Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY-Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:14 AM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DIY-Wiper Blades

I'm sorry if this has been done dozens of times and people know how to do it with their hands tied to their backs, but I thought it could help some people who aren't mechanically gifted and would rather not pay dealerships their prices.

By the way, I went and bought an Icon blade and it was 22 dollars... then I looked up TIM and it was 12 dollars SHIPPED for 2 inserts(driver and passenger)!!
Im gonna return the 22 dollar blade(one blade only) and save 10$.

First thing you want to do is lift up the blades from the windshield.

This is what you have to press to unlock the wipers. Press and push down(or towards the windshield)

What it should look like.

When you have it out, it's nice to check wear on it... sometimes you don't need to change your blades. In this case, It was about to fall off the rubber!!

Look at this end. It should be the end towards the motor. When you take it out.

The blade is stuck by having the metal fit into this indent.(Middle of picture where the shadow is showing)

Just pull real hard AWAY from the indent. The obvious way is to pull the wider side outward.

When you have it completely out...You want to take these metal pieces out. One on each side. You need to keep this for your new set of blade. They are to stabilize the blades I believe.... otherwise they will be FLIMSY!

Now, insert the new blade from the small side inward. It should go away from the windshield.(Insert it so that the blade goes in from the bottom as if you still had the wiper locked.

Put it back in... push it in, then pull the wiper straight up until you feel a click.

I hope this helped atleast one person... then the DIY would be meaningful.

See ya around!
Old 05-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
wiper blades have to be replaced often, atleast twice a year...so there is no real need to spend alot of money on wiper blades when the good old amco blades at autozone or walmart will work just fine...directions are in the package and mostly self expanitory....
Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a cheap bastard and buy the inserts rather than the blades. Looking to order a few for my new TL. Anyone know what size Amco inserts fit?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 AM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Blades = inserts? -_- That's what I ordered from TIM(HondaAcuraWorld.com)
12 dollars shipped...something like that.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inserts are just the rubber without the full blade. You can usually get two inserts for less than the price of one blade. I've noticed that local places don't even carry inserts anymore.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the TL has different size blade left and right- based on my gen2
The effectiveness of the ICON blades will blow you away compared to stock or any cheap aftermarket brand.
Rainx blades are very good too
The purpose and point of replacing the entire wiper blade/arm is the spring tension in the units- the metal thing you have to swap over-and the visable ones exteranly, those keep the blade pressure flat and even, for much better wiping action.
That spring action wears out and the blade effectiveness is greatly reduced.
Until you try the good ones you cannot say how they work, but look up threads on the subject, and the Icons are hands down- the winners.
As their ad says: Only Grandma hugs tighter!
Look at the Icons and notice ALL the external springs and stuff are gone- all the technology is housed INSIDE the blade, and even the attachment to the operating arm has an ice/snow shield so it cant get frozen stuck in one place.
Very aerodynamic- less windshield buffet noise, and possibly a tick better gas mileage with smoother airflow up the window and across the roof
IMO!!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Team Owner

note- that makes the DIY for them- turn key on- turn wipers on- when at vertical- turn key OFF
Now you can lift the entire assembly and work on it without damage to the hoods paint
Warning- this is based on my gen2 - check your owner book for certain
Old 05-06-2008, 09:35 AM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Haha, you and your gas savings... ANyways, the Icons look Hideous, and we don't use the wipers that often. only when its raining, because we never wipe dirt since I wash our cars so often. When it's raining, I barely wipe... I don't even use the automatic wipes since it's so badly timed. I manually wipe everytime I feel the need to, and it takes a half a second to pull the lever up.

As for tension, on the 3gen, the actual metal blade has force.. It's not only the two silver pieces I showed, but the black blade itself!!!

The engineering is definately brilliant. If you take a close look at the blades, it is engineered to fit perfectly to the windshield. The inserts really don't do much. They are real flimsy!!

There aren't any springs a far as I'm concerned... they use leverage to produce force towards the windshield. If one side goes down, other goes up. so with the rounded windshield, one part will hug the near-flat center, while the other fits firmly along the curve.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Team Owner

as far as your concerned- the springs.....
you are always good for a laugh!