Sponsored by:

A different Jack question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 06:38 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A different Jack question

Hey guys - Happy new Year!
Santa got me 4 Jack stands for Christmas (ok, ok, I bought them and my wife made me put them under the tree...I know...I KNOW!)

Through this forum we discussed the jack locations at front and rear of car - someone even posted a diagram that shows where to place jack stands - put the picture does not give enough detail. I know behind front wheel and in front of back wheel. BUT, when you stick your head under there - here is what I see - I see a cut-out in the plastic (rocker panel?) in both of the above mentioned places. I also see in this same spot a piece of steel - kinda thin, that is perpendicular to the ground. Does the jack stand fit under this or will it bend under the weight of the car?
Then further in I see the actual frame of the car (aluminum colored - runs length of car) - seems kinda far in to place a jack stand tho.

Sorry, lame question to the Masters out there, but before I pop my jack stand cherry, I want to make sure I know where it goes - I do not want to F-up my car or my melon for that matter.

Anyone have a pic or detailed location to place the stands - I have never used them before. (obviously)

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
The four vertical metal pieces are the correct place to put your jack stands. They are also intended to be used when using the jack that comes with the car. They will not bend under normal use, but it is not a good idea to use a floor jack under these and raise the car too high, which will place them at an angle on the jack and then they might (maybe not but good to be careful) bend.

When using a floor jack, you should use the jack points at the front and rear of the car.

Picture is from this thread.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Ron - that will fit nicely into the jack stand - it is kinda cupped/V-shaped at the top. Appreciate the response as always. Figured I'd make sure before I wrote in oneday with some ugly pics and an Ooops.

Measure twice - Cut once.

Thanks!