Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control Annoyance

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Climate Control Annoyance

I don't like how the a/c is always on unless you hit the a/c button to turn it off. Even if it isn't on auto, which I rarely use because I like to be in control, after I shut it off and turn it back on the a/c is back on again. Most of the time I just like to vent outside air because using the a/c all the time and keeping the outside vent closed creates musty smells after a while, which I would like to avoid. Can you change this so a/c only comes on with the auto or a/c buttons?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
put it at the max temp setting
I dont think theres a way to change that setting..
Old 05-28-2009, 08:38 PM
some like it stock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just remember to turn it off when you stop the car (let the car run a few seconds) and turn it back on when you start it. no more musty smell.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Vent

Originally Posted by Johnny_b
I don't like how the a/c is always on unless you hit the a/c button to turn it off. Even if it isn't on auto, which I rarely use because I like to be in control, after I shut it off and turn it back on the a/c is back on again. Most of the time I just like to vent outside air because using the a/c all the time and keeping the outside vent closed creates musty smells after a while, which I would like to avoid. Can you change this so a/c only comes on with the auto or a/c buttons?
I use the voice command "climate control vent" - turns AC off (I'm pretty sure) and sets the vents to "flow through". I know this to work on my RL and pretty sure it works on our TL.

I'm sure you can do the same thing via the manual controls, but this is SO easy with voice command...

pop the sunroof up, crack the back right side window and it's VERY nice spring/fall driving!

Give it a try and see what you think.

Tom
Old 05-28-2009, 10:08 PM
05' AT SSM

I also am annoyed by this feature.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Can you change this so a/c only comes on with the auto or a/c buttons?
My TL's climate control retain its settings after the ignition is turned off.
If the climate control is in "Auto" mode with a set temp but the A/C is off, the fan runs but the A/C remains off even if the car is shut off and restarted.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tvande
I use the voice command "climate control vent" - turns AC off (I'm pretty sure) and sets the vents to "flow through". I know this to work on my RL and pretty sure it works on our TL.

I'm sure you can do the same thing via the manual controls, but this is SO easy with voice command...

pop the sunroof up, crack the back right side window and it's VERY nice spring/fall driving!

Give it a try and see what you think.

Tom
That would be great. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Will Y.
My TL's climate control retain its settings after the ignition is turned off.
If the climate control is in "Auto" mode with a set temp but the A/C is off, the fan runs but the A/C remains off even if the car is shut off and restarted.

Not if you shut the climate control off first. Doesn't matter, I still would like the a/c to be on when I want it to be on, and not when the computer wants it to be on.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:27 AM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm also confused with exactly how the A/C and temperature control works. However I like to blast the A/C until a comfortable temperature is reached then I switch to Auto which I'm also fine with.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:26 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
The A/C only comes on when you either select AUTO and the interior temperature requires it to come on, or you manually press the A/C button.

When I use my A/C, I always set the temperature to my desired setting, then press AUTO. The AUTO setting is the best way to go to properly cool the car and will switch to outside air and cycle the compressor once the proper interior temperature is reached. I turn it off serveral miles before I get to my destination and run the fan on high to begin to dry out the evaporator. This eliminates the musty odors some experience.

To do this from the AUTO setting, I;
o Press the A/C button.
o Activate voice and say, "Climate control dash".
o Set the fan speed on the highest, or one down from the highest setting.

When not using the A/C, which is most of the time, I have my fan speed set to either two or three and the venting directed through the dash vents. I find all of this works perfectly for me.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Not if you shut the climate control off first. Doesn't matter, I still would like the a/c to be on when I want it to be on, and not when the computer wants it to be on.
:shakehead If you want vent air, why shut off the climate control?
Set for "Auto," push A/C to "off" and don't ever shut off the climate control-- vent air with no A/C. Voila!
Old 05-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Will Y.
:shakehead If you want vent air, why shut off the climate control?
Set for "Auto," push A/C to "off" and don't ever shut off the climate control-- vent air with no A/C. Voila!
Old 05-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
The A/C only comes on when you either select AUTO and the interior temperature requires it to come on, or you manually press the A/C button.

When I use my A/C, I always set the temperature to my desired setting, then press AUTO. The AUTO setting is the best way to go to properly cool the car and will switch to outside air and cycle the compressor once the proper interior temperature is reached. I turn it off serveral miles before I get to my destination and run the fan on high to begin to dry out the evaporator. This eliminates the musty odors some experience.

To do this from the AUTO setting, I;
o Press the A/C button.
o Activate voice and say, "Climate control dash".
o Set the fan speed on the highest, or one down from the highest setting.

When not using the A/C, which is most of the time, I have my fan speed set to either two or three and the venting directed through the dash vents. I find all of this works perfectly for me.

Actually the a/c also comes on when when you simply hit the fan speed button.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

Actually the a/c also comes on when when you simply hit the fan speed button.
Not in either one of my TL's ('04 and '05). As a matter of fact, I did this several times on the way home from work today because of a heavy rain storm. The fan speed up and down buttons just change the speed of the blower motor.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:49 PM
some like it stock

he might have it in auto mode still? in which case the fan speed is actually temp, i think... i leave it at AUTO 73 degrees.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Racer

Not in either one of my TL's ('04 and '05). As a matter of fact, I did this several times on the way home from work today because of a heavy rain storm. The fan speed up and down buttons just change the speed of the blower motor.

From off, hit the up fan arrow. If the a/c isn't always on when you do this, then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe there is some kind of setting that can be changed.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jack the ex-cynic
he might have it in auto mode still? in which case the fan speed is actually temp, i think... i leave it at AUTO 73 degrees.
No. Not on auto. When you adjust the fan speed, auto shuts off anyway. And when you turn it on by the fan button, auto is not on.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:05 PM
some like it stock

hmm. i'll check it out on mine (08 type-S) and see if i can figure something out.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

From off, hit the up fan arrow. If the a/c isn't always on when you do this, then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe there is some kind of setting that can be changed.
I only use the AUTO setting when I want to use my A/C, which is not frequently, but more like less than half the time in the summer. And when I do use my A/C, I invoke it with the AUTO setting.

When I no longer wish to use my A/C, this is what I do;
o If it is in recirculate mode, I disable that then press the A/C button on the right side of my NAV unit. This shuts down the A/C and does not display fan speed or flow direction.
o Then I use the voice commands and say, "Climate control dash". This forces the display to show vent direction.
o Next I lower the temperature to the "Lo" setting.
o Then finally, I make whatever fan speed adjustments I want.

While this may sound like a lot of bother, it takes my from AUTO to MANUAL setting in the manner in which I have found to be most comfortable to me.

If I then change fan speed (either by voice or manually) the A/C will not come on and the system remains in MANUAL mode.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Fan speed is never "temp". It is what it says; fan speed. Before I select AUTO for A/C use, I select the temperature at which I want my HVAC to operate. You do this with the UP and DOWN temperature buttons, not the fan speed selectors - at least for NAV TL's. Can't speak for non-NAV systems.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Automatic climate control is stupid. It's probably the only luxury feature I wish my car DIDN'T have.

It always wants to turn the A/C on and the fact is you are always using more gas with the a/c running, not to mention putting more wear and tear on your car.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by Babnik
Automatic climate control is stupid. It's probably the only luxury feature I wish my car DIDN'T have.

It always wants to turn the A/C on and the fact is you are always using more gas with the a/c running, not to mention putting more wear and tear on your car.
In fact, it uses less energy to move the compressor than to push past air-resistance. As well, by having you windows up you are keeping a ton of dirt from collecting on the interior, especially the pillars.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

They covered that on mythbusters, and found that you have to be going at highway speeds before having your windows open would cause enough resistance to outweigh the extra gas requried by the a/c.

So for me it's usually, on highways windows up, and in the city windows down.

But sometimes even having the fan on but without the a/c provides sufficient cooling if it's not too hot outside.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by csmeance
In fact, it uses less energy to move the compressor than to push past air-resistance. As well, by having you windows up you are keeping a ton of dirt from collecting on the interior, especially the pillars.
Yep. Modern A/C systems are very good and very efficient. In September 2005, my wife and I got a late start on our vacation trip. We normally leave at 4:15am but on that day, we were watching a hurricane off the southeast coast so we didn't hit the road until noon. This meant very warm temperatures and use of the A/C for the entire trip down. On the first leg of the trip which had speeds ranging from 62 to 78 in moderately heavy traffic, we managed 33.94 MPG (measured, not MID) in my '04 manual with the stock EL42 tires. Again, this was with the A/C running the entire time, a loaded car, and two people on board.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

They covered that on mythbusters, and found that you have to be going at highway speeds before having your windows open would cause enough resistance to outweigh the extra gas requried by the a/c.

So for me it's usually, on highways windows up, and in the city windows down.

But sometimes even having the fan on but without the a/c provides sufficient cooling if it's not too hot outside.
True. And I do the same most of the time in and around home and town.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Racer

I only use the AUTO setting when I want to use my A/C, which is not frequently, but more like less than half the time in the summer. And when I do use my A/C, I invoke it with the AUTO setting.

When I no longer wish to use my A/C, this is what I do;
o If it is in recirculate mode, I disable that then press the A/C button on the right side of my NAV unit. This shuts down the A/C and does not display fan speed or flow direction.
o Then I use the voice commands and say, "Climate control dash". This forces the display to show vent direction.
o Next I lower the temperature to the "Lo" setting.
o Then finally, I make whatever fan speed adjustments I want.

While this may sound like a lot of bother, it takes my from AUTO to MANUAL setting in the manner in which I have found to be most comfortable to me.

If I then change fan speed (either by voice or manually) the A/C will not come on and the system remains in MANUAL mode.
I do pretty much the same thing as you. To turn it on I just hit the up fan speed from off. This automatically puts the a/c on, in which case I turn it off immediately using the a/c button. Pretty annoying, which was my original point.

