Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Purchasing a "Higher" Mileage TL Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering Purchasing a "Higher" Mileage TL Type-S

Didn't want to hi-jack or revive any old threads so here I go.....

Totaled my '04 so am looking to purchase a TL Type-S and wanted to get your opinions on the prices/offerings

2007 Type-S 5-AT (WDP) w/ 140K
Dealer purchased from auction so has no records but carfax shows that maintenance was done by Acura on a regular basis (only owner can request specific service records from Acura )
$10,500 (negotiated)

Does this seem like a good buy at this price? Car seems to have mostly highway miles and is in pretty good condition.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
That is a good price. Around here an 07 s with that mileage would get about $11.5 to $12.5k

Any info on timing belt and water pump being done per car fax?

Last edited by Steven Bell; 01-09-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 01-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I would get it inspected, then if everything is good, do timing belt/water pump for the peace of mind.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GRAF-FITI
Any info on timing belt and water pump being done per car fax?
It doesn't which is unfortunate. Just shows that "Recommended maintenance performed" was performed by Acura at 118k. Only way I could find out is seems is to purchase vehicle and then go to acura to request that info.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
In regards to an earlier post you made in this thread, thats not always true about only the owner can request service. I have contacted Acura dealers with service requests on potential vehicles I was looking to purchase. All they needed was the last 8 of the VIN or something like that and if anything was in the computer they have had no problems giving me that info. Not sure why any dealer wouldnt, its not like its classified information. I mean, they are oil changes for christ sake lol.

The only problem is the info would only be in the computer if the service was done at that dealership. So you would have to contact the dealer that did the actual work otherwise nothing would be in the computer.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
In regards to an earlier post you made in this thread, thats not always true about only the owner can request service. I have contacted Acura dealers with service requests on potential vehicles I was looking to purchase. All they needed was the last 8 of the VIN or something like that and if anything was in the computer they have had no problems giving me that info. Not sure why any dealer wouldnt, its not like its classified information. I mean, they are oil changes for christ sake lol.

The only problem is the info would only be in the computer if the service was done at that dealership. So you would have to contact the dealer that did the actual work otherwise nothing would be in the computer.
That's what I thought. I called the the two dealers (different states) that had data uploaded to CarFax and was told the same by both. One guy mentioned that its that way because if they gave me info that conflicted what was told by the current seller, the dealer could be sued by that seller. Price of exposing the truth i guess. SMH
Old 01-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28

Wouldn't the Carfax show at least the area where the car was serviced...you could call the Acura dealer in the area to find out...
Old 01-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GKinColo08TL
Wouldn't the Carfax show at least the area where the car was serviced...you could call the Acura dealer in the area to find out...
It does show the dealers but each turned me down. Stated that only the owner can request those records. Not the potential owner.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:48 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I'd personally rather pay a little more for a non auction car with lower mileage, but that's just me. It could be a well maintained diamond, but there's no guarantee of that. I'd probably rather buy a car from someone in the black market who's an enthusiast and knows these cars better.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by erdoc48
I'd personally rather pay a little more for a non auction car with lower mileage, but that's just me. It could be a well maintained diamond, but there's no guarantee of that. I'd probably rather buy a car from someone in the black market who's an enthusiast and knows these cars better.
I see where you're coming from. But in the end any used car is a gamble. Really just have to do the best in the beginning to uncover any issues the seller is potentially trying to hide. But you know, you could pay 4-5K more for a car under 100K that is in worse shape internally.

$10,000 (plus an extra $5000 left in my pocket just in case) > $15,000 if you ask me.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:31 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
I got my 07 Type-S at 175k. Carfax said that the maintenance was done meticulously, and the timing belt maintenance was done on time. I would have preferred a lower mileage car, but this one had been in no accidents and only had one owner. It ran so smoothly during the test drive, and the Acura inspection came out excellent - it only recommended that I change the transmission and coolant fluid. I was sold. 4000 miles later, I still have no complaints. I can't say that I haven't run into problems, but they were nothing major.

Problems I've had:

Needed a new starter
EGR valve was suddenly stuck open (the mechanic just knocked it on the side and it was back to normal)
Key fob works intermittently (not a range issue)

These are high-usage problems that you will very likely run into as well if you get the car, although it might take you a bit more time to run into them considering it's over 30k miles behind mine.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bla8291
I got my 07 Type-S at 175k. Carfax said that the maintenance was done meticulously, and the timing belt maintenance was done on time. I would have preferred a lower mileage car, but this one had been in no accidents and only had one owner. It ran so smoothly during the test drive, and the Acura inspection came out excellent - it only recommended that I change the transmission and coolant fluid. I was sold. 4000 miles later, I still have no complaints. I can't say that I haven't run into problems, but they were nothing major.

Problems I've had:

Needed a new starter
EGR valve was suddenly stuck open (the mechanic just knocked it on the side and it was back to normal)
Key fob works intermittently (not a range issue)

These are high-usage problems that you will very likely run into as well if you get the car, although it might take you a bit more time to run into them considering it's over 30k miles behind mine.
Would definitely look out for those things. I had 174K on my 04 6sp when I totaled it last year. The only things major that I had replace over the years was the clutch (due to bad technique by me i'm sure), app sensor and my motor mounts.