Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided to wait on the '06

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decided to wait on the '06

I think I will get an '06 TL and trade my '05 Cadillac CTS. The reason for the wait is that I am hoping the Navigation system will be upgraded to the same system the RL has (and like my Honda Odyssey Touring has). I like the voice prompt system. Alos, I suspect there will be a mild facelift....we will see. The one thing I hope they DELETE is the cassette tape player Why in the world does Acura put that age old technology in such a modern car? They might as well put an 8 Track player in there too

The local salesman at the Acura dealership says they expect the 2006 models in by late September. I can suffer through the Cadillac for five more months.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Instructor

I wouldn't get your hopes up about putting the RL Navigation system in the TL. There is no reason for them to do so. The TL is selling very well, and they need to set the RL apart from the TL somehow. Good luck with your trade, hope you don't lose too much.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Good choice.

What's the "voice prompt system" you have on your Odyssey?
Old 04-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rets
Good choice.

What's the "voice prompt system" you have on your Odyssey?
It allows you to input the address via voice (or touchscreen). As a matter of fact, you can do pretty much anything via voice that you can do on the touchscreen.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Brother Sum

The reason you'll still see tape players in most mid level to high level sedans is because of the target market. A lot of car companies feel that the people that can afford these cars are older people, and said people still have legacy material never released on CD or digital formats. Even back as far as 1997, Honda stopped putting tape players in their sport coupes, like the Prelude and the Integra, it was just a single cd player the tape player was optional and never factory installed. BMW and Mercedes follow the same practices. I agree with you, if it were up to me, I'd have it 86'd, I haven't even SEEN a cassette tape in a decade. ha! As far as a facelift it's highly unlikely, I can't think historically of an instance where Honda/Acura revamp-retool and revise on a model this new. I could be wrong though.

-JTOW
Old 04-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Moosh
I wouldn't get your hopes up about putting the RL Navigation system in the TL. There is no reason for them to do so. The TL is selling very well, and they need to set the RL apart from the TL somehow. Good luck with your trade, hope you don't lose too much.
I suspect I will loose 1/3 of the value when I trade it
Old 04-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jrcase
It allows you to input the address via voice (or touchscreen). As a matter of fact, you can do pretty much anything via voice that you can do on the touchscreen.
I see. If you're talking about this IBM voice recognition system with 600+ voice commands, '06 "might" have. As for the real-time traffic system,
Old 04-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Don't think real time traffic will be an option. They want to bring up the sales for th RL.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

I would also like to see OnStar added. I enjoy the safe feeling when my wife drives the Cadillac because it has OnStar.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rets
I see. If you're talking about this IBM voice recognition system with 600+ voice commands, '06 "might" have. As for the real-time traffic system,
Yes, that is the one. See below:

Honda bolsters its voice-recognition navigation system
YUZO YAMAGUCHI | Automotive News
Posted Date: 9/24/04
TOKYO -- The updated version of Honda Motor Co.'s voice-recognition navigation system won't require drivers to type in street names or to take their eyes off the road to read a computer screen.

Speak the name of a street or city and the computer displays it on a screen or guides you to the destination by voice.

IBM software offers guidance for more than 1.7 million street and city names in the continental United States. It also offers audible directions to stores, restaurants or other places.

The system is standard on the 2005 Acura RL sedan, which goes on sale in the United States in mid-October. It is optional on the 2005 Acura MDX SUV and Honda Odyssey minivan. The option costs about $2,000.

The system also can command the audio system, air conditioning and a cell phone by voice.

U.S. demand for a navigation system is expected to grow. About 730,000 vehicles, or 4.4 percent out of 16.7 million sold in 2003, had a factory-installed navigation unit, estimates Delphi Corp.

Delphi expects sales to grow to nearly 1 million units this year
Old 04-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Fairly Decent

jr, I'm just wondering what your problems are with the 05 CTS? I was actually in the final stages of purchasing one before I came across my 05 TL. My parents purchased an 04 SRX the week it came out and they absolutely hate it. It's made of such poor quality materials and the engine has made a whirring noise since day one. Horrible product.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IkeaBoy
jr, I'm just wondering what your problems are with the 05 CTS? I was actually in the final stages of purchasing one before I came across my 05 TL. My parents purchased an 04 SRX the week it came out and they absolutely hate it. It's made of such poor quality materials and the engine has made a whirring noise since day one. Horrible product.
The 3.6 V6 engine does indeed have the whirring noise. They all do. My main gripe is build quality. At 600 miles, my rear differential started to whine very loud. They replaced it. At 7000 miles the new one started to whine loud again. They replaced it. If it happens again, I will try for the lemon law. Three strikes, ya know. The CTS forum is full of people who have had the rears replaced over and over again. Cadillac "upgraded" the rear differential with a new part number, but they still are junk. It is a poorly built car for the money. I was VERY close to buying the TL when I bought the Caddy but I liked the looks a little better on the Cadillac. Bad decision on my part. Unfortunatly, I have all but given up on American made cars. Sad but true.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Fairly Decent

I hear you, bro. It's sad because I hoped Cadillac would follow through with this "reinvention" as of late and actually produce quality cars. Maybe they need a few more years to work out the kinks. My old man is waiting on his 06 STS to replace the SRX. I still regret not getting the CTS-V when I had the chance.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Instructor

The cassette player is a must in the TL, it is the only way to use your Ipod in the car. There is no adapter to directly hookup the Ipod in any Acura with navigation, so if you have navi the only way to listen to your Ipod in the car is through the cassette.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be nice if they scratched the tape player and put an RCA input in the mid section compartment. If I can convince my father to buy this summer I am not sure If I would wait for the 06, especially if his car dies. Does the IBM system have the same hardware, becuase the software could then be installed by the dealer. If they could tell me right now it would have TPMS I would definatly wait, otherwise, I don't know.