Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The clueless average Joe

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The clueless average Joe

I wonder if it is just me or if any of you get pi$$ed off by clueless comments of some people around you on your car. Here is a sample of some my worst experience so far:

1. A friend of mine when seeing my car for the first time: "Ooooh, wow, a friend of mine has just bought EXACTLY, I mean EXACTLY, the same car, except it has cloth upholstery ..." It turned out to be an Accord sedan and the explanation to me was "well, it spells almost the same"!!

2. My co-worker in the passenger seat: "look there is another TL right there". My response: "well, I do not have my glasses with me, but this is a Civic and I take this as an offense", all I could think of at that time was that "eject an annoying passenger button".

3. You bought what? Acura? Is that Korean?

4. Oh, you bought a new car? Which one? "Acura TL". ....??? silence ...

I mean, I do not expect people to be all car enthusiasts, this is just way too much ...

On the other hand, no one in this universe will ever spoil my enjoyment over this car. Still have that big wide grin on my face
Old 06-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Oh just be happy driving your Honda.

The way I look at it...when someone says ooh nice Civic...ask them to race for pinks.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Instructor

I once met a person who thought Civics cost $35k! Just like the TL. Ha.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:49 AM
Racer

You can avoid this problem by just buying a 325i.
Sure you'll get smoked at every traffic light but no one will mistake you car for a Civic or Accord
Old 06-02-2004, 11:22 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, but the opposite is also true. It is very satisfying when someone knowledgeable comments on your car.

My nephew (age 24) was visiting and admiring my new TL. He noted that from the
side, it reminded him of a BMW, and that the rear view resembled an Audi . . . and
of course he was loving the interior!
Old 06-02-2004, 12:30 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink Take satisfaction...

Think of this way:

They're clueless and you're not.

Put's you quite a bit farther up the Darwin pole than them. :worship:
Old 06-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Pro

For most people, a car is just something to ride to work and occupy space in the garage. For us enthusiasts, like me, we (I) treat my TL as part of the family :toothless .
Old 06-02-2004, 01:15 PM
Rum Runner

I got a friend who drives an A4 1.8T. When I got the car he said, "nice, but the front looks like a Honda". I asked him if he liked the back and he said yes. I replied, "good, 'cuz in a race the back is the only thing you are going to see".
Old 06-02-2004, 01:50 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
few months back I went to body shop and when I parked, guy came running out side and he goes "NICE BMW" and I smilied and said its "Acura TL" and then he goes "oh nice it looks like BMW and its a beast".

Few weeks ago I went to Honda dealership with my cousin, and salesman goes NICE BMW... so I get this again and I told him no its TL, and he started checking it out.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Most people are clueless. This is to be expected.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:56 PM
100k miles club

i haven't came accross any of those comments coz most of my friends and relative sorta know what it is. the usual questions i get are

"did you get the navi?"
"how fast?"
"how much?"

on second thought i do have a friend who i ball with and made stupid remarks. here's a re-enactment

HIM: "i got my 04 c230 kompressor for 31K"
ME: "did you get everything on it?"
HIM: "yup, navi, leather, sport shift, etc"
ME: "is your screen 8"? do you have BT? are there any voice commands? you got xm? 6 disc changer? do you wanna race?"
HIM: "ah no to all those questions"
ME: "wow sure does sound like you save money and your car is better than mine" :lol2:

other than him, i haven't xp another ignorant person
Old 06-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Drifting

I had a lady ask me at a stop sign once what kind of car I drove. I had all the H emblems taken off my 98 Accord Coupe and she said "That's a nice Saturn." oy. Then another aquaintence said I had a nice civic and I wanted to ask him for a race since he didn't know I had a v6. (poor guy had a sunfire and another aquaintence who said the same thing had a v6 camaro)
Old 06-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by acugirl
I wonder if it is just me or if any of you get pi$$ed off by clueless comments of some people around you on your car. Here is a sample of some my worst experience so far:

1. A friend of mine when seeing my car for the first time: "Ooooh, wow, a friend of mine has just bought EXACTLY, I mean EXACTLY, the same car, except it has cloth upholstery ..." It turned out to be an Accord sedan and the explanation to me was "well, it spells almost the same"!!

2. My co-worker in the passenger seat: "look there is another TL right there". My response: "well, I do not have my glasses with me, but this is a Civic and I take this as an offense", all I could think of at that time was that "eject an annoying passenger button".

I mean, I do not expect people to be all car enthusiasts, this is just way too much ...

