Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wash incident

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car wash incident

So I went through a local car wash a couple of weeks ago and when I got out of it, my lip spoiler was ripped off the car. I didn't realize it until I got back to my girlfriend's place and then we drove back to the car wash and re-traced the path we took home and couldn't find the spoiler. After a little bit of discussion, the owner of the car wash reluctantly told me to go down to the local auto body shop and they would put a new spoiler on the car. I almost don't even care about the spoiler but there are a couple of scratches and a small dent from where the spoiler was ripped off which I definitely want to have fixed. The spoiler was one of those double-sided tape ones off of eBay which I've had on the car for about 3 years. Has anyone else had to go through something like this before? How are they going to get another one of those spoilers?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
That sucks....have them order the Aspec one from the dealer maybe?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OEM one uses bolts..yes you have to drill holes but its never comin off in a car wash.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:17 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by audi_to_TL
OEM one uses bolts..yes you have to drill holes but its never comin off in a car wash.
Good to know I don't have to worry about mine
Old 02-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Be careful which carwashes you are using, NEVER use one with brushes, it will scratch your car up! I have a pretty good touch free by me that I frequent in the winter but I say hand wash ftw!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:36 PM
DuDeChEwY

Originally Posted by CarrieLynn
Be careful which carwashes you are using, NEVER use one with brushes, it will scratch your car up! I have a pretty good touch free by me that I frequent in the winter but I say hand wash ftw!
yeah never ever use the one with the brushes....i took my car only once to one of those.....never again the damn brushes scratched the shit outta my trunk
Old 02-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I'm sorry.. but this thread is funny.. LoL... something I feel like you would see on a civic forum..haha. But yeah I feel for you.. shouldn't be too much to fix though... so try not to sweat it.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:44 PM
iScrape going into

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
I'm sorry.. but this thread is funny.. LoL... something I feel like you would see on a civic forum..haha. But yeah I feel for you.. shouldn't be too much to fix though... so try not to sweat it.
Haha was thinking the same thing. Sucks dude for sure. My buddy got his lip ripped off his evo last winter doing something similar like that.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:08 PM
NTMD8

Wow man...what kind of fuqed up car wash did that??? and the guys that dried your car afterwards didn't say anything huh? I mean to rip off the spoiler from your trunk and then dent it....
Old 02-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jimsta
Wow man...what kind of fuqed up car wash did that??? and the guys that dried your car afterwards didn't say anything huh? I mean to rip off the spoiler from your trunk and then dent it....
he never said anything about anyone drying his car
Old 02-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

OP, post pics of the damage to your car.

I don't know how a car wash can dent your car, but paintless dent repair may fix it and you may be able to buff/polish the scratches out if they are minor enough

...about the spoiler, order a new one and get the carwash owner to reimburse you (in writing)
Old 02-20-2009, 02:41 PM
NTMD8

Originally Posted by paz840
he never said anything about anyone drying his car
I guess I just assumed they did that...here in NYC all the automatic carwashes have people use towels to wipe down the car real quick at the end of the wash to take off any leftover water.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Someone help me out here... What's a car wash?

Is this some sort of place where someone other than you washes your car by hand?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:29 PM
邵樂百

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Trew
Someone help me out here... What's a car wash?

Is this some sort of place where someone other than you washes your car by hand?
LMAO ... I never heard of one of these "car wash" things either Trew. There is no friggin' way, especially with NBP ...
Old 02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Safety Car

^ you guys don't even use the touch-free ones??
Old 02-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Suzuka Master

touch-free washes don't clean your car that well and leave waterspots

...and i'm definitely not going someplace where some minimum wage assclown with a gravel-encrusted washrag wipes down my ride after the wash

no-one washes my car but ME!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Drifting

I rest my case
Old 02-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Safety Car

I ONLY wash my car by hand OR go to the touch-free. The touch-free i go to has blow dryers and NOBODY touches my car but me. In the middle of the winter here in ct when it is snowing I really don't care if there are water spots on my car, but salt , that has to come off!!

