Sponsored by:

Cheapest OEM Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Mons shaver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cheapest OEM Tranny Fluid

Hi All,
I'm looking to change the tranny fluid on a base 08. I know the whole racing ATF thread going on and I may do a partial change (maybe 1x3) of Redline, but overall I am leaning towards using a blend of stock and racing ATF. This is based on conversations with my brother in law and cousin, one of which works in the service department of Honda and they felt that more frequent ATF changes would be better than a whole switch to Redline.

So does anyone have any recommendations for the best place (other than the dealership) to get some OEM ATF?
Thanks
Old 12-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Your cousin is right, more frequent changes will yield better results than redline, yes this goes against what everyone is saying but it has been proven to work with someone I know who used the old z1 fluid for 170k+ on his 2nd gen tl. He changes the fluid every 15k.
The best place to get cheap fluid is the dealership. How you ask? well one if your cousin works there use his employee at cost price. I knew someone that worked parts and he sold me all parts and stuff at cost. There's two prices, list price, and net price. Ask for the net price. Tax is not too bad, it's better than paying shipping.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey how's it going I just thought I would share that you can actually get aOem transmission fluid from Oreilly auto parts aka old kragens... Just tell them u want Oem tranny fluid... We have a system called IMC and we can order Oem parts directly from Honda, BMW etc and its like 8.00 a quart I think
Old 12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by usmarinedelta
Your cousin is right, more frequent changes will yield better results than redline, yes this goes against what everyone is saying but it has been proven to work with someone I know who used the old z1 fluid for 170k+ on his 2nd gen tl. He changes the fluid every 15k.
The best place to get cheap fluid is the dealership. How you ask? well one if your cousin works there use his employee at cost price. I knew someone that worked parts and he sold me all parts and stuff at cost. There's two prices, list price, and net price. Ask for the net price. Tax is not too bad, it's better than paying shipping.
1 persons success doesn't account too 1000 failures.

Get Redline D4. Do a 1x3 every 5k miles for 20k miles. ($110 per pack of 12).

Do not go OEM unless you want to get another tranny in the near future. Switch out the 3rd/4th gear solenoids every 60k miles.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:48 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Can anyone answer this? Semi - unrelated topic but,

If I do a 1x3 Quart drain and remove the 3rd/4th solenoids, will the 3/4 locations drip/drain out of the holes?

Sorry random side track.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lusid
Can anyone answer this? Semi - unrelated topic but,

If I do a 1x3 Quart drain and remove the 3rd/4th solenoids, will the 3/4 locations drip/drain out of the holes?

Sorry random side track.
A little bit will drip out. Look at the third from last picture in the link.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/110-diy-guide-replacing-3rd-4th-gear-pressure-switch-3g-tl-2004-2006-a-729149/

And the solenoids go bad based on time, not miles. I think it's every two years that they are supposed to be changed out
Old 12-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
1 persons success doesn't account too 1000 failures.

Get Redline D4. Do a 1x3 every 5k miles for 20k miles. ($110 per pack of 12).

Do not go OEM unless you want to get another tranny in the near future. Switch out the 3rd/4th gear solenoids every 60k miles.
How do you know dw1 fluid will cause near future fails? It's too soon to jump the gun. Where's the statistics for this 1000 failures, there's a handful of failures for 3rd gen tl's but ther's also 1000's that haven't failed.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:02 PM

How do you know dw1 fluid will cause near future fails? It's too soon to jump the gun. Where's the statistics for this 1000 failures, there's a handful of failures for 3rd gen tl's but ther's also 1000's that haven't failed.
Acurazine. I can base the data from users from Acurazine and use simple statistics to determine failures. You also have to note that AZ users take extra care of there vehicles unlike others that aren't on AZ.

Granted, DW1 has less FM, but still not a better fluid like D4/Racing ATF. You don't need statistics when it is common sense. (Bad comparison) If I put some iron deposits in my new motor oil every oil change, will it break down? It won't now, but it will later. Similar to DW1/Z1 with tons of FM.

Also, I don't need to look at the failures in the 3Gs, but the 2Gs. Thousands upon thousands of 2Gs transmissions have been going down since it has been released. Many members has switched to Redline/Amsoil and changed there 3rd/4th gear sensors and that has temporarily solved the problem (permanent IMO till we have someone drive 100k miles).
Old 12-06-2011, 04:16 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Redline Type F ATF + Redline D4 ATF + Redline Lightweight ATF = WIN !!!