On the other hand, no one in this universe will ever spoil my enjoyment over this car. Still have that big wide grin on my face

Actually I had the opposite happen I debadged my car and went to get tires balanced on a Hunter 9700 and pulled it in a spot, when I went inside the only part of car visible was the back tail 1/3, when the service guy called the tech to pull my car in (before they worte up the order) he told the tech to align that silver BMW
Old 06-02-2004, 07:30 PM

Well some of it is people are clueless, the other aspect is Acura is clueless. The 3rd gen TL looks NOTHING like the 2nd gen or 1st gen. Luxury cars usually do not go through huge changes to avoid the problem of people not being able to recognize the car.
I think that is why there is that silly "Acura" on the front bumper. B/C otherwise, people would not know what it is.
Honda dictates Acuras look very similar to Hondas. They want to keep the familarity between the two, as most Acura owners are ex Honda owners and they want to keep them comfortable.
Acura also has never recovered from losing the names "Legend", "Vigor", "Integra" etc. TL/CL (shared with Benz)RL, etc just get lost within the sea of luxury car names. Then u have
TL 2.5, 3.2
TL 3.2, TL 3.2 Type-S
Now just TL and TL A-spec
Its just confusing and shows Acura has a lot to learn with luxury car selling.

Finally, Acuras are not bought by the rich and famous. They are never on T.V, for instance, Rappers, never mention Acura or have them on MTV. Just look at the Escalade, a sub-par SUV but since it is on T.V all the time, everyone knows what it is.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Hal
Pedestrian Polo CHAMPION!

At least my mother, the most clueless person in the world, could tell you it's an Acura TL. Why? Because she really loves the heated seats.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
In CA, you need heated seats??
Old 06-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Some are just clueless about cars. I usually hear comments from those who think it's a great car. The worst I've heard is that someone last weekend thought my car was a TSX. Not a bad comparison, really, I give the TSX its props in its class.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Hal
At least my mother, the most clueless person in the world, could tell you it's an Acura TL. Why? Because she really loves the heated seats.
All females like the heated seats. I agree with the lettering thing, when Acura went to lettering, from Vigor, Legend and Integra, they lost the identification and now only enthousiasts like us know what a TL is, or obviously those who own one. I think it's the same thing with a BMW, only those in the know is aware of what the difference between an M3 or M5.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:24 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Finally, Acuras are not bought by the rich and famous. They are never on T.V, for instance, Rappers, never mention Acura or have them on MTV.

hum.. rapper Xzibit mentions Acura in one of his song: spitshine.

"Cocksucka I preach what I practise, back shit up,
Wrap this rap shit up, still actin up,
Get found in da trunk of an Acura
Y'all suck like jail and Dracula"

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-02-2004, 08:40 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Finally, Acuras are not bought by the rich and famous. They are never on T.V, for instance, Rappers, never mention Acura or have them on MTV. Just look at the Escalade, a sub-par SUV but since it is on T.V all the time, everyone knows what it is.
Thats not true. My mom's friends are utterly and extremely rich. They buy cars in one payment and many are on waitlist for the TL. One of them paid for the S500 with one payment. When asked why they choose the TL, they said its because "it just looks too nice to not buy it"
Old 06-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Pro

Well some of it is people are clueless, the other aspect is Acura is clueless. The 3rd gen TL looks NOTHING like the 2nd gen or 1st gen. Luxury cars usually do not go through huge changes to avoid the problem of people not being able to recognize the car.
I think that is why there is that silly "Acura" on the front bumper. B/C otherwise, people would not know what it is.
Honda dictates Acuras look very similar to Hondas. They want to keep the familarity between the two, as most Acura owners are ex Honda owners and they want to keep them comfortable.
Acura also has never recovered from losing the names "Legend", "Vigor", "Integra" etc. TL/CL (shared with Benz)RL, etc just get lost within the sea of luxury car names. Then u have
TL 2.5, 3.2
TL 3.2, TL 3.2 Type-S

Acuras used to be mentioned in songs.

