Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need to get my money back?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need to get my money back?

So I bought a '07 CPO TL with 32k yesterday. The transmission shakes the car when shifting from reverse into drive (even with the car fully stopped). Also even with light throttle, the car shifts rough (not extreme but noticeable). Not putting a great taste in my mouth for my first Acura.

Sounds like the transmission is junk.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
If it was me i would return it if i could... I know when i put my car in reverse it tends to shake the car a little but thats normal according to some members here but when i put it in drive, i feel it engaging but it doesnt shake.

if you are not happy on the first day... its just going to keep bothering you more and more...
Old 08-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Intermediate

I just want the car to work. I've never had a car with tranny problems. Although taking the car back seems like a nightmare scenario. I don't see that going smoothly
Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
the funny thing is if you do procede with it and it ends up not going so smooth as u already said then you're gonna start hating the car the dealer everybody

but then again if its really bad or something is wrong then you should go ahead...
Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
welcome to the forum and congrats on your TL.

You did take it on an extensive test drive, didn't you?

Yes, it's CPO, take it back, have a tech ride with you and hopefully you can duplicate the symptoms.

It's likely that a correctly done 3x3 ATF drain/refill will solve the problem. Be sure they follow the full procedure of running the transmission on the lift between fills (helps to ensure most of fluid is pumped out of the torque converter). Print out the tech bulletin and take it in with you:

http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B080100.PDF

Also, here's a good link to a vast wealth of information on this forum (it's also a "sticky post" in the "Problems" forum):

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/check-these-sources-out-if-youre-having-problem-just-want-learn-something-767930/

Last edited by nfnsquared; 08-12-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

I guess why i'm posting on here is to get an idea of if this is a valid concern or just something that needs to be tweaked.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
welcome to the forum and congrats on your TL.

You did take it on an extensive test drive, didn't you?

Yes, it's CPO, take it back, have a tech ride with you and hopefully you can duplicate the symptoms.

It's likely that a correctly done 3x3 ATF drain/refill will solve the problem. Be sure they follow the full procedure of running the transmission on the lift between fills (helps to ensure most of fluid is pumped out of the torque converter). Print out the tech bulletin and take it in with you:

http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B080100.PDF

Also, here's a good link to a vast wealth of information on this forum (it's also a "sticky post" in the "Problems" forum):

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767930
I got a copy of the CPO work that was done. They did a ATF Flush. I'm trying to figure out if they just didn't do it right, or if they were trying to solve this problem in the first place.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Wasn't present on the test drive?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tehvine
Wasn't present on the test drive?
It's somewhat intermittent. Murphy's Law I guess.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
CPO Warranty Coverage
COVERAGE THAT BRINGS CONFIDENCE An extended factory warranty and three-day exchange policy (where applicable) provide unparalleled peace of mind with any Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle purchase. Every buyer receives a 12-month / 12,000-mile Limited Warranty plus a 7-year / 100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty, and coverage is honored nationwide at all Acura dealers.

Shifting isn't the smoothest under certain conditions, but I'd have the dealer look at the car, or at least test drive another for comparison.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turbonut
CPO Warranty Coverage
COVERAGE THAT BRINGS CONFIDENCE An extended factory warranty and three-day exchange policy (where applicable) provide unparalleled peace of mind with any Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle purchase. Every buyer receives a 12-month / 12,000-mile Limited Warranty plus a 7-year / 100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty, and coverage is honored nationwide at all Acura dealers.
I know it's available, trying to decide if I'm being a hypochondriac or not.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
My $0.02: Dude, if it's bothering you now, you'll never be happy if you don't get it fixed.

So it did or didn't happen on the test drive?

If it's intermittent, it may be a crap shoot to duplicate it with a tech present, but you need to at least get it documented with your service department.

I'd go back tomorrow and POLITELY threaten to exercise the 3-day clause if they don't fix it.

Again, if they did a drain and refill, they may not have done the Acura tech bulletin procedure. You'll be amazed at how many Acura techs and service managers give you the "deer in the headlight" look when you mention a tech bulletin. Many of them aren't even aware some of these exist.

