Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current BMW Owner seeking advice.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathMetal
One other thing - make SURE you get one with navigation. The navigation system is the tops and there are a ton of things that you can Do with it…backup cam, dvd player add-on, nav hack and customized screens…and, to boot, IIRC, it comes standard on the Type-S
Like what? Can't do Shit with the nav in 07-08 TL's...
Old 02-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by spinxt
Really???? I see TONS of base TL with aftermarket wheels, but rarely see a TL-S with them. The TL-S really make the car....especially if it's black or dark gray. IMHO the "chrome" ASPEC TL-S wheels are ugly...

Well said. I love the whole Type-S package. The wheels were a big part of it.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:42 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Like what? Can't do Shit with the nav in 07-08 TL's...
^^^ dude i was under the same impression !!!!

I neither went with TL-S nor Navi.....i had a money crunch when i got this car (my first car) and till date i regret not getting a Navi....makes ur life very easy !!! i gotta hold my iphone maps up everytime i need to search for something !!!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
^^^ dude i was under the same impression !!!!

I neither went with TL-S nor Navi.....i had a money crunch when i got this car (my first car) and till date i regret not getting a Navi....makes ur life very easy !!! i gotta hold my iphone maps up everytime i need to search for something !!!
When I traded in my 08 TL-S, one of the things I really missed was the Navi. So for my 06 CR-V I bought an aftermarket Navi. It's the Megellan 1700 with the 7 inch screen. It's not exactly the Navi from the TL-S but it's close.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I traded in my '06 6MT for an auto Type-S for personal/family reasons... I would've kept the 6MT for sure. BUT - I must say that the much firmer suspension, lovely sounding motor and exhaust setup (love the bad-ass quads), two-tone seats, and back-up camera made the transition really easy. I love the TL-S, but I also loved the 6MT. If I could do it all over again (and not have to sit in stop-and-go for an hour twice a day), I'd go for the TL-S 6MT without a freakin' doubt!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Okay me being a BMW Technician I was debating over a 335i and TL-S.....You know which I went with....my factors at the time were

1. For the price value TL-S is better then 335i hands down, TL-S technology and interior beats 335i IMO.
2. again IMO, I was looking for a 4dr lux/sport sedan and 335i 4dr didnt have the look like a TL-S does
3. Honda is much more reliable than a BMW(not saying that BMW isnt reliable but it has much more problems than a Honda)

Now as far as 335i and why you would want to get out of one after warranty is done, I don't blame you because parts are expensive and labor woowww I believe at my dealer labor rate is $125/hr and different dealers vary some go as high as $175/hr

Here are weekly issues I see coming thru with 335's and bulletin's out..

turbo isssues(lack of power), results in 2 new turbos installed(which is a bitch!! to do lol) had to vent on that
turbo issues(rattling noise when decelarating), which is either program fix or replacing the wastegates on the turbo's
injectors like mentioned before
high pressure pumps....which pumps and injectors they fixed in the later 09' and on models

loss in oil pressure(bad camshaft bearing caps, the camshafts cause some groove marks on the end of bearing caps, results in replacing camshaft with new caps

okay so you get my point, but with that being said, the 335i is a beast of a motor and just amazing to drive. This is in no way bashing on BMW and fearing people from getting one, because if you can afford one and want one by all means jump on it, the 2010 models are much better and lots have improved(also 2011 N55 suppose to have more power with their single turbo twinscroll) and on top you can't beat BMW's 5yr/50k warranty and no maintenance fee or better yet a 6yr/100k no maintenance fee, amazing deal if you get a BMW.

At the end of the day I'm glad I went with a TL-S over a 335i, but either car is great, but TL-S is better car in long term, 335i once warranty is over then good luck my friend unless you can make it rain like theres no tommorow.

Only regret I have is I went with 5AT TL-S and wish I had gone with 6MT TL-S which was my first choice, but when ur married sometimes you have to settle because of your significant other unfortunately.

And like someone else said uptop, if it wasnt for the Type-S I wouldnt be driving a TL...and if Acura doenst fix their ugly 09- TL looks in the future looks like my next vehicle might just be a E90 M3, which I would kill for, but thats a diffirent story...

