Sponsored by:

Costco Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 01:58 PM
agd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costco Gas?

Just curious to know if anyone uses Costco gas..Its by my work and I save some considering i fill up twice per week. I've heard some pingin which to me indicates crappy gas once in a while when accelerating hard. Can Costco be using some crappy gas?
Old 12-27-2004, 02:01 PM
VTEC HoooA

I would recommend trying it out. You will be able to tell if it is crappy by the sulfur smell that this car emits on cheap gas. I will never use shell product again as it is the only gas that emits this horrid rotten egg smell in my car when driven hard (which is pretty much every day).

You can't go wrong with one fill up.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Instructor

i use to put costco gas in my 2000tl until my car stalled twice after i filled up. with my very next tank of gas i did not stall. with my 2004tl i never even think about using costco gas. to each his own, give it a shot. it is significantly cheaper
Old 12-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't take risks, I just run Amoco, Mobil or Shell. Citgo gas tends to be crappy and I don't trust cheap gas.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

For what it's worth, I followed the tanker truck from the Costo gas station to it's next stop one day out of boredom - It went right to the Exxon station up the road from the Costco. So either Costco is using Exxon gas, or Exxon is using no name gas, or all gases are the same and just sold under a different name. Your guess is as good as mine.

I personally have been using Costco gas for about a year in my TL and never had a problem. No pinging, no stalling, just the same great performance I get when I fill up with any other brand.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:51 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Correct - Costco and BJ"s both contract for their fuel from some of the same sources that the typical mom&pop gas station use. However, that being stated it is a local issue. If your LOCAL Costco is providing crappy fuel talk to the store. However, I have seen that most stores only offer two grades (regular unleadec or premium). I noticed a lady putting the 87 stuff in her TL the other day when I was filling up with premium at BJ's. I mentioned that she should REALLY be using the premium and she said she usually puts in mid-grade and thought that was what she was getting from BJ's. She didn't read the actual grade on the pump
Old 12-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Instructor

All gas is the same, the only difference is the additives added to it. All the gas co's (shell, exxon, mobil etc..) make/get their gas in texas. They then pump it into a pipline to various cities. Usually each city has only 1 line going in. So, for example shell puts in 50k gallons, they are entitled to take out 50k gallons at their respective city's holding tank. Then they add the additives, put it into a truck and distribute it. So the gas shell is putting into the pipe isn't the gas they actually made, it might be the gas that arco made.

This is why a couple months back a pipe going to AZ broke down and there was a major gas shortage.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:52 PM
3rd Gear

When I asked one of the Costco managers (one on Rt1 MD) he said Costco buys gas from whoever gives them the best price. He said it could be Exxon, Shell, etc.
I don't know how credible this information is but thought that it was interesting.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:09 PM
[]( O)( O)% []D[][]V[][]D

I wouldnt go near it..i own gas station's n the gas Cosco, stewarts, wal-mart, etc.. uses is crap..stick with a brand name station that sells gas..not food, n it also doesnt matter what name station, most likely they might have the same suplier in they are in the same arean... i have a sunoco n a citgo, they both get gas from warex terminals in Newburgh NY, good luck
Old 12-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Instructor

I might give it a try if it saves the much $.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:39 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Never had a problem with Costco gas in the Bay Area.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:09 AM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

I use it all the time in Simi Valley SoCal)and never had any problems. I too drive my TL pretty hard on a daily basis. No Stalling or funny smells.

wdoran's post confuses me though. A friend of mine drives a gas truck for a living, and the single trucks (only one big trailer, not two) usually dont contain enough gas to even come close to filling a single station's holding tanks. My friend and I met up one night and he dumped 2 full trailers worth of 87 into a local Ma n Pa type gas station and said they could have taken another half truck or so. So why would the truck that delivered to Costco go anywhere but the refinery after a delivery? According to my friend's experience, its only if Costco couldnt take their entire load and the tanker had left overs. They are usually allowed to sell leftovers on an open market at that point.

Here is a little homework for you guys in diff areas. Next time your in Costco, or even just getting gas, ask them where they get their gas. I know I will.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Interesting point Casper. My Costco is relatively busy, but I suppose it's possible they didn't need an entire tanker worth of gas. Oh well, take it for what's it's worth.

I'm confused by 04AcuraTL's post - If stations in the same area most likely get their gas from the same supplier regaurdless of brand name, why would you say the Costco gas is "crap?" Who's to say they aren't getting their gas from Warex terminals - the same place the stations you own are getting their supply from? Just curious...
Old 12-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Car Addict

I don't think Amoco Ultimate is just any old gasoline. I typically run Amoco.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

I've been using BJs premium in my cars fairly frequently with no trouble.

I generally stay away from "no-name" gas stations, however, I make the assumption that places like BJs and Costco aren't going to sell crap gas and put their reputations at risk.

