+2
+3
Old 12-01-2007, 07:56 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-01-2007, 08:05 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd consider yourself darn lucky. That light pole to the right wouldn't have been near as forgiving. Luckily it was a relatively small curb as well.

Nice slicks... Wasn't due to the VSA at all, rather your tires are shot...

- Your well into the non-legal limit regarding the wear bars...

I wouldn't run those on my neighbors kids wagon ...
Old 12-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let us know when you test the airbags
Old 12-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Luckily it was a relatively small curb.

Nice slicks... Wasn't due to the VSA at all, rather your tires are shot...

- Your well into the non-legal limit regarding the wear bars...

I wouldn't run those on my neighbors kids wagon ...
+1
We have a winner!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:27 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by vincethe1
yea, the parking lot thing was at another time and nothing happend there...and i did admit my mistake for not getting used to the vsa first...but what it did in a short story is that i started taking the turn (remeber it was very wet, and my tires are very worn out), and it started kilidng a little, so the vsa saw that as a potential threat and started to apply breaks to correct me....now we all know a tire has only so much traction, it can use it to steer, break, or accelerate....at the moment the tire was using all it's traction to steer, when the breaks were applyed by the vsa the tire started using a good amount of the traction to brake, and so the traction used for the steering greatly decreased...and that's what caused the understeer, simple physics...that's why in racing, the rules are to always brake before the turn, and let the car freely glide through it, if it was rwd then you could add some power too because that's the back wheels and the front are still using their traction to steer...my mistake and downfall is that i didn't apply the breaks, but kind of ignored the fact that the vsa would.

floor a fwd through a corner, it'll start understeering, break, the same will happen. simple physics, a tire cannot suddenly get a burst of traction, it has to balance what it has.

as i said, VSA is a good system, but there is a reason honda put a big VSA OFF shitch right there.

btw no problem bro, everyone's got an opinon, and i don't take anything personal from someone i don't know anyways....no point of that.
How can you explain how lack of traction caused this, explain how your tires were shot, and then come to the conclusion that VSA caused this?
Old 12-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tires are as bald as neo nazi's head

thats your answer.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:31 PM
3.2 VTEC

wow....you guys have the answer for everything..you see worn tires and you say, that's it.

thing is that no matter how worn a tire is, it still has traction, it doesn't suddently become an ice block

i was sliding around for about an hour before that because i know i'm gonna change them soon so why no wear them off a little more...

simple physics will show that if i was going WAY too fast for that corner, i wouldn't of been able to actually stop that early would i???

what vsa did is concentrate on stopping me and not on taking the turn. yes my tires are worn, but they're not that worn that i run straight on into a corner....

noone has to beleive me eather..i don't care, but i know the tires are not to blame for this one.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Pro

How long have you been driving with those suicidal tires? Which station on this planet did you go to for safety inspection?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:40 PM
3.2 VTEC

seriously, you can see how low speed that corner was judging by how fast i stopped once things went wrong...

lol i think it's time for this tread to get locked as well....it's going down due to ranters that are older than me and therefore think they know all, yes i meade a mistake, and yes i would have taken that turn with vsa off because i have been driving around that same exact corner for like 1/2 an hour....i wudn't suddenly go mad and fly out out of nowhere.

applying breaks through a turn causes understeer, i don't care who you are that's not an arguable statement, it's a fact of physics that noone can change....vsa applyed breaks, and i did after too to slow down before i hit that tree, again if i was going too fast for the turn ofiginally i wud of been way past that tree and into the house.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:50 PM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by kenny5
How long have you been driving with those suicidal tires? Which station on this planet did you go to for safety inspection?
i'm taking my car to the dealer for tires and an oil chang when it comes time for the oil change.....i'm at 20-30% now so in about a week i'll change them.

i drie to work and back in them about 20 miles each way almost every day, highway and everythnig, there's no problem with the tires and they still provide better traction then nesissary even for spitited driving on dry, mabe not in the wet but that is why i'm always careful and would never turn on vsa again....sliding around for an hour, and than a single turn with vsa, my 1st turn, and this happens... i know the limits of my bald tires but i sure as heck did't expect what vsa threw at me, would this of happend if i had better tires, probably not becasue the better tires would have enough traction to accomidate for vsa's breaking, but these didn't.

so i am changing them soon, but i definatly don't blame it on the tires themselves.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:00 PM
3.2 VTEC

judging from the 1st pic, what kind of understeer is this? it's not understeer, it's basically nosteer casued by vsa slamming on the breaks, speed was so low that i don't care what, the car wud of taken that turn with it off, but it decided to stop and turn rather than just turn.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:55 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
i'm taking my car to the dealer for tires and an oil chang when it comes time for the oil change.....i'm at 20-30% now so in about a week i'll change them.

i drie to work and back in them about 20 miles each way almost every day, highway and everythnig, there's no problem with the tires and they still provide better traction then nesissary even for spitited driving on dry, mabe not in the wet but that is why i'm always careful and would never turn on vsa again....sliding around for an hour, and than a single turn with vsa, my 1st turn, and this happens... i know the limits of my bald tires but i sure as heck did't expect what vsa threw at me, would this of happend if i had better tires, probably not becasue the better tires would have enough traction to accomidate for vsa's breaking, but these didn't.

so i am changing them soon, but i definatly don't blame it on the tires themselves.
Like we said. Bad tires. quit your whining, you dont have to have the last (10) words.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ib18c1
lol...u said lol in ur title...
but yeah, ive always turned my VSA off while canyon running, with it on, it's just like applying the brakes while turning, steering wont budge!

glad your ok....now that you have tested it...hopefully u wont do it again

lol, I read the title and saw the lol, and then I lol'ed.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:36 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
l.... because when you apply breaks in a turn in the rain like that, even at low speed the car will start oversteering excessivly...

applying breaks through a turn causes understeer, i don't care who you are that's not an arguable statement ....

So, which is it?

but i definatly don't blame it on the tires themselves.

Niether does anybody else. The driver F'd up. The tires just made it easier for the driver to F#ck up.

The only reason you're getting so much crap is because you insist that everything the happened was the car's fault, not yours. Your car, your bald tires, your poor judgement but not your fault? Simple question: Who was driving? That's who's fault it is. Period.

If the only the only thing you learn from this is not to turn VSA on, you'll be getting another lesson sooner or later .... possibly a much more serious lesson.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:59 AM
Racer

This incident was caused by driver error with tires that should have already been replaced.

Here is a quote from a review on the VSA system.

"The anti-skid system, which Acura calls Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA), seems tuned to work in harmony with enthusiastic drivers instead of thwarting them. In corners taken so fast that the car otherwise would have left the road, VSA intervened gently, using a front brake to pivot the car around as the driver intended. Other cars use similar techniques but intrude more harshly, increasing driver anxiety just when the pilot needs to be coolest.

And the traction-control portion of VSA allows some wheelspin if you nail the gas from standstill. That's far more driver-oriented than you typically get. It allows faster starts, brisker cornering, more control on slick roads (because the system's not constantly trying to halt the car when wheels spin)."
Old 12-02-2007, 08:27 AM
WDP Director of R & D

I normally don't like to get involved with this type of thread - they do turn into a bash the OP party.

Sorry Vincethe1,
Your pictures "do" speak a thousand words and not that I am some form of curb hopping CSI guy but your turn entry and tires were 100% to blame. No way could one "rate" under or over-steer when seeing the condition of your tires.
VSA, not that it was the problem, works off of the logic that it will do it's part and your tires will perform theirs. Your bald tires, especially on wet surfaces have absolutely no traction beyond the static weight of the vehicle. When you "tossed" the vehicle into the turn, the front wheels immediately lost traction and the vehicle went straight ahead. I can tell that from the angle of your "rock slide"...

As you're planning, get some good tires on your TL and enjoy some safety.
I commend you for "testing" the car with VSA on and off. But numerous professional tests have proven that leaving the VSA on is your best defense unless performing straight line acceleration etc..

Good luck - and glad you and car are OK.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by bmaczo6
Let us know when you test the airbags
the best reply in the thread, it made me laugh
Old 12-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Racer

Did I read this right? Was this a true, unavoidable accident, or did you do this for fun?

It had been raining so you decided it would be a GOOD idea to recklessly drive around what looks like a residential neighbornood and "spin your wheels" with an important safety feature of your car turned off <i>for fun</i>? Then you posted about it on Acurazine and about how your Acura apparently improperly tried to correct your skid.

What part of this experience would you really consider driving in a "civilized manner"? What you did was dangerous and, frankly, very stupid.

And you're certainly not the only person on Acurazine to do things like this. So I'm not chastizing anyone in particular.

Don't get me wrong... I'm glad that you weren't hurt and that no innocent people nearby were injured. And I'm glad that the only damage sustained was some minor damage to a tree and what is probably some minor but costly damage to your TL. But we should all think twice before doing crap like this and when we do, certainly think three times before telling everyone about it in an open forum.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:29 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Ok, wow. I'm going to limit my response to this

I have a crack in my front bumper cover in the exact same location as you have one. Although mine was from someone backing into me.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:30 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

then again i never actually stated being a good driver, how can i when i just told you i hit a tree, the image goes down the drain, but i don't care cuz i know what i'm capable of and one mess up in the past 1000s of times i've went out in the rain is a mistake that i actually learned something from.

And I thought this was a pretty good concession.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
VSA is a very good system for the average driver (moms, grandmas, ppl that drive conservatively) .....it's not for ppl who know what they're doing
Just to clue you in: People who know what they are doing don't hop curbs & crash into trees on bald tires in a subdivision.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lusid
I would have never posted this. ....
+1
Old 12-02-2007, 02:24 PM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
So, which is it?

Niether does anybody else. The driver F'd up. The tires just made it easier for the driver to F#ck up.

The only reason you're getting so much crap is because you insist that everything the happened was the car's fault, not yours. Your car, your bald tires, your poor judgement but not your fault? Simple question: Who was driving? That's who's fault it is. Period.

If the only the only thing you learn from this is not to turn VSA on, you'll be getting another lesson sooner or later .... possibly a much more serious lesson.
am, i said it was my fault to begin with, and it's more the vsa than the tires
Old 12-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Sounds like you need to try out autocross racing. I have seen many people from work talk about how good a driver they are and how well they can control their cars. After the first race they quickly learn they are not as good as they though they were but they end up having fun and keep comming back. After a few races they learn real car control and truely get better. I know, 20 years ago read all the competitive driving books and did every effort to be the best driver out there but I did not really learn how fully control the car until I started autocrossing. The timer at the autocross does not lie and I know I am a much better driver than I used to be 20 years ago when I thought I realy knew how to drive a car.

True, during my runs I turn the VSA off since the best times are made by running at the limmit and the system will not let you stay there. On the streets I always keep it on since it is the best safety system on the car.

With a good set of tires it realy does work as advertised. I have made a few autocross runs with it on and and it does minimize understeer and oversteer.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:34 PM
3.2 VTEC

apparently what was supposed to be a humorous post with some useful information has tunrned mostly into a bashing thread....

and i really don't care
Old 12-02-2007, 02:39 PM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Just to clue you in: People who know what they are doing don't hop curbs & crash into trees on bald tires in a subdivision.
let's just say it's 1 in a million.....that 1 would be the corner i take with vsa on.

lol

i know noone here can convince me it's not anything but the vsa in this situation, since i've past that corner atleast 10 times b4, and mabe you don't beleive me but i did the same thing as before, that is try to slide the car through the turn as usual, and the vsa's job is to correct oversteer, so it did exactly that...= my outcome, i.m speaking from experience now lol

vsa didn't let my car slide sideways, THAT'S IT'S JOB, so it straightend me out into a tree....that's all that happend...

