Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain Drive Cams or Belt??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 09:50 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chain Drive Cams or Belt??

Great forum and very entertaining content here, I am also considering a TL and am curious if the car has a chain drive (no maintenance) or a belt driving the cam shafts.. Obviously I am hoping for a chain as it would require no future maintenance expenses and better (worry free) reliability. I could not fing this anywhere in the literature on the car. Anyone out there who might know ? Thanks for your help, I am very close to pulling the trigger on one of these beauties ! LogansRun
Old 11-19-2004, 10:11 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
It is a belt - but you are overstating the liabilities of a belt, and ignoring its benefits. A belt is quieter than a chain, and performs ideally over its lifetime. It is easily inspected for wear - millions are in use today, and even on cars where the maintenance has been less than perfect, the belts go many more miles than they are rated. They used to be 60k rated, now go 90-100k with only an inspection now and then. Belts only require reliable and simple pulleys.

Chains are noisy, and stretch over time - I have worked on cars where the chain's tension varied so much, that cam timing would vary - losing power and causing driveability issues. A chain can jump a link, jump a sprocket, etc. Plus, sprockets themselves are complicated. Roller chains and better design and mfg have improved them tremendously, but the old adage is true - chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

My S2000 has a chain, but it is exotic in design, very well lubricated, and short, since it drives only one bank of cylinders (I-4).

My NSX had a belt. Honda knows engines, and picks what it thinks is best for the application. I think you are taking a near-sighted approach if this is a primary issue in your car buying.

Belt or chain, a zero interference engine is in deep sheep-dip if its cam drive breaks - bye bye short block.

Anyway, you have your answer - hope it is helpful to you.
The following users liked this post:
jfatteh (10-20-2014)
Old 11-19-2004, 10:23 PM
7th Gear

Thanks Road Rage, it sounds as if you know your engine architecture pretty well ! I haven't considered the issues you presented but it paints a very different picture of what I was always led to believe, and it calms my nerves about the belt vs chain debate. I suppose I've heard of a few horror stories of belts breaking more frequently and making mince soup out of valvetrains, which has stuck with me over the years.... I do appreciate your keen insight, and you have helped me place this in the "non issue" category for concern !!! I seem to recall you have a Deep Green Pearl /Camel.. this is the exact combo I am considering.. any regrets ?? LogansRun
Old 11-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Advanced

If you want a chain, try TSX.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:16 PM
ABP Auditor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But do be aware, the engine IS of an "interference design". I.E. - if the belt breaks, the pistons WILL collide with the valves and it will be major expense to repair. Belts may be rated to 100K+ but I will still change mine out at 60K - 80K regardless of what Honda or the MID says. A little maintenance will save a lot of heartache, pain, and expense down the road (as well as being left stranded when it may not be convenient - especially if the wife happens to be driving when it lets go )
Old 11-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Team Anthracite Member

try the black market forum. you will probably get more responses. BTW, I thought the SC wasn't out yet? Did you get a preproduction setup?
Old 11-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Depends on the engine. Just because it's belt driven does not automatically make it quieter than a chain driven engine. Some chain driven engines are actually quite novel, in that the gears are designed such that each sproket on each row of teeth engage/disengage at a precise moment such that all the vibration/noise is mathematically cancelled out.

Assuming belt driven engines are quieter is like me trying to say the 4.1 litre straight 6 in the Chevy Trailblazer is smoother than the 60 degree V6 in the Acura TL, because straight 6 engines are the optimal configuration for a 6 cylinder engine.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I changed my belt on my GS-R at 95k miles. It didn't break but rather I wanted to have piece of mind with it.
It is a little harder to inspect the belt on my NSX however. It is highly advised that you change it on the prescribed time/mileage frame. You don't even want to get into the repair $$ of that engine.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Rage
It is a belt - but you are overstating the liabilities of a belt, and ignoring its benefits. A belt is quieter than a chain, and performs ideally over its lifetime. It is easily inspected for wear - millions are in use today, and even on cars where the maintenance has been less than perfect, the belts go many more miles than they are rated. They used to be 60k rated, now go 90-100k with only an inspection now and then. Belts only require reliable and simple pulleys.

Chains are noisy, and stretch over time - I have worked on cars where the chain's tension varied so much, that cam timing would vary - losing power and causing driveability issues. A chain can jump a link, jump a sprocket, etc. Plus, sprockets themselves are complicated. Roller chains and better design and mfg have improved them tremendously, but the old adage is true - chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

My S2000 has a chain, but it is exotic in design, very well lubricated, and short, since it drives only one bank of cylinders (I-4).

My NSX had a belt. Honda knows engines, and picks what it thinks is best for the application. I think you are taking a near-sighted approach if this is a primary issue in your car buying.

Belt or chain, a zero interference engine is in deep sheep-dip if its cam drive breaks - bye bye short block.

