3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: The Big 3+1 (plus battery cable upgrade)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 07:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,665 Likes on 6,686 Posts
Originally Posted by TeslaMax
Would a variation of this upgrade help for starting in cold-weather climates?

(I live in Minnesota.)

I have problems with a dead battery in the winter.
  • I drive my car only 2 or 3 times/week.
  • My trip to work is less than 5 minutes. (The battery doesn’t have a chance to get recharged)
  • I live in an apartment without a garage, the car is outside in a parking lot.
Note: I had the HFL drain issue but I did disconnect that with a marked improvement, but the problem remains.

I’m considering an:
  • Aftermarket positive battery terminal for the following: (I have to use them often in the winter)
    • Quick-connect for two accessories
      • my Li-ion boost jump starter (NOCO Boost Plus GB40)
      • battery charger (also a NOCO model)
  • Remote starter
P.S. Any recommendations would be great. (Remote start system on my ‘05 TL or otherwise)
a new battery and a battery tender would be the best option for your, upgrading grounds won’t do anything
The following users liked this post:
TeslaMax (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 10:25 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
a new battery and a battery tender would be the best option for your, upgrading grounds won’t do anything
I had my then-new battery load-checked twice last year and it passed with flying colors. (As noted on my Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/AcuraTL/s/AzhzeqFnNA)

I did purchase a NOCO Genius2D.

Amazon Amazon

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by TeslaMax; 01-19-2024 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,665 Likes on 6,686 Posts
Originally Posted by TeslaMax
I had my then-new battery load-checked twice last year and it passed with flying colors. (As noted on my Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/AcuraTL/s/AzhzeqFnNA)

I did purchase a NOCO Genius2D.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS2D.../dp/B07W3QSMF9

Thanks for your advice!
keeping it plugged in overnight Will solve all of your problems
TeslaMax (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 12:07 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Based on your post of 5min commutes I'd reckon you're battery has already frozen once over if not twice. A new battery is definitely in order.
Just keep in mind the tender can only really trickle charge the battery, it doesn't keep the battery warm. The colder the battery is, the less amps you're going to have starting. I also see that for the NOCO Genuis 2D it only operates down to -4F at which point it'll likely shut off as a safety mechanism. (https://no.co/genius2d)

The charger I personally installed on my dads car (Who only drives maybe once a week and parks outdoors) is the CTEK MXS 5.0 POLAR.
It's pricier but operates down to -22F. No issues for the past 3 years, even down to -30F.

What has worked very well for me was installing a much cheaper and more reliable battery warmer. Get an 80W or higher. I just leave that thing plugged in all night along with the block heater (Which I assume you also keep plugged in).
Like you I currently only drive about 2-3 times a week. It's had no issue cranking, even after not driving it for 3 days and starting it in literal -38C/F°
TeslaMax (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 12:18 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joe.abp
Based on your post of 5min commutes I'd reckon you're battery has already frozen once over if not twice. A new battery is definitely in order.
Just keep in mind the tender can only really trickle charge the battery, it doesn't keep the battery warm. The colder the battery is, the less amps you're going to have starting. I also see that for the NOCO Genuis 2D it only operates down to -4F at which point it'll likely shut off as a safety mechanism. (https://no.co/genius2d)

The charger I personally installed on my dads car (Who only drives maybe once a week and parks outdoors) is the CTEK MXS 5.0 POLAR.
It's pricier but operates down to -22F. No issues for the past 3 years, even down to -30F.

What has worked very well for me was installing a much cheaper and more reliable battery warmer. Get an 80W or higher. I just leave that thing plugged in all night along with the block heater (Which I assume you also keep plugged in).
Like you I currently only drive about 2-3 times a week. It's had no issue cranking, even after not driving it for 3 days and starting it in literal -38C/F°
Thanks for the advice… and apologies to the mods for the tangent from the original topic.
More things to look into:
  • I remember my father having a battery heater on the family car in the ‘80s.
  • To my knowledge my 2005 TL doesn’t have an engine block heater.
Old 01-19-2024, 01:30 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Battery heater is a very simple,cheap reliable option. Warmer battery = higher cranking amps

I mentioned the block heater as the one thing engines really hate is very short trips in cold weather where the engine doesn't hit its operating temp.
There's plenty of reputable mechanics on youtube that warn about the dangers of this.
If you can't force a longer commute I'd advise shorter oil change intervals.

Up north here it's cold enough that the government mandates that all vehicles be sold with a block heater, I guess in the states they're a dealer option.
I primarily use mine to reduce engine start wear but more importantly heat up the inside of the car faster.
Even parked overnight in -35°F/°C, a few seconds after starting the coolant temp(air blower temp) is already above 1°C/+34°F.
You should be able to find a used one on like ebay. I believe they're universal for all Honda V6's.
TeslaMax (01-19-2024)