I am thinking of ordering 12 packs of each ($110/12 pack) and then putting 8qts of each on BM....or if someone wants to pitch in with me, lets do it....

I need 4 of each
Old 12-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by magnod
This is based on conversations with my brother in law and cousin, one of which works in the service department of Honda and they felt that more frequent ATF changes would be better than a whole switch to Redline.

So does anyone have any recommendations for the best place (other than the dealership) to get some OEM ATF?
Thanks

When I bought OEM ATF fluid, I found it to be significantly cheaper at the Honda dealer than the Acura dealer...

As far as the frequent changes go... I did a 1x3 with OEM ATF every oil change, but that didn't stop my tranny from blowing up... I also changed the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches at 80,000 miles, and switched to Redline at the same time, but none of that helped...

I probably should've switched to Redline earlier, becuase when I changed the switches, I was already having slight symptoms when you downshift on the highway. BUt I was doing 1x3 every oil change on our 05' TL with OEM ATF since the car was new, becuase of problems I had on our 2G TL.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Mons shaver

Is the Honda brand the same as the Acura ATF? Or is it listed under a different model/part number?

My cousin is at Honda, so hopefully he can get me some Acura ATF.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:54 PM

^^^ same juice different sticker....

i used to do a drain and refill (3qt) every oil change 5K miles (on stock Z1) and I calculated this:

for a total of 60K miles....
Redline Fluid: 12qts....~$11 per qt = total of $132
Acura Fluid: $7.5/qt (had my hookup)...consider $8 with taxes....3qt every 5K miles....total of 36qts for 60K miles....so 8x36 = $288...

the choice was simple....OVERALL BETTER and CHEAPER fluid

DW1 and Z1 are not synthetic and breakdown very easy and hence ur bro asked you to do a drain and refill that often.....
Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Racer

Acurazine. I can base the data from users from Acurazine and use simple statistics to determine failures. You also have to note that AZ users take extra care of there vehicles unlike others that aren't on AZ.

Granted, DW1 has less FM, but still not a better fluid like D4/Racing ATF. You don't need statistics when it is common sense. (Bad comparison) If I put some iron deposits in my new motor oil every oil change, will it break down? It won't now, but it will later. Similar to DW1/Z1 with tons of FM.

Also, I don't need to look at the failures in the 3Gs, but the 2Gs. Thousands upon thousands of 2Gs transmissions have been going down since it has been released. Many members has switched to Redline/Amsoil and changed there 3rd/4th gear sensors and that has temporarily solved the problem (permanent IMO till we have someone drive 100k miles).
I think statistics comparison on Acurazine is unevenly distributed since there's lots of users out there that don't have problems and don't come on here to say that their car is running fine, most come on here to tell others about their problems, so the ratio is flawed.

Yes redline/amsoil is a better fluid because it's synthetic and it handles temps better but it has also caused problems, no one really believed me when I first did a 3x3 with redline type f and had major flarring issues and has been recently discovered, it's funny how everyone starts raving about things just because some people jump on the band wagon about the fluid, and even telling new members to do a straight "3x3 with type f fluid and do your 3rd/4th pressure switches". Now that it's discovered to cause flaring everyone shuts up even though their previous reviews were nothing but great things. This "cocktail" of mixing type f and d4 is still in the testing phase but again so is dw1.

But my point is you said not to use oem fluid meaning the dw1 fluid since z1's gone, and I haven't had any problems with it since I switched back from type f. It actually feels nice, minimal slipping and still feel the shifts. Comes out cherry red every time with no wear on the plug, but then again I have a magnefine filter. That's just my input. The op wanted oem so let him try and report back if problems were to occur or he has warranty obligations and only want to use oem if not he can try the redline.

Yes thousands of 2G's have had issues but that's not based on the fluid, it's based on the design of the transmission case and oil jets. My previous car was a rsx auto with about 110k on it nothing but z1 fluid and only changed once I believe and it still drives fine. (Tranny replaced, but it was my fault not relevant to fluid) When it comes to failures of these 3g's I really think it's some sort of design flaw, there are less failures in the 06+ it's mainly 04-05's. So the assumption of the fluid being the factor to me is somewhat doubtful, there are people that have 06+ especially 07+ that haven't had any issues and are probably on the factory stuff. I wish acura would tear apart the tranny when one fails and diagnose and pinpoint the problem.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 PM

I think statistics comparison on Acurazine is unevenly distributed since there's lots of users out there that don't have problems and don't come on here to say that their car is running fine, most come on here to tell others about their problems, so the ratio is flawed.

