3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choice: G35Coupe or TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn g35 coupe all the way, i love my TL but not as much as some of the wheel setups you can get for that
Old 04-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Intermediate

Talking g35 or tl

Originally Posted by sammieboy
I know that this is a TL board and I have been combing these threads for weeks and months researching if the TL is the right choice for me. And I feel like it is for the most part. But the problem lies in the fact that whenever I am driving and I see a G35Coupe speed by, my eyes are glued to it the same way as if a hot chick strolled on by. It is definitely a head turner for me and it's just so damn sexy. But I only want to spend max 35k on a car. I know that for the money, the TL comes nicely equipped with a sweet NAVI system and the interior that comes standard is far better than the G35coupe's interior. For 35k on a G35, you dont get a premium interior but you get a fun car to drive. So does anyone has any thoughts into which car they would prefer if they had the choice between a loaded TL versus a basic G35coupe that will turn heads? I'm only asking this because I want to fully want the TL and not regret my buying decision, especially if I am going to drop 35 Large on a car. Thanks!!
dude i have an 05 tl i was in the same boat my brother has an 04 g35
i drive it alot its really a great sports coupe but when i get in my tl it a much better feeling behind the wheel of the tl
mine is fully loaded aspec kit navi 6speed all i want for it is the comptech super charger but the wifee says no dude honestly you have to decide if you want luxury ie the TL or sporty ride G35 they are both great cars but i will choose my TL any day of the week
Old 04-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Racer

I have been looking at the G35 and while it does beat the TL hands down in performance, at my age, I'm more interested in luxury. The TL beats the G35 hands down in that department. Now I have heard they are upgrading the interior and even if they could match or even beat the TL, the price tag is still too high. The TL is still $5-$6000 dollars cheaper, comparably equipped. Once the '07's are out, I'll be getting one. I have to admit the wait is driving me nuts, but good things come to he who waits!!!
Old 07-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I owned both. I actually owned 2 G35's before my TL now. And can tell you Quality is not there. Seats wear fast (where the inside material comes out). My 05 G35 had a ton of rattles and creaks the dealer could never fix. It was coming from the window seals. The G35 Sedan has a bigger trunk and more leg room in the rear over the TL. G35 gets about 20-21 mpg city/hwy and straight hwy it got 25mpg. The TL gets 23-24 mpg city/hwy and have yet to test it on the highway but I am sure its 30~.

I like the TL overall better. It is a more refined car.

Originally Posted by iksenna
I can offer some insight as I own both.

Quality
-The G is flawless. I like every other TL owner had rattles etc but the G has been flawless. Infiniti just seems to get the quality right straight out the box.
Practicality
-TL wins but not by much. Surprisngly the G has good space for seating at the back and so does the TL but obviously the TL has a far bigger trunk and has far superior passenger seating.
-Winter Driving
G is useless, no matter how good your winter tires are you have to be Ayrton Senna to get through ice, snow etc.
-Commuting
TL wins by a mile. The G is great for non-commuting long distances. The TL does a better job of keeping out the road noise.
-Performance
G wins but not by much. The TL is very quick from a stop/traffic light although the G is quicker overall
-Interior
TL by a landslide...the G is pretty ordinary which is why its getting refreshed this year. The TL is actually pretty stunning inside...
-Gas
Both are pretty good although the TL drinks gas quicker when you go 4,000+ revs and hit VTEC. The G is surprisingly good over long distances.
-Navigation
TL by a landslide....
Overall enjoyment
-I'm biased but the TL wins every time. Sure the G is a great car but just not practical. Its very powerful and surprisingly agile but press it hard and the back just swings right out. The TL has forward spin and its well-documented but nobody seems to make a big deal how the back just gets loose on the G when you press it.
The TL puts a smile on my face and I still get a wow factor every time I see my TL. The best compliment the only car that would make me drop the TL is the RS4...

You cant go wrong with either but I hope you can glean from my practical experience....Best of luck...
Old 07-05-2006, 07:32 PM
6th Gear

My 2 cents...

Just to throw my 2 cents into the discussion, I owned (until recently) both a 2004 G35 Coupe and a 2005 TL (both 6 speeds). I love(d) both cars, but just sold the G35 after 2 1/2 years. The G is a great sports car, it has that feeling of driving a special piece of machinery. It feels more exotic than its $35k price would have you believe. I absolutely loved driving it, my only complaint (which was not trivial) is that it was not particularly comfortable. The seat would give me lower back pain after about an hour, no matter how many combinations of seat adjustments I tried (at 6'0" and 200 lbs I'm not small, but not a giant either). I only put 10k miles on the G35 in 2 1/2 years because of this, I used it mostly for short fun drives (and I put 18k mi on my TL in only a year).

The G was solidly built, I never had a single problem with it (other than a few minor rattles, but no more than the TL, or any other new car has these days). The G35 Coupe styling is also show-car killer, even though it was "only" a G35 I would frequently get compliments from people (maybe it was the red paint...). The only other disappointment with the G was poor gas mileage. Even feather-footing it I only averaged about 18 mpg, and could never break 23 mpg in highway driving, even at a steady 60 mph.

Bottom line, with a 6 speed for me the TL is *almost* as fun to drive as the G35, is much more comfortable, and gets much better gas mileage. So, the TL stays, and the G35 went (traded on a Porsche Boxster). Before you buy a G35 Coupe, make sure you take it for a long (>1 hour) test drive to see if the seat is comfortable for you. On the G35 message boards it seems like a lot of people find the seat uncomfortable on long drives.

Either way, they are both great cars, you can't go wrong with either one. It's not a bad choice to have...

Have fun!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by psteng19
Interior TL >>>>>> G35
-materials TL >> G35
-fit/finish TL >>> G35
-layout/design/NAV TL >>>> G35

Driving G35 >>>>>>>> TL
-engine G35 >> TL
-handling G35 >>>> TL
-fun factor G35 >>>>>>> TL

It comes down to this question.
Do you like to drive, or do you like to ride?
I have both, and I agree with the above assements. The TL is probably a more long term car that you would get the most out of. The interior all goes to the TL, but the drive all goes to the G35. If its just you, and don't have any kids and don't plan on any soon, go with the G, then when you get tired of the sports car ride, get the TL.

Nevermind: this thread is old!!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Yea and after my long trip to Dallas, my right leg was hurting and I had pains in my back. The seats in the G35 suck. The seat controls push up against the side of your leg against a nerve and it causes pains. I never noticed it till I drove the car for a long period. The TL, is just way comfortable.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CBR1100XX

The G is an Altima with leather. The TL really as a whole is a more refined vehicle.

How do you like your Accord? I mean TL....

If I didnt own a 350Z and could only pick one car I'd buy a G35C with winter tires on the stock wheels and some 19s with toyos for the rest of the year.

I've had my 350Z for 2.5 years and with out a doubt would sell the TL before the Z.

but that's just me.

My TL is my beater.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:08 AM
RIP 06 TL

This is so funny this was the exact dilemma I ran into when trying to purchase my new ride....

The G35 is an AWESOME, flawless, fast, head turner.....but honestly the deciding factor for me was the trunk. The rear seating room was not bad for a sports coupe, but I was coming from a Silverado and the fact that you can't fit a golf bag in the trunk with out folding the seats down was frustrating to me!!

I am glad I decided to go with my 06 NBP....I think its the best decision I could have made....the interior is awesome, its still a head turner and its a blast to drive. The only thing I hate is the RATTLES!