Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do 04-08 TL Type S Six speeds have LSD

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Do 04-08 TL Type S Six speeds have LSD

I was curious if the tl's from 04-08 have an LSD in the six speed trannys or which ones do or don't and how to tell? Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 05:40 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Cruisin'

i thought i read somewhere that all 6spd's has lsd
Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by s.gaspar
i thought i read somewhere that all 6spd's has lsd
Yes, they do!
Old 02-11-2009, 04:58 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Yep.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
dont the type-s automatics have it too?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Hold on let's this straight, because the title and the first post contradict.

ALL 6SPD 04-08 TLs have LSD? Or just Type-S 6SPD?

I thought when buying the car that the 6spd have LSD. So far no one has confirmed that to me. I mean, it def pulls to one side when floored.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Mine didn't come with a copy of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds on the demo DVD.
I had to use my own copy of The Beatles Sgt. Peppers CD.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
All 04-06 6MT TL's have LSD.

All 07-08 TL-S w/ MT have LSD.

Hope that is clear enough.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Mine didn't come with a copy of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds on the demo DVD.
^^ hahaha, I was thinking the same thing LOL

Seriously though, isn't VSA basically a form of LSD? my 6 spd (non typeS) pulls to one side when I accelerate hard but if one wheel starts slipping VSA activates and slows down that wheel (I believe it actually applies the brakes). VSA works great in the snow or on ice but I am not aware that the TL has a true limited slip differential. Correct me if I'm wrong, please!
Old 02-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by djwoody

Seriously though, isn't VSA basically a form of LSD? my 6 spd (non typeS) pulls to one side when I accelerate hard but if one wheel starts slipping VSA activates and slows down that wheel (I believe it actually applies the brakes). VSA works great in the snow or on ice but I am not aware that the TL has a true limited slip differential. Correct me if I'm wrong, please!
I agree but if a mod says something I tend to believe them.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
lysergic acid diethylamide is no joke kids, and driving on it is very unsafe.

Name:  000simpson-1.gif
Views: 5074
Size:  482.4 KB

Name:  2493-car2.jpg
Views: 5217
Size:  10.6 KB
Old 02-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Instructor

According to the media these days, driving and texting is the most dangerous combination. LSD is not soooo bad in comparison!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Maharajamd
I mean, it def pulls to one side when floored.
It is a front-wheel drive car with a decent amount of power. It will always pull to one side when floored. Welcome to torque-steer my friend.

As for VSA? Not really a LSD, but more of a lets keep wheel spin under control. I turned off VSA in the snow the other day and both fronts spin easily. In my last car only one would spin and dig through the snow/ice....usually leaving me stuck at the foot of my driveway. My TL climbs right up.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jackass
As for VSA? Not really a LSD, but more of a lets keep wheel spin under control.
That's why I said "I am not aware that the TL has a true limited slip differential."

The VSA works very well under certain circumstances but when you really want both wheels to spin it's great to be able to temporarily turn it off.

What I was asking is why would a manufacturer have both VSA and LSD on a car? I thought the TL only has VSA.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Race Director

It is a front-wheel drive car with a decent amount of power. It will always pull to one side when floored. Welcome to torque-steer my friend.

As for VSA? Not really a LSD, but more of a lets keep wheel spin under control. I turned off VSA in the snow the other day and both fronts spin easily. In my last car only one would spin and dig through the snow/ice....usually leaving me stuck at the foot of my driveway. My TL climbs right up.
That's why I said "I am not aware that the TL has a true limited slip differential."

The VSA works very well under certain circumstances but when you really want both wheels to spin it's great to be able to temporarily turn it off.

What I was asking is why would a manufacturer have both VSA and LSD on a car? I thought the TL only has VSA.
^Exactly. VSA is in no way a "LSD". I understand FWD and torque steer. Thus I was saying "I drive a 6spd and I still get mad torque steer...so how can it have LSD?" Context my friend, context.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Safety Car

there are a ton of reasons they did it on the manual...the auto just doesnt have room for it..... the computer doesnt communicate with the gearbox the way it does to control the auto. in the auto if u smash the gas and ripa corner itll grap it in time to slow u down and control ur turn.....the manual actually has more potential of slipping out because the computer takes an extra sec to calulate...."slipping wheels or clutch slipping" then it has to adjust torque steer to some degree..... lots of factors not ebough space or time to type it. plus dont u like when a car spins both tires?? not just one?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

torque steer is on all fwd cars....cant avoid it.....prob the most annoying thing out of anything
Old 02-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Great confusing post. From what I've read, all 3G MTs have limited slip but in talking to an Acura mech on a previous thread, he said he didn't remember it having it when having to rebuild a tranny once before. See below.....