So how would you guys suggest we wash our cars in the middle of winter when we can't do it by hand because the hose is frozen?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Drifting

What's Winter?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Safety Car

HAHAHA I'll show you and your boy Raj what winter is when I am down there week after next!!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:04 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ i know what you mean....in the winter i go to the touch free ones too....and after the washing is done, when the blow dyer is blowing air towards my car, i just sit there for a minute or 2.....so no water spots either....

but yeah when i use to live in an apt, i used to go to those car washes where you can wash your own car....after washing i was using the quick detailer, to detail my whip, so i had left my all season floor mats to dry in the bay.....when i went to pick them up they were gone !!! after seeing the security camera's, some dude in a cadillac stole my all season matts. I mean what will the caddy dude do with TL matts ??? Moreover the camera's were placed in such a messed up manner that you couldnt see the license plates
Old 02-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Suzuka Master

So how would you guys suggest we wash our cars in the middle of winter when we can't do it by hand because the hose is frozen?
Optimum No-Rinse FTW!

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...629&recview=21
Old 02-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Safety Car

^ no offense to excel detail, great products there, but I would not use that stuff. I'd rather just leave it dirty...why would I put something on my car I can't rinse? STRANGE!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:08 PM
07 TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
touch-free is safe. people always try to create this misconception about them. obviously, car washes with brushes are not good; do they even still make those car washes?

anyway, not to be rude but i agree with seeing something like this in a civic forum. any external mods you use with tape or some other nonbolted item, you have to take into consideration what you are putting your car through. but then again you shouldnt be putting mods on your car than can get ripped off that easily. just my .02
Old 02-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
i wash my car by hand even in winter...go to a local car wash pray the car down, fill the bucket and wash it then rinse off with car wash water
Old 02-20-2009, 06:50 PM
邵樂百

Someone enlighten me on how a "touch-free" car wash can possibly clean your car properly??? I guess we all have different standards of what is worth calling "clean". I do understand the need for you East Coasters to get the de-icer/salt off your cars but to me, dirty is better than scratched anytime! Anyone with an NBP knows where I'm coming from
Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Touch Free car washes are good to wash your shit in the winter. I'm not about to pick up a hose when its 20 below freezing.. however I'll pay anyone in this thread if they're willing to.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:58 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
HAHAHA I'll show you and your boy Raj what winter is when I am down there week after next!!
If you need me to put them in their place, I can go and dump ice and salt on both of there cars.

Don't like touch free, i feel that it appreciates it more when you get physical.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:13 PM
07 TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by firstacuratl
Someone enlighten me on how a "touch-free" car wash can possibly clean your car properly??? I guess we all have different standards of what is worth calling "clean". I do understand the need for you East Coasters to get the de-icer/salt off your cars but to me, dirty is better than scratched anytime! Anyone with an NBP knows where I'm coming from
Well I think you miss the point. I don't think anyone argues the fact that hand > touch-free car wash and that any auto-wash will not clean your ride 100%. But when I wash my car by hand I spend at least a good 2 hours, typically 3 to 4. People don't always have time for that or the weather is too cold. That's when I use touch-free washes. If I want to clean my car in less than an hour, I go through a touch-free wash; afterwards I get out and quickly dry what ever didn't get dried. That's it. But I do make note to at least hand wash once a month.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
There's a car spa by me where they do a full vacuum, then they pull it into the autowash. They took my friends corolla and ran it into a concrete pole trying to bring it through. The owner tried to say the brakes were defective, and lets just say the cops didn't agree.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

^ no offense to excel detail, great products there, but I would not use that stuff. I'd rather just leave it dirty...why would I put something on my car I can't rinse? STRANGE!
you should visit the Wash & Wax subforum, there is a lot of good info about Optimum NWRS

here are a couple good threads...

