3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do you hear a lot of road noise inside your TL?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you hear a lot of road noise inside your TL?

I dont really have a problem with the road noise until after I had my tints installed, it seems like i am hearing a lot more road noise than I normally do.

I wonder if it is all psychological, since the tint shop did a horrible job (by cutting off some pieces inside the door panel to avoid scratching the tint, but later reinstalled after my complain)

Only until recently I drove on the freeway with the stereo off that I realized how much road noise I am hearing and it is driving me nuts. Has it always been this way? Do you hear a lot of noise when driving on the freeway with stereo off?

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:54 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyl729
I dont really have a problem with the road noise until after I had my tints installed, it seems like i am hearing a lot more road noise than I normally do.

I wonder if it is all psychological, since the tint shop did a horrible job (by cutting off some pieces inside the door panel to avoid scratching the tint, but later reinstalled after my complain)

Only until recently I drove on the freeway with the stereo off that I realized how much road noise I am hearing and it is driving me nuts. Has it always been this way? Do you hear a lot of noise when driving on the freeway with stereo off?

Thanks.
Mine is definitely louder now than when new. Most of this is due to the half worn Michelin PS2 tires. Though I completely despised the Bridgestone EL-42's (OEM tires), they were much quieter than the Michelin's. Then again, the PS2's are far superior in every other aspect....

One wouldn't think the tint alone would cause a difference.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:20 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, I guess I must give Stella an extra hug then...she spares me all of that racket! I guess I'm lucky, but no noise after my tint and the only rattle I hear is from the sub area when I crank it with some serious bass, but I have the fix for that already. I've just been busy putting Halle Berry on my Navi screen!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Instructor

My car seems very quiet to me so far. I traded a 2007 Accord in on the TL. The Accord was a nightmare as far as road noise and the exact reason I traded it; I had a headache as soon as I hit the interstate and would have to almost scream to have a discussion in the car!!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:31 PM
10th Gear

rubber seals

If they cut out the rubber seals, big diff in noise. Maybe they did not put them back right. I had my doors off this weekend to put on the mole skin and can see how removing the seals would change the noise level.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Instructor

no noise for me w/the radio off and i've had my tints done and etc....

the tires are surprisingly quiet too. OEM shitstones still....knock on wood.

Originally Posted by jimmyl729

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Cruisin'

Same problem. Found trick to help reduce noise.

I've noticed the road noise as well on my '05 AT.

A trick I have found to help reduce the noise a bit is to just tap the buttons for the two front windows such that the two windows move down only a fraction of an inch. For some reason this causes a significant reduction in road noise on my car. It also slightly reduces the damn scritchy sound from the top of the windows that I've had since the car was new.

All I can figure is that by reducing the pressure on the window some, it allows something in the door panel to relax enough to seal tighter.

The downfall to this "fix" is that you need to remember to do it every time you put a window down. Kinda inconvenient but it works and mostly fixes a problem the dealer couldn't.

I'd love to know if this works for anyone else!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:37 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
ok. the TL is veryyyy quiet car... (except mine LOL)

TIRES TIRES TIRES TIRES

i run 19's w/ some serious dunlop rubbers... sticks to the road like you would never believe.

in the winter, i through on my stock OEMs... and wow... it was sooooo much quieter, you would never believe it... also. the ground makes a difference too. cement = more noise... blacktop = nice quiet & smooth...
Old 06-04-2007, 10:55 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by nhb69
If they cut out the rubber seals, big diff in noise. Maybe they did not put them back right. I had my doors off this weekend to put on the mole skin and can see how removing the seals would change the noise level.

I agree, they probably cut those rubber blades inside. Some tint shops do this to prevent them from scratching the tint (and them having to replace the scratched tint)

The blades form a 'seal' against your window blocking out noise and air, once the blades are cut, the noise increases significantly.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
my 05 is ok.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:27 AM
2007 TL-S & CBR600RR

These TLs are VERY quiet. Mine is exceptionally quiet...unfortunately for Acura as the "clunk in the trunk" from the POS struts is THAT much more noticeable as a result.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Racer

It's the tires!!!!!!!!!!!! Change them, especially if you have over 30,000 miles.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Racer

Would dynamatting the doors (and rear deck) reduce road noise in the cabin significantly or just be a waste of time and money?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Crissy78
My car seems very quiet to me so far. I traded a 2007 Accord in on the TL. The Accord was a nightmare as far as road noise and the exact reason I traded it; I had a headache as soon as I hit the interstate and would have to almost scream to have a discussion in the car!!
Although not exactly a Lexus GS430, I have not found that my 07 AV6 exhibits that much road noise.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Instructor

thanks guys for the input

looks like u guys have narrowed down to the rubber seals, i dont think its the tires because im using stock
Old 06-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by RARIPPLE

It also slightly reduces the damn scritchy sound from the top of the windows that I've had since the car was new.
Do a search in problems & fixes for a resent addition I made to a post for a fix for this noise ..
Old 06-05-2007, 06:29 PM
05 TL

Tires make a huge difference...

