Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn Car-poolers.. breaking my stuff

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn Car-poolers.. breaking my stuff

So.... new kid started down at my work. Just so happens his wife works like 3 blocks from my house, they only have 1 car, and we work the same hours at the same location.

Perfect! Wife drops him off at my house every morning, picks him up every night. Nothing is out of the way for me, and it saves them a huge headache.

Fast-Forward 3 monthes. Kid does nothing but whistle and sing to every song on the radio, keeps talking about his video games and shit, and "is gonna buy one of those" (anything... anything that you see)

Long story short, he's got a POS phone that doesnt hold a charge for more than like 20 minutes and he cant afford to get a new one. Keeps plugging his phone into my socket up front (in the dash, below the radio). Today, I goto close the carbon fiber door/cover thing (hate leaving doors open, cupholders out, visors down etc). He broke the damn flap off my charging port.

On the Acura store, it is listed under Interior/Bumper > Front Console > Part 16 (Cover, Accessory socket)

Anyone have any ideas how I replace this? It's not glaringly obvious when I look at it, but I do want to get another one. It's worth the $11 to me not to have this little hinge flapping around for all the world to see (when they are in my front seat when I happen to forget to close the door)
Old 05-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
I suggest you not change the cover until the kid car pooler stops riding with you.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 PM
B A N N E D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I broke mine myself. Didn't bother to fix it cuz I couldn't stand that spring loaded nonsense.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Wow, I nearly started a post very similar to this. Same thing, freeloaders (carpoolers) scratching and wearing out the interior. Singing terribly to music. Complaining about the music. Complaining that I'm complaining about them not touching my car. I hate people holding onto the handles above the doors. I have to tell one guy every day to not touch the handle. I hate for the headliner to be touched and now it has a black streak on it. They complained that I wait too long to hit the brakes even though I keep a large following disance on the highway and have sticky tires and 13" Rotoras while they follow people with only a few feet to spare in their lifted trucks. So many other things too. I finally had to cut everyone off, it was causing me too much stress.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally Posted by Riga89
I broke mine myself. Didn't bother to fix it cuz I couldn't stand that spring loaded nonsense.

I hate that shit, but then again I never use mine lol.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Sucks. Tell the kid to pay up. Gas is not free.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:51 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Wow, I nearly started a post very similar to this. Same thing, freeloaders (carpoolers) scratching and wearing out the interior. Singing terribly to music. Complaining about the music. Complaining that I'm complaining about them not touching my car. I hate people holding onto the handles above the doors. I have to tell one guy every day to not touch the handle. I hate for the headliner to be touched and now it has a black streak on it. They complained that I wait too long to hit the brakes even though I keep a large following disance on the highway and have sticky tires and 13" Rotoras while they follow people with only a few feet to spare in their lifted trucks. So many other things too. I finally had to cut everyone off, it was causing me too much stress.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
Sucks. Tell the kid to pay up. Gas is not free.

Lol....it is a time of recession. Isn't someone parting out their 3G TL in the Black market? Maybe you can get the part there.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry mah man, never replaced it nor know how to.

How old is this individual?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
if that "kid" has two perfectly good legs, he can walk.

to quote from Transporter 2:

What's the first rule when entering a man's car?
Respect a man's car, a man respects you.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,239 Likes on 703 Posts
That's why I stopped taking certain friends in my car unless they pay. Slamming my doors & finding trash in the back seat was the last straw.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
That's why I stopped taking certain friends in my car unless they pay. Slamming my doors & finding trash in the back seat was the last straw.
Sounds like my wife...
Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
The vast majority of motor vehicle owners think of these items as tools; devices to take them from point A to point B. Wear items. So they naturally assume you think the same when they get into your car. It doesn't enter their little minds that there are people who care about their vehicles and don't wish to see them treated badly. When you set rules for them or admonish them for doing something you don't like while they are in your property, they get defensive and some actually get mad.