As you said, using auto may or may not put a/c on depending on conditions in the car. The conditions may be suitable for a/c in the computers "mind", but not in mine.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:52 PM
New TL owner

If I'm not mistaken our manual tells us to keep the outside vent open for normal AC use. Just an idea from a newb.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by surreal1221
If I'm not mistaken our manual tells us to keep the outside vent open for normal AC use. Just an idea from a newb.
When you use the AUTO setting, the system will attempt to lower the cabin temperature as quickly as possible. This means it will automatically enable the recirculate mode if needed. Once the preset temperature is reached, it will revert to outside air.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

I do pretty much the same thing as you. To turn it on I just hit the up fan speed from off. This automatically puts the a/c on, in which case I turn it off immediately using the a/c button. Pretty annoying, which was my original point.

As you said, using auto may or may not put a/c on depending on conditions in the car. The conditions may be suitable for a/c in the computers "mind", but not in mine.
In my TL's you cannot turn the fan off by itself. You have to turn off the entire system. I always have may fan running in either position two or three (mostly two) and this does not engage my A/C. My A/C only comes on when I either use the AUTO mode or turn it on manually.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Why would you always have your fan running?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Racer

In my TL's you cannot turn the fan off by itself. You have to turn off the entire system.
I know that. I would think that would be the same in all TL's.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
if the a/c didnt come on automaticly you guys would bitch about that too....
Old 05-30-2009, 12:39 PM
One or Two?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dunno if this is bad, but I keep my car on recirculate like 100% of the time. I don't like outside air/dust/smog etc getting into the car. I did this on my honda accord for 12 years and never had a problem.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Why would you always have your fan running?
Helps move air through the cabin.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chuanger
I dunno if this is bad, but I keep my car on recirculate like 100% of the time. I don't like outside air/dust/smog etc getting into the car. I did this on my honda accord for 12 years and never had a problem.
This is not so good, especially if you are running your A/C or driving in less that dry conditions (as in rain or higher humidity). It can cause your windows to fog up inside.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by vinnier6
if the a/c didnt come on automaticly you guys would bitch about that too....
My A/C doesn't come on automatically unless I select AUTO which means it is controlled by me and that is my preference. Just like auto-on headlamps.. I don't like those, either.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

The main gripe I have is that the temperate cannot be adjusted without putting the system into auto mode.

So if I want to turn on just the fan (no a/c) but I want to change the temperature of the air the fan is blowing, I have to press auto, which may or may not cause the a/c to turn on (but usually will), then I have to adjust the temp, then I have to turn off the auto again. Compare this with cars without automatic climate control, where all I'd have to do is turn the dial to the desired temperature.

The dual zone climate control is another useless feature which I hate, but at least it doesn't come into play unless I press the dual button so I can ignore it.

Another complaint, why does the non-navi TL not have an inside temperature readout? It obviously knows what the temperature is because the automatic climate control system needs to know that in order to work, why did the designers choose to not display that somewhere?
Old 05-30-2009, 02:11 PM
some like it stock

sorry but this post does not make sense. you don't get to choose the temperature of the air that comes out of the vents with the A/C off. it's whatever comes in from the outside. cars without auto climate control typically only have fan speed controls (how much air) and you can choose vent, A/C (cold) or max A/C (colder).

i really don't get this disgruntlement with auto climate control. you pick a temperature. if it's too cold, you make it hotter. if it's not cold enough, you make it colder. do you guys complain about the thermostats in your house too, or do you have a collection of small, medium and large fans, with an open icebox for "extra cooling"?
Old 05-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

sorry but this post does not make sense. you don't get to choose the temperature of the air that comes out of the vents with the A/C off. it's whatever comes in from the outside.
That's ridiculous, of course you can contrl the temp of the air with the a/c off. Setting the temp higher causes more hot air to be diverted from the engine into the cabin, whereas setting it to the lowest setting causes only outside air to be pulled in without blowing it through the radiator/coolant.

Now if you want to make the claim that the coldest air can be without the a/c on is the temp of the outside air, then that is correct.

i really don't get this disgruntlement with auto climate control. you pick a temperature. if it's too cold, you make it hotter. if it's not cold enough, you make it colder. do you guys complain about the thermostats in your house too, or do you have a collection of small, medium and large fans, with an open icebox for "extra cooling"?
My complaint was that the automatic climate control takes away control from me, and turns on the a/c when it's not necessary.

For example, if the temperature outside is 22 degrees celcius and I want the temperature inside my car to be 22 degrees, why is it necessary to turn the a/c on, rather than simply blowing in outside air? Yet the climate system will turn on the a/c, thus putting extra load on my engine, reducing my mileage, and causing extra wear and tear, when it ISN"T necessary.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:38 PM
some like it stock

That's ridiculous, of course you can contrl the temp of the air with the a/c off. Setting the temp higher causes more hot air to be diverted from the engine into the cabin, whereas setting it to the lowest setting causes only outside air to be pulled in without blowing it through the radiator/coolant.

Now if you want to make the claim that the coldest air can be without the a/c on is the temp of the outside air, then that is correct.
my point was that you can't make the air temperature any colder than the outside air without A/C. i thought that's what you were getting at. i think i understand what you are saying now. sorry

Quick Reply: Climate Control Annoyance