Sponsored by:

Catz MSX Fog/Driving Light Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Modding my TL in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Catz MSX Fog/Driving Light Ideas

All:

I thought I'd share with you my Catz MSX Fog/Driving Light project installation ideas. I currently have three sets of Catz MSX fog lights. Two sets are gold, the other set is hyperwhite.

I'm in process of the design and installation of two of these sets of lights, gold on the bottom, white on top in the center of the vehicle.

I have made custom brackets and are prewiring the harnesses. I should have the entire installation (with pictures I hope) done by this upcoming Saturday.

Here are some Photochop pictures of my ideas that I will put forth into reality. The gold pix will in reality be more yellow like the Lexus. All lights will be able to be switched independently.

Here are some pictures:

What do you think?
Old 12-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ugly
Old 12-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I like.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Modding my TL in

Thanks. I made two custom brackets last night to allow each of the lights to be below and above the horizontal bar embeeded into the mesh. I probably will dremel each horizontal bar (total four) above and below the large bar on the mesh not to block any light. Also, I feel this would give it more of a clean look, despite the lights being resessed.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Instructor

There is no need to make a custom bracket. Check out my post:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127476
Old 12-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Modding my TL in

Okay, just got done doing the entire installation on my 2004 Acura TL. My digital camera batteries are charging - I'll snap pictures tomorrow.

I have TWO sets of Catz MSX (the wide ones) in the center of the car. The YELLOW are fogs, and the Hyper White is driving lights.

Due to their size, I had to make a custom bracket for each side to hold two lights per side. So, I have FOUR lights total running on seperate Catz supplied wire harness/switches (though you can't see any of it under the hood as I did a nice wiring job and electrical tape is my friend).

The brackets that come with the stock MSX does not accomodate two lights, and furthermore if I only used a single light installed - that would position the light directly behind the large horizontal mesh bar - even though it is bright, why hinder the inherent capabilities of a top notch light.

See stock photo:

I did not dremel the stock mesh.

By creating custom brackets I was able to position the bottom YELLOW lights directly below the horizontal mesh bar. I have the second set of Hyper White MSX's mounted in the same custom bracket directly above the YELLOW lights. Due to the size of the grill opening, I have about half-horizontal of the Hyper White MSX showing out above the horizontal bar and the other half partially in the bumper (I'll have to figure out that out more).

I have aimed both lights and am EXTREMELY happy with the YELLOW lights (holy shit bright), however the Hyper White I am not too impressed with the light output to rely on lighting up the road. It's more for asthetics. HOWEVER, the Hyper White output matches my HID and for every day driving it looks really damn cool.

So, the current light combinations (stock=parking, hid, fog wanna be). YELLOW fog by itself or any one of the above stock combinations. Hyper White driving light by itself or any one of the above stock combinations. OR All lights on - how bright can you get?

Okay, I hope I have tickled your fancy. I'll post pictures as soon as possible.

EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT DAY!

XCELIR8TL
Old 12-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by xcelir8TL
Okay, just got done doing the entire installation on my 2004 Acura TL. My digital camera batteries are charging - I'll snap pictures tomorrow.

I have TWO sets of Catz MSX (the wide ones) in the center of the car. The YELLOW are fogs, and the Hyper White is driving lights.

Due to their size, I had to make a custom bracket for each side to hold two lights per side. So, I have FOUR lights total running on seperate Catz supplied wire harness/switches (though you can't see any of it under the hood as I did a nice wiring job and electrical tape is my friend).

The brackets that come with the stock MSX does not accomodate two lights, and furthermore if I only used a single light installed - that would position the light directly behind the large horizontal mesh bar - even though it is bright, why hinder the inherent capabilities of a top notch light.

See stock photo:

I did not dremel the stock mesh.

By creating custom brackets I was able to position the bottom YELLOW lights directly below the horizontal mesh bar. I have the second set of Hyper White MSX's mounted in the same custom bracket directly above the YELLOW lights. Due to the size of the grill opening, I have about half-horizontal of the Hyper White MSX showing out above the horizontal bar and the other half partially in the bumper (I'll have to figure out that out more).

I have aimed both lights and am EXTREMELY happy with the YELLOW lights (holy shit bright), however the Hyper White I am not too impressed with the light output to rely on lighting up the road. It's more for asthetics. HOWEVER, the Hyper White output matches my HID and for every day driving it looks really damn cool.

So, the current light combinations (stock=parking, hid, fog wanna be). YELLOW fog by itself or any one of the above stock combinations. Hyper White driving light by itself or any one of the above stock combinations. OR All lights on - how bright can you get?

Okay, I hope I have tickled your fancy. I'll post pictures as soon as possible.

BTW - on another note if anyone is interested in a set of Gold Catz MSX's, I have a brand new set of fogs, brackets, mounting hardware, wire, and custom 9006 adapters to wire these directly off the stock fog lights. PM me if interested, otherwise...

EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT DAY!

XCELIR8TL
Old 12-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
xcelir8TL: Sorry but I edited your post a little. If you want to sell something please post it in the BLACK MARKET Forum.

And if you do, please read the BLACK MARKET before posting.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:53 AM
Modding my TL in

Ron A - got it.

I did forget to mention that due to the height of the double high stacked MSX I had to dremel the upper portion of the inside bumper which mimics the bottom portion where I mounted the custom fog light bracket. So, as a word of advice, you can only fit something no more than 4" tall in the opening.

Looking at the car early this morning while it was starting to snow, the TL looks stock - no one would know the lights were there until I would turn them on.

I would have taken pictures this morning in the dark, but my digital camera batteries were not fully charged. Oh, and my car is filthy right now. I'll do my best to get pictures if not tonight, by end of Friday posted.

Lasting impressions after a somewhat restless night sleep - my wiring job was very clean, but moreso, the gold fogs are great. Again, the Hyper Whites are nothing to shout about, not worth the money for the Hyper Whites IMO - that's because we have real HIDS. If we didn't have them, then yes, nice product.

That's it for now, any questions?

Oh yeah, simple diagram of bracket:

|-MSX-|
|-MSX-|
--+--+-- bottom of custom bracket
--|--|-------- inside bottom behind mesh (bracket is bolted)

XCELIR8TL
Old 12-14-2005, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
negative ghostrider, the pattern is full
Old 12-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Modding my TL in

cTLgo

>>

"negative ghostrider, the pattern is full"

>>

What?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

cTLgo

>>

"negative ghostrider, the pattern is full"

>>

What?

it was my response to

What do you think?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Modding my TL in

Sorry, didn't get that humour (if it was). What do you mean by "the pattern is full"?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Modding my TL in

As promised, digital pictures. I apologize for the clearity and quality of the pictures, but my batteries were half charged as well as it started snowing here in Chicago.

The pictures are in this order: Close up yellows, hyperwhites, yellows with headlights/stock fog lights, and all lights on.

It may be a while until I get better pictures due to the weather.

Hope you enjoy!

XCELIR8TL
Old 12-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Looks good!
Old 12-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Sorry, didn't get that humour (if it was). What do you mean by "the pattern is full"?

its a military phrase... usually used in the Navy...

Watch Top Gun again (if you've seen it) when Maveric asks to do a flyby the control tower says negative, the pattern is full
Old 12-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Modding my TL in

Got it.

Any more thoughts from anyone???
Old 12-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Instructor

I like the way you can shine a rainbow on the road in front of the car. It's a self-fulfilling mod.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Modding my TL in

So I washed the car tonight and man the yellow lights are super bright. I went home and reaimed them against the garage door and I am VERY pleased with this project.

In the last 2 days I have had numerous people ask me if the car came like that and where they could purchase a set. I also went to the Acura dealer and 2 sales guys came out and asked the same. My reply in both instances was that it was a "custom" job and gave them my # if they were interested in me doing it for them. No calls yet.

Anyhow, I had extra parts laying around and made a post in the Black Market (per Ron A's original Email above).

See you around and hopefully I can snap many pictures in the next day as though it is cold, it's not snowing.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Modding my TL in

I took a few more pictures. I really need new batteries and a better digital camera...

Old 12-18-2005, 07:14 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice clean job, personally I would have been happy with one more set of 2, but is your car and you're the Boss, anyway is there a way to post about the wiring since it would be nice to know if you tapped into another feed or made a entire independent circuit for each set..thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Modding my TL in

Wiring.

Spliced both Catz Harness's together only at the junction point of ignition to activate the relays. I basically used the Catz harness, however, I wired them together so it looked like one harness.

The grounding was done at the same point on the drivers inner fender/engine bay as the battery uses and two positive leads were used on the main battery lead.

So, you wanted *3* sets of lights - geesh, you're scaring me. I was trying to find a way to mount another set horizontally in the outer or even middle grills but even with custom brackets I haven't figured it out yet.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:06 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wiring.

Spliced both Catz Harness's together only at the junction point of ignition to activate the relays. I basically used the Catz harness, however, I wired them together so it looked like one harness.

The grounding was done at the same point on the drivers inner fender/engine bay as the battery uses and two positive leads were used on the main battery lead.

So, you wanted *3* sets of lights - geesh, you're scaring me. I was trying to find a way to mount another set horizontally in the outer or even middle grills but even with custom brackets I haven't figured it out yet.

lol..what I meant was that I would be happy with one more set besides the stock one's, you have 2 sets I would be happy with just one.

Thanks and the switches look great..
Old 12-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Modding my TL in

I know what you mean. Gotcha.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

You should just get one of these. Then you can truely blind everyone on the road.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Modding my TL in

I took more pictures at 6:00AM this morning before I went to work: