Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cop Holders

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 10:06 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cop Holders

What was Acura thinking when they designed the cup holders? Until I found the solution, I had to grab my small coffee by the lid and pray that the lid would stay on. Anyway, I solved the problem by buying a 2" rigid PVC cap from the plumbing department at Lowes. If you have a Lowes near you the item# is 22813 and it's made by Nibco. It comes in black and fits perfectly into the front cup holder (deeper one). It fits so good you would think it was made for the car, in fact Acura should sell it as an accessory. It lifts the cup about 1-1/2" inches higher, but not too high where it would it could tip over. You can pop it out easily when you need the to use the opening for a bottle of water or tall cup. I'm sure you will find this solution to be a good one.

Hope this makes life a little easier for all you 2004 TL owners.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
:cop:Good tip, but you fooled me with the subject line :cop:

:cop: BJ, take notice :cop:
Old 08-30-2004, 10:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
This topic is very eye-catching, LOL...

I used to put the small coffee cup in the 2nd (higher) one, but this method seems workable. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:45 AM
Safety Car

i use my own coffee thermos cause i was afraid of the same situation you are talking about. i have a passenger when i am traveling to work so both slots are used.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:09 AM
Suzuka Master

I am always looking for a solution to keep the police at bay.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by shadkng
What was Acura thinking when they designed the cup holders? Until I found the solution, I had to grab my small coffee by the lid and pray that the lid would stay on. Anyway, I solved the problem by buying a 2" rigid PVC cap from the plumbing department at Lowes. If you have a Lowes near you the item# is 22813 and it's made by Nibco. It comes in black and fits perfectly into the front cup holder (deeper one). It fits so good you would think it was made for the car, in fact Acura should sell it as an accessory. It lifts the cup about 1-1/2" inches higher, but not too high where it would it could tip over. You can pop it out easily when you need the to use the opening for a bottle of water or tall cup. I'm sure you will find this solution to be a good one.

I think the cup holders are GREAT!! They do exactly what they're supposed to do....HOLD CUPS!! My 04 Maximas cup holders didn't have the little rubber pieces and my coffee would jiggle all around and spill!!

I actually bought the TL just for the cup holders...lol
Old 08-31-2004, 08:37 AM
Cruisin'

I love the cup holders! My Pontiac Grand Prix cup holders were such a joke. They gripped the cup, or whatever, about a half inch from the bottom. Whatever drink you had in there was guaranteed to be in your lap when you went around a corner.

Good job on the cup holders Acura!
Old 08-31-2004, 08:52 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by shadkng

Listen newb, try putting more than 500 miles on the car before putting down one of the greatest features of the TL.

Some things that may make your life easier:

1. Owners of $35,000 luxury cars spend the extra $0.59 cents to buy a large coffee. No issues with slippage when you fork over the big-bucks for the bigger size.

2. Owners of $35,000 luxury cars do not shop at Lowes. They send their maid/nanny to shop for them.

3. A higher cup is going to interfere with the opening of the armrest and will increase the liklihood that your elbow will contact the beverage causing the very spill you're so paranoid about.

4. Acura already anticipated this situation for you by giving you two cupholders with different depths. Put the small coffee in the smaller cavity and you'll find things more to your liking.

BJ
Old 08-31-2004, 10:00 AM
Team Anthracite Member

EXCELLENT advice Bolt James........as usual.

carcar
Old 08-31-2004, 10:38 AM
Cruisin'

Lighten up boltjames. Your first two points are worthless, your last two points are valid. Not every person that owns a $35,000 car is a snob as you are implying! Some people buy the car because they think it is a great car and will give up other things in life to be able to own one.

Don't take critism of the TL personal. People should be able to share their thoughts and opinions, and if the Acura people reading this site think they are worthwhile, perhaps they will be incorporated into the next version of the car!
Old 08-31-2004, 01:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by boltjames
2. Owners of $35,000 luxury cars do not shop at Lowes. They send their maid/nanny to shop for them.
Uh, was this meant as a joke or did I miss the sarcasm in your tone. If you were talking about owners of $250,000 Ferraris or $350,000 Bentleys, I might agree that someone else does the shopping for them.

But as for owners of $35,000 luxury cars...... I completely disagree. I own a 04 MDX ( > $35,000) and shop at Home Depot frequently. Having the hauling capacity of the MDX helps in bringing all the project supplies home. All the TL owners I know do all of their own errands.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:40 PM
Instructor

I'm confused. I currently own an 80k+ 2002 clkAMG and I STILL shop at lowes?

Owning a 35k car does NOT mean you are so wealthy. Sorry to go against you on that one.

Why does there seem to be less snobs who own 80k cars then those that own 30-40k cars?

Originally Posted by timbrwolf9
Uh, was this meant as a joke or did I miss the sarcasm in your tone. If you were talking about owners of $250,000 Ferraris or $350,000 Bentleys, I might agree that someone else does the shopping for them.

But as for owners of $35,000 luxury cars...... I completely disagree. I own a 04 MDX ( > $35,000) and shop at Home Depot frequently. Having the hauling capacity of the MDX helps in bringing all the project supplies home. All the TL owners I know do all of their own errands.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:43 PM
Shift_faster

It's a joke. If you look up "sarcastic wit" in Webster's you'll find BoltJames.

To the original poster:
Thanks for the idea. I don't put cups in my cupholder (it usually holds my cell phone), so I won't be buying it, but nevertheless thanks for sharing.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WARNING: This thread contains humor of an unknown type, possibly intelligent, possibly hostile. If you are not properly equipped to handle such humor, you are advised to back out of the thread VERY SLOWLY and return only after reviewing the Humor Manual. Thank you.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLGator
WARNING: This thread contains humor of an unknown type, possibly intelligent, possibly hostile. If you are not properly equipped to handle such humor, you are advised to back out of the thread VERY SLOWLY and return only after reviewing the Humor Manual. Thank you.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:09 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Now eveyone stop and just get along - this was this guys 1st post here - c'mon - play nice people!!

:killer: <---- what exactly is this? I know WHO it is, but what is it supposed to mean???

Old 08-31-2004, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
boltjames, you rascal, you have done it again. You guys lighten up, this happens every time bj makes one of his tongue-in-cheek replies, and the people who don't know him take it seriously.

Let's stop the arguments between bj and everyone else, and consider the fact that he is a joker who is so subtle that no one ever catches on until the fighting starts.

This is a good thread and I would like to keep it open, so lets get back on topic and talk about the cop holders.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:24 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
haha boltjames is awesome.

Dont ever go to Home Depot. Go to Ace or Lowes.

This car's cup holders are beyond amazing. They cool your drinks in the summer and warm your drinks in the winter. They hold it snuggly and tight. I dont see a problem at all.