Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consumer Reports 2005 TL Best Upscale Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:20 AM
05 TL NBP Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consumer Reports 2005 TL Best Upscale Sedan

Consumer Reports selects its Top Picks from more than 200 vehicles that have been tested by the publication in the last year. The highest-ranked vehicles were the best performers in Consumer Reports' road tests, consumer-reported reliability and crash testing from both the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

"The 10 vehicles on Consumer Reports' Top Picks list are standouts across the board for performance, versatility, reliability, safety, and interior fit and finish," said David Champion, senior director of Consumer Reports' Auto Test facility in East Haddam, Connecticut. "CR's Top Pick list is an excellent place for consumers to start when they're in the market for a new car."

The Top Picks are:
Small Sedan Ford Focus
Family Sedan Honda Accord Hybrid
Upscale Sedan Acura TL
Luxury Car Lexus LS 430
Fun to Drive Subaru Impreza WRX
Small SUV Subaru Forester
Midsized SUV Lexus RX 330
3-Row SUV Honda Pilot
Minivan Honda Odyssey
Green Car Toyota Prius

Can't complain. Or can you?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:48 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,168 Likes on 2,588 Posts
No, we own a 2003 Honda Pilot and 2005 Acura TL and were very satisfied with both.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by DevTL
Consumer Reports selects its Top Picks from more than 200 vehicles that have been tested by the publication in the last year. The highest-ranked vehicles were the best performers in Consumer Reports' road tests, consumer-reported reliability and crash testing from both the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

"The 10 vehicles on Consumer Reports' Top Picks list are standouts across the board for performance, versatility, reliability, safety, and interior fit and finish," said David Champion, senior director of Consumer Reports' Auto Test facility in East Haddam, Connecticut. "CR's Top Pick list is an excellent place for consumers to start when they're in the market for a new car."

The Top Picks are:
Small Sedan Ford Focus
Family Sedan Honda Accord Hybrid
Upscale Sedan Acura TL
Luxury Car Lexus LS 430
Fun to Drive Subaru Impreza WRX
Small SUV Subaru Forester
Midsized SUV Lexus RX 330
3-Row SUV Honda Pilot
Minivan Honda Odyssey
Green Car Toyota Prius

Can't complain. Or can you?
:ibsomeonecomplainsthatthefocusls430wrxforrester&p riusshldbereplacedbycivicrlcrv&civichybrid:
Old 03-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
pilot is over priced... better off with the 4runner which is a true off road vehicle with hi/lo 4wd, traction control, and a center locking differential. I drove both and the 4runner handled better and I did not need the 3rd seat when I got mine... The tires on the runner are larger as well...

Honda does not want to deal and from what I heard the pilot had tranny issues as well. All the 5AT cars has/gad tranny issues.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:48 AM
It's never enough!

I have an 05 TL and an 01 Odyssey. They are the two best vehicles in their respective classes we have ever owned.

I know only one person who owns a Pilot, and they like it a lot. They don't do much offroading, but neither do 95% of SUV owners. Let's face it, an SUV is basically a 4WD station wagon (or minivan with less cargo space), but of course you won't get an SUV owner to admit that.

All that said, I would agree with most of the article. Would have liked to see the Civic in there for small car.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:02 AM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, the Focus was nixed from the list (and replaced by the Corolla) due to very poor impact ratings. Unfortunately, the magazine had already been published when those ratings were released.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasCatfish
Let's face it, an SUV is basically a 4WD station wagon (or minivan with less cargo space), but of course you won't get an SUV owner to admit that.
100%
Old 03-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Drifting

A 4 runner is not a three row SUV, apples and oranges.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Everyone has their opinion, but we looked at my wife's sister's 4-Runner and found it smaller, less seating, more expensive, less powerful, less features, less on-road performance, poorer fuel economy, poorer handling, harsh ride.

This was a previous generation but the newer model still does not compete with the Pilot. They are really in two different marketing classes. The Toyota Highland is a more appropiate comparison since it's a uni-body hybrid chasis style SUV compared to the 4-Runner's body on frame which is interior space inefficient.

The 4-Runner is a fine true off-roading SUV but for the other 95% of real-world soccer Mom SUV driving it's not even in the same league as the Pilot.

Our gearbox was recalled and the ATF bypass for 2nd (?) gear was installed, 3 years and 52K miles later it's performed flawlessly.

However it does have butt-prints on the driver's seat, have to ask Bluenote if Honda replaces those seats!

Originally Posted by mickey3c
pilot is over priced... better off with the 4runner which is a true off road vehicle with hi/lo 4wd, traction control, and a center locking differential. I drove both and the 4runner handled better and I did not need the 3rd seat when I got mine... The tires on the runner are larger as well...

Honda does not want to deal and from what I heard the pilot had tranny issues as well. All the 5AT cars has/gad tranny issues.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
interesting not sure what 4runner you were referring to.. The one I have has a better ride than most suvs/crossovers and it is on a truck platform. The 4 liter had more pickup than the 3.5 and it depends what you want to use it for... I do some towing and the unibody does not do it for me...

As for price the pilot was out of sight and the list price was what honda insisted.. there was no dealing there not even throwing in the 100K warranty...
Old 03-10-2005, 02:47 PM
AZ Community Team

I'm referring to this 4Runner review from Edmunds. Same model as my sister-in-law's that I also drove. For the serious off-roader it's a nice SUV but for the on-road use where we spend 99+% of our driving we found the Pilot to be better for us. And for $32-33K fully equiped including leather and DVD entertainment is also reasonably priced.

The current 4Runner review from Edmunds.
The Pilot review from Edmunds.

Originally Posted by mickey3c
interesting not sure what 4runner you were referring to.. The one I have has a better ride than most suvs/crossovers and it is on a truck platform. The 4 liter had more pickup than the 3.5 and it depends what you want to use it for... I do some towing and the unibody does not do it for me...

As for price the pilot was out of sight and the list price was what honda insisted.. there was no dealing there not even throwing in the 100K warranty...
Old 03-10-2005, 03:59 PM
I slow down for COPS

Thumbs up

I would have to agree with the TL.

I am very happy with my choice.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Intermediate

My wife has a 03 Odyssey and I have a 05 TL. We love them both for their obvious diifernces.