Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cell Phone Plans/Service Providers

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cell Phone Plans/Service Providers

In light of the new law regarding number carry-over, I will be in the market in the near future for a new bluetooth enabled phone (which, unfortunately, means that I must change service providers [currently with Verizon]).

I am located in Northern California, and would like your input on the following service providers' networks:

*Cingular
*T-Mobile
*AT&T

More specifically, I am interested in the Sony Ericcson T610/T616.
How is reception? Clarity? Service? Satisfaction with plans? Pricing? Etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2003, 12:44 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the service providers you mentioned, the coverage is basically the same. Go outside the major metropolitan areas or when traveling, venture off the major freeways, you will have NO coverage.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:03 PM
Chief TL Aviator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm in the South, but I traded up to a T616 yesterday!
Got it working with car / HFL on the very first try ....
Neat toy.

Still deciding if the quality of the phone is better than my old Nokia.

Let you know in a couple days.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Cell Phone Plans/Service Providers

Originally posted by daikon38
In light of the new law regarding number carry-over, I will be in the market in the near future for a new bluetooth enabled phone (which, unfortunately, means that I must change service providers [currently with Verizon]).
I went to best buy today at and got a list of all the available bluetooth phones. On that list it also says who provides service with the phone. For verizon u can use the Motorola T270c. Thats the only verizon phone on the list. Check out the last page of the bluetooth primer for the full list i got.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:11 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have T-Mobile T610...it works great...I am in Jersey and the signal is great, customer service is great and the phone works well with the car...my sister had AT&T and she just switched to T-Mobile because she couldn't stand AT&T anymore...my friend has Cingular (who lives one block away from my house) and he always complains about him not getting any service...i usually call him and it keeps on going to his voicemail (no he isn't hanging up on me!!!) but because of the horrible service, he can't pick up anyone's calls...so my advice, go with T-MOBILE!!!
Old 11-26-2003, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Verizon is going to have Bluetooth. I live in Charlotte and talked to somebody today, Wednsday.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Re: Cell Phone Plans/Service Providers

Originally posted by daikon38

I am located in Northern California, and would like your input on the following service providers' networks:

*Cingular
*T-Mobile
*AT&T

More specifically, I am interested in the Sony Ericcson T610/T616.
How is reception? Clarity? Service? Satisfaction with plans? Pricing? Etc.

Thanks in advance!
Goodguys has the T616 for free with rebates, actually, you will come out ahead by $50 after the dust settles. The deal will end after Nov. 30th. I am happy with my TDMA service from ATT. I am also getting ready to switch to GSM for the bluetooth enabled phones. I can't comment on the ATT GSM service.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:44 PM
Advanced

Can anyone comment on the ATT GSM service in TENNESSEE? I live in Nashville and will be switching to ATT w/ a Motorola V600 (when they come out).

I currently have Verzion and love it; however Verizon = no bluetooth. So....bye-bye!

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2003, 04:47 PM
Pro

ATT GSM service SUCKS!! Great coverage in the Cities but suburbs can be flacky. I have ATT TDMA and it works great. My family went to ATT GSM (against my advice) and it doesn't work that well at all. Go with Verison or ATT TDMA if you can. I don't know how T-Mobile is doing. Cingular I stay away from due to a minimum 2yr contract.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:09 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto on ATT. They will readily admit that the gms give poorer coverage than standard digital (TDMA or CDMA) but they damn sure dont advertise it or warn ya when you order a fancy new phone? Wish I hadnt upgraded my phone to that M mode/camera unit. Too expensive for internet use and now I have to buy a multiband phone to get coverage in my area. Of course I bit for the 2 year contract since it reduced the phone a hundred bucks or more. So its $175 to buy out the contract when I go to bluetooth but I cant do that till they come out with a multiband blue tooth which according to ATT doesnt exist yet. Sony Ericsson T62U is blue tooth and multiband but requires a Smartback accessory whatever that is and so it wont work with our Acura system as I understand it. Too much technology and not enough consumer education. We should have never deregulated Ma Bell. Its been all downhill since then!!