AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   Dealer misquoted service price, what should I do? I already agreed to the job (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/dealer-misquoted-service-price-what-should-i-do-i-already-agreed-job-857468/)

robocam 05-16-2012 08:23 PM

Dealer misquoted service price, what should I do? I already agreed to the job

I brought my TL to the dealer to have its CEL diagnosed. My service adviser told me that I needed my heads worked on at a price of ~$2100. I asked him if that price was for both heads, and he said yes, so I agreed to the job.

I spoke with the technician, and he told me that the price was for just one head. The thread I started on the issue is here.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/suggestions-stiffer-valve-springs-random-misfire-overrev-855462/

At first, I told them that it was no problem because I thought I'd just let it go because fixing one head would solve the problem. The tech thought that only cylinder 6 needed work but when the machine shop checked the head, they told him that all the exhaust valves were bent, which means that potentially (or probably) all the exhaust valves in the other head are also bent (but not as badly as the ones in cylinder 6).

Anyway, I was thrilled when they told me they could do both heads for ~$2100, but now that I've found out it was a mistake, I'm not sure what to do. Should I contact Acura Client Relations to see if they can help me? What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

Bearcat94 05-16-2012 08:40 PM

For that kind of money, I'd consider an engine swap.

robocam 05-16-2012 08:44 PM

They gave me that as an option (another engine with like 15k less miles) but I don't want someone else's used engine. Plus, I wanted stiffer valve springs installed so that this wouldn't happen again. Also, they're already done with one head, so I can't really change my decision =)

Originally Posted by Bearcat94 (Post 13780245)
For that kind of money, I'd consider an engine swap.

JJH 05-16-2012 09:45 PM

If you agreed and it's in writing, then you are under contract to pay that price. Anything over $500 must be in written contact, assuring genuineness of assent. Anything below $500 is okay for verbal agreement. If you signed already, get ready to dish out.

What caused you to bend your rods anyways? Did you get water in the intake? I would feel 100% more comfortable swapping for a used engine with <15k miles rather than getting head work done from a dealership. How long do they warrant their labor?

Jesstzn 05-16-2012 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by robocam (Post 13780205)
I brought my TL to the dealer to have its CEL diagnosed. My service adviser told me that I needed my heads worked on at a price of ~$2100. I asked him if that price was for both heads, and he said yes, so I agreed to the job.

I spoke with the technician, and he told me that the price was for just one head. The thread I started on the issue is here.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855462

At first, I told them that it was no problem because I thought I'd just let it go because fixing one head would solve the problem. The tech thought that only cylinder 6 needed work but when the machine shop checked the head, they told him that all the exhaust valves were bent, which means that potentially (or probably) all the exhaust valves in the other head are also bent (but not as badly as the ones in cylinder 6).

Anyway, I was thrilled when they told me they could do both heads for ~$2100, but now that I've found out it was a mistake, I'm not sure what to do. Should I contact Acura Client Relations to see if they can help me? What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

Did you sign anything approving $2100 for both heads? If so ,, then they should stick with it ..

JJH 05-16-2012 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jesstzn (Post 13780444)
Did you sign anything approving $2100 for both heads? If so ,, then they should stick with it ..

+1. Unless it was just a tech that quoted the price to you and not the service manager.

nfnsquared 05-16-2012 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by JJH (Post 13780404)
If you agreed and it's in writing, then you are under contract to pay that price. Anything over $500 must be in written contact, assuring genuineness of assent. Anything below $500 is okay for verbal agreement....

Uh oh, another internet lawyer... what are you basing this on?

Bearcat94 05-16-2012 10:46 PM

What caused you to bend your rods anyways? Did you get water in the intake? ...

Originally Posted by robocam (Post 13780205)
.... The thread I started on the issue is here.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855462

Bottom line, iirc, he mis-shifted. Pretty sure that is correct, but read the thread just in case I'm mistaken.

JJH 05-16-2012 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by nfnsquared (Post 13780517)
Uh oh, another internet lawyer... what are you basing this on?

My business law courses that I took. Vague memories. Look up contract law. $500 is the cut off for verbal agreements.

Originally Posted by Bearcat94 (Post 13780572)
Bottom line, iirc, he mis-shifted. Pretty sure that is correct, but read the thread just in case I'm mistaken.

Oops, missed that.

JJH 05-16-2012 11:21 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_frauds

robocam 05-17-2012 03:05 AM

If you agreed and it's in writing, then you are under contract to pay that price. Anything over $500 must be in written contact, assuring genuineness of assent. Anything below $500 is okay for verbal agreement. If you signed already, get read to dish out.

What caused you to bend your rods anyways? Did you get water in the intake? I would feel 100% more comfortable swapping for a used engine with <15k miles rather than getting head work done from a dealership. How long do they warrant their labor?

I didn't sign anything other than the envelope for the night drop-off.

I accidentally shifted from 2nd into 1st instead of 3rd causing the engine to rev to 8300 rpm causing the pistons to hit the valves.

Originally Posted by Jesstzn (Post 13780444)

No, I didn't sign anything approving this job. It was over the phone.

Originally Posted by JJH (Post 13780450)
+1. Unless it was just a tech that quoted the price to you and not the service manager.

My service adviser gave me the price. He later apologized saying that he thought the price was for both heads.

Turbonut 05-17-2012 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by robocam (Post 13780840)
No, I didn't sign anything approving this job. It was over the phone.

My service adviser gave me the price. He later apologized saying that he thought the price was for both heads.

If he admits to this statement, then it gets fixed with their dime.

white_sh 05-17-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Turbonut (Post 13780898)
If he admits to this statement, then it gets fixed with their dime.

Agreed. You had agreed to get the work done for 2100. If they told you it would have costed 4200, you would have choosen other options.

06NH6MTTL 05-17-2012 07:36 AM

This is it. He admitted to his mess up and you should take full advantage of the situation!!!!!

LoveMyTL-S 05-17-2012 08:02 AM

^^^^I agree. You're getting two heads for the price of one.

nfnsquared 05-17-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by JJH (Post 13780587)
My business law courses that I took. Vague memories. Look up contract law. $500 is the cut off for verbal agreements...

For the purchase of goods over $500, yes. But that doesn't apply here. The OP is not purchasing goods. Service is an intangible commodity and does not fall under contract law.

OP, I agree that since the SM admitted he did indeed tell you it was for both heads, they should honor that quote. However, you also admit that once you were informed of their mistake, you said "At first, I told them that it was no problem". That may cause you some problems.

I would continue to press them to honor the SM's quote and politely and professionally take your case "up the chain" at the dealer and also start a case with ACS. Good luck to you.

leedogg 05-17-2012 09:30 AM

Have you asked them to do both heads as agreed? Have they pushed back on doing both heads? I dont see what the problem is unless you've had some resistance. Escalate to client services only if needed.

spaceboy 05-17-2012 10:33 PM

I accidentally shifted from 2nd into 1st instead of 3rd causing the engine to rev to 8300 rpm causing the pistons to hit the valves.

wow, u must have shifted really really hard cuz i have never been able to do that with all my MT cars unless the speed is really low.........oh well maybe i am a weak shifter!!!

flyromeo3 05-18-2012 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by JJH (Post 13780635)

OP isnt purchasing any goods. Just getting service done.

so this doesnt apply

Acura_Dude 05-18-2012 09:31 AM

OP how fast were you driving to spin the rpms up that high when you mis-shifted?:scratch: