Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Clearing the Headlights Legal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 07:25 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Clearing the Headlights Legal?

I have seen a few posts about having the headlights "cleared" on this site, and as I think it looks nice to do so, I was wondering if it is legal in most states.

I live in Virginia where cars are inspected every year, and although I haven't checked the law here, I am pretty sure clearing the headlights would be illegal.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject, or provide any useful information?
Old 12-08-2004, 08:01 AM
On the way!

I doubt it's legal. Those orange reflectors are there because the Feds told the manufacturere to put them there.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
definetly illegal
Old 12-08-2004, 08:11 AM
Shift_faster

Yup. Illegal.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fla-tls
I doubt it's legal. Those orange reflectors are there because the Feds told the manufacturere to put them there.
Ok...so it is illegal. I guess folks who are doing it either don't care, or live in states that do not have a safety inspection program.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:00 AM
On the way!

Originally Posted by mporter410
Ok...so it is illegal. I guess folks who are doing it either don't care, or live in states that do not have a safety inspection program.
I think they don't care that it's illegal. They probably think the odds of them getting a ticket are about that same as the mattress police busting them for removing the tag on a pillow.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:16 AM
What's a TL?

I think they don't care that it's illegal. They probably think the odds of them getting a ticket are about that same as the mattress police busting them for removing the tag on a pillow.
Hillarious...rep points for you...

As picky as the LAPD and the CHP seem to be with modded cars in my area, this particular mod doesn't worry me too much. My smokes corners have yellow bulbs underneath, and, apparently, what the cops really are looking for with headlights is a yellow running light/turn signal, so I should be ok.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Pro

It's illegal... but I don't think it's a major issue. I'm sure as long as you have some amber bulbs flashing when the turn signal is on, you won't have a problem.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:28 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
yeah its illegal but then it depends on the cop or depends on if ur car is RICED out or not. I go by cops all the time and once i was going side by side with city cop and i looked at him and he was looking at my car's headlights so he never pulled me over.

So I say do it if you don't yearly inspection.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjatt559
yeah its illegal but then it depends on the cop or depends on if ur car is RICED out or not. I go by cops all the time and once i was going side by side with city cop and i looked at him and he was looking at my car's headlights so he never pulled me over.

So I say do it if you don't yearly inspection.

Are you suggesting that cops profile owners of "riced out" cars? What exactly fits the profile then?
Old 12-08-2004, 10:56 AM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Yup. Illegal.
Who did your lights? , or did you find someone else/do it yourself? I 've been wanting to do mine for a long time but I don't want to pay $200 to get it done, then eventually end up getting screwed somehow because of it. Also, what are you going to do at inspection time? It's apparent to me you'll fail inspection(unless you know someone who'll hook you up)because your amber reflector is missing; if you do, then what? You'll have to replace your lights, or at least the reflector to get your car back on the road.
Don't get me wrong, I think the cleared lights make the car look way better, and I want to do it myself, but I just don't want to waste my money and go through any BS so my car can look a little better.
I'd like to hear your view on this, since you already got it done, and any comments to my post.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:14 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Are you suggesting that cops profile owners of "riced out" cars? What exactly fits the profile then?
no i'm just saying that riced out cars get more attention from cops
Old 12-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by EnJ
Who did your lights? , or did you find someone else/do it yourself? I 've been wanting to do mine for a long time but I don't want to pay $200 to get it done, then eventually end up getting screwed somehow because of it. Also, what are you going to do at inspection time? It's apparent to me you'll fail inspection(unless you know someone who'll hook you up)because your amber reflector is missing; if you do, then what? You'll have to replace your lights, or at least the reflector to get your car back on the road.
Don't get me wrong, I think the cleared lights make the car look way better, and I want to do it myself, but I just don't want to waste my money and go through any BS so my car can look a little better.
I'd like to hear your view on this, since you already got it done, and any comments to my post.
My lights were done by Mr -----. I paid $200 to get it done. Not sure what I plan on doing at inspection time. I know a couple of shops that should not be a problem, but I'd rather not go that route.

I'd like to try to pass with just orange bulbs and see whether that will work. I guess I will find out in a few months...I will definitely keep you updated. I understand your concern, but I thought it was worth it.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:03 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is a link to the NHTSA/DOT web site showing required marker lights/reflectors and thier color/position for those who care:

NHTSA - DOT Fed Lighting and Equipment Specification

It tells you that you have to have yellow side reflectors, and yellow turn signal lights.

for rear, you have to have red reflectors on back and side, red lights for the brake/running light, and yellow or red for the blinkers.

Also, liscence plate lights need to be white (not blue or other colors).
Old 12-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
does it really matter??? do cleared headlights blind drivers??? r they brighter? or r they doing this 2 get back at us cuz we hav tls and they r stuck wit ford crown vics wit little lights in them??? if they had they had the tl, they could plot spike points on the navi and look up license plates on it lol jkjkjk

96 toyo landcrusier
Old 12-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjatt559
no i'm just saying that riced out cars get more attention from cops

Ricers get more attention from everybody. Isn't that pretty much the whole point of it? Same with the fuktards with the 1000kw stereos.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:16 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Originally Posted by jdone

Ricers get more attention from everybody. Isn't that pretty much the whole point of it? Same with the fuktards with the 1000kw stereos.

but dont be talking shit on 1000kw stereo guys, cuz i might be putting one in my TL
Old 12-09-2004, 06:58 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Actually that tag is there to warn retailers that they cannot remove the tag (that is why it says it cannot be removed except buy the person who buys it) because consumers need to know what the mattress is made out of it and whats in it.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:24 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
does it really matter??? do cleared headlights blind drivers??? r they brighter? or r they doing this 2 get back at us cuz we hav tls and they r stuck wit ford crown vics wit little lights in them??? if they had they had the tl, they could plot spike points on the navi and look up license plates on it lol jkjkjk

96 toyo landcrusier
Actually the codes for color are for consistency so all drivers know what your signals mean.

The yellow reflectors on the front and red on the rear tell people which direction the car is facing and potentially moving.

And yes, the blinkers are blinding when cleared, as the intensity of light is so great it causes disability glare, especially when the tails are cleared.

All moving objects have signal lights that are mandated in color, from ships (the old red right return, clear stern light, etc) to aircraft (similar to ships, one side has green, the other red, tail light is clear) so that on can determine direction by color of light that is visible. If the captains decided to clear those out, main would there be problems and collisions!

So in my book it is not tight to have cleared headlights and taillights and use clear bulbs (unless of course you have the lights shine correct colors, but then it is not clear is it)!

Rules are rules, and should not be broken as you endanger others.

So go a head and flame all you want, but there are safety reasons not to clear headlights and taillights.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:45 PM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by GaleForce
Actually that tag is there to warn retailers that they cannot remove the tag (that is why it says it cannot be removed except buy the person who buys it) because consumers need to know what the mattress is made out of it and whats in it.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
To our original poster--even though others have said "So what if it's illegal," bear in mind that you live in Virginia and that you have to do the annual safety inspection. It's been a while since I looked at the list of what has to be inspected, but lights are on there, and doing this could be a reason to flunk you. Why chance wasting the money?
Old 12-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No and...

It looks like the Fed's are on the verge of making any modifcations to the stock lighting illegal.

New rules pending that will not tolerate any deviation from the factory standard lighting - it's going to be stock or stockade. Also no more aftermarket bulbs that aren't DOT standards compliant. So HID retrofits or deviations from the stock bulb specifications will also be illegal.

This one has been coming for about 2 years.