Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked my front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:17 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked my front bumper

I cracked the lower bumper cover on a concrete block in a parking lot that was protecting some pipes. If the block wasn't there, I would have made the turn. Anyways, I need to get the front bumper cover replaced. I have a '06 silver TL.

I was quoted $650.00 for the whole repair which includes a new bumper and paint yesterday. Today, the shop called me and told me that they need to "blend" the paint by sanding the clear coat off a quarter of the two front fenders. This "blending" will cost another $140.00. The guy on the phone told me that they recommend the blending because the color MAY not match perfectly, and the only way to ensure it matching is by "blending".

Is blending the paint a necessary procedure to match the colors? I'm leary about having them do something to the fenders when there isn't anything wrong with them. If the paint isn't correct, won't it create an even bigger area of difference by them painting more?

Does blending really ensure that there won't be a difference in the paint?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:05 PM
I LOVE MY TL

if i am you i would order a new bumper from acura and get it installed since it color match soo you dont have to worry about blend this blend that.....650 for bumper replace which is new and color spray to match...to me its not worth it,,when you get it fix you will look close at it and see that your front bumper is different from the rest because its man spray not machine..why you let they touch somthing that doesnt need to be done?it just a bumper fix not a fender bender....but anyways goodluck

and yes blending really make it color match but its not 100% same ..
the more they fix the more money you will spend on things that doesnt make sense of them touching to begin with
Old 11-01-2006, 09:29 PM
7th Gear

The shop told me that all bumpers are shipped unpainted (black). It will be an original Acura bumper that the shop needs to paint. The color code for the paint is on a sticker in the door jamb.

I think that I will tell the shop to not blend the paint. I will see how it looks first, and if the color is not right, I will have it blended later.

Can I install the clearbra on the bumper the day after I get the car back? I had a clearbra already, but now it needs to be replaced.

Thanks,
Chowder
Old 11-01-2006, 09:36 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I'd hold off on putting the clear bra on the day you get it back. Most shops want you to wait about 30 days before you apply anything to the newly painted area.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:29 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$650 sounds reasonable. The bumper cover itself is about $275-300 plus paint and an hour or two to R&R it. I would avoid blending into the fenders. A good shop should be able to get the bumper as least as close to the color of the rest of the car as it was from the factory. Remember, on almost every one of our cars the front and rear bumpers do not match the rest of the car perfectly. It will probably be better after it is painted. If you have them go into the fenders you could have additional orange peel that you didn't have before. Why risk it?