Sponsored by:

Check your factory installed plugs!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:36 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Very good to know...
I tightened in my own new set a year ago so i should be fine...but good to know.
I did the anti seize compound and I hand tightened...but i torque like a gorilla so that should do it.
Facotry spec is like 16lb/ft. I think I bumped up to 18 or 20. I don't know about gorilla-mode though.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Anonymous
.but i torque like a gorilla so that should do it.
Just so that the less experienced person is aware.....

Spark plugs threads in aluminum cylinder heads (like the TL) will strip *very* easy when over tightened. And, I am not talking about macho-man strength either. Even girl-like strength could strip the threads.

I would not dare to attempt tightening the spark plugs without a proper (quality) torque wrench. And, I have experience turning wrenches a lot and I would not attempting it without the torque wrench. I suppose that is where my experience pays-off with knowing what *not* to do.

*Every time* that I do an oil change and/or ATF change, I use a torque wrench too. Anytime a person tightens a fastener into aluminum it is very wise to use the torque wrench. Even then, I drop the spec'ed torque value to 15% less than stated... this is how careful I am with aluminum. I know who the boss is..... and it ain't me.

Closing thought = stripped plug thread = $$$$
Old 11-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
^^^very good advice.
i still remember when i did my valve cover gasket on my 97 accord...i BARELY torqued and snapped a bolt. what a mission looking for a replacement at the junkyard (before I realized that the dealership was easier for this stuff).

Anyway...i for these really small tq specs...you're better off getting an inch/pound torque wrench I would think because i used my big one and it would not "click" at 16 without making me feel like the bolt was going to snap.

the way i do it is I hand tighten...then i support the ratched and use one finger on the end and pull it until it's certain it's not going anywhere but not enough to snap anything. Not as scientific as inacurrate, but I'm sure that's no shock.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:03 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
You can probably save it with helicoil by someone that knows what they're doing. Should run about $200 parts and labor plus new plugs and the coil pack if damaged. If they want to replace the entire head, get a second opinion. This is a somewhat common occurance in the Ford modulars.
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to install the helicoil myself and also replaced all of the plugs while I was at it along with the Power Steering whine fix. Everything went smoothly and I test drove it tonight. Running on all six cylinders sure makes as difference.

The only weird thing now is the orange engine "light" is now on (the one to the right of the green "headlamps on" indicator). Any ideas as to why?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:02 AM

a sensor of some kind, or maybe the coil packs. Did you unplug the battery negative for a few minutes to reset it? If so, did it come back on?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Just so that the less experienced person is aware.....

Spark plugs threads in aluminum cylinder heads (like the TL) will strip *very* easy when over tightened. And, I am not talking about macho-man strength either. Even girl-like strength could strip the threads.

I would not dare to attempt tightening the spark plugs without a proper (quality) torque wrench. And, I have experience turning wrenches a lot and I would not attempting it without the torque wrench. I suppose that is where my experience pays-off with knowing what *not* to do.

*Every time* that I do an oil change and/or ATF change, I use a torque wrench too. Anytime a person tightens a fastener into aluminum it is very wise to use the torque wrench. Even then, I drop the spec'ed torque value to 15% less than stated... this is how careful I am with aluminum. I know who the boss is..... and it ain't me.

Closing thought = stripped plug thread = $$$$
I gotta weigh in and agree with Inaccurate. I owned a 2001 Ford Expedition with the 5.4 V8. I replaced the plugs on the aluminum heads and did not use a torque wrench. 1 year later – driving along – BANG and suddenly running on 7 cylinders. The #6 plug had shot right out of the head. I ended up purchasing a $300 kit that included a rather large drill bit and was able to perform a very scary under-the-hood repair of the blown plug hole. Without getting into too much detail, suffice to say that it involved drilling out the plug hole, re-tapping, and gluing in a coil. The repair shops wanted anywhere from $500-$2000 for the repair. Bottom line – be super careful with aluminum parts.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:36 AM

^^^that IS scary...
good advice here.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:38 PM
#1 Super Guy!

I don't understand the whole helicoil process you guys are using. How can you possibly drill, tap, and install a coil without filling the cylinder and rings with abrasive metal shavings? This will destroy the cylinder walls!!!

