Craftsman Garage Opener w/rolling code

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004 | 03:40 PM
Racer

Craftsman Garage Opener w/rolling code

OK...Let me first say that I have tried EVERYTHING here and still cannot get this home link to work! UGH!

I have a craftsman garage door opener with a rolling code. So I pressed the button on the master unit until it was lit. I then (within 30 seconds) have pressed the first HOMELINK button and held it waiting for the light on the opener to flash...nothing. I then tried doing what Acura says which is to press and hold it 3-4 times for 3-4 seconds each. That doesn't work either. Then I tried it the other way by holding the handheld remote 3-5 inches away and programming it that way. Didn't work either.

Any ideas???
Old 04-29-2004 | 03:58 PM
Team NBP Member

I don't know but maybe it's in the order you programmed it.

First, I programmed the Homelink with the remote and then (w/o resetting the homelink) I did the button on the master unit.
Old 04-29-2004 | 04:07 PM
Team Anthracite Member

yep. it was a pain in the butt. Use the Quick setup book I think it has an extra step that the manual does not. Clear all three buttons, then I think you first hold your remote for garage up to homelink in car while pushing the desired button on homelink press the button on the remote for the door you want to program - you'll get a beep or flash I forget. Then scamper out to the craftman, press the button on the back and then scamper back to car and press the button on homelink. that should do it. I subbed my wife instead of me scampering back and forth. Good luck,
bottom line - it works great - so don't give up.

Originally Posted by fishacura
OK...Let me first say that I have tried EVERYTHING here and still cannot get this home link to work! UGH!

I have a craftsman garage door opener with a rolling code. So I pressed the button on the master unit until it was lit. I then (within 30 seconds) have pressed the first HOMELINK button and held it waiting for the light on the opener to flash...nothing. I then tried doing what Acura says which is to press and hold it 3-4 times for 3-4 seconds each. That doesn't work either. Then I tried it the other way by holding the handheld remote 3-5 inches away and programming it that way. Didn't work either.

Any ideas???
Old 04-29-2004 | 04:09 PM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by detroi_TL
I don't know but maybe it's in the order you programmed it.

First, I programmed the Homelink with the remote and then (w/o resetting the homelink) I did the button on the master unit.

I have a rolling code craftsman too...the instructions above are correct...program to the remote first, then to the opener unit
Old 04-29-2004 | 04:10 PM
Racer

i have the same craftsman opener, do what everyone else is saying:
- clear the code
- use the remote to program it per the owners manual
- press the program button on the opener and then press the homelink button until the lights flash per the owners manual
Old 04-29-2004 | 04:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ibeplato
i have the same craftsman opener, do what everyone else is saying:
- clear the code
- use the remote to program it per the owners manual
- press the program button on the opener and then press the homelink button until the lights flash per the owners manual

Ditto. Worked for me.

derscott
Old 04-29-2004 | 06:18 PM
Team Anthracite Member

craftsman has a small monopoly with these things...
Old 04-29-2004 | 06:29 PM
10th Gear

That manual drove me craaaaaazy...trying to figure out how to program that Homelink sucker with the rolling code opener.

Instead of using subtopic titles like "setting up the remote transponder to interlink with the master core code skipper" (ok, so i'm exaggerating, but this is my rant)

HOw hard would it have been to say : A. IF you have a rolling code opener, do this:

1. point the remote at the homelink buttons....
2. etc. etc.

haha...ok, i'll have some cheese with that whine
Old 04-29-2004 | 06:45 PM
Racer

Thanks!

OK...Thanks for all the guidance. Here is what I had to do:

1. Unplug the main unit
2. Hold the remote 2 inches from homelink and press the remote button and homelink button at the same time (even though it is a rolling code unit you have to do this...AND the unit MUST be unplugged)
3. Light will blink
4. Plug main unit back in
5. Press program button on main unit.
6. Go back to car and press and hold homelink button until it blinks (do not press and release 3-4 times like the manual says)

That's it...and it worked. This should probably be a sticky topic!!!
Old 04-29-2004 | 07:37 PM
never stops!

