Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Nightmare Stories

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer Nightmare Stories

I just purchased a CPO 08 TL Type S CBP from a local Acura Dealer here namely Lasher Auto Group in the Sacramento, CA area. After purchasing the car being the noob that I am I noticed a lot of red flags that worry me not necessarily mechanicaly but the true history of the car. I brought it home and noticed the front windshield was replaced sporting a"southbender" windshield and the drivers side window was "pilkriton glass". Also the drivers side back door feels rough to the touch as though they've been repainted which I suspect it has been. There is absolutely zero history in carfax or any other report with this car being damanged or any sort of maintance history on this thing.
All I know is that it was a loaned out at 42mi. To make things worse the drivers side window is now rattling like a mother lover at certain times and I have to keep coming into service and speak with their reps whenever it's randomly sqeaking and rattling. It's really quite annoying.

Anyone else experienced or been a victim of used sales scams or any other dealership mishaps involving Sales, Service, parts, etc...? I'm new here so forgive me if this has already been discussed. This might be a beneficial thread to those who have been scammed or played by the dealership to come and vent and share your story!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:48 PM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
I had brought a CPO 05 TL a few years back. Being a noob I also took sale of the car later to find out that the car was a piece of junk. When I saw the car none of the rear speakers were installed... I just figured that the car was a trade in and that the previous owner took his old system. The dealer said that everything would be fixed upon delivery (The dealership had my car for 5 weeks trying to install a radio and other various missing parts... WTF).

After a few months of dealing with Acura and getting Acura HQ on the phone I took it upon myself to do some investigating. Another problem was that the car had a constant vibration. The service department "rotated and balanced the tires" three times unable to find the problem.

I took matters into my own hands. I found that two rims were bent and then when I put the car on a lift I saw that every door had been bondo'd and repainted. They didn't even spray behind the door handles. I felt like an idiot because I put myself into this situation.

What I should have done was take the car to my mechanic friend and had him give the car the once over. After 6 months of back and forth with Acura and my Acura Stealership, the situation was resolved and although they completely fucked me on the first car... the finally did me right by putting me in a new 08 Type-S.

That is the short version of my story.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Morrissey25
I had brought a CPO 05 TL a few years back. Being a noob I also took sale of the car later to find out that the car was a piece of junk. When I saw the car none of the rear speakers were installed... I just figured that the car was a trade in and that the previous owner took his old system. The dealer said that everything would be fixed upon delivery (The dealership had my car for 5 weeks trying to install a radio and other various missing parts... WTF).

After a few months of dealing with Acura and getting Acura HQ on the phone I took it upon myself to do some investigating. Another problem was that the car had a constant vibration. The service department "rotated and balanced the tires" three times unable to find the problem.

I took matters into my own hands. I found that two rims were bent and then when I put the car on a lift I saw that every door had been bondo'd and repainted. They didn't even spray behind the door handles. I felt like an idiot because I put myself into this situation.

What I should have done was take the car to my mechanic friend and had him give the car the once over. After 6 months of back and forth with Acura and my Acura Stealership, the situation was resolved and although they completely fucked me on the first car... the finally did me right by putting me in a new 08 Type-S.

A sad story with a happy ending I suppose...so who's leg did you have to hump to get a 08 Type-s from them new at that? Was it their "we're sorry" we've raped your nervous system for 6 months straight here's something that should make you feel better? I would suppose I'd take your advice but I wouldn't want them to compensate me with a new 4G TL that's more like a slap in the face going from an 3G TL to a 4G not much of an upgrade by any means.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:38 PM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonBronzeRocketTypeS
A sad story with a happy ending I suppose...so who's leg did you have to hump to get a 08 Type-s from them new at that? Was it their "we're sorry" we've raped your nervous system for 6 months straight here's something that should make you feel better? I would suppose I'd take your advice but I wouldn't want them to compensate me with a new 4G TL that's more like a slap in the face going from an 3G TL to a 4G not much of an upgrade by any means.
I think that got that "deal" because they were sick of seeing me. I made sure to keep my composure at all times and be as respectful as I could. One option for me was to take was to trade my "lemon" in for another car of equal or lesser value. When I found a car at a sister dealership there was another commotion regarding a transfer of the a-spec kit from the original "lemon." turns out that the dealership would loose a lot of money with that deal.

For shits and giggles I asked what could be done to get me into a type-s. Turns out that the new type-s was the best option for everybody

I guess that I would suggest to get corporate involved. As far as the looks of a CPO car... It only has to look presentable. It doesnt matter If the glass is not Honda/Acura glass. I hope that there is nothing really wrong with your new car.

Trust me... There is so much more to my story but you get the gist.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Replacing the windshield with a standard "$200" windshield will give you more road noise. I had this done once and made them replace it with the OEM glass. It's acousti glass and dampens road and wind noise.

