Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condensation in rear TL-S tail

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:08 PM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Condensation in rear TL-S tail

One of my rear TL-S taillights has some condensation in it. From what, I'm not sure. Either its:

a) rained a ton yesterday
b) it was pretty damn cold last night (44F)

I suspect its (b) because I've driven thru and been in much heavier rain and never had an issue with condensation. My cars been sitting outside in the sun for a couple hours now (its still 60F though) and its still there.

Should I: be worried? do anything about it? Is there anyway I can remove the moisture from inside the housing?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't remember - you have a TLS, or just the tails? I swapped the tails (I have an '04), and had the condensation issue. It was fine for like 3 monthes, then all of the sudden I had condensation. Didn't pay much attention to it, but now I actually have a line going across the bottom of the light that is etched. It looks as if the light filled up with close to an inch of water at some time or another. All I ever saw though was some fogging.

I would highly recommend checking your LED seal if you've done a swap. Otherwise, have you replaced turn signal or anything recently? I had some foggin in my headlights after replacing turn signal bulbs.

I can give you pics if you need when I get home. Otherwise I would say if they are swapped, pull them and reseal them (I just siliconed them shut). If they are OEM tpye S lights, it's probably just the change in season.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:02 PM
zaino'd

My sig says I have an 05

Hmm, well I definitely don't want that etched line in my tails. The headlights have those bags of silica gel to absorb moisture. I guess I'll look into resealing them
Old 09-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you left out the foam piece that keeps water from getting in there.... I did that the first time around... had to take off the bumper and tail lights all over.....
Old 09-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by therein60mins
you left out the foam piece that keeps water from getting in there.... I did that the first time around... had to take off the bumper and tail lights all over.....
i did that too.. double work sucks!!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:57 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
You can also add a packet of silica gel. The stuff that comes in shoe boxes etc, that says do not eat. That is supposed to suck up the moisture and might help you out.

Originally Posted by EVOLICARUS
i did that too.. double work sucks!!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by therein60mins
I didn't leave the foam out, but it looks like a 1 time use type foam.. was pretty squished by the time I put it back in. I actually removed the foam completely and filled the trench with silicon - since i never plan on taking apart the lights again. Even if I did, I'm sure it can be done

Originally Posted by jmkiang
My sig says I have an 05
My bad - I have siggys turned off, so I never see them anymore

BTW - here is what will happen eventually. Keep in mind - I never saw more than condenstation in the tails...

Old 09-09-2008, 08:24 PM
邵樂百

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down Wtf....

^^^ OH HELL NO......unacceptable I took the foam out and soaked it in warm/semi hot water, then air dried it. It looked brand new when I reinstalled my LED's. This is after i read a few threads about condensation in the TL-S tails.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:14 PM
zaino'd

FUUUUUUCK this is what mine looks like now. Can I wait til the weekend to take it apart? After I remove it, can I just turn it upside down and empty the water? How do I remove the clear plastic part to wipe down?
(don't comment on the swirls please )

^ THATS WATER! When you bump the taillight, the the water jiggles
Old 09-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

What I did was to take the LED board off the lights, and set the lights lense side up on a dehumidifier. I'm just going to take a stab in the dark and assume you may not have one though. I also tried setting it outside for a bit, but I don't know how much that worked.

There is no way to take the lenses apart. It would essentially be a headlight clearing again, except I think you'd have to cut it apart with a dremel.

I guess I would just set your light on a fan/dehumidifier and let it rest. I tried to fill the light up completely with distilled water, thinking it would "wash" away the minerals that leave the etching - because I think it is more of a deposit then an etch into the pastic. But - It only looked good full of water. Clouded right up after drying.

I was actually thinking of buying some dudes passenger tail, but it was cracked. Now it ended up cleared and on ebay - but still with the same big ass crack. lol

Maybe we can start our own club. Kind of like the dudes that roll around with 1 pant leg rolled up. We can be the guys with the fucked up right light. In case yours is marked now - don't worry too bad. We notice it from a mile away, but apparently nobody else notices.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Who is in for the 07 Type-S Tail (passanger) Group Buy?

1. Glowrdr
2. Jmkiang

lol - if only it could be true. I wonder when 07 TL's will start showing up at the junk yard? I had a 97 expedition, and I tried to get a piece of interior trim and the junk yards laughed at me when it was 2005. So... doing the math, looks like we have another 7 years at least.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:10 PM
zaino'd

Shiiiiiiiiiit. Man this sucks. So you still have the hard water marks on your clear plastic part? I wonder if any of this shit is covered under warranty... especially since the previous owner had the dealer install it. I'm gonna explore that first. Then I'll take it apart this weekend. Then I'll try to buy it new from a dealership by me. One of my buddies grew up with a family that owns a ton of dealerships in IL (Acura, Lexus etc) so he can hook up parts. He might also be able to get my shit fixed/replaced under some sort of warranty.

7 years?????????? CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Let me know how the replacement works, and how much. I've thought about buying a replacement - I may do it now that I'm putting on the body kit, and getting rims. Can't have my baby with an ugly ass.

Those pictures are how the lights are currently. The water spots never did come out

I've got pics of the lights on the car though, and it is pretty tough to notice unless you're specifically looking for it. I've had to point it out, because when I said what happened, people still didn't see it. These were Acura owners as well.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:33 PM
zaino'd

Yeah going to meet the service/parts guys this Saturday. Will report back.