as i've said before, it's not the vsa's job, it did it's job perfectly well, it was my fault for not accomidating for the vsa and acting the same was as i would if it had been off.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Intermediate

im going to refrain from bashing since about everything that can be said has been. just glad your ok and the damage wasnt worse. my friend backed into my bumper before but there was absolutly no damage, they are rated for 5 mile an hour impacts which is better than alot of cars.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:47 PM
3.2 VTEC

as i've said before, it's not the vsa's job, it did it's job perfectly well, it was my fault for not accomidating for the vsa and acting the same was as i would if it had been off.

vsa is a very good system for helping you out in an emergency situation....it has before on my 02 TL-S, but it's not made for people delibratly trying to loose traction....if you want to have a baby, why wud u use a condom? same deal, if you want to slide around, why used vsa, that's the antidote for sliding.

it's completely my fault for trying stupid shit with it on
Old 12-02-2007, 02:50 PM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by Burgman
Sounds like you need to try out autocross racing. I have seen many people from work talk about how good a driver they are and how well they can control their cars. After the first race they quickly learn they are not as good as they though they were but they end up having fun and keep comming back. After a few races they learn real car control and truely get better. I know, 20 years ago read all the competitive driving books and did every effort to be the best driver out there but I did not really learn how fully control the car until I started autocrossing. The timer at the autocross does not lie and I know I am a much better driver than I used to be 20 years ago when I thought I realy knew how to drive a car.

True, during my runs I turn the VSA off since the best times are made by running at the limmit and the system will not let you stay there. On the streets I always keep it on since it is the best safety system on the car.

With a good set of tires it realy does work as advertised. I have made a few autocross runs with it on and and it does minimize understeer and oversteer.
and i agree with you, vsa has it's goods, but as any system, has some bads too...and i got the wrong end of it.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:52 PM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by Johnnyb380
im going to refrain from bashing since about everything that can be said has been. just glad your ok and the damage wasnt worse. my friend backed into my bumper before but there was absolutly no damage, they are rated for 5 mile an hour impacts which is better than alot of cars.
yea man i thought the damage was gonna be a lot worse from the sound and feel of the hit, but when i got out i cudn't beleived i didn't see a single scratch on my car...until i looked really close and saw the crack, that sucked but hey, i was expecting a dent so it's a lot better.

my impact was less than 5mph but it just got it in a spot that it'll crack.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:31 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it's completely my fault for trying stupid shit.
I don't view these comments as bashing...just my thoughts...

I think it can be said at this point that regardless of what you think caused the accident, that it never would have happened in the first place if you weren't out doing stupid shit. Period.

I personally think (and my opinion counts because you posted in a public forum, therefore soliciting it) you are crazy for driving your TL like that as it is not a stunt car or race car. Even if you don't care that you did it or damaged it. There's other stuff that you could have done with the repair money right? That is something that is inarguable. Glad the damage was minimal.

In the future, if you don't want to hear what others think about your actions, why put them in a public forum? You are bound to get some reactions that are not of the type you intended to receive originally. Much like your driving, you only can control the takeoff...not the landing, when it comes to what you say and how people respond to it.

In an earlier thread, I wrote that older folks should not bash on younger guys when they do something they think they shouldn't have done, or is considered stupid. Rather, they should try to help them understand the error of their ways so they won't do it again, and maybe cause considerable harm to themselves or to others. But at the same time, I don't think you should totally disregard the opinion of others who are trying to help you because you have a pre-disposition about their age as well (read: they only think they know more because they are older than me - especially since no one really took that position in this argument).

I hope, unless Acura hires you as a tester, that the lesson learned is that:

I should not have been out there in a residential neighborhood or otherwise trying this...

-INSTEAD OF-

Next time, I know not to do this or that while doing the same stunt.

Good luck with getting your NBP repaired to your liking and please try to be smart out there!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Admiral Crunch

Poor tree.

