Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing Between Black or Silver

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 08:10 PM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Choosing Between Black or Silver

So, now that I've test driven the 6MT and am fairly thrilled with its performance, I'm at the next stage: color choice.

Of all the colors, the lack thereof (black) seems the most compelling to me on the lot. I don't know why, but it is.

Now, I've been told over and over what that means: constant cleaning, ulgy stone chips, swirling, and every little mark looks aweful.

And, I'll tell ya what... I'm not a guy who enjoys maintenance! My deck is made from trex!

But, I don't know what to do, because the Anthracite didn't do it for me at all, and the green and blue only are available in the quartz interior (I really want ebony).

So, Ebony interiors are available in:

white (absolutely not)
grey (not doing it for me - the TSX grey is much, much better!)
silver (boring, but stylish)
desert mist (nope)
black (sharp as a tack in the lot... didn't see any that had been really out in the weather)

In fact, it's more than just color. Certain colors (white) make the car look absolutely different! Strange, but the black makes the car look the most stout and aggressive. The blue and green make it look more family sedan, and the white makes it look like a 300M. Seriously, in white, it looks much longer for some reason!

Anyway, that's my dilemma. I know this is my choice, but if anyone has any anecdotes for and against black or silver, I'd be happy to hear them and incorporate them into my decision making process.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 11-22-2003, 08:31 PM
DNA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about Red/Ebony? I would have seriously considered that had it been available when I put down my deposit a couple months ago.

I love black but there isn't a ghost of a chance I'd give it the time it demands. My boss also has a 04 TL. His is silver/ebony and that also makes it look a lot different than my anthracite. I like the rear of mine better but the front of his silver better (the front grill looks better, as has been mentioned by others). Silver/Ebony must be the lowest maintenance combination available. In the long run, maintenance is far more important to me than color. Beauty is transient but maintenance is forever.

-David
Old 11-22-2003, 09:09 PM
CEO of IMHO

David,

Hadn't considered red because I have a red integra, and was looking for a change, but I could take a look at it again...

My only issue with the red right now: it blends in with the rear tail lights in a not-ideal way. That's it, though...

Jon
Old 11-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Cruisin'

I was in the same predicament that you are.
I think if you like the lines of the TL to show up better (the line along the sides, and the acura imprint on the front), then Silver is the best choice.
I decided on Black because I liked how everything blends in better. The gaps are less noticeable, blends in with the tires and trim around the doors. I personally like the lines of the car and the acura imprint on the front to be more subtle, so I think a darker colour car does just that. Plus I like how the Silver front grille, and silver Acura TL logos on the rear of the car seem to stand out much better on the black car. Whereas on a Silver, i think all the silver would blend in and the grille and logos don't stand out as much.
So yeah, I'm going with black because of all that...and also because I think there's too many silver cars on the road (probably just as many black), but it just seems to me that most people these days are buying silver cars because of the low maintenance issue.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Instructor

black is nice when clean & hot in sun

you can bake with black& black in summer,
very nice when clean, but is very rarely clean unless you work on it, its a choice, my dealer has silver, ebony nav, available, but want silver, quartz nav,
Old 11-23-2003, 09:44 AM
Burning Brakes

I opted for White this time..had two silver TLs and needed a change. I think the white looks like it has a much higher quality paint job, and the color blends the bumpers into the body panels very well.

I won't do a dark colored car again for a while..just too aggravating to maintain, and too damn hot in summer.

Go with silver over black...black, to me, makes the car look less distinctive...it loses some of the lines at certain angles, and loses even more lines at other angles.

I agree with the guys comment about the red paint clashing with the red tail lights. I don't love the red or the blue or the desert color.

By the way, I've got the quartz interior and I totally love it. Had black interior on the last two and loved it also, but like you said, you can't get black in the white TL.

Good luck choosing.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Cruisin'

If you want to know what the manufacturer thinks, look at their brochures, magazine and television ads. They will feature the colors they believe are most complimentary. What you'll find is a lot of silver, anthracite and black.

For my money, I consider the new car excitement factor (isn't that part of the fun?) That means black, notwithstanding the maintenance hassle.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by AMDG
If you want to know what the manufacturer thinks, look at their brochures, magazine and television ads. They will feature the colors they believe are most complimentary. What you'll find is a lot of silver, anthracite and black.
Are you saying that since there's more silver than anything else in the brochures, that means silver is the right color to get???

They put the colors that photograph the best in the brochures, but I don't see any reason why that fact should determine what color a person chooses. Personally I don't care what the manufacturer thinks looks good. For one thing, they've chosen to produce some pretty ugly colors through the years.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:02 PM
CEO of IMHO

What I'd really like to see is a picture of someone's black 04TL after it not being washed for 2 weeks.