I hope I'm right!
Old 12-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
i havnt even seen a costco station in de..... i use safeway, sams (if member, 5 cents off), exxon... no problems
Old 12-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Intermediate

I use Costco gas and have been using it for the past 3 years on all of my cars and have never had a single problem It is anywhere from 30 to 50 cents per gallon cheaper in NJ, so well worth it. Only downside is the lines are crazy at the station because everybody knows about the cheap price.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
It probably depends on your area... I use a local grocery store gas station here, and have been for the past 3 years without any problems. I actually have been getting better fuel economy, then when I religeously only went to Chevron. I just throw a bottle of techron in there every once in a while for good measure.

I remember talking to a gas-station owner a long time ago, and they said the reason some places don't sell mid-grade isn't because they don't buy mid-grade from the supplier. He said, suppliers only sell regular and premium, and mid-grade is made by connecting the pump to both tanks at the station. Not sure if he was pulling my leg, but it made sense to me...
Old 12-28-2004, 08:31 PM
Go B's Go

Originally Posted by wdoran
For what it's worth, I followed the tanker truck from the Costo gas station to it's next stop one day out of boredom - It went right to the Exxon station up the road from the Costco. So either Costco is using Exxon gas, or Exxon is using no name gas, or all gases are the same and just sold under a different name. Your guess is as good as mine.

I personally have been using Costco gas for about a year in my TL and never had a problem. No pinging, no stalling, just the same great performance I get when I fill up with any other brand.
I am friends with a guy that owns his own gas station, he says that all the gas comes from the same place
Old 12-28-2004, 08:33 PM
Go B's Go

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
i havnt even seen a costco station in de..... i use safeway, sams (if member, 5 cents off), exxon... no problems
Do you go get gas for you Dad or haha jk jk
Old 12-28-2004, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

I've gotten premium gas at Costco on several occasions and never had a problem. However, I also use Amoco Ultimate frequently as well. I doubt that the Costco gas is much different, if at all, than the name brands.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:48 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I have used costo gas in Washington State for years both premium and regular and have had excellent results with it, unlike some sations, they frequently change their filters so you are always getting very clean fuel. I actually have a friend that works there and he is always changing the filters, something like once per 2 weeks/month depending on the usage at the pumps.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BstonBruin
I am friends with a guy that owns his own gas station, he says that all the gas comes from the same place
So true..... I saw the tanker go from the Shell station right over to my local Sam's Club and fill them up.... So much for paying an extra .15 per gallon....
Old 12-29-2004, 12:14 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by vucelick
I have used costo gas in Washington State for years both premium and regular and have had excellent results with it, unlike some sations, they frequently change their filters so you are always getting very clean fuel. I actually have a friend that works there and he is always changing the filters, something like once per 2 weeks/month depending on the usage at the pumps.
That's one of the things I like about living in WA. We actually have laws governing fuel quality and pump accuracy, with bi-annual inspections by the department of Weight and Measures. Unlike oregon. I remember a while back, Dateline did a special on Oregon gas stations.... Wasn't pretty.... Some stations had regular and premium connected to same holding tanks... Some stations had pumps that deliberately read high. Some stations mixed used motor oil with the diesel fuel... Etc, etc... Granted, I'm not sure I trust everything on Dateline since the GM side-saddle gas tank fiasco, but I haven't heard anything about Oregon stations saying anything about it over here. (And I have witnessed a few absurdly calibrated pumps in oregon on occasion...
Old 12-29-2004, 07:16 AM
Team WD Member

Originally Posted by vucelick
I have used costo gas in Washington State for years both premium and regular and have had excellent results with it
Costco 92 runs like a charm for me! Used it in 2000 Chrysler 300M and 2004 Infiniti G35 with no problems.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Racer

I was at my Costco today. They sell 93 octane at the Costco that I go to. Anyway, there was a fuel truck filling up the station's tanks while I was there... It said BP on the cab's door! Costco gas is $.04-$.13 cheaper than other gas in my area. Anyone who said Costco gas is no good is kidding themselves... especially the ones who said their car doesn't drive as well with it. It is all in their heads.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:22 AM
Advanced

I usually put in Kroger gas, which is just down the street and about .04 to .08 cents cheaper than the BP, Shell, or Chevron. I haven't noticed any problems. Anybody with experience with Kroger?
Old 01-19-2005, 07:37 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by gtgrad95
I usually put in Kroger gas, which is just down the street and about .04 to .08 cents cheaper than the BP, Shell, or Chevron. I haven't noticed any problems. Anybody with experience with Kroger?
No Kroger, but the Costco here in Western PA that I go to had a BP truck filling her up...

I got to Get-n-Go (Giant Eagle gas station) but I am not sure where their gas comes from yet.... But with $0.10 off PER GALLON for every $50 in groceries I spend, I'm usually filling up with 93 for less than $1.40 per gallon!
Old 01-19-2005, 08:07 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

No one has mentioned that tanker trucks are segmented and each tank MAY hold a different grade or blend of gas for a different customer. Next time you are in a station that is being
refilled by a tanker just talk to the driver.