Is this crazy or what?

I have rules about my property; home, car, or whatever it might be. It's mine and they will abide by my rules or they will have to find another way. That means no smoking, no eating, no drinking (as in no coffee), no sticky hands, no spraying of perfume or cologne, no makeup applying, no playing with dash vents, mirrors or such, no messing with the sound system, no slamming of the doors, no leaning on the car's outside, and a host of other "no's". If they don't like it, find another ride. It's mine.

Ok, rant over. In my last job when we had schedule a lunch outside of the complex, I would drive my Ranger pickup to work that day. That way, my TL was home safe in my garage and not exposed to any crap from fellow employees.

To our OP here... Impose rules like this on the kid AFTER he has paid to have your car fixed and IF you decide to let him ride in your car again. Make sure he understands it's YOUR property and he is only in it by your good graces. If he doesn't like this, as someone already said... he has two feet - let him walk or find another way.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
In total agreement. Some people have the audacity to not see that you're doing them a favor. To them you're "going here or there anyway", so it's "not really putting you out". If I were car-less and riding with someone, I'd at least pitch in half the gas, and offer even more, because the alternative is me paying for a car AND gas on top of all that. I'd certainly pay to fix anything I broke. That's just courtesy, decency and respect, but sadly it seems more and more people just have none of the above.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:33 AM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
over here people car pool all the times. its called slugging. they have big ass parking lots dedicated for them.

Theres a bunch of rules tho. take a look. apply it to him.
  • First Come - First Served. The slug first in line gets the next ride to their destination and also gets to choose the front or back seat. Slugs should never take a ride out of turn.
  • Slugs do not talk. This is not completely true, because there are times when conversation is acceptable, but normally slugs must wait for drivers to initiate it; otherwise, there is no talking. One note about this rule. Even though it may sound impolite not to initiate conversation, there are some good reasons why this rule exists. The driver (and sometimes the slug) isn’t interested in getting to know the other person. On the contrary, all that is wanted is a quiet ride home. For many riders, it’s a chance to think, sleep, or read the paper. For the driver, it may be the only chance to listen to the news or relax to his or her own music. The last thing both riders and drivers want is to feel obligated to carry on a 30-minute conversation. It’s a good rule. Now, with that being said, sometimes conversations do take place, but you’ll just have to use your own judgment as to when it’s appropriate.
  • No conversations of religion, politics, or sex. Enough said...
  • No money, gifts, or tokens of appreciation are ever offered or requested. A driver doesn’t expect the riders to help out with gas money. The relationship between the driver and rider is mutually supporting. The driver needs the slugs just as much as the slugs need the driver. If a driver wants help with the gas, he should organize his own car pool. He shouldn’t ask a slug to pitch in for helping him access the HOV!
  • Cell Phones - Slugs should not have a conversation on their cell phone while commuting. The very short, "Hey, I'm on my way home." is okay, but do not have a long conversation about what you did last weekend! For drivers, it is acceptable.
  • The line does not leave a woman standing alone. Call it chivalry or simply thoughtfulness towards the safety of others, but this rule has certainly helped many women feel safer. Notice that I said "the line," because the rule applies to both men and women. It works like this: If the line has three people left in it and the driver needs only two in order to meet the HOV-3 requirement, the "line" should ensure that a woman is not left standing. Either a man forfeits his place in line so that he is left standing, or the ride is declined until another slug arrives. Or, it is acceptable to ask the driver if he will take more slugs in order to clear the line. Whatever the situation, the intent is not to leave a woman standing alone on the street, especially at night.
  • There is no smoking or eating by the driver or slug.
  • A slug does not ask to change the radio station or adjust the heat or air conditioning.
  • Normally, the slug does not open or close the window.
  • Both slugs and drivers usually exchange a "Thank you" before and after the ride.
  • No "curbside" service. There are certain understood destinations. Horner Road means the parking area at Horner Road, not the gas station just down Prince William Parkway or around the block to were you live. If you have a special request, be sure to ask the driver before accepting the ride. Normally, as long as the stop is on the way, drivers will not object.
  • Slugs have the right to pass or forfeit a ride if they do not like a particular car. Let’s say a couple of rough-looking characters pull up and your gut feeling tells you this ride isn’t safe. PASS. There are plenty of other rides that will pass your own personal "gut" check.
  • No "Body Snatching." If the line of cars picking up slugs is too long, many times drivers will cruise the commuter parking lots, attempting to pick up slugs walking to the line. This practice is unfair to both slugs and drivers. I have seen this rule both enforced and violated, by both drivers and slugs. Hopefully, this rule will stand the test of time; otherwise, it will be a free-for-all.
  • Drivers should not "stop short." Stopping short happens when the driver decides not to take the slug all the way to the agreed-upon destination. For example, the driver decides to stop at his parking garage, just a few blocks short of the understood drop-off point, forcing the slug to walk the remainder of the distance. In this case the driver should tell the slug that he is only going part way to the destination and let the slug decide whether or not to accept the ride.
  • Will Call—the driver’s option to pick a particular slug not at the front of the line. This situation usually happens when a driver sees a friend in line and simply calls for that individual.
  • Seat Belts - it's understood that both drivers and passengers should buckle-up. Drivers please allow the slugs time before leaving the parking lot.
  • Consideration - both drivers and slugs should use common consideration during the commute. For example, drivers should try to use a relatively clean car, avoid heavy use of perfumes or colognes, and keep the radio at a moderate level.
  • Avoid Personal Hygiene Care - both drivers and slugs should avoid things like: putting on make-up, combing hair, etc.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
My company has people in from out of town all the time. I never offer to pick them up or drop them off. I'm an ass. I always get asked questions like "How long does it take to get into downtown from X?" and/or "The cab ride was $20!". I just say, "20 minutes" or "wow, sucks for you" I'm always asked where in town I live and what I drive. I assume they are hinting that they would like a ride.

My car is clean. No side skirt scraping, no fingernail scratches, no dirt, no brief cases or luggage on my seats. Blame me for "global warming" or take the bus I don't care. My car looks brand new except for the blemishes brought on by others.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:55 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddy
Sounds like my wife...
u keep your wife in the back seat?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Chessie724
In total agreement. Some people have the audacity to not see that you're doing them a favor. To them you're "going here or there anyway", so it's "not really putting you out". If I were car-less and riding with someone, I'd at least pitch in half the gas, and offer even more, because the alternative is me paying for a car AND gas on top of all that. I'd certainly pay to fix anything I broke. That's just courtesy, decency and respect, but sadly it seems more and more people just have none of the above.

And the winner is...

Man I could not agree more. Well said!
Old 05-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
u keep your wife in the back seat?
I wish... She throws the wrappers at me and then they wind up back there...
Old 05-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by j1n
over here people car pool all the times. its called slugging. they have big ass parking lots dedicated for them.

Theres a bunch of rules tho. take a look. apply it to him.
  • First Come - First Served. The slug first in line gets the next ride to their destination and also gets to choose the front or back seat. Slugs should never take a ride out of turn.
    I will add this to my list of many reasons not live in VA
    Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 PM
    Former Whiner

Slugging has so many rules.
    Wonder if someone's ever been kicked out for picking their nose.
    Old 05-26-2010, 05:02 AM
    Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
    Originally Posted by Souljah
    I originally thought that was a funny post. Didn't realize it was for real. So are they required to carpool or just doing a favor or what?
    Old 05-26-2010, 06:29 AM
    Registered Member

Originally Posted by Sandals
    I will add this to my list of many reasons not live in VA
    Good. We don't want people here who don't want to be here.. especially those from the People's Republic of Maryland.
    Old 05-26-2010, 06:33 AM
    Registered Member

I originally thought that was a funny post. Didn't realize it was for real. So are they required to carpool or just doing a favor or what?
    I've never been party to this, but from what I understand, it's all a volunteer sort of thing. As far as I know, carpooling is not a requirement anywhere around here, but it is encouraged for those who work in DC. So yes, I imagine it is just a favor. Also, carpooled cars get preferential access to roadway lanes that single driver cars to not have. Probably other favors as well I would bet.
    Old 05-26-2010, 03:26 PM
    j1n
    Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
    lol i dont do it but my buddy did it for 2 years and so did my cousin. i hear its not that bad tho.
    Old 05-26-2010, 04:21 PM
    Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
    It is not required, but if you leave in VA and work in DC the fastest way to get in and out is via HOV lanes. Most HOVs are have 3 people requirement (some have are HOV-2). Taking HOV saves you at least 30-40 min of driving in have traffic.

So yeah it is not "Required" but if you don't want to have 2+ hour (30 Miles) commute yeah way you learn to adapt. DC Metro has consistently ranked #2 worst traffic in the nation.

I live in MD but drive to work in DC my commute is about 30 miles. if i leave the house/office after 9:00pm but before 6:00am i can get to the home/office in 30-35 min. During rush hour (6:00am to 9:30pm and 4:30pm to 8:30pm) it takes me 1:45 to 2 hours to get home/office. during the day time it takes 1 to 1:30 hours. So for 8 hour work day i can spend more then 3 hours commuting. and that is not counting major accidents, police actions, rain, drizzle, or forecast of snow: however if it does snow - it's one of the most pleasant drives after it. http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4539580 (Video shot with hand held sellphone.

Last edited by Screen404; 05-26-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: correction
    Old 05-26-2010, 04:50 PM
    8thcivic.com reppin'

I know how you feel. I carry a lot of people in my car every weekend, and I've had my car for a year. BUT my back seat almost looks mint, and I have a lightly colored cloth interior.

My friends know what they can and can't do, I even let them eat and drink in it (on occasion) but they see me take really good care of the car so they do the same. I don't think I've ever had to tell anyone not to do anything in my car... I think they understand some friends huh?

I get super annoyed when people slam my doors and play with the vents though
    Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 PM
    Former Whiner

Don't care what any of you say. I'm picking my nose.
    Old 05-26-2010, 08:23 PM
    Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
    You should have seen the look on my coworker's face when we got back from lunch when I was driving my G Coupe, which doesn't have frames around the windows...

He closed the passenger door using the glass... We were talking while this was going on... I get out of the car... (Continuing conversation)... I open the trunk... Pull out a micro-fiber towel and some NXT Detail Spray... I walk over to the passenger door... And start wiping his fingerprints off my window.... All while continuing the conversation... The look on his face was classic.... But he never ever closed the door using the glass ever again, lol and I didn't have to say a word about it, lol
    Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 PM
    8thcivic.com reppin'

That's what I mean.
    Old 05-27-2010, 06:31 AM
    Registered Member

Originally Posted by avs007
    You should have seen the look on my coworker's face when we got back from lunch when I was driving my G Coupe, which doesn't have frames around the windows...

He closed the passenger door using the glass... We were talking while this was going on... I get out of the car... (Continuing conversation)... I open the trunk... Pull out a micro-fiber towel and some NXT Detail Spray... I walk over to the passenger door... And start wiping his fingerprints off my window.... All while continuing the conversation... The look on his face was classic.... But he never ever closed the door using the glass ever again, lol and I didn't have to say a word about it, lol
    You sent your message. And your coworker echos my remarks. Clearly he does this in his car and it never occurred to him that you might think different about yours. One may think that people who do these things might pause a moment and say to themselves, "Perhaps this person really cares for his car. It's clear and new looking so I'd better treat it accordingly". But they don't. Slamming doors is the most common thing they do.

All of this on this thread should be a lesson to you folks that it is never a good idea to let a friend, neighbor, or coworker borrow your car. Imagine where they would park it, how they would drive it, and a host of other things you would never dream of doing.
    Old 05-27-2010, 09:22 AM
    Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
    Since he's broke.... Bang his wife and then you're even. "Yahtzee MF"!
    Old 05-27-2010, 09:33 AM
    Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
    Originally Posted by Toddy
    Sounds like my wife...
    and my kid
    Old 05-27-2010, 11:13 AM
    Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
    Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
    All of this on this thread should be a lesson to you folks that it is never a good idea to let a friend, neighbor, or coworker borrow your car. Imagine where they would park it, how they would drive it, and a host of other things you would never dream of doing.
    I don't even let my wife borrow my car Last time I did that, she parked under a pine tree, so I ended up spending an entire weekend cleaning tree sap off my car, and pulling pine needles out of every nook and cranny
    Old 05-28-2010, 01:03 AM
    Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
    my friend puts his feet up. One of the most inconsiderate people ever. I just chalk it up to people being dumb as fck. You can't fix stupid.
    Old 05-28-2010, 01:27 AM
    Instructor

Originally Posted by avs007

my friends laugh at me when i pop the trunk open and they see a towel, a squirt bottle of detailer, a duster and my mini hand-held dirt devil vacuum ALL inside my trunk's cargo net. haha
    Old 05-28-2010, 01:52 AM
    One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
    The spring is annoying. Sucks it was broken though.
    Old 05-28-2010, 04:07 PM
    5th Gear

When I started driving to work in DC, my co-worker told be about this, I thought it was a joke too. Then over couple of weeks, I did noticed this line of people standing, on the 14th NW st, and random unmarked cars would pull up to it, and people get in.
    Old 05-28-2010, 10:10 PM
    Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
    The vast majority of motor vehicle owners think of these items as tools; devices to take them from point A to point B. Wear items. So they naturally assume you think the same when they get into your car. It doesn't enter their little minds that there are people who care about their vehicles and don't wish to see them treated badly. When you set rules for them or admonish them for doing something you don't like while they are in your property, they get defensive and some actually get mad.

Is this crazy or what?

I have rules about my property; home, car, or whatever it might be. It's mine and they will abide by my rules or they will have to find another way. That means no smoking, no eating, no drinking (as in no coffee), no sticky hands, no spraying of perfume or cologne, no makeup applying, no playing with dash vents, mirrors or such, no messing with the sound system, no slamming of the doors, no leaning on the car's outside, and a host of other "no's". If they don't like it, find another ride. It's mine.

Ok, rant over. In my last job when we had schedule a lunch outside of the complex, I would drive my Ranger pickup to work that day. That way, my TL was home safe in my garage and not exposed to any crap from fellow employees.

To our OP here... Impose rules like this on the kid AFTER he has paid to have your car fixed and IF you decide to let him ride in your car again. Make sure he understands it's YOUR property and he is only in it by your good graces. If he doesn't like this, as someone already said... he has two feet - let him walk or find another way.
    My buddy finds it amusing that me and his brothers park our cars in the remote areas of a parking lot and don't let his 10 year old eat in our cars. he drives big SUV and has gotten used to food all over his interior.
    Old 05-31-2010, 07:32 AM
    Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
    Originally Posted by Souljah
    A couple of years ago the people at the Route 3 slug line down near Fredericksburg were having a huge problem with a woman who became known as the "B.O. Lady." Apparently she had been kicked off the commuter bus because she smelled so foul so she started slugging, and once drivers started to recognize her they would all go park in the slug lot until some sucker who didn't know better had picked her up, at which time you'd see a flood of cars stream over to the slug line. Apparently all the slugs were going nuts because it was delaying their commutes by at least half an hour most days. Makes me very glad I do not live down towards Fredericksburg. I've picked up slugs to Springfield a few times when I had to go home before 6 PM and was in a hurry and it made a huge difference, but that was before I had my TL.