Either way Kid Fresh hope the helps you out and whatever you decide in the end I'm sure you will be happy with. Just remember that you will be taking a performance hit in power...But if you go with TL, nothing a Supercharger couldnt fix and hopefully in the future a Supercharger for TL-S which im keeping my eye out on....

Good luck and sorry for the long story just my 2 little pennies
Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 AM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
wow im glad we are on the same page. I myself am not a fan of the Type-S rims- they look like a rim with a bunch of break dust everywhere. I say stick with the base b/c the extra HP realli isnt that much more. 300 HP is an upgrade IMO.

if ur buying used, check for curb rash
Old 02-06-2010, 01:10 AM
Instructor

The HPFP warrant is extended to 7 year / 100k miles if you didn't know.

I had an E90 for about 4 years and got a type-S. I too went for long term reliability of Honda over BMW. Few things I miss about the E90, the steering, feel of stability when punching it, and the rain-sensing wiper. On the other hand, the S is not too shabby either once you get used to it being a bigger car and FWD. Interior the S wins hands down.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Lots of crazy mis-info here.

I test drove a 335 and loved it. The dynamics are so much better than the TL. If I didn't already have a fast car to drive on the weekends I probably would've traded the TL in already. But on the other hand I love the looks of the TL and the reliability is amazing.

Again, the performance differences between the base and TL-S are minimal especially in a straight line. I've driven every model and you really have to try to feel the difference between a 6mt base and a 6mt "S". Same with auto to auto.

A 6mt base with a good driver will outrun a 5at TL-S in a straight line.

Handling wise you're going to have a hard time feeling a difference between an '04-'06 6mt base and TL-S. Sure, there is a difference but it's not much.

The '07-'08 base models got softer springs and shocks.

The base 6mt models get the same Brembo brakes as the TL-S.

An a-spec 6mt base will out-corner and outrun a 5at TL-S.

My thinking is this:

If you plan on leaving it stock it's a no-brainer, buy the TL-S. It's slightly superior in every way except for the rims lol.

If you can't leave it stock like many of us, it's a draw. In the handling department, you're just a rear swaybar and cheap spring set away from better than stock TL-S handling.

If you plan on power mods and keeping it normally aspirated, the TL-S starts higher and will respond slightly better to mods. If you go the new turbo route, power is more plentiful than traction and transmission longevity for both models with well over 400whp available with no other mods.

Before anyone says I'm biased, if the TL-S were available in '06 when I bought mine I would gotten it hands down. However none of the original suspension or brake components would remain.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:35 AM
1st Gear

wow...alot of good info here. I was just going start a thread just like this one except i'm coming from a 02 maxima se. I have seen lots of pics of the TL Type-s and i like what i see and what i have read.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
go with certified pre-owned...my car had 19,080 miles and i got new brakes, and 4 brand new tires....just sayin
Old 03-09-2010, 09:28 PM
07 ASM TL-S

Update......just drove home my new car:

CPO / 07 TL-Type S / 31,300 miles / Alabaster Silver Metallic / Ebony interior / 6MT.

Sticker Price: $28k / Internet "Special" Price: $26k

Final Selling price: $24k

Also purchased the Extended Warranty Contract ($1,700) & Road Hazzard Program ($333).

Total Out the Door (taxes, tags, title, registration): $27k

Not too bad.......right?

Switching from my BMW 07 335i 6MT, IS very different, but I must say that I'm going to enjoy driving this car, very happy with my decision.

I'll be checking out this site often and look forward to "chatting" with fellow Type-S owners in the future!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
If you drive a 335i 6mt, I would definitely get a Type-S. Why? Because that car (335i), I know, is quick, and the base TL will seem super sluggish. Also, what are the uses for the TL and the Bimmer? Is the TL a daily and the bimmer a "for fun" car, or vice versa? If the TL is a daily, I would opt for a 08 TL, if for something you wanna mod, I would get a Type-S. Hope this helps
Old 03-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by Kid Fresh
Update......just drove home my new car:

CPO / 07 TL-Type S / 31,300 miles / Alabaster Silver Metallic / Ebony interior / 6MT.