And yes, (do a search) there are numerous threads on rough shifting that some folks have had. I believe a great many of these have been resolved by a correctly done 3 x 3 drain/refill.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 08-12-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
So it didn't happen on the test drive?

If it's intermittent, it may be a crap shoot to duplicate it with a tech present.

However, I'd go back tomorrow and POLITELY threaten to exercise the 3-day clause if they don't fix it.

Again, if they did a drain and refill, they may not have done the Acura tech bulletin procedure. You'll be amazed at how many Acura techs and service managers give you the "deer in the headlight" look when you mention a tech bulletin. Many of them aren't even aware some of these exist.

And yes, (do a search) there are numerous threads on rough shifting that some folks have had. I believe a great many of these have been resolved by a correctly done 3 x 3 drain/refill.
Thanks for the tip. I've poured through the threads today. Hopefully that will give me some closure.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Intermediate

It just seems so strange that a tranny would be going bad this soon. I do know something's not right.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

If yall had to guess, would you say the transmission is having major or minor/resolvable issues?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaybird124
So I bought a '07 CPO TL with 32k yesterday. The transmission shakes the car when shifting from reverse into drive (even with the car fully stopped). Also even with light throttle, the car shifts rough (not extreme but noticeable). Not putting a great taste in my mouth for my first Acura.

Sounds like the transmission is junk.
It's probably not the transmission if it does this when shifting from reverse to drive. I would start by looking at the mounts. You probably have a broken one. This would explain the harsh shifts too.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I clicked this thread to read IHC's post
Old 08-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
take it back and let them fix it
Old 08-12-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
The 5AT sucks, period. Did you not notice anything when you test drove the car?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cjTL
The 5AT sucks, period. Did you not notice anything when you test drove the car?
I didn't notice anything, but I didn't know what to look for. When the R to D started acting up, that's when I started to notice the rough shifting.

Boo.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Intermediate

Makes me miss my BMW.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought my 07 Type-S with 46k miles. I test drove it 3 times. I guess in the excitement of getting a new car you don't notice every little detail. After I had it for a couple of weeks I noticed the trans seemed a little rough shifting. I had the car checked out twice. I had them replace the trans fluid the second time they checked it out. I didn't know we needed to do a 3x3 so I am sure they just did a drain and fill one time. My tranny shifts kinda rough but the dealer said it was normal for Type-S's. I just ticked over 60k. I think I am going to do a 3x3 with redline atf.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the transmission fluid on these cars. Also, inspect the mounts as well. I just bought mine last Friday an 06 TL CPO with 61620 miles. My fluid looks ok enough to last me at least till next oil change or maybe till 75k. I have noticed a slight feel in engagement from park to reverse but from reverse to drive it is a smooth engagement. Like I said take it in maybe do 1 or 2 drain and fill drive the car till next oil change do another drain and fill and also consider replacing the tranny filter
Old 08-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Team Owner

Again, mounts.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:40 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Again, mounts.
Take it back to the dealer, and ask them to replace the motor mounts.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Intermediate

Again, mounts.
I hear ya. I'll ask them. I didn't realize they could go out so early.

Coming from BMW's, their powertrains are stupid stout. If they could just get their window regulators right on some of their cars.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:22 AM
Team Owner

They will last a long time during normal driving but all it takes is some severe wheel hop to break them.

There's a vacuum line going to the front mount that you can check. If it comes off or leaks the mount will be excessively firm at idle.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
if the car is cpo, why dont you just take it back to the dealer and have them fix stuff under the warranty that you get?
Old 08-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Intermediate

Tranny Update

Took the car in this morning for the transmission problem I was having (rough shifts and car shaking when going from R to D). When I pick up the car, they said the tech couldn't find anything wrong. After I requested to drive with a tech, oh gee whiz, does it consistently, half a dozen times. This tech didn't work on my car and said there is a TSB out regarding this issue.
Not trying to dog the dealership, but kinda annoying I had to hold their hand for an obvious and easy to replicate problem.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:24 PM
10th Gear

I do not know if you have a manual or not, but I do. I had complained form day one about the third gear problem (look it up, it is well known and the subject of a TSB), but I always received a "could not re-create" from the dealership. My clutch went at 13,000 miles, and, though I was given the wear and tear issue at first, Acura covered it under warranty.