Old 06-06-2007, 12:34 AM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my TL used to be quite haha.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:19 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ussi
my TL used to be quite haha.
Used to be "quite" what?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:17 AM
I (don't) whine.

lol..quite quiet.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Pro

Just had my new TLS tinted last week, and with the new felt on the window seals, it actually got quieter. Windows seem to close without the 'thunk' now too.
Sux that your tint guy decided to cut the seals! Hope you don't get window rattles as a result. Of the three options that you can choose from (Felt, NO Felt, Cut Seals) IMO the cut seals is the least desirable.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Pro

A trick I have found to help reduce the noise a bit is to just tap the buttons for the two front windows such that the two windows move down only a fraction of an inch. For some reason this causes a significant reduction in road noise on my car. It also slightly reduces the damn scritchy sound from the top of the windows that I've had since the car was new.

All I can figure is that by reducing the pressure on the window some, it allows something in the door panel to relax enough to seal tighter.

The downfall to this "fix" is that you need to remember to do it every time you put a window down. Kinda inconvenient but it works and mostly fixes a problem the dealer couldn't.

I have the same problem and I did the same fix. So far so good, but my dealer could never figure out a fix, even though I took the car there several times.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by davenlei
Would dynamatting the doors (and rear deck) reduce road noise in the cabin significantly or just be a waste of time and money?
Yes it would greatly reduce any road noise if applied to the proper areas atleast twice.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tint made it quieter

[QUOTE=ChicagoBurbs]Just had my new TLS tinted last week, and with the new felt on the window seals, it actually got quieter.

I had my '06 tinted with Llumar Axcess earlier this week and it actually sounds quieter to me than before. I was thinking that I might be hallucinating because I thought it was quieter, but it appears I may be right. The shop did not cut the rubber seals nor did they put in moleskin.

For the record, I like a good hallucination, it's just probably not a good idea to have one behind the wheel.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Intermediate

Tint made it quieter.

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
Just had my new TLS tinted last week, and with the new felt on the window seals, it actually got quieter.
I had my '06 tinted with Llumar Axcess earlier this week and it sounds quieter to me than before. I was thinking that I might be hallucinating, but it appears I may be right. The shop did not cut the rubber seals nor did they put in moleskin.

For the record, I like a good hallucination, it's just probably not a good idea to have one behind the wheel.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:31 AM
RAR

Originally Posted by acurallac
I had my '06 tinted with Llumar Axcess earlier this week and it sounds quieter to me than before. I was thinking that I might be hallucinating, but it appears I may be right. The shop did not cut the rubber seals nor did they put in moleskin.

If they dont cut the rubber blades, you're basically making the windows a little thicker which forms a tighter seal.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:02 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts

I do the same exact thing. I can actually see the door "un flex" and the seals make contact with the glass. (where the window meets the top of the door pane). This cuts out a lot of road noise. Big time PITA to remember to do this all the time.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leedogg
If they dont cut the rubber blades, you're basically making the windows a little thicker which forms a tighter seal.

I was thinking that the tint film had a dampening effect on the window and kept it from vibrating as much.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:07 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by acurallac
I was thinking that the tint film had a dampening effect on the window and kept it from vibrating as much.
hmm doubtful, tint film in no way resembles the characteristics of dynamat... but who knows, maybe..
Old 06-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leedogg
hmm doubtful, tint film in no way resembles the characteristics of dynamat... but who knows, maybe..

Well, you are right about one thing - tint film will make the window thicker, and a thicker window is harder to vibrate than a thinner one. I guess I shouldn't rule out the tighter seal, either.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I still have a hard time believing your tints have anything to do with road-noise.. Personally, I noticed a huge reduction in road noise when I got rid of those crappy arse tires, and replaced them with Potenza RE960AS.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:18 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
I find (after only 2 weeks) our TL-S to amazingly quite. Very little tire noise and the "road noise" seems like it more feeling the road bumps than actually hearing them. The TL-S has ANC so that may be contributing; but it is very quiet even with the radio all the way off.

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
ok. the TL is veryyyy quiet car... (except mine LOL)

TIRES TIRES TIRES TIRES

i run 19's w/ some serious dunlop rubbers... sticks to the road like you would never believe.

in the winter, i through on my stock OEMs... and wow... it was sooooo much quieter, you would never believe it... also. the ground makes a difference too. cement = more noise... blacktop = nice quiet & smooth...
So True. I had a friend who did an "experiment" (not a TL driver, btw). He swapped a number of different tires onto his car and reported significant differences in tire noise between brands/models.