Anyway, you have your answer - hope it is helpful to you.
agreed.
both are just as likely to break. chains ARE noisier, just as much can happen with chain drives.
as for worring about belts. i have a 88 prelude with 270k on the original belt. i had a civic with 130k on the original belt. my TL has 162k on the original belt. i have inspected it and its fine. could it all of asudden break? sure! could a new on too? yes.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
i have a 88 prelude with 270k on the original belt. i had a civic with 130k on the original belt. my TL has 162k on the original belt. i have inspected it and its fine. could it all of asudden break? sure! could a new on too? yes.
Braver soul than I for sure.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:57 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,058 Likes on 2,521 Posts
chain versus timing belt longivity

From the http://www.hondanews.com/CatID2006?m...36167&mime=asc website

Technical information for the Accord

"The i-VTEC engine is crowned by a compact, lightweight cylinder head made of pressure-cast aluminum alloy. Its 4-valve-per-cylinder design has double overhead camshafts activated by a silent chain drive to ensure extremely precise control of the cam phasing. The cam drive is maintenance-free throughout the life of the engine. "

Very important for timing belts is that is replacement is age and mileage dependent. I have not seen any official guidelines from Honda but I've heard 6 years or 90K miles for lastest generation models whatever comes first.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
How long does the water pump typically last because often that acts as the driver to changing the belt since it typically must be removed anyway.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Shoot2Thrill
How long does the water pump typically last because often that acts as the driver to changing the belt since it typically must be removed anyway.
You do not have to remove the water pump on most vehicles to change the timing belt. But since timing belts are difficult to get to, it makes sense to just replace the water pump when you are doing a belt replacement.

I've changed ~15 timing belts mostly on Honda's and Acura's. Typically the water pump uses the timing belt for drive (only on Prelude Si and Supra did the water pump not run off the timing belt).

The majority of the time I change the water pump as a precaution since it is not easy to get to normally. I've only ever replaced a water pump/timing belt once due to a water pump failure (seal failed), the rest of the time the weep hole was dry but it's good insurance.

A neighbor two new gen Accord (2003 and 2004) with the timing chain, I'll have to look into the engine bay and see how the water pump gets it's drive.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Shoot2Thrill
I didn't answer your original question.

Water pumps typically don't last the life of a vehicle, but 100K+ miles is a resonable life as long as good (non-Prestone) anti-freeze is used and changed on or before the recommended service interval.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
agreed.
both are just as likely to break. chains ARE noisier, just as much can happen with chain drives.
as for worring about belts. i have a 88 prelude with 270k on the original belt. i had a civic with 130k on the original belt. my TL has 162k on the original belt. i have inspected it and its fine. could it all of asudden break? sure! could a new on too? yes.
All eng'g is a Bell Curve - you are on the happy side of it, but your luck could run out at anyy time. Yes, a new belt could break, but it is always covered by the original warranty, and many mfrs guarantee a belt replacement if they install it even after the warranty has long expired.

I always replace the water pump at the same time - the coolant should be non-abrasive, such as Honda Type 2 or equivalent. BASF yellow G-5 spec (Ford Premium Gold) is also good as long as one flushes all the Honda coolant out. Considering how cheap Honda fluid is, relative to the popssible damage the wrong cooloant can do, i cannot see cheaping out on this element of maintenance.

I am sure I have a ""RR Journal" reference posting at s2ki.com in the 3G Garage on Coolants - everuthing you ever wanted to know......
Old 11-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Racer

Chains have been the problem with Honda motorcycles (their racing bikes and previous generation VFR's had gear driven cams) and chains definitely wear over time. The belts stretch initially, then do not change over life. I have never seen a "broken" timing belt. What happens is the teeth shear off and the belt skips enough to cause problems (can be expensive). I agree with RoadRage in that you should always change a timing belt driven water pump with the belt. Also, this is the perfect opportunity to change the thermostat (a $10 part that can result in $1000's of repairs when it fails).
Old 11-24-2004, 12:15 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
From the http://www.hondanews.com/CatID2006?m...36167&mime=asc website

Technical information for the Accord

"The i-VTEC engine is crowned by a compact, lightweight cylinder head made of pressure-cast aluminum alloy. Its 4-valve-per-cylinder design has double overhead camshafts activated by a silent chain drive to ensure extremely precise control of the cam phasing. The cam drive is maintenance-free throughout the life of the engine. "
So what can one conclude by Honda making a point of highlighting "maint-free chain" vs their use of a (maint required) belt in the TL?

What about the same question RE SOHC vs DOHC? In other words, why did the above engine design (as well as the NSX v-6) use DOHC, but the TL use SOHC? (other than simply cost).
Old 11-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Racer

If you are very good about chaining the engine oil with synthetic and do not rev the engine much, the chain may never need attention in 250K miles. However, anyone that has a motorcycle can tell you 150 mph blasts stretch the drive chains substantially compared to boring 80 mph stuff. Chains are heavy, stretching and wearing significantly at high rev's due to increased engine load and centrifugal force. The chains, sporkets, and tensioner blocks all wear out about evenly and all require replacement at the same time. On most belt applications, only the belt needs replacing (an exception - Fiat's also wear out belt pulley's).

Numerous pushrod GM cars have had chain & sprocket issues in the 100K mile range and those chains are very short. Porsche 911's also have timing chain issues. The only good thing about chains is they tend to send warnings (chains slapping engine cases) to observant drivers before they skip time.