3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it bother you to see seniors driving the TL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it bother you to see seniors driving the TL?

Maybe this is just a Florida thing but I picked up my 05' TL last week. I really love it. I think of it more of a sports car than anything else. But it seems over the last few days I have seen more than one senior citizen driving the TL and it kinda bums me out.

I thought the car was more for the 21-54 year old group. Not the 65+. Maybe this is not a very popular question but does this bug anyone else?
Old 12-22-2004, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Well let's see. I'm between the ages you listed, so I guess until I've had enough birthdays to reach the top figure you have, I'm safe.

But here's something for you. While chronologically, I may be in my later 50's, mentally I'm around 24-28. I still prefer Rock 'n Roll as my primary form of music. I love cars and guns and boats. I dress mostly in jeans and rugbys in the off season and either jeans or shorts with golf shirts in the warm weather. My TL has a manual transmission and I wouldn't have it any other way. Drag racing is still one of my favorite sports and I am a gearhead.

I tell off-color jokes, cut up quite a bit, and laugh one heck of a lot. I DO NOT care for people who have little or no sense of humor or who are clueless when you kid around.. or worse, offended. And I am most definitely not PC.

Does this make me a senior or do I still qualify as a young man?
Old 12-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Being 65 doesn't mean you've lost your sense of style or luxury. The TL is still more luxury sedan rather than a sports car.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:05 PM
Racer

I believe I made a wise decision getting the TL, dont you? I'll bet those TL seniors out there feel they made a wise decision as well. The TL is not a sports car and it is not a luxory car, it is an entry level luxory car that has a sporty feel. A lot of seniors are looking for a larger car they dont have to jump up into or crawl down into. The TL is a perfect height has a lot of room, is easy to drive and is very safe. I could not be upset that anyone else buys a 35k car that I love. But an 16 year old kid that Mom and Dad buys one for...thats a different story. I think you have to earn a 35k car not have it boughht fopr you. I guess that would be my "unpopular comment" Sorry to the kids out there....not really!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Awesome to the Max

i think it's pretty cool that old people drive this car...

i didn't want a car that any 18 year old can go out and just buy like a civic or mustang
Old 12-22-2004, 07:09 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what about Ferrari or lamborghini~ ? so many 65+ ppl drive Ferrari and lambo here~
Old 12-22-2004, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrtgman
Maybe this is just a Florida thing but I picked up my 05' TL last week. I really love it. I think of it more of a sports car than anything else. But it seems over the last few days I have seen more than one senior citizen driving the TL and it kinda bums me out.

I thought the car was more for the 21-54 year old group. Not the 65+. Maybe this is not a very popular question but does this bug anyone else?
There are a ton of older people who drive the larger Acura's. They started with the comfy first generation TL, and ofcourse soon the word got out that these were reliable cars. This generation of drivers is generally interested in a roomy, super reliable car, they want no hassles, no head aches and are not even necessarily interested in performance or handling capabilities. Retired drivers ofcourse often must budget differently. And the smart ones do not want to throw money at a repair prone car. So there you go.I believe that from then on they stayed with all the newer generation Acuras. All the way up to the 2004 TL.Now they also get the added benefit of looking like a stud!!! You also see a large segment of the senior population driving Camry's- must be for the same reasons- but ofcourse its also a more afforable car. No age group ownes this hot new TL. Only the smart ones do!!! And we want to see everybody enjoy the little pleasures of life!
Old 12-22-2004, 07:25 PM
Pro

I have seen at least 100 '04-'05 TLs on the road since buying mine. I don't think I have ever seen anyone older than me driving one. Maybe that's because there are virtually no "old" people in this area.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Banned

get the fock out of FL quick !
Old 12-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Doesn't bother me at all. I could care less what other people, regardless of their age, spend their money on.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Racer

One of the reasons I traded in my Accord for a TL is because I got tired of seeing old people driving it. I wanted a car that you wouldn't see old people driving. But the day I went to pick up my TL, in the stall next to me was some old couple picking up their TL. Theirs was blue with quartz. Looked sharp too. But it just looked so odd to see this old couple driving a sporty looking car.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Well let's see. I'm between the ages you listed, so I guess until I've had enough birthdays to reach the top figure you have, I'm safe.

But here's something for you. While chronologically, I may be in my later 50's, mentally I'm around 24-28. I still prefer Rock 'n Roll as my primary form of music. I love cars and guns and boats. I dress mostly in jeans and rugbys in the off season and either jeans or shorts with golf shirts in the warm weather. My TL has a manual transmission and I wouldn't have it any other way. Drag racing is still one of my favorite sports and I am a gearhead.

I tell off-color jokes, cut up quite a bit, and laugh one heck of a lot. I DO NOT care for people who have little or no sense of humor or who are clueless when you kid around.. or worse, offended. And I am most definitely not PC.

Does this make me a senior or do I still qualify as a young man?
Right on SouthernBoy! I'm a 53 year old yankee, but I agree with you 100%. You're only as old as you think you are. I just traded my 2001 Suzuki GSXR this summer, so don't anyone tell me I'm old! LOL
Old 12-22-2004, 09:47 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
The first thing my girlfriend and friends said about the car was 'why did you get an old man car?' i guess at least at my age everyone would expect a two door coupe or something else....not that the car is meant for old people, but of its styling (either way.....I love the looks). a 4-door luxury sedan isnt targeted for the 21-29 year old range....at least not totally
Old 12-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Imho...

??? Why!? It's good to see seniors having such young/energetic hearts of willing to driving this great car..

This thread might cause

This thread is as wicked as those threads in where ppl are wondering why these young kids would be able to drive this 35k vehicle...

Enjoy your car, and to any 3G TL'rs passing by...
Old 12-22-2004, 10:18 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Good taste is ageless.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Go to OC buddy for sure you will see a lot " I meant a billion" of old ppl driving TL's
Old 12-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Racer

Why do you think all of us youngins are itching for body kits and rims? We gotta seperate ourselves from those that are 2-3x our age
Old 12-23-2004, 12:17 AM
I shift therefore I am

I dont care either.

I hope when I get older I'll be driving a sport-luxury car rather than a tomb. Folks like SouthernBoy and DaveRubino - you guys are alright!
Old 12-23-2004, 01:33 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm 54 and confused. Can I keep my TL till I'm 65 or what?
The only people that think we are old are young adults and less!

Still like beer, rock&roll, hiphop & driving. I want it, can afford it & got it.
Not much but some ego involved. Don't care much who is driving one as long as you're not in my way.

Now, one of the reasons I passed on G35 Coupe & Mustang is that they are to hard to get in and out of just like my Delsol. :padlock:
Old 12-23-2004, 06:19 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What's age got to do with it?

As the saying goes, you're as young as you feel.

Cred to someone that age who thinks highly enough of the TL to buy it.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:06 AM
Team Anthracite Member

It actually bothers me more to see a 17 or 18 year old driving one - cause it took me 34 years to get one!

But I remind myself that MY Acura sits along side of another Acura (not Mommy or Daddy's), inside a nice cozy 2-car garage (not Mommy & Daddy's) in a brand-new 4 bedroom house,(again, not Mommy & Daddy's). Oh yeah - with 2 self-paid Degrees hanging up on the wall inside.

Gosh - I should have just bought a damn Ferrari at 18 and probably had a lot more fun!!

18 or 80 :killer: everyone should drive it. Life is too short not to do what you want to do and when you want to. Enjoy life. It don't matter to me if the guy in the Acura next to me is 18 or 80 - cuz I'll smoke their ass either way!
Old 12-23-2004, 07:26 AM
Pro

Just race the old fockers and show them who's boss

I think it's great that they are driving TL's. Hey, they might not have much time left so let them enjoy the time they do have. They deserve a nice ride after living for 65+ years, what would you have them drive? A Buick POS?
Old 12-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

To TBone2004;

Hey, that's my house! Mine's new, too.. well a little of 5 years old.. house, that is. And the other car that lives in my garage is my wife's BMW (the TL's better). Then there's my little red Ford Ranger pick-em-up in my driveway. Currently, I'm boatless having sold our last one in '95 and not yet replacing it. She was a SeaRay 268 Sundancer (1989 model). But alas, my two, self-paid also, degrees are in my dresser not hanging in my study. They've served their purpose.

To DAVERUBINO;

Hey there yankee. I hate the cold and can't wait for the heat of summer again.. it's a Southern thing, I suppose, nothing to do with age. I hated the cold when I was a little kid, too. Yep, age is all in your head as long as all of the body parts are working. Some years ago (like mayby 10 or 12), someone told me to act my age. Now this individual was maybe in their 40's. I responded with, "What, and be like you?". Where does it say that just because you get older, you have to abandon the things you loved in your youth? Nonsense! Sometimes my wife squirms a little when there's company around because she never knows what's going come out of my mouth, but I do make her laugh a lot. I was a big fan of the Greaseman in the 80's when he was here in the DC area and really good. That might give you a bit of an idea of where my sense of humor lies.

To tlram;

Thanks much for the props. My next door neighbor is building a Factory Five 1966 427 A/C Shelby Cobra replica. He's be at it for 2 1/2 years now and is doing one fantastic job. The thing's so clean and pristine, it's amazing. Right now it's in North Carolina getting painted, so Ivan hopes to have it on the road this spring. He's running a bored and stroked 302 Ford small block (331 cubic inches), AFR aluminum heads, a Comp cam (don't know which one), serious after-market intake and plenum, 1.7 roller rockers, and of course the obligatory headers. It's a crate motor from Pennsylvania and is rated at 400 HP for his 2350 pound car. Should be nice. Now that's something I would like, but what I'd rather have is a real 1966 427 L74 Corvette. I ordered one in November, 1965, but never received it because my step-father talked my mother out of signing for the loan. So I wound up with a 1966 SS 396/360 L34 Chevelle.

