Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DiscWelder CD to DVD

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DiscWelder CD to DVD

I know i'm partially crazy but I figured I would elicit some opinions from anyone else with DiscWelder and some burned dvd-a's

I finally got my copy last week and copied all of my BT cd's to one DVD-A. Popped it in the TL, and was happy. Then the more I started to listen to it I was thinking how clear and vibrant it was. And I thought, could the ELS have a different processor or different EQ setup for DVD versus CD versus XM ?? I know it couldn't the source cuz all I did was rip directly off the CD and burn back to DVD, so I know it's still 44khz and 16bit.

But dayumn it sounds nice. And so nice to have all the cd's on one disk.

My only problem is it only works thru track 32, not all the way up to 67 so I gotta find out if it was the Memorex blank DVD-R or if something mucked up, the software said it burned successfully but it starts skipping on track32 then just stops and it can't access any of the rest of the tracks.

I guess my only test is going to be to put the CD in alongside this DVD-A and try back and forth.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't tried your trick yet, but better sound from the same source programme being decoded via DVDa software versus CD software probably results the difference you hear. The digital to analog converters for DVDa are far superior to those of red book CDs. You can even take the same CD and listen on a very high end system (Wadia, Meridian, B&W, Kimber Kable, etc.), making it sound fantastic - then put it into a catalog-bought hi-fi rig (Sony, Panasonic) and hurt your ears.

Please post results when comparing the same source programme from a CD and from a DVDa disc. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 340HP
I haven't tried your trick yet, but better sound from the same source programme being decoded via DVDa software versus CD software probably results the difference you hear. The digital to analog converters for DVDa are far superior to those of red book CDs. You can even take the same CD and listen on a very high end system (Wadia, Meridian, B&W, Kimber Kable, etc.), making it sound fantastic - then put it into a catalog-bought hi-fi rig (Sony, Panasonic) and hurt your ears.

Please post results when comparing the same source programme from a CD and from a DVDa disc. Thanks.
But I can't beleive the ELS woudl be using different Codecs for DVD-A vs. CD. My guess is the Codecs are the same so if you put the original CD in the ELS it should sound the same as the version you made on the DVD-A. No some higher end systems will doubel up the codecs when decoding 2 channel sound ona 5.1 system since the extra codecs would sit idle otherwise. I am no expert, but in that config they do some type of differential comparison so multiple codecs per channle is better, but I while the ELS is a higher end Auto sound system the multiple Codecs per channle is usually found in higher end systems.