What fishacura says. I had to unplug the unit too. Worked alright.
Old 05-03-2004 | 06:53 PM
4th Gear

Stupid Question:

But when you said unplug the main unit, do you mean the power plug? or the line to the garage door so that it doesn't damage the motor when you first program your Homelink with the remote. And if you unplug the power cord to the opener, will it erase your remote?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2004 | 08:09 PM
Cruisin'

You only need to unplug the power to your garage door opener if you are programming the Homelink with your garage remote near the garage door. I just programmed the Homelink first with the remote away from my home. I then went home and did the rest to link it with the opener. The only reason you need to unplug the opener is so your garage door doesn't open and close incessantly when programming!
Old 05-04-2004 | 07:14 AM
Team Anthracite Member

you can leave it plugged in if you want - no biggie...door just went up. no prob.
Old 05-04-2004 | 08:26 AM
Instructor

Wow, that's some crazy probs. I have a Craftsman (w/ rolling code) as well, but all I did to program my homelink was:

1) Push the red program button on the main garage unit (don't hold it, just push it and let go)
2) hold in the homelink button on the acura for 3 - 4 seconds.

That's it. No need to unplug anything or reset anything. Process takes about 10 seconds (including time going up/down the ladder).

* My garage door opening is about 2 months old as well.. do you think this is why my experiences were different?
Old 05-04-2004 | 10:14 AM
Pro

Depending on the Craftsman opener you have, you don't have to go to the hassle of unplugging the opener. Just press the "Lock" button on the wall control, if you have that feature, it has the same effect of keeping the door from opening.

Unplugging the unit isn't necessary, doing that just keeps the door from cycling while you're setting the Homelink program button inside the car.

It's really just a two part process. Programming the Homelink button with your transmitter. Then getting the receiver to recognize the Homelink button.

The only time you need to press the two outside buttons to clear the codes is the first time you program the Homelink or if you want to totally clear all the button programs. Otherwise you can just program/reprogram an individual button at will.

The manual does over complicate the process.
Old 05-04-2004 | 10:17 AM
User Registered

I have a Wayne Dalton garage opener and it just sucks. I tried all those methods. It still won't program to the remote or opener.

Did I mention that the remote goes into programming mode itself after ten seconds? It sucks.

Been to both Homelink's and the Wayne Dalton website... I still don't have an operable homelinked car.

Old 06-03-2012 | 09:24 AM
Intermediate

Lightbulb

Bringing this thread back from the dead! Trying to program the homelink in my 07 TL to my Craftsman garage door opener was driving me effing cRaZY! I must have followed the instructions from the TL manual, from the posts above, and from homelink.com 30+ times!

The red homelink light on my car would never blink quickly, it would only blink slowly. MY homelink would never get properly programmed from my Craftsman handheld remote. Finally figured out the problem.

The instructions say to hold the Craftsman remote 1-3 feet away from the homelink receiver and hold down both the homelink and the garage door remote buttons at the same time.

Don't know if I have weak batteries in my garage door remote, but I FINALLY HAD SUCCESS when I held the garge door remote about 3 INCHES away from the homelink buttons. I was able to finish the programming by pressing the learn button on the garage door opener itself and then the homelink button within the 30 second window.

I know this thread is 8 years old, just hoping I can save someone else's time and frustrations out there.
Old 06-03-2012 | 12:46 PM
Race Director

FYI, Homelink has a complete list of programming instructions found here:

http://www.homelink.com/program
Old 06-03-2012 | 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Some garages just don't work, I've program two previous garage doors without any problems, then I tried to do it on my current one, tried the rolling code and remote capture method, no-go.
Old 06-03-2012 | 01:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Did you press the 'learn' button on the side of door opener unit - the motor part that hans in the garage?
Old 06-03-2012 | 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Did you press the 'learn' button on the side of door opener unit - the motor part that hans in the garage?
Yup.. I was able to program an extra remote for the garage without any problems using the learn button, but on the TL, nope.