I think there's a fix for the rattling window around here somewhere.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
never shop alone
always take a car to a seperate shop for inspection
Carfax ONLY knows what its been told- by INSURANCE company payouts or dealer services
You can pay a body shop, without using your insurance, and no record will ever exist of the damage

Salesmen are there to sell cars- they will say anything to make that happen
Did you really think they knew the history of every car they sell?
what they DO know is: what their lowest price really is and how much commission they want off you

Its always `Caveat Emptor` = Buyer Beware,,a saying old enough to come from Latin!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
CPO is such a farce--look at the actual list the tech cks off,,repairs allowed, damage allowed
Must get all recalls completed- which acura pays the dealer to do!~
have 4 decent tires, brake minimum 30 % remaining etc

Nowhere does it require perfect maitenance history or no damage
Its a sales tool that adds 1000 dollars to the price in order to get an extended warranty that covers most ---but not all things- just in case
Old 12-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
CPO is such a farce--look at the actual list the tech cks off,,repairs allowed, damage allowed
Must get all recalls completed- which acura pays the dealer to do!~
have 4 decent tires, brake minimum 30 % remaining etc

Nowhere does it require perfect maitenance history or no damage
Its a sales tool that adds 1000 dollars to the price in order to get an extended warranty that covers most ---but not all things- just in case
You're being very generous with the $1000 price increase on CPO cars. I've done my research unfortunately a little to late and realized they actually added a nice premium of over $3000 above the dealer true retail price on edmunds for the car.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:27 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Back when I was shopping, one dealer described to me that they pay Acura money to sell a car as CPO. He said their dealer was willing to sell any CPO car without the CPO for roughly a $500 savings. I did not end up buying a car from them, but it seemed an interesting concept. Buy a car that meets the requirements for CPO, but don't pay for the CPO.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
I have a dealership story but its pretty much just my fault for wanting the car too bad and not checking into it as much as I should have. Thats the last time I do that. Make sure you check it out thoroughly before buying it, and if youre not a mechanic yourself take it to one you trust. And dont buy from small dealerships no matter how much of a good deal they make you think youre getting.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Get Money

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbocoop
I have a dealership story but its pretty much just my fault for wanting the car too bad and not checking into it as much as I should have. Thats the last time I do that. Make sure you check it out thoroughly before buying it, and if youre not a mechanic yourself take it to one you trust. And dont buy from small dealerships no matter how much of a good deal they make you think youre getting.

Agreed. I've been into cars for about 7-8yrs. And I was so anxious to drive the TL off the lot that I didn't even care to look at the car all the way. Come to find out there was a huge stain in the rear floor mat, somewhere it was repainted because the rear passenger door sill feels rough and no gloss.

Lesson learned.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
CPO in general is just a marketing to used to jack the price up. Lexus is among the worst when it comes to CPO vehicles. I used to see tons of them with 30k miles, CPO, and the price was only a few thousand dollars less than a brand new one. Ridiculous.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

CPO, as many pointed out is a roll of dice, at best. It's a ploy - they tell you that only select cars qualify for CPO - well maintained, all records, no history of accidents, no body work, flawless in every way... PLUS! You get additional (extended) warranty. In reality - it was all a joke. I've driven several CPOs and the one I liked - when I asked for service records at first I was told they were misplaced. Then I was told that it was serviced at another dealer and they had no access to their records but it was CPO - so I shouldn't worry, coz it was all cool - "WE STAND BEHIND OUR CARS". What they forgot to add was "with a bucket of lube, ready to 'service' your rear".

Oh, and the car also had a replaced windshield, painted front fender, sunroof that wouldn't open, passenger side mirror that didn't move.

Yeah. CPO my a$$
Old 12-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Morrissey25
I had brought a CPO 05 TL a few years back...

Well, imagine that... a dishonest car dealer!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cynep
CPO, as many pointed out is a roll of dice, at best. It's a ploy - they tell you that only select cars qualify for CPO - well maintained, all records, no history of accidents, no body work, flawless in every way... PLUS! You get additional (extended) warranty. In reality - it was all a joke. I've driven several CPOs and the one I liked - when I asked for service records at first I was told they were misplaced. Then I was told that it was serviced at another dealer and they had no access to their records but it was CPO - so I shouldn't worry, coz it was all cool - "WE STAND BEHIND OUR CARS". What they forgot to add was "with a bucket of lube, ready to 'service' your rear".

Oh, and the car also had a replaced windshield, painted front fender, sunroof that wouldn't open, passenger side mirror that didn't move.

Yeah. CPO my a$$

There's just no way they can get away with shit like that I never understod why the state or federal government refuses to regulate these big time scam artist dealerships. This isn't "Tony's Car Yard" here it's a legitamiate ACURA dealership for christs sake. I do understand the term buyer beware but a dealership by design is a place go to to get "quality" new or used parts without the bull stank attached. That's why we pay top dolloar for our cars! I think only CA offers some form of buyer protection with its 2 day used car lemon law. I personally think CA should have a state apointed attorney present at every car used car purchase clearly defining and explaining the terms and conditions involved for every item listed on the invoice? Maybe I'm asking to much but so are they for their vast batches of POS cars!
Old 12-16-2010, 02:38 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Okay, new question along these lines of CPO. Let's say you go to a dealer and they have 2 cars that are extremely similar, same year, similar mileage, same color, same trim level & features. Only difference on paper is that one is CPO and the other is not. Without knowing any more that what's on paper, which one would you favor?