Anyway, y'all take care.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE=apwalsh]Just race the old fockers and show them who's boss

LMFAO!! Amen!
Old 12-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
[THICKSARCASM] Maybe we should pass some laws that people past a certain age should have their right to buy any car curtailed. Better yet, maybe the govt should pass a federal law so when people reach a certain age, they'll be herded into coloseums, loaded onto carousels, propelled up in the air and zapped by deadly laser beams. We can call the process "renewal", as though this mandate is something honorable.

But for those who try to avoid "renewal", we'll create an arm of the FBI that tracks down these people and executed them on the site. We can call these particular FBI Agents "sandmen" and they'll refer to the escaping seniors as "runners". Let's call this law, the Logan's Run Law [/THICKSARCASM]
Old 12-23-2004, 09:04 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I couldn't care less what anyone else buys, although I hope that the TL does not become popular with the "rice" crowd.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Pro

It does not make a difference on what age TL owners are to me. I purchased the car because I loved it, not cuz of other folks driving it.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ClnOB
Go to OC buddy for sure you will see a lot " I meant a billion" of old ppl driving TL's

Where is OC?
Old 12-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Shift_faster

Where is OC?
On Fox5.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

eh who cares if older people drive the TL? The more the merrier. Higher sales can only be a good thing. Free tip - get into geriatric medicine, that's going to be huge for the next 20-30 years as the boomers head in to retirement.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

To F23A4;

I like your sarcasm and sense of humor. Howerver, I'm a pretty good shot and generally go armed so this would not be a good thing for someone to try with me.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Instructor

This age prejudice is something the Lexus saleswoman tried to play against when I told her I was going to look at the TL. It's not for "you", it's for a younger guy.

The TL is a combination of sportiness, luxury & technology. It won me over by its combination of all three of these. I suppose someone might pick it just for the luxury side of it; someone who didn't want a big car or SUV. Who knows? they look up in Consumer Reports what the good luxury cars are & go out & buy them without doing extensive test driving. If money isn't an issue that may be what they're looking for.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
To F23A4;

I like your sarcasm and sense of humor. Howerver, I'm a pretty good shot and generally go armed so this would not be a good thing for someone to try with me.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
For some, It's all about image...

It's been my experience <stroking beard> that younger ppl are more concerned with image than wizzened, experienced drivers such as myself. I think that comes from a lack of self-confidence and a herd mentality. Not being confident that one's taste is acceptable to the herd, they look around to see what kind of cars, music, clothes- the popular people are consuming and then go for that.

As one matures, we become more confident and less concerned with acceptance. In short, we buy and do WTF we want. We are secure financially, independent, and go with our own wants and needs.

Inside, I am still the 16 year old who hitch-hiked to Dunkirk, NY to watch cars drag race at the old airport. I idolized Chris Karamasin, Don Garletts, Art Arfons and others who were pioneers in that pasttime. My juices still flow hot when I pull up to a red light next to a car that is reasonable competition to my TL. I hate to lose and love to win.

I lust for a Ferrari V-12, a Viper, an M-B SLK-55 AMG, and a new BMW M5 V-10. Impossible to dream of as a teenager, they are now a viable alternative. It's now a matter of priorities.

I work on my own cars and have rebuilt several. The first was when I was 15. When I finished that flathead 1950 Mercury convertable restoration, I was not old enough to drive it. I sold it. But now, I've been around long enough that some young folks might consider me "old". But those who know me never would. My peer group is in their 20-30s.

At this point in my life, I set trends- I don't follow them.

My name is XP and I am a gear head.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

To F23A4;

A little tongue-in-cheek. I ain't looking to plug anyone, that I can assure you.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Intermediate

If I can afford a car like a TL in my retirement I'm gettin' one. Maybe I'll get an automatic though ;-)

The 60's+ TL driving set you see are simply the cool ones.

News flash - you don't have to drive a Lincoln the size of an oil barge when you turn 60.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It bothers me that I don't see more new TL's on the road. I live in nearby Tequesta and I have seen only about ten in the area since I bought my TL a year ago this week. And you're right, most of the drivers appear to be older. Although I'm 58, I don't see myself as a senior citizen. I've always owned quick cars plus my other car is a Corvette. IMO, the TL is a bargain. It's fun to drive and comfortable. Acura needs to promote it more.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:07 AM
Drifting

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were and didn't have a mirror?? Age is relative and it's how you feel and act that determines your age. Personally, I think anyone who drives a TL made a good choice. Most people who buy BMW's buy the name and image, and I've found most can't drive very well either. Merry Christmas everyone!!
Old 12-24-2004, 06:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
There are a lot of "older" people in my area with new TLs. Don't really care, taste is truly ageless. All I can say is that when I'm 65 I hope I still enjoy cars as much as I do now. If I do, I'm sure I'll buy a sporty luxury sedan. I'll be sure to wave at the youngsters who own the same car I do to make them feel better.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by neuronbob
There are a lot of "older" people in my area with new TLs. Don't really care, taste is truly ageless. All I can say is that when I'm 65 I hope I still enjoy cars as much as I do now. If I do, I'm sure I'll buy a sporty luxury sedan. I'll be sure to wave at the youngsters who own the same car I do to make them feel better.
Well stated!!

Quick Reply: Does it bother you to see seniors driving the TL?