Sticker Price: $28k / Internet "Special" Price: $26k

Final Selling price: $24k

Also purchased the Extended Warranty Contract ($1,700) & Road Hazzard Program ($333).

Total Out the Door (taxes, tags, title, registration): $27k

Not too bad.......right?

Switching from my BMW 07 335i 6MT, IS very different, but I must say that I'm going to enjoy driving this car, very happy with my decision.

I'll be checking out this site often and look forward to "chatting" with fellow Type-S owners in the future!

Kid, congrats on your purchase and welcome to Acurazine. I've debated over and over about the Type S wheels. I finally decided that the honeycomb wheels "SAY" Type S! For me, it's part of what makes the Type S the car it is. You can identify the Type S by the wheels.

I too owned a 5 Series BMW (535i). Loved the car, but it nickeled and dimed me to death. I had to get out of the car before I went broke!

Anyway, be sure to join our Silver TL Social Group at:

https://acurazine.com/forums/groups/asm-ssm-tls-59/

And our Type S Social Group at:

https://acurazine.com/forums/groups/type-s-social-group-74/
Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Congratz. My next car is a M3, but realistically a Type-S. I love the TL.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
OP, nice deal and with warranty that's a wrap! You will really enjoy the TL-S
Old 03-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why not just upgrade to the 5 series or buy and extended warrantee for your 335? It much superior to the TL / TL-S. IMHO the 535 owns the TL and TL-S in terms of price/performance/prestige.

How much are you looking to get for the 335 BTW? You wont get much for it. The next gen is about to come out.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
opps too late. :+(

hope you aren't dissappointed.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
I recommend a TL type-s, but not in the automatic transmission. The auto on the '07-'08 TL type-s fails to do justice to the engine's capabilities. However, if your only options are the three listed, I suggest you go with the type-s. Watch out for transmission problems... it is a V6 honda afterall =P
Old 03-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Racer

you guys/gals wouldnt go from an '05 TL to an '08 Type S TL? im looking to upgrade my car in the near future and an '08 Type S TL is on the list along with an IS250/350.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Jimi, I sure as heck would upgrade to a Type S!!! I'm sure Lexus is a good car, but you'll get a lot more car for your money with a Type S. In my opinion, you pay a lot for the Lexus name. Plus, you'll have a lot more interior room in the Type S.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Kid Fresh
I thoroughly enjoy my 335i, and would love to keep it for another 50k miles, but Like Brad E said, the potential for very costly repairs down the line is a risky gamble. Prime example: The Fuel Injectors (major component of the N54 engine) will need replacing at some point after 50K miles. Full retail is $550 each, parts (x6) plus labor could run $3500....and that's just one component that could go wrong (warranties....that's a whole nother can of worms).

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way here to bash BMW, I know firsthand why they're the "Ultimate Driving Machine", but I'm deciding to go with my head (practical) and not my heart.
Kid, I know where you're coming from. I had a 2001 Audi A4 that was one of the best driving cars I've ever owned. Slickest 6MT I ever ran through the gears. Shifted like butter at redline... That said, I traded it because the car spent so much time in the shop, I was on a first-name basis w/ the service advisor. The worse part was that I knew from the Audi forums that there were ticking (engine-related) time bombs waiting for me out of warranty. Since Audi obviously knew about these "issues", they priced their extended warranties accordingly. No such engine-related issues with the TL!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JimiThng
you guys/gals wouldnt go from an '05 TL to an '08 Type S TL? im looking to upgrade my car in the near future and an '08 Type S TL is on the list along with an IS250/350.
Go drive the IS, if you ever have more than 2 people in the car, it's not much of an option, IMO. The rear seats aren't even useable unless you are under 10 years old.

The front isn't much better if you are over 5'9" or so. The IS is very, very cramped inside. A TL interior looks huge compared to an IS.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
A 6mt base with a good driver will outrun a 5at TL-S in a straight line.
+1

Ironically, I did the same around 5:57am this morning.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome aboard! You may miss the close personal relationship with the service department you enjoyed with your BMW, but you can't have everything!