Sponsored by:

A couple oil questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 01:05 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A couple oil questions...

Sorry if this is a repost. I did a quick search, and didn't find an answer to my exact questions, so...

Basically, I went to set up my first A1 service with my local dealer (The only Acura dealer within a couple hundred miles). They want to charge me about $110. At first, I didn't think he was serious, but unfortunately, he was. I asked him why an oil change and tire rotation warranted such a high price tag, and he stated that they only use synthetic oil, which bumps up the oil change to $50+, and that they always do a tire balance with rotation, which bumps that up to $45 or so... with tax, this comes to about $110.

Still seems pretty high to me, so I checked out this tire center where I usually buy my tires. They'll slap a lifetime (according to tire tread) road hazard with rotation and balance on the factory originals for about $45. In other words, I'd pay for the first rotation and balance at the dealer price, then the rest would be free... plus I get the added benefit of a road hazard warranty.

Anyhoo, on to my question. This same tire center also does oil changes. Their price is $25, which includes all the "inspection" and "fluid level" checks you'd expect with a good oil change. Also, for that price, they use Kendall GT1 oil (supposedly, a synthetic blend). I have no experience with this product. Is it good oil for my TL? Should I tell the dealer where to shove their $110 A1 service, and have this tire place do it? Pros? Cons? Random thoughts?
Old 01-31-2005, 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
The tire place can do it, just read the manual on how to reset the MID, its not hard.
Your dealer's price is definetly highway robbery, the dealer I go to uses a synth blend and their oil change is $25-30
Old 01-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ah the 110.00 oil change

Depending on how you drive, this is a waste of coin... Get your oil change and rotate tires once a year.

All my life I have only done something when it really needed it. The tires being rotated at their 1/2 life was always fine. This means I would rotate them (maybe)once a year. I would drive maybe two years on the tires (40,000 miles) and only rotate them once. Form the sounds of it, those EL42s will be off the car before you long anyway. Do not waste the cash on tire rotation.

Worry more about fluids and filters than tires.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
JT3,
I'm cheap myself, so here is my advice on how to save yourself a few bucks:

Tire Rotation- Rotate your tires at least every 7-10K. Its possible that they could give you better handling, but don't hold me to that. If your an AAA Member, drive to your local BigO Tires and they'll give you a free tire rotation for AAA Members. Just make sure you call in advance to make sure.

Oil/Filter Change- DO IT YOURSELF! I seriously don't trust the techs at tire centers, they probably do a lousy job and use filters of questionable quality and Marvel Mystery Bulk Oil, even though they say its Kendall. Who knows what it is.
Just use Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend at $1.42/quart at Walmart, and a Supertech filter. The Supertech Filters offer you the best bang for your buck and are constructed much better than Frams, or the Fram produced Honda O.E. Filters. Right now, the Exxon Superflo 5W-20 (Honda O.E. oil is this stuff repackaged) is onsale for $1.09/quart with Case Purchase at Autozone. Don't miss out on this deal, this stuff pairs very well with Honda Engines. If you want a better filter, give the Purolator Premium Plus, PureOne, or Mobil 1 Filters a look.

Michael
Old 01-31-2005, 02:07 PM
yo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my car to a jiffy lube one day because i was pressed for time. next oil change, i notice that the oil is thicker, kinda slow flowing. Also, my oil filter was white, with no brand or anything. My baby isn't going back to mr.lube again, i'd rather run it past the miles until i can give it my R & R.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:17 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I do understand that doing it myself would be the cheapest. I used to change my own oil, but I stopped for various reasons:
1. Around here, most places charge for oil disposal. That charge, along with the cost of the oil and filter usually end up within $5.00 or so of having someone else do it.
2. I'm lazy, and $5.00 seems a small price to pay to get out of work... j/k... seriously though, I'm one of those workaholic types that find it hard to find a spare minute to spend with my family, much less spend it in the garage changing oil.
3. If I do something stupid like not tighten the filter correctly, or leave off the oil plug, and my engine explodes, I'm screwed. If a mechanic does it, they're screwed, not me.

Simply put... When there is a HUGE price difference, I'll do the maintenance myself (such as changing brake pads), but for the $5.00 or so that I'd save on an oil change, I'd quite honestly rather spend the bucks and have someone else do it. If I get the lifetime rotation and balance I talked about, FUTURE A1 services would be $25, as opposed to $110 at the dealer. That's a difference I can't ignore. $20 and an hour of so of my time, compared to $25 and someone else's time, I can handle.