I feel bad for anybody that buys one of these cars later on down the road.

I would think the proper way to do this repair would be to remove the cylinder head.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
A great many will put the piston at top dead center, load the drill/tap with heavy grease, go slowly and keep the debris from accumulating on the tool by cleaning and regreasing often. When all's done, blow out the clyinder and good to go, hopefully.

Thought I'd add, don't know why anyone would reduce the torque 15% just to be cautious. It may not be a problem when we're speaking of 16-20 ft/lbs, but when we're into the 80/90 lb range, reducing the torque 12/14 lbs is not the best idea. This is why there is a torque rating, so one can safely install the parts and not be worried about over or under tightening. Go by the book.

Last edited by Turbonut; 11-11-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:20 PM
#1 Super Guy!

^ That still sounds completely ridiculous to me. Especially the part about "blowing" it out.

But what do I know.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
don't know why anyone would reduce the torque 15% just to be cautious.
This was in reference to the ATF and engine oil drain plugs. I reduce the value because I expect to be doing many times in the life of the car.

With the spark plugs, I would not reduce the value in light of the issue of them loosening.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
One thing to think about, detonation loosens spark plugs....

Many times the threads are damaged not from over torquing but from the plugs loosening and fire cutting the threads or ripping out the last few threads as the plug blows out of the head.

A little aluminum usually won't hurt in the combustion chamber. It's not something you want to do if you can avoid it but I've never seen it cause issues with cylinder wall scoring. Now the odds of blowing anything out of a cylinder with compressed air are slim. I keep a ton of lube on the drill bit and a ton of lube on the tap. You can keep all or most of the filings out of the combustion chamber if you take your time and use a thick lube or grease. I've had the heads off of an engine that had the spark plug hole helicoiled and no issues were found.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 94eg!
^ That still sounds completely ridiculous to me. Especially the part about "blowing" it out.

But what do I know.
Now the odds of blowing anything out of a cylinder with compressed air are slim.
Piston at TDC on compression, valves closed, use a tube attached to the compressor line, insert into cylinder through spark plug hole and hit it with air. Where can the air go????? Out the plug hole. Simple enough.

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
This was in reference to the ATF and engine oil drain plugs. I reduce the value because I expect to be doing many times in the life of the car.

With the spark plugs, I would not reduce the value in light of the issue of them loosening.
Gotcha.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Piston at TDC on compression, valves closed, use a tube attached to the compressor line, insert into cylinder through spark plug hole and hit it with air. Where can the air go????? Out the plug hole. Simple enough.

Gotcha.

Cylinder walls will have a light coating of oil, you're more likely to get aluminum shavings stuck on the cylinders or down in the ring land area by blowing air in there than by doing nothing or by trying to stop the shavings from getting in there in the first place. Sure, air goes in and air goes out but it's not likely to pick up any shavings and blow them out the hole. I would take my chances firing it up and vaporizing the little shavings and/or blowing them out the exhaust.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Cylinder walls will have a light coating of oil, you're more likely to get aluminum shavings stuck on the cylinders or down in the ring land area by blowing air in there than by doing nothing or by trying to stop the shavings from getting in there in the first place. Sure, air goes in and air goes out but it's not likely to pick up any shavings and blow them out the hole. I would take my chances firing it up and vaporizing the little shavings and/or blowing them out the exhaust.
This is for the wonderful Ford engines, but the recommended procedure when replacing a broken spark plug:
After access is gained by removing the ignition coils and fuel rail and sometimes the intake, use either a starter trigger or turn the crank with a ratchet until the valves are closed. Drilling is done with your air ratchet and the drilling tool included in the kit. It is recommended by Calvan to use a fiberoptic bore scope to insure metal shavings are all removed from the cylinder. The debris is removed by using a blower with a small diameter rubber hose.

I've done it for years, and with the above documentation, I would certainly assume it to be a viable option.

Last edited by Turbonut; 11-12-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:11 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
a sensor of some kind, or maybe the coil packs. Did you unplug the battery negative for a few minutes to reset it? If so, did it come back on?
So a couple of days have gone by and the engine light went away. I was also reading on another forum topic that someone else had the light come on when they performed the power steering whine fix, so maybe it was due to that.

Any, all is good now. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TVL65
Today I bought a full set of plugs for my 07' TLS with 70,000 miles. After work I drove down to a honda shop where my friend works at as a mechanic, I let the car cool off for 90 minutes & he then pulled it into his bay. He immediately tells me (even before lifting the hood) that a spark plug is loose & thats what the ticking noise is!
So after removing the plastic stuff he starts to remove 3 plugs in the front adjacent from radiator, the one in the middle was very loose! Enough it could be turned by hand, then upon getting it out it the plug had a dark color, carbon/oil covered. The shaft leading down to the plug was oily. The remaining 5 plugs were tight & normal condition. He said that if the plug had backed all the way out I would have ruined the head! These were installed by the factory & he showed me a tech bulletin in the service area issued by honda to check plug tightness on several models at 60,000 miles. He also said the same tech letter was issued for acura vehicles. Apparantly it has something to do with the factory installation & the plugs can loosen up. He has personally seen it happen & in a few instances damaged heads/engines.
My question is this: WHY DIDN'T MY ACURA DEALER CHECK THIS?!!! I'm freakin' annoyed & going to complain. This is NOT acceptable to me. THEY are the mechanics, THEY should know this. My advice: CHECK YOUR FACTORY INSTALLED PLUGS IMMEDIATELY. AS a side note the car is running alot better now & I picked up 2 mpg city.
Follow up.... I had been hearing a ticking for some time... thought I would just wait till my 105 check and valve adjust... Anyway I'm at 92000 and today I checked my plugs... whata you know front center LOOSE... thank you for this thread..... I love my TL but Modding has turned it into a money pit... posts like these help because its one more thing I dont have to go to the Stealership for...... Big Ups OP!!!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:54 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by 94eg!
Facotry spec is like 16lb/ft. I think I bumped up to 18 or 20. I don't know about gorilla-mode though.
Spec is 13 ft/lbs...
Old 11-13-2011, 10:38 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Aw poop. Too bad we cannot edit posts in this cruddy forum.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the warning!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:51 PM
13203!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i had the same issue when i had a friend/honda master-tech do the t-belt, plugs, etc. on my car. same plug loose, same ticking noise. car had 101k on it when i had the belt done. all is well now, glad he caught it in time.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
Front center plug completely loose at 88000 miles on my 07 V6 Accord. Seems like a manufacturing issue all across the J series engines.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Loose plug

Originally Posted by TVL65
Today I bought a full set of plugs for my 07' TLS with 70,000 miles. After work I drove down to a honda shop where my friend works at as a mechanic, I let the car cool off for 90 minutes & he then pulled it into his bay. He immediately tells me (even before lifting the hood) that a spark plug is loose & thats what the ticking noise is!
So after removing the plastic stuff he starts to remove 3 plugs in the front adjacent from radiator, the one in the middle was very loose! Enough it could be turned by hand, then upon getting it out it the plug had a dark color, carbon/oil covered. The shaft leading down to the plug was oily. The remaining 5 plugs were tight & normal condition. He said that if the plug had backed all the way out I would have ruined the head! These were installed by the factory & he showed me a tech bulletin in the service area issued by honda to check plug tightness on several models at 60,000 miles. He also said the same tech letter was issued for acura vehicles. Apparantly it has something to do with the factory installation & the plugs can loosen up. He has personally seen it happen & in a few instances damaged heads/engines.
My question is this: WHY DIDN'T MY ACURA DEALER CHECK THIS?!!! I'm freakin' annoyed & going to complain. This is NOT acceptable to me. THEY are the mechanics, THEY should know this. My advice: CHECK YOUR FACTORY INSTALLED PLUGS IMMEDIATELY. AS a side note the car is running alot better now & I picked up 2 mpg city.
I had a spark blow out of my engine while my daughter-law was driving the car back from N.Y. 08 TLS, 58 K. $4000.00 damage to cyclinder head, covered by 6yr. 70 K warranty.
Bill C.