Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 02:05 PM
HMFIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Loss

My windshield washer fluid ran out this morning so I popped the hood to add some. I looked at the coolant reservoir and it was about 1 1/2 inches below the minimum line. The engine was running (not sure if this affects the level in the reservoir) - doubt it).

I added some distilled water to between the max and min lines. Anyway, is it possible for coolant to evaporate since it has glycol in it? I know I'm not leaking coolant. The oil on the dipstick looks fine (I have an oil analysis kit for my next oil change).

Where else could this coolant have gone?

TIA,

Don
Old 08-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Instructor

I wouldn't worry about it. My 3 month old 05 TL's coolant level is an inch below the min line. And a new TL loaner I recently drove was also at or below the min level.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by california-usa
I wouldn't worry about it. My 3 month old 05 TL's coolant level is an inch below the min line. And a new TL loaner I recently drove was also at or below the min level.
Not MINE, car is an 04 (13 months old) with 18,000 miles on it and everytime I have checked...the coolant is half-way between the Min and Max...

not sure about the severity but I would definitely bring it up on your visit to the dealer.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:48 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by KilroyR1
My windshield washer fluid ran out this morning so I popped the hood to add some. I looked at the coolant reservoir and it was about 1 1/2 inches below the minimum line. The engine was running (not sure if this affects the level in the reservoir) - doubt it).

I added some distilled water to between the max and min lines. Anyway, is it possible for coolant to evaporate since it has glycol in it? I know I'm not leaking coolant. The oil on the dipstick looks fine (I have an oil analysis kit for my next oil change).

Where else could this coolant have gone?

TIA,

Don
It could just be that there was some air in the system that was forced out through the overflow tube that runs to the reservoir when the engine came up to operating temp. Then as it cools it sucks fluid back in to the radiator and the lower level results.

I have seen this after coolant replacement so I suppose it can happen from the factory. In fact I think the dealer checklist for delivery tells them to check coolant res level.

The important thing is to keep an eye on it and see if it continues to dissapear.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
We'll see what the oil analysis says, but evaporation is possible but unlikely.

Then again, there are cars that are KNOWN to have coolant evaporation issues, such as the X5. But I don't think Honda engines are one of 'em.

MW
Old 08-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My oil guy said that our coolant systems are not sealed, so they evaporate.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Only the water can evaporate. If you put pure antifreeze in direct sunlight for years, it will barely budge.

Regardless of how the level got below min, to ensure a safe level and protect your warranty, it should be brought up to the correct level (about midway between min and full) when the engine is cool. I would not recommend just adding distilled water - add HG Type 2 or a full strength/titrated equivalent. Better to have a bit more glycol % then too little, esp if you live where it gets cold. I have actually seen reservoirs that burst - the main coolant mix was OK, but the owner had added too much water to the reservoir.

The TL's reservoir does not flow through the cooling system. Some systems do - on those, adding a bit of water has a negligible effect.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:05 AM
I6

I just added some windshield washer fluid a few days ago and also noticed my coolant was 1 1/2" below the min. I added some HG Type 2 to bring it up to between the max and min.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Racer

Dont worry guys, I was just at the dealer about a week ago because I seen this also.

The tech said its fine, its just an Overflow tank... They added some to mine for "peace of mine" he said but stated it was fine... So long as its not bone dry he said you are okay.... Just next time you get an oil change have dealer add some, but its no worry. It seems all the TL's come like that, the factory does not fill all fluids to the right level, they leave it for the dealers...
Old 08-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BigB2k5
Dont worry guys, I was just at the dealer about a week ago because I seen this also.

The tech said its fine, its just an Overflow tank... They added some to mine for "peace of mine" he said but stated it was fine... So long as its not bone dry he said you are okay.... Just next time you get an oil change have dealer add some, but its no worry. It seems all the TL's come like that, the factory does not fill all fluids to the right level, they leave it for the dealers...
That tech is a bit short of thinking:

1) Peace of "mine"? Piece of who's what? I think a piece of mind issue is that Tech's off-track comments.
2) While being a bit below min is OK, letting it get too far below that increases the risk that the system will suck air if some coolant loss occurs and it falls to the "bone dry" level.
3) Not all TL's come like that, and it is not that the factory does not fill them correctly. As someone (jfh123) already stated previously in this thread, residual air in the system (which accumulates at high points during the basic fluid fill during asembly or when a system drain has occured) is bled out through the coolant reservoir.
4) The part in question is not an "Overflow tank". It is a "coolant reservoir" according to the 2004 TL Shop Manual, written by the engineers who should know. There is a subtle difference, and it supports point #2. The tank is a reserve, to ensure that the coolant level does not fall below a minimum level to ensure proper cooling, reduce the amount of air entering the system (which can bring contaminants such as silica and other abrasive, and increase oxidation).
5) Honda's terminology in the shop manual is "ensure" that the level remains between the min and max. Ensure does not mean "aim for" or "try to get it". Words mean things, Mr. Honda Tech. Ensure supports 2,3, and 4.

Hey, I am not saying this is a big deal issue, but the thread initiator is entitled to getting an answer that is in the best interest of him (her?) and his car.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:29 PM
I6

This same thing also happen to me when I had my 03 Accord coupe. It happen when the car wasn't even a year old and it happen to both TL's in less than a year also. It was kind of low a month after owning the cars. On the Accord I filled it up the first time I saw it was low. First TL, I never filled it up. The TL I have now, I just filled it up a few days ago. I had the HG Type 2 I bought from the local Honda dealer for when I still had the Accord.

The reason I didn't fill up the TL's the first time I saw it was low was because the coolant was only at the min line. Few months later it was 1 1/2" below the min line.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Car Addict

So it takes HG type 2?

You guys don't think that coolant evaporates over the course of 4-6 months? Haha.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:28 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
So it takes HG type 2?

You guys don't think that coolant evaporates over the course of 4-6 months? Haha.
Depends on the cooling system.......

I topped mine off the second day after bringing it home. Hasn't moved in near two years/13K miles.......
Old 08-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Mine was at the "Low" mark only a month after taking delivery. The dealer topped mine off to the Full mark and it's slowly evaporated. It's still above the Min mark though. I am not too worried about it since I keep an eye on it and will refill as needed. This also happened to my 97 Camry which never gave me any engine trouble.

dsc888
Old 08-22-2005, 01:12 PM
HMFIC

Being curious, I just checked the level and it's right were I left it last week. I'll keep a close eye on it during the coming weeks and months.

I never checked it after taking posession in February of 2004, so for all I know, it could have been lowish all along.

Oil change tomorrow, oil analysis coming in a few weeks. I'll also see how MC 5W20 works with my driving style and the MID.

Cheers,

Don