My MAIN question is to the quality of the Kendall GT1. I DO get your point about me not really being able to prove that that's what they're using, but I've dealt with this place for years, and I've learned to trust them. In the past, they've proven to me that they are NOT the greedy bastards that a lot of "service" centers are.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Kendall GT1 is quality oil. I haven't used it for a long time as there are cheaper alternatives for my DIY jobs, but it meets or exceeds factory specs. Best way to check would be to find a place that carries it on the shelf and read them for yourself as your center's bulk supply may not carry them. In any event, make sure they use the recommended weight. (0-20 preferred but you could probably get away with 5-20).
Old 01-31-2005, 04:48 PM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I go to a family owned place to get my oil changed, I avoid all the inner city chains because the guys don't care about repeat bizz.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Do the oil change and tire rotation yourself.. that way, you KNOW what was done and how it was done.

As for charging to take old oil, I had a station refuse to take my oil because his "sniffer" detected something in the oil it didn't like. I just told the guy, "Fine, I'll just dump it in some creek."

Where I live, they don't charge for taking old oil. If they did, I'm not sure what I'd do with the stuff.. maybe take it out in the woods, find some snake hole, and bury the crap (heh, heh).
Old 01-31-2005, 07:19 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
If thats the case, look into bringing your own oil and filter and see if the tire center is willing to do the oil change or find a mechanic who will. They'll usually charge you $10-$15.

At least that you'll know what they're using in your car, plus ask for the empty containers back.

Michael
Old 01-31-2005, 08:00 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelwan
If thats the case, look into bringing your own oil and filter and see if the tire center is willing to do the oil change or find a mechanic who will. They'll usually charge you $10-$15.

At least that you'll know what they're using in your car, plus ask for the empty containers back.

Michael
Good advice,,,

Most "quick lube" shops will honor a request to use the customers oil/filter. You may not get the exact "credit" you would think, but you must remember them buying their oil/filters in bulk is how they make money.

As for tire rotation, unless your bent on wearing out the EL42s early and or don't mind buying tires "more" often, you must rotate your tires every 5000-7000 miles. Rear wheel drive cars can go a bit longer (depending on your driving) but front wheel drive is harder on the front tires. This is due to both steering wear as well as power to wheels wear.
Balancing is important too for longer tire life. But if the car/tires aren't vibrating, their is really no need to balance. It's a waste of money and a risk of having it worse when complete....
Old 03-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by michaelwan
JT3,
I'm cheap myself, so here is my advice on how to save yourself a few bucks:

Tire Rotation- Rotate your tires at least every 7-10K. Its possible that they could give you better handling, but don't hold me to that. If your an AAA Member, drive to your local BigO Tires and they'll give you a free tire rotation for AAA Members. Just make sure you call in advance to make sure.

Oil/Filter Change- DO IT YOURSELF! I seriously don't trust the techs at tire centers, they probably do a lousy job and use filters of questionable quality and Marvel Mystery Bulk Oil, even though they say its Kendall. Who knows what it is.
Just use Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend at $1.42/quart at Walmart, and a Supertech filter. The Supertech Filters offer you the best bang for your buck and are constructed much better than Frams, or the Fram produced Honda O.E. Filters. Right now, the Exxon Superflo 5W-20 (Honda O.E. oil is this stuff repackaged) is onsale for $1.09/quart with Case Purchase at Autozone. Don't miss out on this deal, this stuff pairs very well with Honda Engines. If you want a better filter, give the Purolator Premium Plus, PureOne, or Mobil 1 Filters a look.

Michael
Has anyone had any experiences on SuperTech Synthetic Blend 5W - 30 oil? I went to walmart for the Motorcraft oil, but they don't carry it any more. It seems like they replaced all of it with SuperTech oil. Any ideas?
Old 03-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I rotate tires at the 1/2 life (as long as the alignment and balance is fine). That means after about a year.

Oil changes...I go to a privately owned place and have them do it. I use synthetic and do about 18000 miles a year which means I change it maybe 3 times a year. If I used regular oil I change it a bit more frequently 4-5 times... Look at it this way, 50 bucks for synthetic is not bad if you are changing your oil almost 1/2 as often. In some cases people notice getting a tad more miles (1) per gallon as well. Makes up the difference...
Old 03-01-2005, 11:44 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
That oil should be fine. it's a name brand and meets or exceeds recommended specs. I have done what you are proposing. Lifetime rotate & balance w/ road hazard protection, oil changes at one shop that keeps everything in the computer = one place to blame for problems. I buy filters in bulk from Honda and receive a $2-$3 discount for bringing my own.