Yes redline/amsoil is a better fluid because it's synthetic and it handles temps better but it has also caused problems, no one really believed me when I first did a 3x3 with redline type f and had major flarring issues and has been recently discovered, it's funny how everyone starts raving about things just because some people jump on the band wagon about the fluid, and even telling new members to do a straight "3x3 with type f fluid and do your 3rd/4th pressure switches". Now that it's discovered to cause flaring everyone shuts up even though their previous reviews were nothing but great things. This "cocktail" of mixing type f and d4 is still in the testing phase but again so is dw1.

But my point is you said not to use oem fluid meaning the dw1 fluid since z1's gone, and I haven't had any problems with it since I switched back from type f. It actually feels nice, minimal slipping and still feel the shifts. Comes out cherry red every time with no wear on the plug, but then again I have a magnefine filter. That's just my input. The op wanted oem so let him try and report back if problems were to occur or he has warranty obligations and only want to use oem if not he can try the redline.

Yes thousands of 2G's have had issues but that's not based on the fluid, it's based on the design of the transmission case and oil jets. My previous car was a rsx auto with about 110k on it nothing but z1 fluid and only changed once I believe and it still drives fine. (Tranny replaced, but it was my fault not relevant to fluid) When it comes to failures of these 3g's I really think it's some sort of design flaw, there are less failures in the 06+ it's mainly 04-05's. So the assumption of the fluid being the factor to me is somewhat doubtful, there are people that have 06+ especially 07+ that haven't had any issues and are probably on the factory stuff. I wish acura would tear apart the tranny when one fails and diagnose and pinpoint the problem.
I'm going to give you some quick Acura facts.

36% of 2G TLs had transmission problems.
19% of 3G TLs had transmission problems. (So far- data only for 04-06 TLs)

Z1 was changed due the intense amount of FM. Acura admitted this (not publicly). The 2G TL reason for destruction was the amount of heat (didn't get the details yet) which caused tons of wear. Z1 was a weaker fluid and increased slipping and didn't maintain a high enough optimal temperature to take care of the malfunction. The 3G TL solenoids wore out quickly. I just received notice from a trusted Acura dealership that studied my 'old' sensors and they sent it to Acura corporate. All of these came straight from Acura. Only sent to District Managers of your local area. Thankfully, since I use to work there, I have been in contact with one locally throughout my TL journey.

The sensors are the biggest problem in the 3G. If you change the OEM fluid frequently, you shouldn't have a problem. But I'd rather be safe than sorry. A few extra bucks for the better stuff is worth it in the long run. Acura knows that they're problems, but there yearly earnings has been declining.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Racer

I'm going to give you some quick Acura facts.

36% of 2G TLs had transmission problems.
19% of 3G TLs had transmission problems. (So far- data only for 04-06 TLs)

Z1 was changed due the intense amount of FM. Acura admitted this (not publicly). The 2G TL reason for destruction was the amount of heat (didn't get the details yet) which caused tons of wear. Z1 was a weaker fluid and increased slipping and didn't maintain a high enough optimal temperature to take care of the malfunction. The 3G TL solenoids wore out quickly. I just received notice from a trusted Acura dealership that studied my 'old' sensors and they sent it to Acura corporate. All of these came straight from Acura. Only sent to District Managers of your local area. Thankfully, since I use to work there, I have been in contact with one locally throughout my TL journey.

The sensors are the biggest problem in the 3G. If you change the OEM fluid frequently, you shouldn't have a problem. But I'd rather be safe than sorry. A few extra bucks for the better stuff is worth it in the long run. Acura knows that they're problems, but there yearly earnings has been declining.

I don't understand why the newer TL's 06+ haven't had as much issues as the 04's?

A dealership that "studied" your switches, now since you use to work for them, did they have a machine that would pressure test them, in other words please explain what exactly did they do?

As for 2g's it's irrelevant to the fluid/switches. As far as i know it's due to a design flaw. Well maybe the redline can keep temps down but don't think there's a way around the design flaw.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:54 PM

The design flaw was more towards to the transmission emitting way to much heat (not sure on the details). The fluid matters the most as it can maintain a higher heat than Z1 at that time.

Not sure on the switches. I gave them to the GM I've known for awhile and he told me they would look at them if they will help Acura.

I'm thinking the 06+ has less problems because there newer models (meaning we have to wait next year to see the problems or longer). 07-08 has the RL tranny anyways
Old 12-06-2011, 11:25 PM

usmarinedelta....why is everything an argument with you LOL....

no one has a gun to your head to use a particular fluid....use the stock fluid and do the drain and refill as mentioned in the booklet or when it comes up on the MID and do tell us how long ur tranny lasted

the Legend which recently rolled past 500K miles is still on stock tranny i believe...and he is using stock fluid....but his miles are mostly highway....

you have to realize the tranny design is nasty plus the heat produced is insane (crazier in city driving)....so a stock fluid will break down much much easy....

what this forum is doing is trial and error....we are not Acura engineers....we didnt mess up the tranny design....we are trying to use different fluids to see which works best for us....and we share our experience....

i did a 4x3 with type F and have done 10K miles and yet to see flaring....i switched my fluid out at 147K miles....my tranny was used to Z1 and all of a sudden new fluid and i have yet to see any issues....i do not have an explanation for that....some people see flaring, some people dont....

you have to see from Inaccurate/IHC's point of view....he can tell you "ohh its fine dont worry" but if you tranny takes a dump, the finger starts pointing at them....they have to be very careful with what they post and hence they "play it safe".....

at this point if you want to continue with this discussion, i suggest you open a new thread rather than cluttering up this thread about "cheapest place to buy fluid"....or you can just agree to disagree....

everything need not be made into a big deal bro....
Old 12-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by swoosh
usmarinedelta....why is everything an argument with you LOL....

no one has a gun to your head to use a particular fluid....use the stock fluid and do the drain and refill as mentioned in the booklet or when it comes up on the MID and do tell us how long ur tranny lasted

the Legend which recently rolled past 500K miles is still on stock tranny i believe...and he is using stock fluid....but his miles are mostly highway....

you have to realize the tranny design is nasty plus the heat produced is insane (crazier in city driving)....so a stock fluid will break down much much easy....

what this forum is doing is trial and error....we are not Acura engineers....we didnt mess up the tranny design....we are trying to use different fluids to see which works best for us....and we share our experience....

i did a 4x3 with type F and have done 10K miles and yet to see flaring....i switched my fluid out at 147K miles....my tranny was used to Z1 and all of a sudden new fluid and i have yet to see any issues....i do not have an explanation for that....some people see flaring, some people dont....

you have to see from Inaccurate/IHC's point of view....he can tell you "ohh its fine dont worry" but if you tranny takes a dump, the finger starts pointing at them....they have to be very careful with what they post and hence they "play it safe".....

at this point if you want to continue with this discussion, i suggest you open a new thread rather than cluttering up this thread about "cheapest place to buy fluid"....or you can just agree to disagree....

everything need not be made into a big deal bro....
Lol no arguements here man, just don't understand that's all, and want people to see different viewpoints that I'm on dw1 and it works for me (for now). Anywho I'm done.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:31 AM
Mons shaver

BTW: I'm the OP and I don't mind. Its good to get some ideas to reinforce my thinking.

Right now I'm leaning towards doing a partial Redline fill. I hope that it will help with the heat, yet keep the shifting smooth at low speeds.

I'll ask my cousin to see if he can get me Honda dw1.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The 3G TL solenoids wore out quickly. I just received notice from a trusted Acura dealership that studied my 'old' sensors and they sent it to Acura corporate. All of these came straight from Acura.
Not sure on the switches. I gave them to the GM I've known for awhile and he told me they would look at them if they will help Acura.
Im confused, did they "study" them and send notice to someone? Corporate? What were the results? Then you say someone said they would "look" into it?

Im all for the preventative maintenance and playing it safe since the switches/Redline are relatively cheap, but if you have more info from Acura please share.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:08 AM

Some things I can't say.

But I gave my solenoids to the GM at my old dealership I worked for. They noticed a problem and sent them to Acura. That's all I know.