Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:37 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dash Removal

Has anyone ever removed the dash of a 2004 - 2008 TL?

I have a nearly-constant rattle/buzz that his ocCurring about 4 inches behind the front left speaker (toward the driver) . It seems to be underneath the dash (it is not the speaker rattle that most people complain about - I have already fought that battle).

My goal is to disassemble every last piece of this car until I have found the last rattle, buzz, drone, and squeak. This car has more rattles - IN THE DASH - than my '97 Jeep Wrangler and Chevy Monte Carlo had combined!

HONDA, I have one question:
What's the use of installing sound deadening material in the wheel wells, around the doors, and in the firewall of the car if the quietness of the interior is pierced by constant rattling and buzzing?...My only guess is that all of this sound deadening material is to keep these rattles and buzzes INSIDE the car as to avoid annoying the @#$!! out of those on the outside of the car! BRILLIANT!

Sorry, had to vent. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea i started noticing a few shit noises myself im ready to run the shit into honda factory and ask them nicely to fix it.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Instructor

I found this from an old thread and saved it in notepad. You can probably search for the whole thread if you like.

Without further delay here it is.

Sunroof - metal on metal when it is in tilt mode, hit a bump it makes a rattle - while in tilt mode place your fingers in b/t the glass and the roof where they connect closest to the windshield - you will notice your finger tips touch both the top (glass frame) and bottom (roof pan). Place weather stripping on the leading edge of the sunroof from the inside of the car. Once you put the roof in tilt mode it will squish the weather stripping attached to the leading edge of the sunroof (you can get it at Canadian Tire or Home Depot) against the roof pan closest to the windshield. {problem solved.

Steering Wheel - I went to the dealer 10X. Each time it seemed as though it was fixed for a day or two, then either cold weather or a big bump would set it off. Finally, after being relentless, they replaced the airbag...that was 7mths ago, no issue since.

Dash - instrument cluster area - this one is easy - just place your fingers in the left and right side holes of the instrument cluster (a couple centimeters or an inch back from the clear plastic gauge covers) and push down while pulling toward you - this section pops out entirely, unclip the electrical connections and cover the back with light felt tape you use under table legs that are on hardwood floors - no more noises. Incidentally - this felt tape is fantastic b/c you can you it anywhere you have a rattle.

Console - take out the pin where you could put the ignition key in the shifter area, remove the silver housing around the shifter that sits on the carbon fiber...add above felt tape or otherwise. The issue here is the silver trim ring that covers the gap keeps rattling as it rubs against the carbon fiber, esp. when the car twists.

Trunk (deck lid) - usually this one is bass caused. Make .5 inch by 1 inch pieces of wood, cover in hockey tape, open trunk. Then in the underside of the deck lid from the truck you will see numerous slots in the steel - fit your fingers through, and you will feel the upper deck lid, the one you see from the rear glass. You will if you push up and down it can flex and when it does it hits the steel underside deck lid. Add the wood in through the slots in the underside steel deck lid and force up slightly the inner finished deck lid...no more noises when you turn up the base.

Driver side Vent - grab hold of it with your fingers in the slots with the drivers door open, shimmy back and forth, it comes out completely. Add felt tape. The drivers side vent has an edge around it where it butts up to the dash - it is an approximate 45 degree angle and has approx 1cm or so 'face' that would make contact with the dash....put the felt tape on the 1cm section all around.

Pull the vent out and drive around for a bit first to ensure it is actually coming from the area...and shake the vent to see if it is the vent. The felt is a cheap way to isolate worst case. Anyway I think it was the plastic pipe that defogs your left window (the top pipe) that’s actually inside the dash. I think it was hitting the top of the dash when the vent assembly was inserted - so I put felt between the top and the dash part (there’s a little hook coming out on the top - that’s what its actually hitting)

also on the vent assembly itself in between the defog vent and the main vent I put felt there as well (i.e. when the defog pipe would be "on" I thought it might be able to bounce down and tap the main vent so I put felt on the top of the main vent)

I also put some petroleum jelly on the metal clips and it got rid of the squeaking sound when you wiggle the vent when its inserted.

Driver side under steer column ...not directly under but the area immediately over top the floor pan...tap it and you will see usually it rattles just add felt tape in the corners where it is plastic on plastic - not an issue in warm climates but an issue in cold CDN winters

Another fix for bass rattle:
The child anchors on the rear deck is another cause of the bass rattles. To fix, put a strip of weather-stripping on the plastic where the clover close on (right behind the headrests).
Old 12-19-2007, 08:18 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aedimartino

What's the use of installing sound deadening material in the wheel wells, around the doors, and in the firewall of the car if the quietness of the interior is pierced by constant rattling and buzzing?...My only guess is that all of this sound deadening material is to keep these rattles and buzzes INSIDE the car as to avoid annoying the @#$!! out of those on the outside of the car! BRILLIANT!

OK, That was funny. We all can relate to your TL rattle pain. Of all the vehicles I have owned, the TL has by far been the worse in regards to rattles/buzz's.

Now, for your specific issue. I assume you prefer to handle this yourself vs the dealer? Maybe you're like me and out of warranty. Anyway, the above describes the vent removal, I had that rattle as well. If that's not it, I also removed the small tweeter/speaker on the upper left dash area and inserted/packed the area forward and aft in order to eliminate a dash rattle there.
Now, I need to focus on the turn signal/column area buzz that I have...

Best of luck - I know you're frustrated yet thanks for the laugh. Keep that sense of humor.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aedimartino
Has anyone ever removed the dash of a 2004 - 2008 TL?

I have a nearly-constant rattle/buzz that his ocCurring about 4 inches behind the front left speaker (toward the driver) . It seems to be underneath the dash (it is not the speaker rattle that most people complain about - I have already fought that battle).

My goal is to disassemble every last piece of this car until I have found the last rattle, buzz, drone, and squeak. This car has more rattles - IN THE DASH - than my '97 Jeep Wrangler and Chevy Monte Carlo had combined!

Sorry, had to vent. Thanks for listening.

I know exactly how you feel. I have had my car in to the dealer 4 times for rattles. They fix one and a new one develops to take its place. I have just given up and decided to just live with them. But more power to you if you can get rid of them.