Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling "auto a/c" feature

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disabling "auto a/c" feature

Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the a/c from coming on automatically every time you turn the fan on? I did a search, but could find anything on the topic. I know on my old RSX, it used to have the same feature, but I disabled it (by following some forum directions).

Thanks!

B
Old 02-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Pro

I don't think that you can turn off the auto a/c. I know that you can turn off just the a/c and the auto but I am not sure what happens when the car says no a/c. When it says no a/c or something like that above the temp is it in auto without a/c? Good question.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Nope you cant have it set to be off automatically. This has been overdiscussed.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:51 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know it's your car... but why?

If you're wanting to do it for horsepower or mileage reasons its completely not worth it at all

You can hit the a/c button, which will turn it on or off, also disabling auto climate control. The next time you hit auto, it's back on as needed, and i'm 99% sure it's on when you turn on the defroster.. there's not just a simple switch to turn off - it's controlled by programming in the vehicle. You could always pull out the compressor though, that would turn it off for good.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Spree
Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the a/c from coming on automatically every time you turn the fan on?
My TL is set for 68*F, A/C off-- I just push the "Auto" button, then the "A/C" button (which shuts off the A/C).
The A/C will then never turn on, even after restarts, unless you push "Auto," A/C (to turn it on) or the front defroster.
I never bother with the fan speeds-- if it's too warm, I lower the windows or push "Auto" to let the A/C adjust the temp.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Registered but harmless

Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the a/c from coming on automatically every time you turn the fan on?
My TL is set for 68*F, A/C off-- I just push the "Auto" button, then the "A/C" button (which shuts off the A/C).
The A/C will then never turn on, even after restarts, unless you push "Auto," A/C (to turn it on) or the front defroster.
I never bother with the fan speeds-- if it's too warm, I lower the windows or push "Auto" to let the A/C adjust the temp.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the a/c from coming on automatically every time you turn the fan on? I did a search, but could find anything on the topic. I know on my old RSX, it used to have the same feature, but I disabled it (by following some forum directions).

Thanks!

B
Of course you can.

In fact most of the time, this is exactly how I have my HVAC set. In the summer time when I do use my A/C, I just press the AUTO button and set my interior temperature to the desired setting. Otherwise, I use the manual mode with the A/C off and just direct the vents and fan speed accordingly.

As for the defroster, most of the time I do not let the defroster run with the A/C one. I only do this on warm and humid days. When I want to use the defroster without the A/C, I just say, "climate control floor and defrost" and I get air directed to the floor and windshield without A/C.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by used fleshlight
I know it's your car... but why?
I'm literally that lazy! Seriously, I hate having to turn it off everytime I want the fan to come on. I mean I think it should be like 99% of the cars out there that don't have A/C as the default. It bugs the crap out of me. And no, I'm really not concerned with performance or mileage issues. It's not like I'm racing anyone.

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Cool, thanks man, I'll try that.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you press auto on the climate control and then press the a/c button, the compressor will not run. The system still does every other function automatic. ie fan speed, air flow, ect. If you just use the temp settings the car will still automatically maintain that temp(unless it is too hot for it to do so with out the compressor.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

As I wrote in post #6 and will add, the only time my A/C comes on is when I direct it to do so. All other times, it is off. My car and my HVAC does not default to the AUTO setting nor does it default to operating the A/C. To do so requires my direction which is exactly what I want.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
As I wrote in post #6 and will add, the only time my A/C comes on is when I direct it to do so. All other times, it is off. My car and my HVAC does not default to the AUTO setting nor does it default to operating the A/C. To do so requires my direction which is exactly what I want.
Exactly!
I don't know what those guys are thinkin' (or drinkin').
I personally never use the "auto" feature unless it's real humid and cool at the same time. Then it's great for selecting the proper defrost by cycling the compressor when needed.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
Exactly!
I personally never use the "auto" feature unless it's real humid and cool at the same time. Then it's great for selecting the proper defrost by cycling the compressor when needed.
I use my AUTO setting in the really warm months when I want to use my A/C (really, I don't use my A/C all that much because I love the warm weather). The reason I use my AUTO setting for A/C is because I did a few little informal tests a few years ago while on vacation and found that the car's interior cooled better and maintained a more comfortable temperature when using AUTO. Also, once the proper temperature was reached, the compressor was very nicely cycled. In other words, the AUTO setting, for me, is the preferred setting to use when I want A/C.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
Exactly!
That's weird. Mine is set to come on every time I turn the vent on. So I have to turn it off each time (the A/C). Then, if I turn the HVAC off and then on again, the A/C comes on again.

What year is your car? Maybe they changed it for '08?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Registered but harmless

That's weird. Mine is set to come on every time I turn the vent on. So I have to turn it off each time (the A/C). Then, if I turn the HVAC off and then on again, the A/C comes on again.

What year is your car? Maybe they changed it for '08?
Try not touching the vent/fan buttons- just set the temp to XX*F and push the A/C button so that "A/C Off" shows in the display.

When you start up the car the next time, the fan may go on if it's warm enough in the cabin, but the A/C compressor will NOT activate.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks Will. It's weird because when you hit the vent buttons, the display doesn't read "A/C on", but it also doesn't read "A/C off". It makes me think that the A/C is on when there is no indication of either in the display, because I can feel the compressor kicking in I think. Anyway, thanks for the tip. I tried it last night, but I think I screwed it up because I was going off of memory. I'll try it later tonight again.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Pro

Thanks Will. It's weird because when you hit the vent buttons, the display doesn't read "A/C on", but it also doesn't read "A/C off". It makes me think that the A/C is on when there is no indication of either in the display, because I can feel the compressor kicking in I think. Anyway, thanks for the tip. I tried it last night, but I think I screwed it up because I was going off of memory. I'll try it later tonight again.
Your car didn't say "a/c off" when you pushed the a/c button? That is weird. When you push the a/c button the word auto goes away and is replaced by "a/c off."
Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I rarely use anyting other than auto

99% of the time it's on auto 73 degrees, because i dont have to fuck with the temperature anymore.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

99% of the time it's on auto 73 degrees, because i dont have to fuck with the temperature anymore.

Ditto that
Old 02-08-2008, 12:06 PM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by fish008
Your car didn't say "a/c off" when you pushed the a/c button? That is weird. When you push the a/c button the word auto goes away and is replaced by "a/c off."
He said, "vent buttons". He might need to clarify just what it is that he is actually doing.