Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ding Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ding Dilemma

Well, it was nice while it lasted... Now, thanks to a parking lot incident, my trunk lid has a dent w/crease, and my car is no longer perfect.

From the 2 estimates I got, it is going to cost around $100-$175 for the paintless 80% solution, and $450-$630 for 100% solution that involves pulling out the dent, painting, and replacing the logos.

Btw. The higher price is the Dealer Autobody Shop, and the lower price is from a "seemingly" reputable local body shop. The non-dealership autobody shop claims they use good quality "German" paint, and that they guarantee their work, and normally do work for Dealerships that do not have their own body shop.

Any advice appreciated...

http://community.webshots.com/script...ecurity=pvwzDm
Old 07-06-2004, 11:44 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Need a picture to advise. Cannot see your link. Paintless may be a best bet if there is no paint damage.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
FLurries Tamale

Originally Posted by cybermatrix
Btw. The higher price is the Dealer Autobody Shop, and the lower price is from a "seemingly" reputable local body shop. The non-dealership autobody shop claims they use good quality "German" paint, and that they guarantee their work, and normally do work for Dealerships that do not have their own body shop.

Any advice appreciated...
As for me, I would turn and walk out the door upon the mention of "German" paint.

What the Hell relevence does that have to anything except for BS value?

Our paints are metallic or pearl. For a good match, I would go to the OEM supplier.

That's just me. I don't mind a little snow but I hate snow jobs.

XP
Old 07-07-2004, 08:13 AM
Intermediate

Sorry maybe this photo link will work...
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60358669pvwzDm
Old 07-07-2004, 09:34 AM
What's a TL?

Based on the location and severity, I would go paintless. As it is, the dent is hard to see (in photos at least). I would ask the body shop that is doing the paintless thing to allow you to put the amount they are charging toward the complete pulling and painting process at their shop if the paintless removal does not work to your satisfaction.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Intermediate

Hey check out these guys, as they are experts in paintless:

www.dentwizard.com

www.dentdoctorny.com

I have an appt with dentwizard on Sat for my car.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Instructor

I would go with paintless fix myself. I would rather have 80% fix with factory paint. Especially with metallic paints, it's really hard to get the perfect match.

I went to Dent Wizard before for my old car. Had a dent right rear quarter panel where it met the bumper. They told me fix won't be 100%, since it was so close to the edge. When they were done, I was amazed by the result. Even they were amazed that it came out so well.

Put it this way, if you don't like the paintless method, you can always go back to the body shop to get it fixed and repainted, but once you repaint and don't like it, there is no going back...
Old 07-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stay away from the dealer for now, see if you can get the paintless dent removal, and if that doesn't work you could always get a refund, then head on over to the dealer for their german painting skills
Old 07-08-2004, 11:46 PM
Advanced

Sorry maybe this photo link will work...
Old 07-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Intermediate

Put it this way, if you don't like the paintless method, you can always go back to the body shop to get it fixed and repainted, but once you repaint and don't like it, there is no going back...
Good point, and as VTEC=HAPINESS stated, maybe they can put the cost of the paintless method toward a more complete fix if needed. Although one reason they may not is the dealer's body shop supposedly uses a 3rd party for the paintless method, so they may not give me any credit (or refund for that matter) if ithe outcome was insufficient.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

dtchung,

I dont have a "Dent Wizard" near me, but is paintless dent removal generally a "same-day" proposition? Also, do you know what they use (in terms of tools/process) to "massage-out" the dent/s? I guess it's of no concern if it works, but I'm just wondering if they could actually make a dent worse. ie applying too much force behind a dent, or possible pop off paint if for example the primer coat was not so great.

thanx
Old 07-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Instructor

I'm pretty sure they're all pretty much the same. I don't think you have to worry about your paint coming off too much. By looking at your picture, it doesn't seem like you have a sharp crease on the paint. I'm not an expert on what tools they use, but I think they were using a drummel tool. They told me that typically they would massage the panel from behind.

Like I said, my past experience has been a positive one. A dent that I had before had a sharp crease, and they told me that there might be some paint fatigue after they're done. However, when it was done, I was really impressed with the result. I'm very meticulous when it comes to stuff like this. It wasn't 100%, but I would rate at 90% and they promised me 80%. Also, I didn't noticed any paint fatigue. I think quality of Acura used to be much better. I had the '93 Legend Coupe. Anyway, I would much rather do this than to repaint... Good luck and let us know how things come out.

dtchung,

I dont have a "Dent Wizard" near me, but is paintless dent removal generally a "same-day" proposition? Also, do you know what they use (in terms of tools/process) to "massage-out" the dent/s? I guess it's of no concern if it works, but I'm just wondering if they could actually make a dent worse. ie applying too much force behind a dent, or possible pop off paint if for example the primer coat was not so great.

thanx
Old 07-09-2004, 01:39 PM
User name now jdb8805

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with paintless. It will never be the same (in your eyes) if they paint it. At worst it will look like a door ding and be only noticeable to you after paintless.

I know a pretty good body man and even he said never paint a car unless you absolutely have to.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Team Anthracite Member

How the heck did they do this? An odd place. No bumper damage?
Old 07-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
dtchung,

thanx
I'm not sure exactly how they do it, but I've been using paintless dent removal (specifically, Dent Wizard) on my cars for over 10 years. An average door ding is a 30-minute proposition. I once had a large dent in the aluminum roof of my SC430 and they even got that out. Took about 1 1/2 hours. I've been totally satisfied.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Like Magic!

I had a dent guy do my whole 1990 Nissan. !4 years worth of door dings. The dealer owed my for one and they paid him directly. He charged me an extra $20 to get all the rest (about 3). I watched him do it. They put a wedgy in the window and slip long, hardened steel rods with curved/flat ends (sort of spoon-like). When they get to the dent, they just go back and forth with that rod and iron it right out. It was like magic. When he was done, you could absolutely not tell they were ever there.
Best twenty bucks I ever spent. I don't know your guy, but I highly recommend the process. And, believe me, I'm a picky s.o.b..

XP