Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chemical smell from the heater.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Chemical smell from the heater.

Ok, I thought this was just some sort of a break-in issue and would go away with time, but it doesn't seem to be getting better after a 1,000 miles:

There is a very strong chemical smell (maybe anti-freeze like) every time I start the car in the cold weather and run the climate control system. It takes a very long time to go away, at least ten minutes.

And it's not just in the morning. Every time the car sits for at least half hour parked, the smell is back when I start it. Though it's not as strong as in the morning.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 01-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

My best explanition is its probally te smell of the new plastic used for the vents. When you start the car you blow out all of the "chemical saturated" air. After a few minutes the air is not as chemical saturated and doesn't smell so bad. When you let it sit again the air becomes chemically saturated again. This smell will be a function of time, not miles.

Sorry if I got a bit technical on ya. Hope it makes sense.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Racer

I've smelled this before if It’s what I think your talking about. In my wife’s 04 Maxima her "Auto" climate system wants to put on the A/C all the time. She turns it off in the winter and just uses auto without the A/C until spring/summer time.

I hit the auto again the other day (which reactivates the A/C) and noticed that there was a strange and very strong chemical smell as well emanating from the dash. I turned the A/C off again and it went away shortly. I flipped it on again and I got it for a short while then it when away.

My guess is that it has something to do with the fact that its so cold out and perhaps its some sort of integrated system to control or eliminate mold or bacteria which might grow in the ducts, etc.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:15 PM
Instructor

if you are smelling anti-freeze

have dealer pressure check cooling system, could be a leak ,maybe from a hose that just needs to be tightened, such as in heater core, Do you notice any
wetness on floor in front foot wells?
Old 01-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Originally posted by greenseed
I've smelled this before if It’s what I think your talking about. In my wife’s 04 Maxima her "Auto" climate system wants to put on the A/C all the time. She turns it off in the winter and just uses auto without the A/C until spring/summer time.
The reason the AC comes on in winter is to dehumidify the air so the car does not fog up as easily in the winter. I agree it isn't necessary the AC is on all the time, but until the car is warmed up the AC is your friend. Just an FYI.

TheNip
Old 01-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Racer

Originally posted by TheNip73
The reason the AC comes on in winter is to dehumidify the air so the car does not fog up as easily in the winter. I agree it isn't necessary the AC is on all the time, but until the car is warmed up the AC is your friend. Just an FYI. TheNip
For the most part I realize that. I know in most (if not all) of today’s car automatically engages the A/C when the defroster is selected. I just don’t like driving around with the A/C on when it’s like 5 degrees out. However I second guess myself and think "Well if the car's "Auto" settings brings A/C on, then it knows what its doing" Right?

Don know! I'm on the fence with that one. Especially when is like 5 out.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Pro

So am I to assume that I'm the only one with this problem? If so, I'm taking the car in tomorrow!
Old 01-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Chemical smell from the heater.

Originally posted by dulnev
Ok, I thought this was just some sort of a break-in issue and would go away with time, but it doesn't seem to be getting better after a 1,000 miles:

There is a very strong chemical smell (maybe anti-freeze like) every time I start the car in the cold weather and run the climate control system. It takes a very long time to go away, at least ten minutes.

And it's not just in the morning. Every time the car sits for at least half hour parked, the smell is back when I start it. Though it's not as strong as in the morning.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Many of threads having talking about this...

First of all, if your car has no leaking, this smell will go away after thousands of miles.

Every car is different, mine has no more anti-freeze-like smell after 4500 miles. My friend's is smell-less after 2.5k. Bad luck to me.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Racer

i think i've smelled what you're talking about a couple of times, but it is not consistent every time i start the car. and it's been cold weather here since i've had the car.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:12 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by dulnev
So am I to assume that I'm the only one with this problem? If so, I'm taking the car in tomorrow!
dulnev,
you are obviously not alone. My TL has had the same antifreeze odor also. I now have 900+ on the car and every once in a while the smell is less and then the same. Overall I would say its getting less, though taking its own sweet time... I haven't noticed any leaks and the AF level has been the same from new. Initially I figured i'd be dealing with a leak in the heater core... But in that case the smell would usually get worse as the car warms up,,, more pressure the worse the leak etc.

Try something for me - from start in the morning, go directly to defrost only, not auto. Mine actually is much less/odorless with just the defrost... Try that as a test - not sure why that would be.

If you take it in keep me posted on the outcome. I probably would have mentioned it by now if the darn dealer wasn't 40 minutes away...

Thanks

Smitty
Old 01-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Pro

Originally posted by KJSmitty
dulnev,
you are obviously not alone. My TL has had the same antifreeze odor also. I now have 900+ on the car and every once in a while the smell is less and then the same. Overall I would say its getting less, though taking its own sweet time... I haven't noticed any leaks and the AF level has been the same from new. Initially I figured i'd be dealing with a leak in the heater core... But in that case the smell would usually get worse as the car warms up,,, more pressure the worse the leak etc.

Try something for me - from start in the morning, go directly to defrost only, not auto. Mine actually is much less/odorless with just the defrost... Try that as a test - not sure why that would be.

If you take it in keep me posted on the outcome. I probably would have mentioned it by now if the darn dealer wasn't 40 minutes away...

Thanks

Smitty
I will try what you suggest.