Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Grille transplant from TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Chrome Grille transplant from TSX?

I took some rough measurements with my pocket comb. I didn't have a tape measure with me. It looks as if the chrome grille in the TSX is the same size and shape as the painted grille in the TL.

I wonder if they are interchangeable??

Do you know? Have you tried it? I think it would be a hot mod for the TL. Imagine the TL up there on the header with a chrome grille to go with the chrome wheels....

XP
Old 06-13-2004, 12:03 AM
You touch my tra la la...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couldn't you just have your grill chromed?
Old 06-13-2004, 01:11 AM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GaleForce
Couldn't you just have your grill chromed?
Old 06-13-2004, 11:58 AM
VTEC HoooA

I wish the TL had the chrome accents instead of the "shadow line" as they call it (cough BMW rip off COUGH). Chrome accents look 10x better and lend the car a more expensive look!!

Alas I guess they preferred a material that showed finger prints from 1 mile out!
Old 06-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Drifting

Not a fan of chrome, I'd pass on chrome.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:22 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
I wish the TL had the chrome accents instead of the "shadow line" as they call it (cough BMW rip off COUGH). Chrome accents look 10x better and lend the car a more expensive look!!

Alas I guess they preferred a material that showed finger prints from 1 mile out!
The line is a lot nicer than "OMFG BLING BLING DOLLA BILLS YALL."
Old 06-14-2004, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

All that glitters is not plastic...

The TL grille surround and insert is plastic painted flat silver. Looks like Kmart Krylon.

The TSX appears to be chromed metal. Without checking it with a micrometer, they look to be the same grille except for the finish.

I prefer the look of metal to the look of plastic. But that's just me.

XP
Old 06-14-2004, 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by mobilezen
Not a fan of chrome, I'd pass on chrome.

werd
Old 06-14-2004, 09:52 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

The chrome would look very out of character with the TL. Not only is it using aluminum, but all the 'normal' places you'd find the chrome (on the bumpers, around the windows, around the rear windshield, atop the license plate, etc) are done in a non-metallic finish. I'd think that if you chromed the wheels, grill, and license plate trim you'd find the car is still lacking due to the lack of the other chrome that the TL is missing.

Bottom line: The aluminum adds just a touch of bling to an otherwise understated design posture. The TL's awesome body sculpting is the pizzaz of the car.....doesn't need the shiny stuff.

BJ
Old 06-14-2004, 10:20 AM
SOLD

In my opinion Chrome without being overdone looks classy. I had it on my Benz on the door handles and all the way around the car at bumper height (factory still). Looked awesome. The MDX and TSX have it, why can't we? Especially the gille, I like the TSX grille better than ours also. I still find it funny (check another thred on here) how Acura mixes and matches their "features" on their cars.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:56 AM
SOLD

Originally Posted by NightRider
In my opinion Chrome without being overdone looks classy. I had it on my Benz on the door handles and all the way around the car at bumper height (factory still). Looked awesome. The MDX and TSX have it, why can't we? Especially the gille, I like the TSX grille better than ours also. I still find it funny (check another thred on here) how Acura mixes and matches their "features" on their cars.
Anyone ever notice how no BMW's have chrome but Benz's do? Also noticing BMW's (sedans) look more sporty than Benz's? The same with our TL, the exterior is meant to look more sporty than luxurious. Ever seen a BMW with chrome wheels? I have and there's a reason lot of people don't have them on BMW. This is the same reason why they would not look good on the TL.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Silver threads among the gold...

Originally Posted by boltjames
Bottom line: The aluminum adds just a touch of bling to an otherwise understated design posture. The TL's awesome body sculpting is the pizzaz of the car.....doesn't need the shiny stuff.

BJ
I hear what you're saying and we have been communicating long enough that I think I know your taste. Maybe I have some genre confussion (or just old fashioned).

A person's perspective has a lot to do with expectations. My TL is not broken in yet. I have not gone more than 3000 RPM or 65 MPH. I have not taken a corner quickly. I am enjoying it for its luxury touches, its comfort, its quiet, its understated elegance. I am viewing it as a mid-sized luxury car. Ergo, like a Lexus, BMW 5, Cad CTS, I find a touch of brightwork to be consistent with its mission.

If I come to view it as a luxurious sports sedan rather than a sporty luxury sedan, I may apply different criteria. This could happen. For example, I wouldn't want chrome on a Porsche Boxter S, a Corvette, a Lotus Elise.

But since there is already a piece of painted plastic (I think) on the leading edge of my hood on the TL, I prefer the look of the TSX in the same place. It has more substance. And I consider the TSX to be more "sporty" than the TL. :P

Are you saying that the strip is aluminum (metal) rather than just plastic painted aluminum color? I feel slightly better if that were the case.

XP
Old 06-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Instructor

That is what's great about this country. To each his own. Personally, I like the idea of changing the front grill to a chrome one. It would go great with my chrome wheels!