in, throws the keys in the front seat [the mistake she's making] and then when the kids in, shuts the door to walk around to the drivers side..

Lets just say I've gotten pretty good at popping locks, it was either that or another $100 a month bill coming in!