Not all Maximas had the HLSD in them it was a option on the 6MT... did you have cross drilled pedals ? If so it had it and yes you should change the fluid more often.

I have rebuilt 2 TL MT6s and from my recollection they don't have a LSD. Only the CL-S in 2003 came with a LSD.... and that was one notchy ass trans. I would recommend you stay away from the Acura MT fluid, I have been telling my boss we need to get away from it and we tried some Redline and most customers where thrilled with the way their cars shifted after the service. Not many wanted to pay for the extra $$$ stuff.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

You're wrong. The manual TL has a hypoid LSD which means it does not make use of wet disk clutch packs and therefore works a bit differently. VSA is separate and has nothing to do with the manual's LSD.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

My '04 manual TL exhibits little or not torque steer under hard acceleration provided my car is pointed straight and the road surface is clear. In fact, I can take my hands off of the steering wheel and it will track true under those conditions. However, if hitting it when turning or the road has some crowning or debris, then I will get torque steer.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Vroooom!!!

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
My '04 manual TL exhibits little or not torque steer under hard acceleration provided my car is pointed straight and the road surface is clear. In fact, I can take my hands off of the steering wheel and it will track true under those conditions. However, if hitting it when turning or the road has some crowning or debris, then I will get torque steer.

Same here. When reading up on the car before I got it, most car writers make it seem like the steering wheel will jerk out of my hands when I floor it. I've never had that happen. Torque steer (or perceived torque steer) is relative since what is ok to some might be massive to others. Will you feel a slight tug at the wheel at sudden full throttle? Probably. Will the steering wheel throw your hands off and the car will start driving on its own like Knight Ridder? Probably not.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Race Director

It's not extreme, but it's not what a car with LSD should be doing imo. The prelude with a quiafe was nothing like this car is.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Safety Car

whats the diff between Helical LSD and Hypoid LSD? the service manual states helical
Old 02-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Safety Car

http://www.trdparts.jp/english/parts_lsd_helical.html

it looks pretty much like the lsd thats in the MT TL
Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Whats LSD?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Safety Car

Limited Slip Differential
Old 02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RC51Ryder
Same here. When reading up on the car before I got it, most car writers make it seem like the steering wheel will jerk out of my hands when I floor it. I've never had that happen. Torque steer (or perceived torque steer) is relative since what is ok to some might be massive to others. Will you feel a slight tug at the wheel at sudden full throttle? Probably. Will the steering wheel throw your hands off and the car will start driving on its own like Knight Ridder? Probably not.
All I can tell you is that I experienced significant torque steer the first time I test drove a 6mt TL. I punched the gas at a light and was in the right lane with a bus in the lane to my left. The car pulled so hard to the left that I don't know how I managed to avoid sideswiping the bus. I think the sales guy who was sitting next to me saw his life flash by for a moment! Later that evening I was reading some reviews online (because I had such a thrill driving the car and wanted to know more about it) and came across the mention of torque steer -that was the first time I heard it mentioned in reference to the TL. I have had previous cars with LSD and there is definitely a big difference between how those cars handled and my TL. I know that the VSA is not a LSD but was under the impression that Acura put it on these cars to help provide some control (stability) under these conditions. If there is a separate LSD system, then how come both wheels will spin at equal speed if you turn the VSA off???
Old 02-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Vroooom!!!

If there is a separate LSD system, then how come both wheels will spin at equal speed if you turn the VSA off???
I think you are confusing traction control with limited slip. Traction control will control wheel spin like you described and VSA on the 3G will do that to an extent. Limited slip is there to ensure equal engine power is being provided to both drive wheels. Both wheels spinning at equal speed is exactly what you want especially if one wheel looses traction under normal driving conditions. With a drivetrain without LSD, the wheel with the less resistance receives the most power from the engine. Most cases, this is not an issue but say if one wheel is stuck in snow or ice and the other drive wheel is on solid pavement, then you have a problem. The only thing is that limited slip is somewhat harder to engineer since you have to factor in turning radius and powering both drive wheels equally even though one wheel is spinning faster than the other in a turn.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
whats the diff between Helical LSD and Hypoid LSD? the service manual states helical
Oops. I do believe you got me there and I think I am wrong and you are right on this. Thanks and good catch.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Instructor

I think you are confusing traction control with limited slip. Traction control will control wheel spin like you described and VSA on the 3G will do that to an extent. Limited slip is there to ensure equal engine power is being provided to both drive wheels. Both wheels spinning at equal speed is exactly what you want especially if one wheel looses traction under normal driving conditions. With a drivetrain without LSD, the wheel with the less resistance receives the most power from the engine. Most cases, this is not an issue but say if one wheel is stuck in snow or ice and the other drive wheel is on solid pavement, then you have a problem. The only thing is that limited slip is somewhat harder to engineer since you have to factor in turning radius and powering both drive wheels equally even though one wheel is spinning faster than the other in a turn.
Yes, you are 100% correct. I am confusing LSD with traction control. I always thought that a limited slip differential is the technical term for the system that provides traction control. It transfers power from the slipping wheel to the opposite side - to give you more traction if a wheel starts spinning in snow or on ice.

If there is a difference between LSD and traction control, please can someone explain it because I'd like to understand it better.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Great confusing post. From what I've read, all 3G MTs have limited slip but in talking to an Acura mech on a previous thread, he said he didn't remember it having it when having to rebuild a tranny once before.
I don't feel like scanning it right now but LSD is listed about the 4th item down in the standard equipment section of the MSRP window sticker on the 6MT cars.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Race Director

Acura's best-selling car is redesigned for 2004 with new styling, more power, and more standard safety features. The TL is based on the platform of the Accord sedan from parent-company Honda, but is more luxurious and more expensive. The '04 TL has virtually the same wheelbase as its 1999-2003 predecessor, but overall length is shorter by 6.3 inches. Interior dimensions change little. The sole engine is a 3.2-liter V6 with 270 hp. A 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift gate returns. Replacing the sporty Type-S model is a 6-speed manual-transmission TL version with a firmer suspension than automatic-transmission models, plus Brembo-brand front brakes and a limited-slip differential. Manual versions are available with high-performance tires vs. the standard all-season treads. All TLs come with ABS, 17-inch wheels, and an antiskid system. Front side airbags are standard and are joined for '04 by head-protecting curtain side airbags. Leather upholstery with heated front seats, aluminum interior trim, and a sunroof are standard. So is satellite radio and a new audio system with an in-dash changer that plays CDs and DVD-Audio discs. Other new features include Acura's HandsFreeLink, which employs the audio system as a hands-free, wireless link to cell phones. A navigation system with voice command is optional. OnStar assistance is no longer available.
Consumer Auto Guide...
Old 02-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
2004-2008 TL W/ Manual transmissions have a LSD.

the 2004-2005 TL benefit the most from this since the LSD can get full power. ALL TL's 2006-2008 have a Torque Limiting system in the ECU's programming to limit torque in the first two gears so torque steer won't be as present as on the 2004-2005 TL.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes, you are 100% correct. I am confusing LSD with traction control. I always thought that a limited slip differential is the technical term for the system that provides traction control. It transfers power from the slipping wheel to the opposite side - to give you more traction if a wheel starts spinning in snow or on ice.

If there is a difference between LSD and traction control, please can someone explain it because I'd like to understand it better.
to try to answer your question between the differences in LSD and traction control, the main difference between the two is that LSD has both wheels spinning at relatively same speeds. While traction control prevents slippage and lost of traction. Different systems.

When VSA is activated, the computer automatically feathers the throttle to regain traction, also, if one wheel spins faster that the other, it will activate and compensate.

I am no professional, this is to the best of my knowledge and experience with LSDs.

Not to make things more confusing, but there are about 3-4 types of LSDs. Helical, Mechanical, Clutch-type, and i think one other. (correct me if im wrong) Most cars, have Open-Diffs where one wheel is spinning 90% of the time, the other 10% is on turns.

For the guys that know for sure, correct me. hope this clears up somethings.

-Del
Old 02-11-2009, 10:08 PM
DuDeChEwY

Originally Posted by blkaspec
lysergic acid diethylamide is no joke kids, and driving on it is very unsafe.

haha....gotta love homer
Old 02-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Safety Car

the traction control in our cars shuts down the motor rev almost instantly. kinda lets the car regain its control by slowing it down....it doesnt seem to be sending power from one wheel to the next
Old 02-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
the traction control in our cars shuts down the motor rev almost instantly. kinda lets the car regain its control by slowing it down....it doesnt seem to be sending power from one wheel to the next
Traction control is another item besides limited slip and VSA. The 3G manual TL makes use of five distinct traction/braking systems: LSD, VSA, traction control, ABS, and EBS (I believe that is the acronym). Pretty good stuff.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Safety Car

ahhh i see