That would help me decide.

Jon
Old 11-23-2003, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by JonDeutsch
What I'd really like to see is a picture of someone's black 04TL after it not being washed for 2 weeks.

That would help me decide.

Jon
Look at any black car that hasn't been washed in two weeks, hell one week, and I'm sure you'll see that it looks pretty bad. All black cars look bad after being out for a few days when compared to lighter colored cars with the same exposure.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:15 PM
CEO of IMHO

Crap. I know.

Why couldn't Acura give us the TSX's shade of gray?!?!

Jon

Originally posted by ACURADDICT
Look at any black car that hasn't been washed in two weeks, hell one week, and I'm sure you'll see that it looks pretty bad. All black cars look bad after being out for a few days when compared to lighter colored cars with the same exposure.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:00 PM
Racer

Jon:

Go for the silver/black. Lowest maintenance color combo; desert mist would be as low maintenance too, actually. Acura can special order a color/combo for you. You'd have to wait a long time, but I understand it can be done.

People that buy black exterior cars need to be incredibly anal about maintenance (the only way to keep it clean) and it sounds like you're not one of those people. You're too busy adjusting the sound system. ;-)
Old 11-23-2003, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Are you saying that since there's more silver than anything else in the brochures, that means silver is the right color to get???

They put the colors that photograph the best in the brochures, but I don't see any reason why that fact should determine what color a person chooses. Personally I don't care what the manufacturer thinks looks good. For one thing, they've chosen to produce some pretty ugly colors through the years.
You're right, color is a personal choice; there's no right or wrong.

But, yes, the advertising is the best indicator of what color the company believes the car looks best in. Billions of dollars each year are spent on advertising campaigns (print and TV) and a tremendous amount of market research is conducted to make the product as appealing as possible. Bottom line: Acura and the majority of its focus group believe the TL looks best in silver. I happen to agree. As I've said umpteen times on this board, it shows off the muscular lines of the car to best effect. It's also the easiest to maintain, it matches the stock wheels exactly (thereby nicely setting off the whole ensemble), and statistically has the highest resale value.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:22 PM
Burning Brakes

I will get you a pic of my Black TL after a week. I plan on washing it once a week. I have had it for almost 4 days now and it still looks perfect-reason because I garage it so the sun isnt beaming down on it, and dust and all other stuff that floats around are at a minimum. I feel the black on black is very classy and sporty at the same time. Wait till you add the 18's to the black@!!!!
Old 11-23-2003, 11:53 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here is my car about 4 days after it was washed. I do keep mine garaged though and I think that makes a difference. I will take pics of it tomorrow. I think it will have been over two weeks. It still looks very clean and shiny.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=65130
Old 03-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Instructor

What about a Silver/Ebony combo with Black rims.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
I read your original post and none of the others, so pardon me if this has been said.

If you're not a fan of cleaning, then you're not going to want ebony interior. Much like black paint on the exterior, every little thing shows up: from dust, to towel lint, to hair (especially if it's light like mine). Granted, it looks awesome when clean -- and I keep mine clean and spiffy all the time -- but it's not like tan or grey interior where you can just kind of clean it whenever; it requires diligent maintenance. I have a WDP/ebony and know all about it.

Just food for thought. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:35 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hellloooooooooo!!!! Posted in 2003!!! LMAO!!

He has probably bought a 04 NBP and traded it for a 07 TL-S by now! LOL!!
Old 03-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Holy crap.

Me + AcuraTL06Racer = retarded
Old 03-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Old 03-02-2007, 11:58 AM
9th Gear

No matter what car I've driven, I clean it on the regular! Living in So. Cal is an advantage....

In my opinion, there is no excuse for driving a dirty car for days on end.

One can buy detailing spray for use between washes and a duster. For a modest

investment, one can maintain their car without spending a lot of time or money

on car washes.

BTW I've had a white car, I have a silver car, and I've recently bought a

Black 2007 TL Type-S
Old 03-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Cruisin'

Even though I get my car washed frequently (my comapny pays for all washes), I still chose silver over black for my '07 TL, mainly due to concern over swirl marks and chips.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Trucki!!

I guess I am biased towards silver, but I was in the same place as you awhile ago. It came down between black and silver for me, but being anal about the appearance of my car silver was a better fit. It I had bought the black I would have died of a heart attack by now.

But if you are willing to pamper your car everyweek and have a garage, by all means get the black its super sexy.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lembowski
I guess I am biased towards silver, but I was in the same place as you awhile ago. It came down between black and silver for me, but being anal about the appearance of my car silver was a better fit. It I had bought the black I would have died of a heart attack by now.

