Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Cathode Lic. Plate lights - no wire tap

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 01:21 AM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Cold Cathode Lic. Plate lights - no wire tap

Thought I'd share some pics. The installs for the cold cathodes show wire taps and doubling up on bulbs. I didn't want to do either and I also just mounted wendys camera so long cold cathode bulbs were not an option. Here's a very quick run down of what I used. This allows me to return to OEM on the license plate lights with no signs of tampering (not counting the two holes drilled for the camera).

1 set of 4" cold cathodes
Case from cold cathodes to make refector enclosure (with reflective tape)
2 male blade connectors (cut down to size with dremel)
Lexan (plexiglass) for new license plate light lens covers (used lexan silcon sealant)

Everything else is just like the other installs minus the wire tap.

Here are some pics to show what I did and that the brightness I get is close to the same as the dual tube option. It probably is a little less bright than dual tubes but definitely brighter and cleaner than OEM and thats they way I wanted it. As usual with my posts showing installs I have pics.

First pic is of mount hole measurement for backup caCold Cathode Lic. Plate - no wire tap

Thought I'd share some pics. The installs for the cold cathodes show wire taps and doubling up on bulbs. I didn't want to do either and I also just mounted wendys camera so long cold cathode bulbs were not an option. Here's a very quick run down of what I used. This allows me to return to OEM on the license plate lights with no signs of tampering (not counting the two holes drilled for the camera).

1 set of 4" cold cathodes
Case from cold cathodes to make refector enclosure (with reflective tape)
2 male blade connectors (cut down to size with dremel)
Lexan (plexiglass) for new license plate light lens covers (used lexan silcon sealant)

Everything else is just like the other installs minus the wire tap.

Here are some pics to show what I did and that the brightness I get is close to the same as the dual tube option. It probably is a little less bright than dual tubes but definitely brighter and cleaner than OEM and thats they way I wanted it. As usual with my posts showing installs I have pics.

First pic is of mount hole measurement for backup camera. I just had to include it. I in no way measured this before I drilled the holes. I just positioned the camera in place with the modified license plate assembly on and made markers to determine the position for drilling. I did this measurement after the hole were drilled. I was shocked at the result.

Here are pics of the EOM lights in Normal and Night exposure modes:

Reflectors I made for the cc tubes:

Pic of connection to EOM light harness plug:

Pics of 1 cc and 1 eom together for contrast:

Pics of bottom view of CC tubes installed (licence plate assembly is off):

Pics of CC lights in Normal and Night exposure modes:

I'm quite happy with the result. Provides clean light in the rear with an nice line on the ground without being overly bright. Btw, I just have the camera mounted, it is not hooked up yet as I still need to put in Dom's unit and do the wiring so I can't let you know if it helps visibility on the camera at night. It was -3 out when I did this install and I was in an unheated garage. I was freezing but determined to get the lights done and camera mounted. Once I'm done thawing out I'll work on the tvnav2go unit install.

I just positioned the camera in place with the modified license plate assembly on and made markers to determine the position for drilling. I did this measurement after the hole were drilled. I was shocked at the result.

Here are pics of the EOM lights in Normal and Night exposure modes:

Reflectors I made for the cc tubes:

Pic of connection to EOM light harness plug:

Pics of 1 cc and 1 eom together for contrast:

Pics of bottom view of CC tubes installed (licence plate assembly is off):

Pics of CC lights in Normal and Night exposure modes:

I'm quite happy with the result. Provides clean light in the rear with an nice line on the ground without being overly bright. Btw, I just have the camera mounted, it is not hooked up yet as I still need to put in Dom's unit and do the wiring so I can't let you know if it helps visibility on the camera at night. It was -3 out when I did this install and I was in an unheated garage. I was freezing but determined to get the lights done and camera mounted. Once I'm done thawing out I'll work on the tvnav2go unit install.