Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a TL Type S - what to know?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:16 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a TL Type S - what to know?

Beginning my research to see if a TL Type S is the car for me. Looking for something fun and stylish while staying at or under the $20k mark. This would be a daily driver, I also have a 2008 Pathfinder that tows my 2006 Lotus Exige track car. This will essentially replace an RS4 that I just sold.

My requirements will be black, manual transmission but I'm not sure on the interior choices. I think I've seen a red but it seems all the cars I'm seeing are either a light tan/cream (which I sorta like) or a two tone black and dark green/gray color (hard to tell in picture). That's just too hard for me, I'm rather sick of black/dark interiors.

Not in a big hurry or anything - what are the most desirable options out there? Do I want to find an A Spec car? I see one with the dark interior or Cars.com

Thanks for any input you guys have - I've always been a fan of these cars and think they are one of the best looking sedans ever put on American streets. Almost bought one before I got my RS4 and think it's finally the time.

-Ross
Old 06-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
welcome to the site, $20k or under for a MT TL-S will be hard find especially one that are in decent condition for the age. The light tan/cream color you describe is call Taupe and the two tone seat is call Ebony/Silver. FIY every Type S is two tone interior because the white seat contrast with the black carpet and the stitching on the door panel, A-spec is a package that can be purchase individually or as a whole when purchase new and they are consist of.

1. Steering wheel (Type S has fake carbon fiber trim on top part of the steering wheel)

2. Ground effect or lip kit (whatever you would prefer) can be bought as a kit or individually, side-front-rear.

4. Suspension

5. 18" Wheels with five spoke with split in the middle.

6. Spoiler (possible for earlier model but its ugly for the TL IMO).

7. Pricey "A-spec" emblem.

A-spec just help the car look better and offer no real gain in performance (except for suspension), so in other words this isn't the Nismo package like you would see offer in 370z.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Your choice for the interiors. Like said above its either taupe which is a very light gray seat color and door panel inserts, and light gray headliner and pillars. The ebony silver is black everything with dark silver on the middle of the seats. Pillars and headliner are all black. I'm personally a fan of the all black Type S interior. It looks awesome!
Aspec isn't that big of a deal I would not limit your search to that. The manual Type S's are tough to find, and that tranny has some 3rd gear issues. The problem is typically solved by changing to the GM syncromesh fluid, or having the 3rd gear syncro TSB performed if its bad enough. It's a very finnicky clutch and gas pedal to master so I would recommend driving one before buying if possible just to make sure you will enjoy driving it on a daily basis. All Type S's come with all options so that makes searching a little easier as you know every single one is equipped the same. Your only options will be between the two interior colors, 7 or so exterior colors, and manual or auto tranny.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:01 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Your choice for the interiors. Like said above its either taupe which is a very light gray seat color and door panel inserts, and light gray headliner and pillars. The ebony silver is black everything with dark silver on the middle of the seats. Pillars and headliner are all black. I'm personally a fan of the all black Type S interior. It looks awesome!
Aspec isn't that big of a deal I would not limit your search to that. The manual Type S's are tough to find, and that tranny has some 3rd gear issues. The problem is typically solved by changing to the GM syncromesh fluid, or having the 3rd gear syncro TSB performed if its bad enough. It's a very finnicky clutch and gas pedal to master so I would recommend driving one before buying if possible just to make sure you will enjoy driving it on a daily basis. All Type S's come with all options so that makes searching a little easier as you know every single one is equipped the same. Your only options will be between the two interior colors, 7 or so exterior colors, and manual or auto tranny.
Thanks guys - this is all very helpful. When I said $20k in my first post I'm a little flexible and would spend a bit more for the right car.

I'm not worried about the transmission, it is what it is - I'm a manual car kinda guy and as such that's what I want. It has to shift better than my Exige, by far the worst part of that car.

So looks like I'm looking for a black with the taupe interior as I'm not a big fan of the ebony silver package. Just not a fan of dark interiors at the moment, want a little pop.

Are there common aftermarket power mods like a supercharger or turbo? Would everyone recommend staying away from a modded car?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
the super chargers are inefficient and provide lots of heat.
I wouldnt supercharge unless i had supporting mods to fix those issues.

we have a great turbo kit that produces up to 500hp to the wheels.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
search for J&R turbo kit they can get you 480 whp.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
gl on the new car