Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

continuing XM sat radio after 3-months?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by theslik1
I signed up for an additional 2 years. It was a no-brainer...Columbia, SC commercial radio is a sick joke. Almost every station is owned by Clear Channel.
its speculated that Clear Channel owns about 30% of XM. They do not have any share in Sirrius.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:43 AM
whut

Originally posted by caball88
its speculated that Clear Channel owns about 30% of XM. They do not have any share in Sirrius.
That's interesting to know. I still enjoy XM enough to subscribe, and I'll probably end up getting another add-on subscription.

I only hope that Clear Channel's ownership stake (if true) isn't designed to undermine XM and wipe it out (a tried and true Microsoft tactic), or that they negatively influence the programming. On the other hand, it may be that CC is merely hedging against satellite radio overtaking commercial AM/FM, which would be a very smart move on their part, since growth in XM would help to offset any losses on the other side.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm only about halfway into my trial period, but I'm definitely renewing. It's nice to have the option of listening to the radio during my morning commute, and hearing ACTUAL MUSIC!!! Why do all the FM rock stations have those idiotic morning talk shows?? I need music when I'm driving. I mean, it's fine to have the option of listening to talk radio, for those who like it, but why does it need to take over the music stations in the morning, right when I'm doing half of my daily driving?!

This is what's great about XM - talk stations do all the talking, and music stations play MUSIC! Sorry for the rant, but "genre-bending" is definitely one of my pet peeves, both on the radio and on TV (anyone remember when the "M" in MTV stood for "music"???). XM is worth it, if only for that. Rock stations play rock, blues stations play blues, news stations broadcast news, etc. And the instant traffic & weather stations sure beat having to wait for your local AM news station to get to their next update. Definitely worth $8 to $10 a month, IMHO.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:08 PM
Advanced

I subscribed. XM-KIDS is wonderful for long trips with the kids.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by elessar
. And the instant traffic & weather stations sure beat having to wait for your local AM news station to get to their next update. Definitely worth $8 to $10 a month, IMHO.

Yeah, now if they'd only expand the traffic/weather reports to a wider band of metropolitan areas. The traffic in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach can reach ridiculous proportions during rush hour! Especially when ALL the ships are in port!
Old 03-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My three month trial ends in a couple of days. I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep it. I barely listen to it. Like someone else said, it plays music I've never heard of. The rock stations in Philly are pretty good anyway. I listen to XM Comedy and CNBC sometimes, but not enough for $10/month. We'll see.

Joe
Old 03-23-2004, 02:13 PM
Racer

I remember when the cable came out back in the early 80's. Everybody thought paying $10 for TV was worth the deal and soon all the antenna in the neighbor were going down. With lower demand, the air channels programming went to cans. Now, some 20 years later, the cable bills are high (some are paying as much as $150/month just to watch TV) and the programming still sucks - just more crap.

Will XM impose the same problem? The way I see it, they don't play music tailored to my taste so I end up hopping stations to find the music I want to listen to. Of 100 some channels, there were only hand full channels I listend to on regular basis. Would be great if I could pick only the channels I want to listen to and pay price/channels rather than cramming all other noise in the package (like cable tv).

The sound quality is pathetic. I paid good money for my car and stereo system so don't care to have XM tone that quality down. Not to mention my DVDA, my CD sounded much better than XM. Even FM (when not talking over the songs) sounds better than XM.

So, you can guess my answer from my bitch session. I dropped XM and will stay with my CDs and DVDAs. Besides, I like to stay in tune with local events. Furthermore, talk radio is talk radio - all the same.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I signed up on a mth by mth basis,
Old 03-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
XM radio is superb. I signed up for 3 years. I am very happy with the quality. The NAV XM visual interface is one of the primary reasons I bought the TL. I love the look.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:20 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I signed up for 2 yr only because I hate to see a brand new equipment in my car not do anything! - Everything in my new TL has to perform! - that's my law - that's why I paid for it.

After I while I learned to like several stations (easy to remember).
7 = 70's
8 = 80's
9 = 90's
20 = 20 top hits
62-64 = Soft music
70's Jazz (to make the kids fall asleep!)
100 = World music - Exotic and new

205 = Playboy channel, good for when my friends want to freak out! - they like the interviews with Cindy Crawford, sex doctors, etc.

I guess I'll have XM until I need to use that AUX port for DVD Video or MP3 or something...

The only way to top XM off would be to watch DVD-Music Videos in full 5.1 in my NAV and/or rearview screens! - wow . I'm waiting for that hack.
we may have to tap into the 5.1 amp to deliver full channel sound.

if you don't like XM, you can always cancel, anytime. like DirecTV.
it's much, much easier than cancelling AOL
Old 03-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Advanced

I have been enjoying XM and went with a 2 year renewal.

Fred 44 is where I stay most of the time.

The only downside of XM so far is that a friend of my wife is hooked on the showtunes channel and won't get out of the car (her husband did not approve XM for their car).
Old 03-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Instructor

I think I'll keep it. Although there is still the novelty of XM, I have not listened to commercial radio because, well the instant I change to it , all I hear is commercials
Old 03-23-2004, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Did not renew after the 3 month trial. I plan to go without for a month and see I miss it. I too am a bit disappointed with the sound quality. Sometimes FM sounds a bit better. I did love the selection.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:58 AM
Pro

Originally posted by TimC
I think I'll keep it. Although there is still the novelty of XM, I have not listened to commercial radio because, well the instant I change to it , all I hear is commercials
Take it from someone who has had it for over 2 years... it ISN'T novelty.. it becomes the way you listen to radio....

I never turn to FM I mean really never,.. no patience...

And I agree with the poster that said everything has to perform... if I have XM (and the buttont here) and Bluetooth and all that I want it to work to take full advantage of my car's features.

And to the person who said nothing is on their that they like.. I dont know hwo that is possible as there is averything on there... BUT you dont hear lke the same thing over and over or the same elton john song every hour....

If you did, then it would be like radio and we dont need more of that static!!
Old 03-25-2004, 01:16 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by MikeRadio
I agree with the poster that said everything has to perform... if I have XM (and the buttont here) and Bluetooth and all that I want it to work to take full advantage of my car's features.
It's true. I don't like to see anything is not WORKING in this car. Without MP3, XM is still better than my Radio. This is one of "accessories" I've expected to spend when buying 04TL.

Old 03-25-2004, 02:03 AM
Racer

'too much music I have never heard of'... amazing. its the cure for ignorance. also the variety of music is amazing. no commercials on the music stations too. people who can stomach regular radio amaze me. but thats just me. discovered a couple of new stations today on xm and I will give them a try. except for genres that suck like country and hard rock [metal] I will try anything. playboy tv is amazingly stupid so I imagine playboy radio cant be much better. you want sex talk? get a partner.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:52 AM
Advanced

Their web site indicates that only 35 channels are commercial free...

<TED>

Originally posted by soljc
Hmmmmm......I think only certain channels are commercial free. Yesterday, I drove 4 hours in the car and listened to XM the entire trip and frequently found commericals on the sports channels and the comedy channel.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:44 PM
TLover

and the channelss that have commercials are for like a few minutes every hour. i used to drive home a half hour from work and got like 2 songs i liked the whole drive. what a pain.