Packing a mac in the back of the ack
Old 06-02-2004, 09:08 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterTL
Thats not true. My mom's friends are utterly and extremely rich. They buy cars in one payment and many are on waitlist for the TL. One of them paid for the S500 with one payment. When asked why they choose the TL, they said its because "it just looks too nice to not buy it"

Have your mother's friend driven the TL? Buying based on looks could end up as a big disappointment, especially for someone accustomed to MB S500. Most probably he will hate the poor TL. BTW, I did not know there is a waiting list for TL. Where do you live? In the north-east there are tons of them available close to invoice.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:00 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SergeyM
Have your mother's friend driven the TL? Buying based on looks could end up as a big disappointment, especially for someone accustomed to MB S500. Most probably he will hate the poor TL. BTW, I did not know there is a waiting list for TL. Where do you live? In the north-east there are tons of them available close to invoice.
The people that I know usually ask for extended test drives before they buy the car. They are rich, but they are not stupid. I live in Southern California and there is about a 1-2 month waiting list depending on which dealership
Old 06-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Racer

Just 15 minutes ago, coming out of the cleaners one guy keeps looking at my car as I enter it. He then asked what kind of car is that? is that the Prelude? I said no its an Acura TL. He says, oh, it looks just like the prelude plus its all the same thing. He said that the prelude has 240 horsepower and that miine has the same engine. I said, well I don't know about the prelude, but this is 270. He goes, nah it can't be. Has to be the same thing.

"I said, than you must be right, its all the same thing"

I don't have time for that stuff.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:08 PM
Racer

A friend asked "did you get the legend or the integra?"

another friend bought a C230 because of the badge. He was bummed that my car came with more stuff than his, faster than his, more interior room, more solid feel, more...

Yes, ppl are clueless.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Racer

"Just remember - half of the human race are of sub-average intelligence."

-r
Old 06-03-2004, 03:39 AM
Banned

i thought i was the only one!!!! :argue:
Old 06-03-2004, 09:27 AM
I6

I had someone say that the Acura TL is just a suped up Accord.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:57 AM
SOLD

TL 2.5, 3.2
TL 3.2, TL 3.2 Type-S

Actually I have heard rappers mention Acura's a couple times (below), BUT how many times have you heard rappers mention Infiniti's?

Notorious BIG, Juicy - "Used to live in a one room shack, now my mom pimps a Ac(ura) with minks on her back"

Mos Def, Got - (Can't remember 1st line, but then he says) "Roll around laid back with big rims on they Ac(ura)"

RZA from Wu-Tang, BOBBY - "Spin like a hubcap on an Ac(ura)"

I think the reason for this is that they can't proclaim Acura as much because it's not as much of a status symbol as other brands. How many times do you hear rappers talk about Benz's? ALL the time because they cost alot and they show you have a lot of money, that's the kind of flamboyance that comes with it
Old 06-03-2004, 11:09 AM
Pro

Confusing a TL with a Prelude pretty much borders on retardation; although people officially with retardation DO tend to have more common sense than plain stupid people. $.02
Old 06-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NightRider
Actually I have heard rappers mention Acura's a couple times (below), BUT how many times have you heard rappers mention Infiniti's?

Notorious BIG, Juicy - "Used to live in a one room shack, now my mom pimps a Ac(ura) with minks on her back"

Mos Def, Got - (Can't remember 1st line, but then he says) "Roll around laid back with big rims on they Ac(ura)"

Man you know your rap history.
I think the fugees (Clef), xzibit, and Eminem have rapped about Acura also.
And integras are really big on the street race scene
Old 06-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Enough of the rap talk. I can't beleive you all listen to that shit.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
It's good stuff. :ar15:
Old 06-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mobilezen
It's good stuff. :ar15:
Old 06-03-2004, 12:32 PM
SOLD

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
I respect your opinion. I do also really like classic rock, alternative, jazz, and some symphony though....
Old 06-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by NightRider

I think the reason for this is that they can't proclaim Acura as much because it's not as much of a status symbol as other brands. How many times do you hear rappers talk about Benz's? ALL the time because they cost alot and they show you have a lot of money, that's the kind of flamboyance that comes with it
I didn't even remember the one by the RZA...
Old 06-03-2004, 12:48 PM

I can appreciate some of ya'll know hip-hop but those songs are by artists no one listens too. Of course BIG but I was thinking more post Acura Legend songs. Legends were huge in the Hip-Hop community.

The only song I've ever heard a TL mentioned was Ja-Rule on some Steven Siegal movie soundtrack. Another song no one heard of or plays.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:54 PM
SOLD

I can appreciate some of ya'll know hip-hop but those songs are by artists no one listens too. Of course BIG but I was thinking more post Acura Legend songs. Legends were huge in the Hip-Hop community.

The only song I've ever heard a TL mentioned was Ja-Rule on some Steven Siegal movie soundtrack. Another song no one heard of or plays.
How about 2PAC and the Outlaws - Hail Mary - "Blastin mashin in a stolen Black Ac integra"
Old 06-03-2004, 12:56 PM

I said post Legend, which would mean post Integra.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:00 PM
SOLD

I said post Legend, which would mean post Integra.
K you got me there

Quick Reply: The clueless average Joe