Car is totalled - Need your help please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013 | 03:15 PM
Let regret fade away.

Car is totalled - Need your help please.

Today I got in a front end collision and now my cars a wreck. Guy ran a light with a uhaul truck and I hit him dead on. Now im sitting on the couch with a neck and arm injury (minor) trying to deal with insurance. I had a 2007 acura tl-s 6 speed in mint condition, one owner, 150,000 miles. I need to figure out how much I should get paid out from the insurance company so I can buy a new one. Problem is, not to many people have high mileage cars, or treated the one I had the same way. Anyone have any insight on what I should do? There aren't even any for sale around here.
Old 05-21-2013 | 03:17 PM
Instructor

My 07 TLS with 102k got me 17,900 from insurance, for reference.
The following users liked this post:
mattymac (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013 | 03:17 PM

^you're looking for the true market value.
mattymac (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013 | 03:19 PM
Pro

Do you have recent pictures to show it was mint?
Old 05-21-2013 | 03:19 PM
2007 Type S WDP 5AT

Seeing as im local and in Ontario aswell with an 07 type s with 110,000miles Id say they might give you 18 tops. Mine is pretty mint too because I take care of it. After accidents like this everyone is always upside down. Glad nothing serious happened to you. Any pics of damage??
mattymac (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013 | 03:20 PM
Team Owner

Matt-sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you're OK.
Old 05-21-2013 | 03:44 PM
Let regret fade away.

No pics of the damage right this second, but I will have later today. As for pics of the car being mint, here are a few. Yes I guess I am looking for true market value. Thanks for the kind words. The guy got charged and I am not at fault. They are sending an adjuster out there now. I'm sure this is going to be a fight over how much they are going to pay.

Old 05-21-2013 | 03:50 PM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

The insurance company won't really care how mint your car was.
They usually just pay out whatever the book value is. Based on that they will provide you a payout, you can try to negotiate a slightly better price.

If you have receipts of upgrades and etc you did to the car you can show that to get that cash refunded also.

Take whatever you can off the car and sell privately.

Once they give you the payout you also have the option to buy the car back and fix it or sell it for parts and etc.
Old 05-21-2013 | 03:53 PM
3 2 GONE

Where did the accident happen and glad you aren't more hurt.
Old 05-21-2013 | 04:00 PM
Let regret fade away.

Happened at Browns Like and Lakeshore. Was just driving straight through a green. He tried to make it through after the advanced green ended for his side of the street. What is the book value for the car? Any idea how to get that. There isn't even the same car for sale in Toronto right now. Nothing with similar mileage. They guy at the body shop told me he will argue that it is worth more in this condition etc.
Old 05-21-2013 | 04:16 PM
3 2 GONE

Get a UVIP from the ministry. Has book value in there somewhere.
mattymac (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013 | 04:48 PM
Pro

I was asking about the mint pictures because if those were taken and can be proven to have been taken around the crash date then that can be used to show that you should get the mint price and not the middle of the road.
Old 05-21-2013 | 04:49 PM
Suzuka Master

NADA is showing clean retail at $14650. Big hit for the mileage.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2007/...D-S-3-5/Values
mattymac (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013 | 05:16 PM
Intermediate

First off hope you're ok. Next lawyer up ASAP. This would definitely work best with witness(es). In regards to payout from your insurance the Acura Type S 6-speed is so rare that it would work for your benefit. They would have to go by average pricing of similar vehicle sales in your area for the payout. You should be able to cash out $15K to $17K depending on your adjuster. Don't forget your pain and suffering you may upgrade to a 4th Gen TL.
Old 05-21-2013 | 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

I would say they can pay out really good, I have good experience with insurance pay out (not our fault) I would see they pay you $18k. Glad you are ok tho OP, didn't you just got the car less than a year ago?
Old 05-21-2013 | 08:01 PM
Let regret fade away.

Originally Posted by truonghthe
I would say they can pay out really good, I have good experience with insurance pay out (not our fault) I would see they pay you $18k. Glad you are ok tho OP, didn't you just got the car less than a year ago?
Sadly the car was purchased in November

On the bright side, I kind of wanted white after i bought the black. I guess I can buy one now, if I can find one.
Old 05-21-2013 | 08:39 PM
Pro

Mattymac are you from the Cambridge area there should be some type-s around in Kitchener
Old 05-21-2013 | 09:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TouringXLuxury
First off hope you're ok. Next lawyer up ASAP. This would definitely work best with witness(es). In regards to payout from your insurance the Acura Type S 6-speed is so rare that it would work for your benefit. They would have to go by average pricing of similar vehicle sales in your area for the payout. You should be able to cash out $15K to $17K depending on your adjuster. Don't forget your pain and suffering you may upgrade to a 4th Gen TL.
THIS JUST MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!! You will not get a dollar more for your car because you feel you maintained it better then others and if you get an attorney.

I am a total loss rep for a very large company, the bast way to figure out the average Actual Cash Value of your car is to go to NADA: 16,700.00 Kelly Blue Book: 12,391.00 and Edmunds: 16,748.00. This is in perfect condition and there will be reductions for prior damage if any. You are looking at an average of 15,279.67 + sales tax and DMV fees.

Good luck and I am happy to hear you are alright. Please do everyone that pays insurance a favor and dont play up your injury. Keep in mind if you do get an attorney he/she wont give a damn about what you get for the car as they see none of it. They will get as much as possible for your injury and take a large cut.

Good luck and sorry if I come off as an ass, I just hate when people act like they know what they are talking about when it comes to insurance.

EDIT: I should have bolded that entire post... duh.
The following 3 users liked this post by Comptechtl2367:
dannyz (05-21-2013), OTT3R (05-22-2013), Wacker (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013 | 09:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Lastly dont be surprised if you get partial liability, I know you had a green light but you still have a duty to observe the intersection and us caution when entering (Differs from state to state). It will be minimal but could effect any injury settlement if your "trying to get enough to downgrade... I mean up grade to a 4G".
Wacker (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013 | 10:00 PM
:what:

Great to know there is someone else that has a clue in here!!
Old 05-21-2013 | 10:05 PM
TLicious Type S

Originally Posted by Comptechtl2367
THIS JUST MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!! You will not get a dollar more for your car because you feel you maintained it better then others and if you get an attorney.

I am a total loss rep for a very large company, the bast way to figure out the average Actual Cash Value of your car is to go to NADA: 16,700.00 Kelly Blue Book: 12,391.00 and Edmunds: 16,748.00. This is in perfect condition and there will be reductions for prior damage if any. You are looking at an average of 15,279.67 + sales tax and DMV fees.

Good luck and I am happy to hear you are alright. Please do everyone that pays insurance a favor and dont play up your injury. Keep in mind if you do get an attorney he/she wont give a damn about what you get for the car as they see none of it. They will get as much as possible for your injury and take a large cut.

Good luck and sorry if I come off as an ass, I just hate when people act like they know what they are talking about when it comes to insurance.

So glad you're not hurt badly bro! Did the airbags pop off?

^^^^ This is correct, they will simply give you book value. It's silly to say the car is "rare."--book value reflects surveys of actual market selling prices, which already reflects the demand for the vehicle (rare or not). I have observed on this board that some folks have unrealistically high expectations of what these cars are worth. I understand why--they really love their car.

Your insurance company will give you an offer after their inspection. You might get lucky and negotiate with them a tiny bit over equipment and condition, but they have a process that goes by their book price. If you really think you're getting an unfair settlement, you will have to spend a lot of time escalating several levels up the chain, and even then the number won't change much.

Most reputable insurance firms pay out exactly what the used car is worth--and this is almost always less than the owner thinks it's worth. Every time I've had an insurance settlement, I would have rather had the car intact than get the payout money. Good luck bro!

(My query of NADA Clean Retail shows: '07 Type S at $18,650 - minus $3350 (150K high mileage), minus - $650 (manual trans) = $14,650) I hope you do better--please let us know how it goes.

Last edited by dannyz; 05-21-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2013 | 10:23 PM
Chapter Leader (Eastern Canada)

Glad you're ok! You're looking $18000 top but if you're still looking for a type s 6 speed there is a 6 speed KBP 108000 km in the autotrader private seller $17990
Old 05-21-2013 | 11:10 PM
Instructor

How bad is the damage and How fast were you going? I had my tl hit and everyone on here said it was totalled and it wasn't these cars are pretty cheap to fix.... my thread was called my parked cars got hit if u want to see what mine looked like
Old 05-21-2013 | 11:31 PM
Let regret fade away.

Lastly dont be surprised if you get partial liability, I know you had a green light but you still have a duty to observe the intersection and us caution when entering (Differs from state to state). It will be minimal but could effect any injury settlement if your "trying to get enough to downgrade... I mean up grade to a 4G".
I got zero liability, the guy got charged for running a light. And by no means am I playing up any injury for a potential benefit.

Originally Posted by dannyz
So glad you're not hurt badly bro! Did the airbags pop off?

^^^^ This is correct, they will simply give you book value. It's silly to say the car is "rare."--book value reflects surveys of actual market selling prices, which already reflects the demand for the vehicle (rare or not). I have observed on this board that some folks have unrealistically high expectations of what these cars are worth. I understand why--they really love their car.

Your insurance company will give you an offer after their inspection. You might get lucky and negotiate with them a tiny bit over equipment and condition, but they have a process that goes by their book price. If you really think you're getting an unfair settlement, you will have to spend a lot of time escalating several levels up the chain, and even then the number won't change much.

Most reputable insurance firms pay out exactly what the used car is worth--and this is almost always less than the owner thinks it's worth. Every time I've had an insurance settlement, I would have rather had the car intact than get the payout money. Good luck bro!

(My query of NADA Clean Retail shows: '07 Type S at $18,650 - minus $3350 (150K high mileage), minus - $650 (manual trans) = $14,650) I hope you do better--please let us know how it goes.

Yes I believe both front did. The driver one messed up my arm from holding it in front of the wheel. Its not a "rare" car. I just want to be able to replace it. So all I am looking for is the insurance company to pay out enough to buy another one. If not, then I will have to downgrade vehicles. I have had dealings with insurance companies previously who have taken what the going price for vehicles are when writing them off and giving you what you can buy a new (used) one for.

Originally Posted by abrieluno
Glad you're ok! You're looking $18000 top but if you're still looking for a type s 6 speed there is a 6 speed KBP 108000 km in the autotrader private seller $17990
Thanks, I'll check that out for sure.

Originally Posted by purplehaze9414
How bad is the damage and How fast were you going? I had my tl hit and everyone on here said it was totalled and it wasn't these cars are pretty cheap to fix.... my thread was called my parked cars got hit if u want to see what mine looked like
I was going approximately 35-40km/hr I believe however I wasn't looking at the speedometer. I checked out your post. Mine is definitely worse than those. Engine is all smashed in. Ill post pictures tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2013 | 12:21 AM
Intermediate

Ahh you are an insurance guy. You sure sounded very sensitive about this matter in your response. I have never said he would get more from his insurance company for his car nor did I say he would get more if its well maintained. It's called pain and suffering my friend. And you know he is entitled to it. The guy was hit by a UHAUL truck straight on and you telling him to downplay the situation? It's up to him, but its insurance low ballers like you not wanting attorneys to get involved to really look out for the client as the UHAUL's insurance coverage may not cover for all damages and may be cost that would need to be paid by the victim's insurance company. My suggestion, get an attorney and get checked, minor injury may turn out for the worse if its not looked into.
Old 05-22-2013 | 01:14 AM
UA6
Safety Car

That sucks. Sorry to hear OP.
Old 05-22-2013 | 04:15 AM
Instructor

I want to see pictures lol. My car only cost 5k to fix btw. Parts are very very cheap for these cars. But the adjuster did tell me that when they total they go buy something called black book. From we hat I found online u have to pay for it and I guess the prices r 2-5k lower than kbb. He said my 05 with 90k on it would br around 10k I was furious cuz I paid 14 n had it only 4 months
Old 05-22-2013 | 07:47 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Regarding your car's current value, go on Autotrader and Cars.com to look up cars with similar mileage to find out what they're going for- usually the comps can be used to get a more competitive price for your lost ride if the book value is lower.

Sorry to hear of the accident. I hope you heal quickly.
Old 05-22-2013 | 07:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TouringXLuxury
Ahh you are an insurance guy. You sure sounded very sensitive about this matter in your response. I have never said he would get more from his insurance company for his car nor did I say he would get more if its well maintained. It's called pain and suffering my friend. And you know he is entitled to it. The guy was hit by a UHAUL truck straight on and you telling him to downplay the situation? It's up to him, but its insurance low ballers like you not wanting attorneys to get involved to really look out for the client as the UHAUL's insurance coverage may not cover for all damages and may be cost that would need to be paid by the victim's insurance company. My suggestion, get an attorney and get checked, minor injury may turn out for the worse if its not looked into.
I am very sensitive to people trying to rip people off. I work for a division of a company that writes only heavy truck... so a uhaul is nothing compared to what I am use to. I am not saying for one second he needs to down play and injury but to say he needs and attorney right off the bat is just dumb and ignorant. 1. you get less for a settlement because the atty gets a large cut. 2. Like I said prior, they could care less on how much you get for the car, so it wont help. and 3. The insurance company will not take as serious if all you have is a soft tissue injury (like the op has) and you get an attorney. it shows all you want is money.

OP, it sounds like you have a great head on your shoulders and your not trying to make a ton of money off of this. Just remember the insurance company owes you for the vehicle you were driving and not for a replacement vehicle. It will save you a lot of hastle trying to argue for them to pay you for a vehicle that you found to replace it with. You are owed something for "pain and suffering" but I doubt it will be very much.

I would be happy to help you out if you have any questions or need some guidance, you obviously have a leg to stand on if they come back with an offer you dont like but they only have so much room. Just send me a PM.

Last edited by Comptechtl2367; 05-22-2013 at 07:49 AM.
justnspace (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013 | 07:55 AM

Thank you comptech for your experience and advice.
Old 05-22-2013 | 08:44 AM

Comp is always in the insurance threads whipping people into shape
Old 05-22-2013 | 08:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hahaha. Sorry I get a little defensive when it comes to insurance. The key thing is to remember that we are all human and just trying to do a job. Like all professions there are the exception to the rule trying to flex their nuts.
Old 05-22-2013 | 09:37 AM
Let regret fade away.

Old 05-22-2013 | 09:41 AM
Let regret fade away.

I am very sensitive to people trying to rip people off. I work for a division of a company that writes only heavy truck... so a uhaul is nothing compared to what I am use to. I am not saying for one second he needs to down play and injury but to say he needs and attorney right off the bat is just dumb and ignorant. 1. you get less for a settlement because the atty gets a large cut. 2. Like I said prior, they could care less on how much you get for the car, so it wont help. and 3. The insurance company will not take as serious if all you have is a soft tissue injury (like the op has) and you get an attorney. it shows all you want is money.

OP, it sounds like you have a great head on your shoulders and your not trying to make a ton of money off of this. Just remember the insurance company owes you for the vehicle you were driving and not for a replacement vehicle. It will save you a lot of hastle trying to argue for them to pay you for a vehicle that you found to replace it with. You are owed something for "pain and suffering" but I doubt it will be very much.

I would be happy to help you out if you have any questions or need some guidance, you obviously have a leg to stand on if they come back with an offer you dont like but they only have so much room. Just send me a PM.
Would the amount it costs to replace not equal the value of the vehicle? That would be fair market value in my eyes. I don't care about pain and suffering. They are paying for rehabilitation so that is good. Everyone makes mistakes, I just want my car back.
Old 05-22-2013 | 09:42 AM
Banned

ouch!!!
Old 05-22-2013 | 09:51 AM

Where is the car right now?
Old 05-22-2013 | 09:53 AM
Let regret fade away.

Originally Posted by abrieluno
Where is the car right now?
At a shop waiting to be appraised by the insurance.
Old 05-22-2013 | 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by mattymac
At a shop waiting to be appraised by the insurance.
Which shop if you don't mind me asking? I feel your pain same thing that had happened to me with my CRV 3 years ago so iknow how it feels, which insurace company do you have?
Old 05-22-2013 | 10:20 AM
Instructor

Does the car still run? It looks like u partially drove under his truck
Old 05-22-2013 | 10:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mattymac
Would the amount it costs to replace not equal the value of the vehicle? That would be fair market value in my eyes. I don't care about pain and suffering. They are paying for rehabilitation so that is good. Everyone makes mistakes, I just want my car back.
It is to a point. But your replacement cost could be higher then ACV due to dealer pricing. The insurance company is required by law to pay you ACV and not replacement cost. This protects the insurance company from someone finding a new vehicle with, for example, less miles and a year newer. It is "impossible" for you to find an exact replacement with the same miles and condition which is why they are required to pay ACV. I hope that makes sense.

PS: I am sorry to hear about your car, it was beautiful! To bad I can buy those wheels off of you!

Quick Reply: Car is totalled - Need your help please.