Get some new tires.

Be careful ya dummy. Ya only have one life.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:17 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Dummy lol
Old 12-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Drifting

Quote: "since i've past that corner atleast 10 times b4, and mabe you don't beleive me but i did the same thing as before, that is try to slide the car through the turn as usual, and the vsa's job is to correct oversteer, so it did exactly that...= my outcome, i.m speaking from experience now"

It's fruitless to argue with a moron. Not only did this idiot drive too fast in a residential neighborhood, with bald tires, he said he tried to slide thru that same turn as usual...possibly 10 times previously. Kid...it's that 1 in 10 that got you!! YOU ARE DANGEROUS....I hope you don't slide around a corner someday and hit some kid you never saw playing on the sidewalk. Don't bother to tell me how carefull you look, and how good your eyes are, shit happens dude. I guess when you get new tires....you'll have to test those too.....gotta find out what they are gonna do to huh? Continue driving like this and you won't have your TL long...I just hope you don't kill someone first. You'll loose your drivers license someday...trust me!!
Old 12-02-2007, 06:45 PM
WDP Director of R & D

This is why I don't respond to many of these threads. Most of you guys - of all ages, judge this kid for doing something that you/most of us do daily.

He took a corner at 15, maybe 20mph and slid into a curb/tree. Sure the way he described his evening of "driving" sounded stupid/childish, but what resulted in him hitting the tree is something many of you chat about all the time - spirited driving. It wasn't some hideous, stupid, crazy, reckless maneuver...
When you're done judging him think about it - It was a 15 mph corner in the rain with bald tires. Nothing more. Could he have hurt or killed someone? Sure, but think about some of the places/driving you have done in the past/present. Luck and Gods grace has much to do with what does or could have happened - be thankful for that.

I'll guarantee if that's all I did when I was his age, I would have been a driving saint and my folks would have slept more hours each night...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS all!!
Old 12-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Drifting

I'd never take a 90degree corner in a residential neighborhood at 20mph in the rain with bald tires. Maybe I'd do it in the desert on good tires.

Time to close this thread.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 07:29 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by JetJock
I'd never take a 90degree corner in a residential neighborhood at 20mph in the rain with bald tires. Maybe I'd do it in the desert on good tires.

Time to close this thread.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!
True, most of us wouldn't be driving on tires like that period let alone attempt a faster than normal turn with them. From his statements, I truly don't believe he was remotely thinking his tires would hold differently wet than they had dry (while bald). If he had been, I doubt he would have placed his TL, or anyone else for that matter, at risk etc...

Cheers Jetlock
Old 12-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
It wasn't some hideous, stupid, crazy, reckless maneuver...
When you're done judging him think about it - It was a 15 mph corner in the rain with bald tires. Nothing more.
Yes, it was a stupid, crazy, reckless manuever. You forgot that he was trying to induce a skid. He was not simply taking a turn to fast with bald tires.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 PM
3.2 VTEC

yet again, it's prolly cuz u don't read half the stuff i write...but i can' blame you for that, 20mph on that corner is not too fast in the rain since i had taken it before, but 20mph is too fast if you decide not to take the turn and try to stop before you hit the curb.

yes it was a mistake, yes i knew i wud get bashed by people on a public forum...all i tried to warn you is that vsa could cause excessive understeer, in the rain, with bald tires due to it's applying of the breaks. To whoever took taht in consideration, good job, to whoever completely ignored that and went on teaching me life lessons, it's your choice.

eather way it doesn't matter, i was sliding around in the rain, and my judgement was not accurate for vsa, i've driven in snow quite a few times while tossing the car sideways in every turn, it's not that hard to control a car out of a simple skid...it's ofcourse harder to have 100% control of your car when a computer is messing with you.

that's all i have to say really.

happy holidays to all, dare i say...merry chrismas hehe...(hope i havn't offended any1)

Quick Reply: Crashed My TL, Understeered into a tree lol