But if you are willing to pamper your car everyweek and have a garage, by all means get the black its super sexy.
I chose silver over red because I have been driving a maroon car for the few years, and the red was too close to maroon. Very happy not have the wash the car every weekend.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:37 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a BLACK 1999 TL BLACK (NBP) with EBONY

Currently, I have 2005 TL BLACK (NBP) with Ebony and 2001 MDX BLACK (NBP) Ebony

So as you can see, I love Nighthawk Pearl with Ebony.

Even the name for the paint color Nighthawk Black Pearl sounds Aggressive.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:41 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
umm I think acura will feature the most popular selling color (silver) not what color it happens to think the tl looks best in...I would recommend silver for you
Old 03-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally Posted by brettallica
Holy crap.

Me + AcuraTL06Racer = retarded

now thats funny

double funny, because I didn't catch that either when reading
Old 03-03-2007, 07:38 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by leedogg
umm I think acura will feature the most popular selling color (silver) not what color it happens to think the tl looks best in...I would recommend silver for you

That must be an opinion Leedogg, because when I bought my car, everyone at the dealership was touting the TL in NBP! The TL-S going around the mountain in the big brochure is black. And black is the color they run out of first on the lot! When I bought my car in November, there were plenty of other colors to choose from if I wanted...but I bought the very last 06 6MT NBP from Rosenthal!!!

In fact, no joke, when I was test driving my car for the sale, someone was on their way to the mall lot to buy it and a guy told them too late it's been sold. That "guy" was your's truly!!

Black may be difficult to keep clean. But damn! When it is...it smokes everything! Put it beside any other TL cleaned up and it looks the best! Super, super sexy!! The other TLs just look "nice". So whether or not it is indeed the most popular car I guess would have to be determined by actual sales records. But at the dealerships I called and wound up going to, it definitely was the sales leader as far as supply and demand. To me, that means the people have spoken!
Old 03-03-2007, 01:02 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by darksom1

That must be an opinion Leedogg, because when I bought my car, everyone at the dealership was touting the TL in NBP! The TL-S going around the mountain in the big brochure is black. And black is the color they run out of first on the lot! When I bought my car in November, there were plenty of other colors to choose from if I wanted...but I bought the very last 06 6MT NBP from Rosenthal!!!

In fact, no joke, when I was test driving my car for the sale, someone was on their way to the mall lot to buy it and a guy told them too late it's been sold. That "guy" was your's truly!!

Black may be difficult to keep clean. But damn! When it is...it smokes everything! Put it beside any other TL cleaned up and it looks the best! Super, super sexy!! The other TLs just look "nice". So whether or not it is indeed the most popular car I guess would have to be determined by actual sales records. But at the dealerships I called and wound up going to, it definitely was the sales leader as far as supply and demand. To me, that means the people have spoken!
I'm willing to bet that the regular tl sold to the average joe & jane is most popular in silver, an easy to maintain color for a minimal maintenance car. The TL type S, a sport variant which targets a more aggressive market, is likely preferred in a more aggressive color i.e. black, blue, etc.

Trust me, regardless of what color ACURA thinks the car looks best in, they will feature the cars, their customers actually buy the most of. If purple was the hottest selling color out there, I'm sure we would see purple acura's plastered on the brochures.

summary:

what people buy > what acura thinks
Old 03-03-2007, 01:10 PM
RAR

ah shit. I HATE being suckered into old threads. My first post was when I was on my treo though so I blame that for not seeing the dates..
Old 03-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Racer

most of the 06 tls are black at the local dealers here. the dealers told me that they dont sell well compared to the silver.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

Are you guys still choosing the color for him? After 3 years he still can't decide between the 2 colors?
Old 03-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Yeah, I think he's still having some trouble. Maybe you should chime in with your own comments as far as which color he should choose.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Racer

i personally would go with WDP
Old 03-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
I think you should reconsider WDP. I went though the same dilema as you, and by far it's the most dynamic color with its pearl effect. I've had mine a little over a year and it still looks brand new. And in sunlight or under street lights at night it just glows. No other TL color has the effect WDP does. Even when it's dirty it still looks good compared to otheer equally dirty cars. I got the tan interior since I wanted a luxury slant, but the grey interior w/carbon trim will look real slick. WDP all the way!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 08:11 PM
8th Gear

anthracite/ebony...hands down
Old 03-03-2007, 08:25 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Brettallica do you feel better now? You see you aren't the only one right? I wonder how long before they notice or JonDeutsch puts them out of their misery!

LMAO!!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Godfather of Chrome

It's funny how it just keeps going and going, even after we got called on it.