My 1st Experience with Optimum NWRS

My Optimum NWRS Review
Old 02-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I ONLY wash my car by hand OR go to the touch-free. The touch-free i go to has blow dryers and NOBODY touches my car but me. In the middle of the winter here in ct when it is snowing I really don't care if there are water spots on my car, but salt , that has to come off!!
Those guys must live in the tropics. There's no way I am washing my car by hand in the dead of winter. I am in MO and it gets Fing cold, low teens. I use to touch free to get the salt off. Water spots be damned.

----------------
Listening to: Thievery Corporation - Resolution (Rewound by Thievery Corporation)
via FoxyTunes

Last edited by JAB00; 02-20-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
CarrieLynn, I was skeptical about the NWRS myself. But I asked for a bottle for the holidays. I've used it a couple of time and believe it or not, it does work well. It gets pretty cold here in KC and I thought I'd give it a try. It's actually pretty good stuff.

Hey, L of D-I'm really sorry to hear about your spoiler. I hope you can find another one that will work OK for you. If I don't wash my car at home, I go to the wand washer car wash and clean my Type S.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Racer

I LOVE how people on here make judgment calls without knowing what they're talking about. It's not a "rice" spoiler; it's the same one tons of people (including plenty on here) bought off of ebay years ago. It looks just like the Acura OEM lip spoiler only you don't have to drill into your trunk to install it and it was considerably cheaper. It's been just fine for the last three years through pretty high speeds, all kinds of weather and plenty of car washes. The fact that there are also small scratches and a small dent tell me that it wasn't "easily" ripped off. God forbid people just relay their own similar experiences if they had them or try to give some helpful advice instead of hijacking the thread with "I can't believe you put your car through a car wash" or "this belongs in a civic forum" comments... Just MY

Thanks to the people who actually replied with something helpful. I'm going to stop by the auto body shop next week and push for them to pay for a new spoiler and fix the damage. Oh and Optimum NRWS kicks ass. I use it all the time when it's not too cold out...

Originally Posted by Skrewologist
touch-free is safe. people always try to create this misconception about them. obviously, car washes with brushes are not good; do they even still make those car washes?

anyway, not to be rude but i agree with seeing something like this in a civic forum. any external mods you use with tape or some other nonbolted item, you have to take into consideration what you are putting your car through. but then again you shouldnt be putting mods on your car than can get ripped off that easily. just my .02

Last edited by legionofdoom; 02-20-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 PM
04 "NBP TL" 6mt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd never take my car to any automatic car washes due to stuff like that happening. One time I bought these brand new wheels and had them on for about a month or soo. Took it to an automatic car wash where you have to drive into those rails and put it in neutral. It curbed all 4 of my wheels by the time I was out. I was so furious!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CHiNaMaN440
I'd never take my car to any automatic car washes due to stuff like that happening. One time I bought these brand new wheels and had them on for about a month or soo. Took it to an automatic car wash where you have to drive into those rails and put it in neutral. It curbed all 4 of my wheels by the time I was out. I was so furious!
This one actually had pretty wide rails but my friend had the same thing happen to his new M35. Luckily they paid for a new rim but it was still a pain to deal with.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:01 AM
邵樂百

Wasn't ranking on your choice to roll through the car wash LOD ... sucks bad that it damaged your car. Have you contacted your insurance yet? They will have your car repaired back to original condition and then they can get reimbursement from the car wash ... it's what you pay your premiums for ... let them do the dirty work(no pun intended)
Old 02-21-2009, 12:57 AM
Advanced

i took my 99 silverado last year to a car wash to get buffed and got that shit back with a silver circle where they took off the freakn paint !! i told my dad to go handle my light weight and got that shit fixed !!! as for my nbp tl hand washed always !! if its too cold then sucks to be my car youre staying durty for a while lmao
Old 02-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by firstacuratl
Wasn't ranking on your choice to roll through the car wash LOD ... sucks bad that it damaged your car. Have you contacted your insurance yet? They will have your car repaired back to original condition and then they can get reimbursement from the car wash ... it's what you pay your premiums for ... let them do the dirty work(no pun intended)
Thanks firstacuratl. I thought about that but I'm guessing that it wouldn't be more than my deductible...