Now, at 70,800 miles, my car would not go into second gear. I called the dealer where I bought the car, and it said that the warranty is 4 year/50,000 mile. Thankfully for this website, I came here to commiserate. I read about those who had transmission problems at 70,000 and the 6 year/70,000 miles warranty they had to negotiate. You fine people also recommended a request for loyalty consideration to cover parts. To accomplish this, it was suggested I call the national Acura call center.

I did call the center. Lo and behold, Honda had been sued for providing faulty odometers. Honda settled, and, as part of the settlement, agreed to extend all warranties 3%. That means that the powertrain warranty would be 73,500 miles inetad of 70,000, a boon to me who suffered a transmission failure at 70,800 miles.

After learning of this, I called another local dealer who stated thqat it would look at the car. I went to the dealer, and it told me that I would have to pay $105 to have the car assessed. I was further told that, if the problem were covered under warranty, the $105 would be waived. Fair enough, I thought, and I gave it the car to be checked.

The dealership later told me that the 3% extension of warranty applied only to the bumper to bumper wanrranty of 4 year/50,000 miles. I stated that the 3% extension should apply regardless since it had to do with odometer problems, and not parts problems. The representative said he would check it out.

The dealership came back to tell me that it was a transmission problem. It said that my second and third gear sets were toast. Indeed, although I had never expressed a problem with it before, the reverse gear was fried as well. I said that this was interesteing since my numerous complaints about third gear had been ignored for years. The dealership also said that, while the mileage had been extended by 3%, the years of the warranty had not been extended. As such, the problem would not be covered by warranty.

I told the representative, that the warranty was SIX years and (now) 73,500, and he questioned my recollection. He stated that he would have to check on it. Within a few moments, he stated that I was correct, and the whole repair was under warranty. Upon further considerations, however, I must note that the car was still fewer than four years old, so the year requirement should have been irrelevant. I was, to say the least, very unhappy with the arguably weak service I had thus far received.

Since then, on the other hand, service has been great. I have received a loaner. I received a 2010 TL with Naivigation. The car is nice, but nowhere near as sporty as my car.

With that said, the dealership has since been responsive. After one week, the dealership called to say that it had received all the parts and that the gears all shifted like butter. All, that is, except for reverse - one of the few gears with which I had had no problem. It stated that the transmission needed to be torn apart again. I thoroughly respect the dealership for its candor and honesty.

It likely will be two weeks until I have my car back. The dealership, however, has been very professional in its handling of the situation. Other than the apparent problems with warranty coverage, for which I give loud and exuberant shout-out to this community, the dealership has been outstanding.

Sorry about the bloviating and self-indulgence, but good luck on your car. And, never let the dealership shout you down. If you feel there is a problem, there likely is a problem. Keep being aggressive, yet polite, about it.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
sounds like the car is automatic as he said shaking occurs when he goes from Reverse to Drive ... as for dealership I feel like they to the bare minimum to get by and dont really care about anyones car. to get anything done you have to do what you did, although i do agree it is annoying
Old 08-16-2010, 11:57 PM
7th Gear

nice, hopefully this doesnt occur with my tl, at 66,000 miles, its driving pretty smoothly now, great to hear there is a way to get it covered still
Old 08-17-2010, 05:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
find another dealer
Old 08-31-2010, 02:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jaybird124
Took the car in this morning for the transmission problem I was having (rough shifts and car shaking when going from R to D). When I pick up the car, they said the tech couldn't find anything wrong. After I requested to drive with a tech, oh gee whiz, does it consistently, half a dozen times. This tech didn't work on my car and said there is a TSB out regarding this issue.
Not trying to dog the dealership, but kinda annoying I had to hold their hand for an obvious and easy to replicate problem.
I took it back for the follow up appt today. They were supposed to look at the tranny after they witnessed it jerking with me driving.
Again, they couldn't find their way out of a cardboard box.
Called me up saying they couldn't find anything wrong with the car and if I was shifting from reverse to drive while the car is in motion, it would jerk. Ya think??
I really tried hard not to lose it. I once again explained this is happening at a full and complete stop. In addition, it's more apparent when you come to a complete stop vs shifting while in motion (AT BTW).
I hate to come across so ugly, but this is ridiculous. It's very repeatable at this point and it's like these people have sh*t for brains.
Don't mean to be a cloud in anyone's day, just had to vent.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:39 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's probably not the transmission if it does this when shifting from reverse to drive. I would start by looking at the mounts. You probably have a broken one. This would explain the harsh shifts too.
Usually I agree with just about everything you say, but what makes me suspicious here is that they apparently flushed the ATF before they sold the car. At 32k, that's very odd. Something was wrong with that car before they sold it, and they flushed the tranny either thinking it would fix the problem, or mask it long enough to sell it. You're probably right about the mounts, but if so, then the tranny flush indicates that it's been serviced by someone who doesn't know what they're doing, which then calls a bunch of other things into question.

I'd be nervous about this car because an 07 with such low mileage should not have broken a mount, and it should not have needed a flush. Something happened to it. I wouldn't want to buy it until I found out what.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:52 PM
Cruisin'

My recently purchased 07' CPO had 46.6k miles on it, the trans shifts decent, no clunking or shaking tho. The only thing I noticed was on slow downs approaching a stop, the downshifting seems a bit early or lightly abrupt into first? Almost like driving a manual where you downshift a hair too soon. And on upshifts the shift can feel like it's throwing you forward a bit? Don't know if it's normal or not, but the shifts are not the so smooth you can hardly tell type until maybe the 4th or 5th gear changes, then it's pretty smooth.

I'd definitely take it back if it were me tho and I felt something wasn't right or knew in my gut something wasn't right with the trans. You'll get a loaner while they fix it. I agree with the suggestion to take it back and test drive another one to see if it feels the same as well. Good luck
Old 08-31-2010, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by theshawn
My recently purchased 07' CPO had 46.6k miles on it, the trans shifts decent, no clunking or shaking tho. The only thing I noticed was on slow downs approaching a stop, the downshifting seems a bit early or lightly abrupt into first? Almost like driving a manual where you downshift a hair too soon. And on upshifts the shift can feel like it's throwing you forward a bit? Don't know if it's normal or not, but the shifts are not the so smooth you can hardly tell type until maybe the 4th or 5th gear changes, then it's pretty smooth.

I'd definitely take it back if it were me tho and I felt something wasn't right or knew in my gut something wasn't right with the trans. You'll get a loaner while they fix it. I agree with the suggestion to take it back and test drive another one to see if it feels the same as well. Good luck
The quick downshift into first that you are feeling is likely the grade logic feature of the car
Old 08-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by pohljm
The quick downshift into first that you are feeling is likely the grade logic feature of the car
Sweet, but what does that do exactly? I'm guessing it has something to do with helping the feel on acceleration so when you slow to a certain speed you don't press the gas and feel like you are in too high a gear?

Is there a newb thread to ask newbie question on the TL? There should be a sticky for that imo.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:38 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by theshawn
Sweet, but what does that do exactly? I'm guessing it has something to do with helping the feel on acceleration so when you slow to a certain speed you don't press the gas and feel like you are in too high a gear?

Is there a newb thread to ask newbie question on the TL? There should be a sticky for that imo.
Downshifting for engine braking.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Cruisin'

Ok, thx y'all, I googled it to get an idea as well, said something about going up and down hills but it does it on flat ground too so meh...as long as it's normal.

Quick Reply: Do I need to get my money back?